As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/

[Wrestling] Note: Brock Lesnar died on his way to his home planet

• Sweeney TomSweeney Tom Registered User regular
    wirehead, these are my other complaints with this Raw (I'm making this lengthy post so you don't think it's just the recaps and commercials that made this Raw mediocre at best):

They had Sin Cara outsmart Cody Rhodes again by pinning him in a tag match because Rhodes was too busy worrying about pulling off Cara's mask. They're basically rehashing the Rhodes/Rey feud with the mask obsession, and that wasn't good then, and it's not good now.
    AJ skipped around in no less than 3 segments in a row, and then booked Jericho and Ziggler in a match where they both had something at stake to lose, for no reason. Jericho's "career" in the WWE (until the Fozzy stuff ends) ended literally because the crazy face GM was bored and had nothing else to do.
    They keep showcasing Tout when they don't have any commercials to air or recaps to play, and so far the only good Tout I've seen was the one where Brock said he was done with the WWE, and even that was only because the thought of Brock using technology is hilarious.
    The faces, the good guys, do more awful shit than the bad guys. For example: two paragraphs above I mentioned that AJ, the good Raw GM, booked a match that resulted in Jericho losing his career, for no good reason. Shortly after that, Del Rio came out with a legit complaint about him being screwed out of the belt, because he was. AJ then skipped out and listened to his complaint by booking him, again for no reason, into a match with Randy Orton. That's two matches in a row where the good GM made matches just to punish people. And then Sheamus came out to commentate, and pointed out to the ref that Orton's foot was on the ropes when Del Rio pinned Orton. Sheamus, the good guy, got Del Rio in trouble and cost him the match for doing something Sheamus himself did less than a day ago.
    Sandow then beat Brodus Clay via ROLLUP, and then celebrated, but of course because Brodus is the good guy, he beat the shit out of Sandow for daring to have fun after winning a match.
    Backstage, Otunga returned and asked AJ if he could be her lawyer, but he said the word "crazy", which activated AJ's trapcard, which caused her to make him fight the pissed off Big Show. In one hour, AJ booked three ridiculous matches where the only point was to punish people with legit complaints.
    Four actually if you count her ALSO booking Kane to team with Ryder because of Kane tossing Matthews into another planet yesterday. At least they kept continuity and had the match end in no contest after their opponents left and Kane beat the shit out of Ryder.
    The Divas battle royal was actually not a complete fuckup, except the end where Kaitlyn fucked up the finishing clothesline and had to redo it.
    Jericho loses his match and career in the most clean fashion possible, and Ziggler celebrates. So of course being the good guy, Jericho has to beat the shit out of Ziggler because how dare he.
    And then the ending was ridiculous in the sense that Punk came out and pointed out how he'd been disrespected and promised to give Cena a title shot if he'd just admit Punk's the best in the world, and then Cena came out and gave a speech about how awesome the fans are and how much of a suckup he is, and how he'd do anything for love but he won't do that. And then Cena left, and Punk asked Lawler for an apology for how Lawler acted a month ago. Lawler did, but Punk then said he wanted him to admit he was the best in the world, and Lawler would do anything for love but he won't do that. So of course Lawler got kicked the fuck out. So they basically made the WWE champ look like a complainer, Cena look like a suckup, and Lawler look like an idiot because he called Punk the best in the world all the time on commentary but wouldn't do it on the mic in front of everybody. Oh, and the show ended with Punk looking pissed while the Rock/Cena WM replay advert popped up below him. That, and the Heyman promo at the beginning were the funniest things of the night.

411Randle wrote: »
    I'm still unclear why I'm supposed to hate CM Punk. Can somebody explain why what he's doing is bad?

Because apparently people are supposed to like Lawler, even though he's become more insufferable than Cole.
    Because he's being booked to look like a guy who keeps complaining about disrespect, even though like every heel in the company now, all of his complaints are warranted.
    Because he's against Cena, and Cena's super-good-guy.
    Because when all else fails, having somebody attack an announcer is a good way to get boos. Except this time.

I don't know either, friend.

