As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

[Twilight Imperium] Game 5 - Round 8: Game Over!

• Options
    GrimmyTOAGrimmyTOA Registered User regular
    Sorry for the delay, and no time for an IC post, I'm afraid.

However, The Universities believe that knowledge is the foundation of prosperity. Furthermore, we believe that money is the root of the research grants that allow the knowledge that creates the prosperity, and we therefore:

Activate the Primary ability of our Trade (II) Strategy Card. We receive 3 Trade Goods. As there are no existing agreements between players, no further goods are allotted. Finally, we open trade negotiations among all players, reminding them that the Universities must approve all new trade agreements.

Errr.... is that okay, @MrBlarney? I wasn't sure whether to do it in basic blue or in the colors of the undaunted Circumlocutory Cephalopods (Gooooooo Cephs!).

• Options
    MrBlarneyMrBlarney Registered User regular
    That's fine, players/teams are quite welcome to use their racial color to indicate their official actions. Don't forget to list your updated TG amount, since your action affected it.

Floor is open for discussion regarding Trade Agreements, and will remain so until either the Jol-Nar deem negotiations closed or I get fed up enough to tell everyone to start moving on (which I will give plenty of fair warning about).

4463rwiq7r47.png
  • Options
    KilnagaKilnaga Registered User regular
    @Orange Soda @SeGaTai

If the Creuss' offer of trade between our two great peoples still stands, the L1z1x would not be against such an agreement.

"The psychedelic mind is a higher dimensional mind, it is not fit for three dimensional space time."
    - Terence McKenna
  • Options
    SeGaTaiSeGaTai Registered User regular
    The ghosts will over 2 for 3 to jolnar, will gift 1 TG due to the imbalance when we get it.

Offer 2 for 2 to muaat.

l1x1z if either of those fall threw we can deal but frankly your contract just isn't worth as much

PSN SeGaTai
  • Options
    MrBodyMrBody Registered User regular
    edited August 2012
    Hmmm..haven't heard from my partner in 2 days so I'll go ahead with negotiations.

(We're Yin)
    Don't trust those organics, L1z1x! They'll never understand ugly 1/1 trade contract species like you and I. What say we swap 1 contracts and live in beautiful harmony?

Naalu? Swap 1 contracts also?

MrBody on
  • Options
    Iron WeaselIron Weasel Dillon! You son of a bitch!Registered User regular
    We cannot fault your logic, SeGatai.

The L1Z1X propose an economic alliance between themselves and the Naalu Collective - 1 for 1. Alternately, if the Snake Queen were to agree to a 2-to-1 trade, the L1Z1X would immediately forgive the debt currently owed to us by the Naalu, and would consider ours an iron-clad alliance.

We further propose a 1-for-1 trade with the Yin Brotherhood, whose efforts to defeat their own biology are admirable.

(@stever777, @MrBody and @BertezBertez)

Currently Playing:
    The Division, Warframe (XB1)
    GT: Tanith 6227
  • Options
    Yin accepts L1z1X's 1-1 trade contract.

We both have a 1 contract remaining.

That sweet sweet 1 contract is still up for grabs to whoever wants it!

• Options
    calibercaliber Registered User regular
    edited August 2012
    The Yin's mastery of biological sciences will prove very useful in terms of research grants. Jol-Nar would extend our 1 contract for Yin's 1 contract.

We will also accept the Ghost's offer of our 3 for their 2, with 1 TG coming to correct for the imbalance. Make the grants always be in your favor!

TG/AC/PC: 3/0/2
    SA/FS/CC: 2/3/3

caliber on
  • Options
    Please note! The proposed contract between Yin and L1z1x is not set until approved by the Jol-Nar!

4463rwiq7r47.png
  • Options
    Yin will accept Jol-Nar's 1 contract in exchange for them also approving our 1 contract with L1z1x.

• Options
    stever777stever777 AFK most Saturdays Registered User regular
    The Naalu Collective -
    The Snake Queen accepts the economic alliance between the L1Z1X and ourselves - on the 1 for 1 basis.
    If anyone has a 2 for 2 trade they would like to propose, we are listening, Creuss & Muatt.
    Not sure what's still available, as the discussions are not finalized.

