As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/

[No Solution] My old posts are gone, and this broke some threads. Sorry about the mess.

jdarksunjdarksun StrugglerVARegistered User regular
Title basically says it all. When I view my profile, no threads, posts, or messages appear under their respective categories (despite category rollup indications otherwise).

Edit: Update. Everything I've ever done here is gone. All the threads I've made, all the posts I've made, everything no longer exists.

Edit 2: Issue identified, there is no resolution. Fare ye well, jdarksun's posts August 12, 2003 - August 5, 2012.

jdarksun on

• korodullinkorodullin What. SCRegistered User regular
    Did you also create the current Old Republic thread that was in the MMO forum? If so, then that might explain why it suddenly disappeared today.

ZvOMJnu.png
    - The Four Horsemen of the Apocalypse (2017, colorized)
  • jdarksunjdarksun Struggler VARegistered User regular
    korodullin wrote: »
    Did you also create the current Old Republic thread that was in the MMO forum? If so, then that might explain why it suddenly disappeared today.
    Yes, I did.

• EgosEgos Registered User regular
    Somehow doubt this is related (since I know little about this). But am curious if those who got badges relating to years on-board but not comments may be affected (that is to say if it's more than just you or if this becomes more than just as isolated case).

May be an idiotic theory. Unless there is some reason the system isn't recognizing all the posts.

• Erin The RedErin The Red The Name's Erin! Woman, Podcaster, Dungeon Master, IT nerd, Parent, Trans. AMA Baton Rouge, LARegistered User regular
    I've got the badges for being here 8 years, but no post count badge. My creations are still there, as far as I can tell

• EgosEgos Registered User regular
    Yeah I know I'm in a similar boat and quite a few others. If it happened to be related and jd was the first..it would be quite a wipe :I

Kinda doubt it, but who knows.

• EsseeEssee The pinkest of hair. Victoria, BCRegistered User regular
    Post count badges (as well as practically everything except the membership year ones) were turned off... There may or may not be certain people who DO have the badges, I guess, but overall nobody's supposed to have them. So that's not related to this.

Egos wrote: »
    Somehow doubt this is related (since I know little about this). But am curious if those who got badges relating to years on-board but not comments may be affected (that is to say if it's more than just you or if this becomes more than just as isolated case).

May be an idiotic theory. Unless there is some reason the system isn't recognizing all the posts.
    I was wondering if it had to do with naturally acquiring the 9 anniversary badge (I joined August 12, 2003 9:45AM), but that's not it because both Kato and zhen_rogue just hit nine and their profiles are fine.

• KiTAKiTA Registered User regular
    Er, could this be some kind of weird database corruption? Or a bug with the new software? The forums aren't showing new pages either, so...

It seems kinda... specific.

KiTA wrote: »
    Er, could this be some kind of weird database corruption? Or a bug with the new software? The forums aren't showing new pages either, so...

Yeah, those are all threads I posted in. So it seems to come back to my profile. :|

• MichelanvaloMichelanvalo Registered User regular
    Your profile shows 10 posts.

Something about your posts / post count broke EVERYTHING.

I think my profile got corrupted, and when I posted about my corrupted profile, the forums established a new link between the new post and my profile... unlinking all my old posts. Hopefully, restoring the posts (and thread functionality) is as easy (I guess "easy") as re-establishing the link.

I'm really, really hoping my posts aren't gone forever. It isn't about the post count; I'm going to miss all the roleplaying posts I've made.

• Erin The RedErin The Red The Name's Erin! Woman, Podcaster, Dungeon Master, IT nerd, Parent, Trans. AMA Baton Rouge, LARegistered User regular
    jdarksun wrote: »

I think my profile got corrupted, and when I posted about my corrupted profile, the forums established a new link between the new post and my profile... unlinking all my old posts. Hopefully, restoring the posts (and thread functionality) is as easy (I guess "easy") as re-establishing the link.

I'm really, really hoping my posts aren't gone forever. It isn't about the post count; I'm going to miss all the roleplaying posts I've made.

See, he's Jdarksun. You're jdarksun. Stop trying to steal his work, imposter

jdarksun wrote: »
    KiTA wrote: »

Yeah, those are all threads I posted in. So it seems to come back to my profile. :|

Theory: Those threads will show new pages when the post count - your missing posts syncs up with what "should" cause a new page to appear.