• 411Randle411Randle Librarian Oook.Registered User regular
    I'm still unclear why I'm supposed to hate CM Punk. Can somebody explain why what he's doing is bad?

Because apparently people are supposed to like Lawler, even though he's become more insufferable than Cole.
    Because he's being booked to look like a guy who keeps complaining about disrespect, even though like every heel in the company now, all of his complaints are warranted.
    Because he's against Cena, and Cena's super-good-guy.
    Because when all else fails, having somebody attack an announcer is a good way to get boos. Except this time.

I don't know either, friend.

Oh good, so I'm not the crazy one. This time...

1) Silence 2) Books must be returned by the last date shown 3) Do not interfere with the nature of causality
  • Dyvim TvarDyvim Tvar Registered User regular
    wirehead, these are my other complaints with this Raw (I'm making this lengthy post so you don't think it's just the recaps and commercials that made this Raw mediocre at best):
    They had Sin Cara outsmart Cody Rhodes again by pinning him in a tag match because Rhodes was too busy worrying about pulling off Cara's mask. They're basically rehashing the Rhodes/Rey feud with the mask obsession, and that wasn't good then, and it's not good now.
    AJ skipped around in no less than 3 segments in a row, and then booked Jericho and Ziggler in a match where they both had something at stake to lose, for no reason. Jericho's "career" in the WWE (until the Fozzy stuff ends) ended literally because the crazy face GM was bored and had nothing else to do.
    They keep showcasing Tout when they don't have any commercials to air or recaps to play, and so far the only good Tout I've seen was the one where Brock said he was done with the WWE, and even that was only because the thought of Brock using technology is hilarious.
    The faces, the good guys, do more awful shit than the bad guys. For example: two paragraphs above I mentioned that AJ, the good Raw GM, booked a match that resulted in Jericho losing his career, for no good reason. Shortly after that, Del Rio came out with a legit complaint about him being screwed out of the belt, because he was. AJ then skipped out and listened to his complaint by booking him, again for no reason, into a match with Randy Orton. That's two matches in a row where the good GM made matches just to punish people. And then Sheamus came out to commentate, and pointed out to the ref that Orton's foot was on the ropes when Del Rio pinned Orton. Sheamus, the good guy, got Del Rio in trouble and cost him the match for doing something Sheamus himself did less than a day ago.
    Sandow then beat Brodus Clay via ROLLUP, and then celebrated, but of course because Brodus is the good guy, he beat the shit out of Sandow for daring to have fun after winning a match.
    Backstage, Otunga returned and asked AJ if he could be her lawyer, but he said the word "crazy", which activated AJ's trapcard, which caused her to make him fight the pissed off Big Show. In one hour, AJ booked three ridiculous matches where the only point was to punish people with legit complaints.
    Four actually if you count her ALSO booking Kane to team with Ryder because of Kane tossing Matthews into another planet yesterday. At least they kept continuity and had the match end in no contest after their opponents left and Kane beat the shit out of Ryder.
    The Divas battle royal was actually not a complete fuckup, except the end where Kaitlyn fucked up the finishing clothesline and had to redo it.
    Jericho loses his match and career in the most clean fashion possible, and Ziggler celebrates. So of course being the good guy, Jericho has to beat the shit out of Ziggler because how dare he.
    And then the ending was ridiculous in the sense that Punk came out and pointed out how he'd been disrespected and promised to give Cena a title shot if he'd just admit Punk's the best in the world, and then Cena came out and gave a speech about how awesome the fans are and how much of a suckup he is, and how he'd do anything for love but he won't do that. And then Cena left, and Punk asked Lawler for an apology for how Lawler acted a month ago. Lawler did, but Punk then said he wanted him to admit he was the best in the world, and Lawler would do anything for love but he won't do that. So of course Lawler got kicked the fuck out. So they basically made the WWE champ look like a complainer, Cena look like a suckup, and Lawler look like an idiot because he called Punk the best in the world all the time on commentary but wouldn't do it on the mic in front of everybody. Oh, and the show ended with Punk looking pissed while the Rock/Cena WM replay advert popped up below him. That, and the Heyman promo at the beginning were the funniest things of the night.

Couple of nitpicks:

-Sandow cheated to win (pretty sure he had the tights, might be wrong though since I was making a cup of tea at the time). Booking 101 says it's fine for the face to give the heel his comeuppance if the guy is stupid enough to stick around after a tainted win.

-Kaitlyn didn't fuck up the elimination spot, Eve did. The onus is on the one receiving to make that move go over smoothly for the most part.

-I thought AJ was a chaotic tweener rather than a straight up face. The way she behaved on the show was still pretty stupid either way.

Everything else you're pretty much spot on about.

Everyone is different. Everyone is special.
  • PwnanObrienPwnanObrien He's right, life sucks. Registered User regular
    edited August 2012
    You know, with all the yang that gets talked about ROH as of the Sinclair deal it's at least pro wrestling that doesn't constantly insult the viewer's intelligence.

I can't believe that has become some sort of feature point, but sadly Vince McMahon and Dixie Carter run the two largest promotions in the nation if not the world.

They can put that shit on their iPPV poster.

"Ring of Honor - at least we thought about some of this. Sorry about Bennett's matches."

The background can just be a picture of Jim Cornette shrugging.

PwnanObrien on
    Mwx884o.jpg
  • DoomSong8DoomSong8 Registered User regular
    Jericho's last Raw, for now, was number 1004. How about that.

578991-5FHNJ36.jpg
    XBL:Gravity MD PSN:Gravity1204 Steam:Gravity1204
  • Alistair HuttonAlistair Hutton Dr EdinburghRegistered User regular
    It what world has AJ been portrayed as a "good" or "face" GM?

I have a thoughtful and infrequently updated blog about games http://whatithinkaboutwhenithinkaboutgames.wordpress.com/

I made a game, it has penguins in it. It's pay what you like on Gumroad.

Currently Ebaying Nothing at all but I might do in the future.
  • EvilBadmanEvilBadman DO NOT TRUST THIS MAN Registered User regular
    It what world has AJ been portrayed as a "good" or "face" GM?

She's been screwing over "heels" more often than face, see: Bryan, Otunga, Alberto.

FyreWulff wrote: »
    I should note that Badman is fucking awesome
    XBL- Evil Badman; Steam- EvilBadman; Twitter - EvilBadman
  • LBD_NytetraynLBD_Nytetrayn TorontoRegistered User regular
    Crap, I had a bunch of stuff to say here, and I accidentally just closed the tab. Sigh...

Anyway, on Sandow/Brodus, I imagine the latter still has a beef following the former's sneak attack the other week.

And I'm glad to see Kaitlyn win the Battle Royal.
    DoomSong8 wrote: »

I don't get it.

qjWUWdm.gif1edr1cF.gifINPoYqL.png
    Like Mega Man Legends? Then check out my story, Legends of the Halcyon Era - An Adventure in the World of Mega Man Legends on TMMN and AO3!
  • MonstyMonsty Registered User regular
    DoomSong8 wrote: »
    I don't get it.
    Skip to about 0:30
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=bwzx_e7i4hE

• Eat it You Nasty Pig.Eat it You Nasty Pig. tell homeland security 'we are the bomb'Registered User regular
    when was the last time attacking an announcer got legitimate boos? Whenever JR was last doing RAW?

NREqxl5.jpg
    it was the smallest on the list but
    Pluto was a planet and I'll never forget
  • Alistair HuttonAlistair Hutton Dr EdinburghRegistered User regular
    edited August 2012

@The Geebs That Is A Pony Look, lets face facts. People are sick and tired of the Catsby belt. By this stage it's an overbooked mess with swerves and nonsensical stips. All the real intest is in the Twisp average championship. I know it started off as a joke belt to mock the mid-card but my near flawless performance last month made people sit up an take notice and this months defence, a good clean example of technical picking has got the whole wrestling PPV picking community talking. They know that when they want to see a precise prescient prediction performance it's the "average" players they should pay attention to.

Alistair Hutton on
    I have a thoughtful and infrequently updated blog about games http://whatithinkaboutwhenithinkaboutgames.wordpress.com/

I made a game, it has penguins in it. It's pay what you like on Gumroad.