Hopefully it's just a desync thing and the forums need re-indexing.

• TubeTube Registered User admin
    This actually happened because I catastrophically fucked something up. There are some bugs in our spam filter that need to be fixed. My apologies.

edited August 2012
    This actually happened because I catastrophically fucked something up. There are some bugs in our spam filter that need to be fixed. My apologies.

Will his posts come back after the fix? And will the threads fix themselves?

KiTA on
    Those posts are gone. All I can do is apologise.

I don't want to go into detail because I don't want to post information that could help people get round our filters, but we are supposed to have safeguards to stop something like this from happening. Either those safeguards did not work or they are not implemented on the new software. Either way, this was a titanic fuck up on our part.

Unless @ramius or @icyliquid have any ideas, my guess I'd that we won't be able to recover any data.

With the recent forum migration to the new software, perhaps you could have the database guys extract jdarksun's posts and reinsert them into the tables? Been a while since I've done any SQL...

Those posts are gone. All I can do is apologise.
    Damn. Oh well. Thanks for trying, tube! I appreciate you looking into it.

If there is some way to restore just one thread, the Marvel Heroic RPG Event I was getting set to run had several posts that five other users had put a lot of time and effort into. Google has a cache that's a few days old, so it's not a total loss, but I'm sure Grog and Sneaks would be super appreciative if their posts could be recovered.

If not, oh well. We'll survive. :)

• NullzoneNullzone Registered User regular
    edited August 2012
    So uh. This didn't just fubar jdark's posts, because an entire page of my Arkham Horror thread is missing.

I know it's already been declared as "nothing to be done" just wanted to make sure someone was aware it did more than just nuke one person or some subset of people; the thread has no posts after the 27th, but we've been posting in it as recently as Friday.

Nullzone on
  • El SkidEl Skid The frozen white northRegistered User regular
    edited August 2012
    Nullzone wrote: »
    So uh. This didn't just fubar jdark's posts, because an entire page of my Arkham Horror thread is missing.

I know it's already been declared as "nothing to be done" just wanted to make sure someone was aware it did more than just nuke one person or some subset of people; the thread has no posts after the 27th, but we've been posting in it as recently as Friday.

Actually, the pages aren't missing, @Nullzone- they just aren't presumed to be there. There are 17 pages currently visible in the thread (it only lists up to 17, #latest url goes to bottom of page 17). But if you go to page 16, manually edit the url to page 18 or 19, the pages are there and viewable.

So no data lost, just the forum doesn't realize there are two pages when it displays the thread, and pretends they don't exist.

Edit: this is the last page in the thread, but if I go to the latest page by clicking on the bookmark, I get page 17, along with the navigation on the top and bottom only going to 17,

Edit2: Since jdark is in the game, probably the forum is not counting his posts in the total pagecount, but the posts are counting in the posts per page. So basically jdark's 2 pages worth of posts are taking up 2 pages of space, but are being excluded from the logic of "x posts / y posts per page = z pages of posts".

El Skid on
  • NullzoneNullzone Registered User regular
    edited August 2012
  • AthenorAthenor Battle Hardened Optimist The Skies of HiigaraRegistered User regular
    It's probably too much to ask/check to see if the old backup from the move to Vanilla still exist? That way he'd only lose a year, assuming they could be re-integrated...

It's a really, REALLY long shot, especially given the titanic amount of data around this place.

... As consolation, jdarksun should totally get a badger out of this. :D

He/Him | "A boat is always safest in the harbor, but that’s not why we build boats." | "If you run, you gain one. If you move forward, you gain two." - Suletta Mercury, G-Witch
  • IcyLiquidIcyLiquid Two Steaks Montreal, QuebecAdministrator, Vanilla Staff vanilla
    I'll get some of these posts back.

That would be amazing if you could, IcyLiquid. If you can't, don't stress - we've got the Marvel RPG I was about to run back on track. The posts that had real value to me were the RPGs I played in (and started) in Critical Failures / Of Dice and Men, and most of them are old enough that I'm able to reclaim bits through Google cache.

• DhalphirDhalphir don't you open that trapdoor you're a fool if you dareRegistered User regular
    Can the wayback machine get any of them?