Currently Ebaying Nothing at all but I might do in the future.
  • ChillyWillyChillyWilly Registered User regular
    Punk is supposed to be a heel and I love him.

Sheamus is supposed to be a face and he steals cars and cheats to win (not in an entertaining Eddie G. kind of way). So I'm supposed to cheer him?

WTF is this. I don't even.

PAFC Top 10 Finisher in Seasons 1 and 3. 2nd in Seasons 4 and 5. Final 4 in Season 6.
  • MichelanvaloMichelanvalo Registered User regular
    does anyone even care that Orton was there last night?

By the way, whoever is going to make the next thread, now would probably be a good time. We got through RAW and got to page 99. Pretty sure that's pushing it. :D

PAFC Top 10 Finisher in Seasons 1 and 3. 2nd in Seasons 4 and 5. Final 4 in Season 6.
  • Zen VulgarityZen Vulgarity What a lovely day for tea Secret British ThreadRegistered User regular
    I like sheamus

• kingworkskingworks Registered User regular
    Shemus is a heel pretending to be a face. The universe hasn't caught on yet.

Makes it much more entertaining that way.

does anyone even care that Orton was there last night?

I don't. I'm pretty sure I've never cared about Orton in any capacity.

• wirehead26wirehead26 Registered User regular
    edited August 2012
    You know, with all the yang that gets talked about ROH as of the Sinclair deal it's at least pro wrestling that doesn't constantly insult the viewer's intelligence.

I can't believe that has become some sort of feature point, but sadly Vince McMahon and Dixie Carter run the two largest promotions in the nation if not the world.

They can put that shit on their iPPV poster.

"Ring of Honor - at least we thought about some of this. Sorry about Bennett's matches."

The background can just be a picture of Jim Cornette shrugging.

ROH is still pretty much boring as shit now, even with the good wrestling. WWE may have a lot of problems but at least I care about the talent there.

And you could argue they insult the intelligence of their audience by having Steen beat up some plants in the crowd in a desperate attempt to stay heel.

wirehead26 on
    I'M NOT FINISHED WITH YOU!!!
  • RadiusRadius Registered User regular
    By the way, whoever is going to make the next thread, now would probably be a good time. We got through RAW and got to page 99. Pretty sure that's pushing it. :D

That ain't how we do it round these parts.

Everyday we stray further from God's light
    Steam Switch FC: 2799-7909-4852
    I figured out why staff was refusing to negotiate with me in EWR. I'm impatient and canceled the initial loading screens. You know, the ones that say not to Ctrl-Alt-Del them.

I'm copying the W*ANG settings from page 1 to try my hand at it.

• I'm An Elk; Shoot MeI'm An Elk; Shoot Me It's Fiddler Crab Season! Registered User regular
    edited August 2012
    Yeah this is my problem now too. WWE wants everyone to hate CM Punk despite everything he says and does being truthful and sort of accurate, while they want us to love AJ for... being shit awful and petty at her new job. I mean, that's AJ's gimmick now, right? "Tee hee, I'm going to make this suck, isn't that adorable?"

Also, yes, I know, anything that happened in the WWE longer than three weeks ago never actually happened, but didn't Vince get, like, "fired" from the WWE because he tried to fire Cena and everything was getting screwed up at the company etc.? And so he came back to... make AJ the Raw GM? That's... that's some great first day back work there, Vince.

Adding in.... yes, there is just something so... endearing about the fans refusing to let WWE tell them to boo Punk. It's like a What chant only not annoying.

I'm An Elk; Shoot Me on
    edited August 2012
    Isn't AJ considered a "neutral" character anyway? And to be honest, I don't think the whole Punk thing is them trying to get Punk booed, they know he has a consistent fanbase no matter what. To me it seems like they're trying to give him his edge back even if they have him complain too much. And seriously, he has a right to complain in this case. I'd much rather have this Punk than straight babyface Punk.

But I completely understand the whole "faces acting like assholes" thing that's going on right now especially regarding Sheamus. Jericho I can kind of understand but not Brodus. It's like they don't know how to make their characters edgy without turning them into dicks.

wirehead26 on
  • Andy JoeAndy Joe We claim the land for the highlord! The AdirondacksRegistered User regular

He tried to bully a man into publicly praising him, and when it didn't work he kicked him in the back of of the head.

XBL: Stealth Crane PSN: ajpet12 3DS: 1160-9999-5810 NNID: StealthCrane Pokemon Scarlet Name: Carmen
    I'm more worried about Cena getting the title back next month but if they're going for Punk/Rock at the Rumble he might just keep it till then. Fingers crossed.

Coming out of the SummerSlam weekend events in Los Angeles, word from sources is that Steve Austin will indeed be wrestling one more match with WWE but that match most likely will not take place at WrestleMania 29 in 2013.

Austin's final match isn't expected to happen until WrestleMania 30 in 2014.

The story is that Austin won't come back for anything but a WrestleMania main event. Those familiar with Austin's situation note that he's not physically or mentally ready for the match to take place next year.

So I guess the doctors think he can do one more match in 2 years. Unless 2 years comes along and they have another checkup and decide again that he isn't able to do it, in which case I hope everybody finally stops talking about Austin. No matter what, after WM 30, Austin's definitely done, and it's at least 10 years too late.

Really, we shouldn't be surprised that WWE books their top faces like dicks most of the time. Name all the top WWE faces since Hogan and except maybe Bret Hart they've all been assholes. Rock and Austin were the peak.

• 411Randle411Randle Librarian Oook.Registered User regular
    Andy Joe wrote: »

He tried to bully a man into publicly praising him, and when it didn't work he kicked him in the back of of the head.

And normally that'd be bad, but on Raw the following happened:

Sheamus gleefully screws with Alberto Del Rio's match after blatantly cheating to retain his title, Chris Jericho beats up Dolph Ziggler for beating him cleanly without shenanigans, Kane attacks his own partner for...um...happening to be in the ring when his actual opponent ran away, and even fun-loving, idol of children everywhere Brodus Clay beats the shit out of Sandow for beating him, while Jerry Lawler, the guy who spent the entire show justifying allllll those actions, gives Punk a half-assed apology for his blatant lie about Punk "turning his back on the WWE Universe" and then won't "lower" himself to admit that the freaking WWE CHAMPION might be the Best in the World, despite being more than willing to say it back when Jericho and Punk were feuding over THE EXACT SAME THING.

Meanwhile, Daniel Bryan is being unfairly persecuted by the GM for...trying to marry her (we only have AJ's speculation that he was going to commit her, after all), Del Rio is justifiably angry at losing a match due to referee error and Sheamus cheating, and Punk is saying nothing that isn't true, and despite having beaten John Cena THREE TIMES now (although I like that they're totally glossing over the Del Rio title reign in between the Summer of Punk reign and Punk's current one), he's not being treated like he's anywhere on the same level as Cena, who gets the main events, the feature matches, the big opponents, and generally treated as a bigger deal than the guy who won the biggest title in the industry and has defended it for over nine months against top-level competition. Quick, who are the bad guys and who are the good guys?

And Punk wasn't even asking for any of that, he just wanted Cena to maybe shake his hand, or admit that yeah, the WWE Champion just might be a better wrestler than Cena. Instead, he gets some weird rant about how football fans don't abandon their teams after losses and Cena can't admit that someone might be better than him because it could damage his fragile little psyche. Correct me if I'm wrong, but if Cena thinks Punk might be better than him, wouldn't admitting it but saying "I'm still going to accept your match and try to beat you" show more drive and determination than what we got? If Cena doesn't think Punk's better than him, then Cena beating Punk is no big deal, because he's beating a guy he's supposed to beat. But if Cena says "you know what, you've been WWE Champion this long, maybe you are better", and then works really hard and beats Punk anyway? That's an actual good story!

1) Silence 2) Books must be returned by the last date shown 3) Do not interfere with the nature of causality
    Regarding the AJ/Bryan thing, come on, you know he was going to have her committed.

edited August 2012
    The best part about the Punk thing is that if he decides to defend his belt against anybody else at Night Of Champions, it'll make him look like a joke, but if he picks Cena, he's basically admitting to the rest of the roster that Cena was right and beating any of them wouldn't mean a thing.

The Rock/Punk match at the Rumble has already been built up with the 1000th episode of Raw, so it makes no sense for Cena to be in a position to win the belt, but if Cena loses at NoC then that hurts the likely Rock/Cena WM rematch. They've basically booked their biggest title into a tremendous clusterfuck of an angle because they're too stupid to go a whole year without Cena in the title picture.

Sweeney Tom on
    How would Cena losing to Punk hurt the Rock/Cena rematch? Cena can afford to take a big loss now and then.

• GonmunGonmun He keeps kickin' me in the dickRegistered User regular
    The best part about the Punk thing is that if he decides to defend his belt against anybody else at Night Of Champions, it'll make him look like a joke, but if he picks Cena, he's basically admitting to the rest of the roster that Cena was right and beating any of them wouldn't mean a thing.

The Rock/Punk match at the Rumble has already been built up with the 1000th episode of Raw, so it makes no sense for Cena to be in a position to win the belt, but if Cena loses at NoC then that hurts the likely Rock/Cena WM rematch. They've basically booked their biggest title into a tremendous clusterfuck of an angle because they're too stupid to go a whole year without Cena in the title picture.

What I would like to see is this...

Punk and Cena at NoC, Punk wins. This causes Cena to wonder whether if Punk's really better and if he's really deserving of being in the title hunt. Cena leaves/disappears for a significant period and comes back to the Rock being champ and him wanting to prove himself. And who better to do that with then the guy who he lost to at the last Wrestlemania?

desc wrote: »
    ~ * swole patrol flying roundhouse kick top performer recognition: April 2014 * ~
    If you have a sec, check out my podcast: War and Beast Twitter Facebook
    wirehead26 wrote: »
    How would Cena losing to Punk hurt the Rock/Cena rematch? Cena can afford to take a big loss now and then.

Cena couldn't beat the Rock even though the Rock hadn't had a singles match in almost a decade. And Cena wouldn't even be able to beat Punk, the guy who (in all likelihood) Rock will beat at the Rumble. The Rock would have nothing to prove, because not only did he beat Cena clean, he beat the guy who beat Cena repeatedly clean. Rock would have literally nothing to gain from accepting the rematch.

• MaximumMaximum Registered User regular
    Cena leaves/disappears for a significant period

wishful thinking

Coming out of the SummerSlam weekend events in Los Angeles, word from sources is that Steve Austin will indeed be wrestling one more match with WWE but that match most likely will not take place at WrestleMania 29 in 2013.

Austin's final match isn't expected to happen until WrestleMania 30 in 2014.

The story is that Austin won't come back for anything but a WrestleMania main event. Those familiar with Austin's situation note that he's not physically or mentally ready for the match to take place next year.

So I guess the doctors think he can do one more match in 2 years. Unless 2 years comes along and they have another checkup and decide again that he isn't able to do it, in which case I hope everybody finally stops talking about Austin. No matter what, after WM 30, Austin's definitely done, and it's at least 10 years too late.

If Austin does do one more match, the 30th anniversary of WM is much better to use that on than the 29th.

• GonmunGonmun He keeps kickin' me in the dickRegistered User regular
    Maximum wrote: »
    Cena leaves/disappears for a significant period

wishful thinking

You and me Maximum. We're like this.

desc wrote: »
    ~ * swole patrol flying roundhouse kick top performer recognition: April 2014 * ~
    If you have a sec, check out my podcast: War and Beast Twitter Facebook
  • BloodsheedBloodsheed Registered User regular
    Andy Joe wrote: »

And normally that'd be bad, but on Raw the following happened:

Sheamus gleefully screws with Alberto Del Rio's match after blatantly cheating to retain his title, Chris Jericho beats up Dolph Ziggler for beating him cleanly without shenanigans, Kane attacks his own partner for...um...happening to be in the ring when his actual opponent ran away, and even fun-loving, idol of children everywhere Brodus Clay beats the shit out of Sandow for beating him, while Jerry Lawler, the guy who spent the entire show justifying allllll those actions, gives Punk a half-assed apology for his blatant lie about Punk "turning his back on the WWE Universe" and then won't "lower" himself to admit that the freaking WWE CHAMPION might be the Best in the World, despite being more than willing to say it back when Jericho and Punk were feuding over THE EXACT SAME THING.

Meanwhile, Daniel Bryan is being unfairly persecuted by the GM for...trying to marry her (we only have AJ's speculation that he was going to commit her, after all), Del Rio is justifiably angry at losing a match due to referee error and Sheamus cheating, and Punk is saying nothing that isn't true, and despite having beaten John Cena THREE TIMES now (although I like that they're totally glossing over the Del Rio title reign in between the Summer of Punk reign and Punk's current one), he's not being treated like he's anywhere on the same level as Cena, who gets the main events, the feature matches, the big opponents, and generally treated as a bigger deal than the guy who won the biggest title in the industry and has defended it for over nine months against top-level competition. Quick, who are the bad guys and who are the good guys?

And Punk wasn't even asking for any of that, he just wanted Cena to maybe shake his hand, or admit that yeah, the WWE Champion just might be a better wrestler than Cena. Instead, he gets some weird rant about how football fans don't abandon their teams after losses and Cena can't admit that someone might be better than him because it could damage his fragile little psyche. Correct me if I'm wrong, but if Cena thinks Punk might be better than him, wouldn't admitting it but saying "I'm still going to accept your match and try to beat you" show more drive and determination than what we got? If Cena doesn't think Punk's better than him, then Cena beating Punk is no big deal, because he's beating a guy he's supposed to beat. But if Cena says "you know what, you've been WWE Champion this long, maybe you are better", and then works really hard and beats Punk anyway? That's an actual good story!

Ziggler getting beat up is kind of Ziggler's thing. Brodus is... well yeah, that one is stupid.

They showed Daniel talking with the men in the white coats before the wedding, even had King comment on it during the scene. And Bryan had several lines in his vows that hinted at it with the subtlety of a brick to the face. They absolutely showed proof that was what Bryan was planning.

There is no defense of Sheamus, his character has always been a bully-but-a-face on top of being (IMO) the most boring thing on WWE television (second most boring to me? Del Rio's this-weeks-promo-same-as-last-weeks-promo, so that entire feud has been just wonderful...).

Subtle Heel Punk is a favorite of mine because it is never what he says, it's how he says it. It's the same thing as Summer of Punk-Punk. The only problem with that character is the fans will never boo him for long, but I'd still prefer it to Babyface Punk. Cena directly saying "yeah, you're better than me" is never going to be in the Cena character, so that whole storyline idea doesn't work.

I really never got the feeling Kane was supposed to be a "Face". He was a tweener at most, a further use of Kane-As-A-Weapon seems more accurate.

King is just Horrible. I'm talking I can't decide if I hate King or Tout more on any given Raw Horrible.

Xbox Live, Steam, PSN: Eclibull
    wirehead26 wrote: »

Cena couldn't beat the Rock even though the Rock hadn't had a singles match in almost a decade. And Cena wouldn't even be able to beat Punk, the guy who (in all likelihood) Rock will beat at the Rumble. The Rock would have nothing to prove, because not only did he beat Cena clean, he beat the guy who beat Cena repeatedly clean. Rock would have literally nothing to gain from accepting the rematch.

They could have Cena win the Rumble again.

Oh yes, the prestigious Royal Rumble that once had Santino Marella in the final 2. That's a sure way to gain credibility in the eyes of the guy who beat you in his first singles match in almost a decade, or in the eyes of the guy who's beaten you over and over again even with your career on the line.

edited August 2012
    Sheamus' style of face works when he's facing off against heels who are even bigger dicks than he is.

But Del Rio isn't doing that. Using phony cops to beat up a guy in a group isn't a bigger dick than destroying a $300k Ferrari. It's about the same level.

If they really want us to believe that Sheamus is the face here, then Del Rio needs to do something over the top heel....like drive a semi into Sheamus' ambulance.
    and even THAT didn't work.

Michelanvalo on
This discussion has been closed.