Hosting Android: Netrunner - Thread 2: The Revenge

The Black Hole of Cygnus X-1
  • Options
    Void SlayerVoid Slayer Very Suspicious Registered User regular
    The Embers of Muaat-
    Muaat will agree to the trade with the Cruess of their Cruess Trade[2] for my Muaat Trade[2]

However, Orange Soda and SeGaTaI, though our borders are not yet finalized, I assure you that hostile movements will be met with a supernova appropriate action.

To Stever of the 777 minds, I do not foresee us coming into direct conflict for many reason so a trade with the Naalu would be a great idea. We can offer you many trade goods which can only be forged in the convection zone of a star.

@stever777
    Muaat will propose a trade to the Naalu of my Muaat Trade[2] for Naalu Trade[2].

He's a shy overambitious dog-catcher on the wrong side of the law. She's an orphaned psychic mercenary with the power to bend men's minds. They fight crime!
  • Options
    edited August 2012
    Hacan traders continue to buzz about the galaxy, preparing to facilitate the opening of trade routes between all races, but only if the Jol-Nar deem them to be allowed...

Current Trade Status
    A Trade Agreement is established between the Jol-Nar [3] and Creuss [2].
    A Trade Agreement is proposed between the Yin [1] and L1z1x [1], still to be approved by Jol-Nar.
    A Trade Agreement is proposed between the Jol-Nar [1] and Yin [1], still to be approved by Jol-Nar and conditional on the approval of the Yin-L1z1x agreement.
    A Trade Agreement is proposed between the Naalu [1] and L1z1x [1], still to be approved by Jol-Nar.
    A Trade Agreement is proposed between the Muaat [2] and Creuss [2], still to be approved by Jol-Nar.
    A Trade Agreement is proposed between the Muaat [2] and Naalu [2], still to be approved by Jol-Nar and verified by the Naalu.

MrBlarney on
    4463rwiq7r47.png
  • Options
    We shall sea what the Jol-Nar decide, the Councillor thought. It's better to have fronds rather than anemones.

Hmm, time for a diagnostic.

Currently Playing:
  • Options
    The Admissions Department of the Universities of Jol-Nar expresses confusion as to their receipt of the proposed trade agreements, passes them off to Comparative Economy, which hands them to the newly-formed Theology and Cryptozoology. Dean Gazoo (Great) Approves all deals listed in MrBlarney's 5:16 am update.

As an aside to the Yin Brotherhood, your attempt to coerce the Universities was both distasteful and unnecessary, as we were not considering vetoing your agreement with the Mindnet.

• Options
    Splendid!

In recognition of your great wisdom, we shall make certain that your people are fed into only our most luxurious assimilation vats.

Currently Playing:
  • Options
    Wonderful! Your repurposed circuitry will likewise be used only in post-graduate labwork.

Cigars and whiskey for everyone!

• Options
    GrimmyTOA wrote: »
    As an aside to the Yin Brotherhood, your attempt to coerce the Universities was both distasteful and unnecessary, as we were not considering vetoing your agreement with the Mindnet.

The Yin Brotherhood has to cover its ass, since it's the same one ass.

• Options
    @Void Slayer next I believe

• Options
    The Naalu Collective -
    The Snake Queen agrees to the offer of a 2 for 2 trade with The Embers of Muaat.

• Options
    Orange SodaOrange Soda Registered User regular
    @SeGaTai nice handling of trade. I look forward to our new trade partners.

At L1X1X, I think you got a good deal with some powerful partners, but don't take this as a sign of aggression or war. We would still like to work with you. Should any military objectives come up, we will gladly trade them equally with you, so we don't have to worry about losing a trade agreement. (i.e. I destroyed ships in battle type objectives.... we can make it so we both claim them!)

• Options
    The Embers of Muaat-
    Muaat will agree to the trade with the Cruess of their Cruess Trade[2] for my Muaat Trade[2]

However, Orange Soda and SeGaTaI, though our borders are not yet finalized, I assure you that hostile movements will be met with a supernova appropriate action.

To Stever of the 777 minds, I do not foresee us coming into direct conflict for many reason so a trade with the Naalu would be a great idea. We can offer you many trade goods which can only be forged in the convection zone of a star.

@stever777
    Muaat will propose a trade to the Naalu of my Muaat Trade[2] for Naalu Trade[2].

Your threat of a supernova made me smile IRL. I love muaat's new racial tech SOOO MUCH.

We will be taking the following systems:
    Mirage
    Lodor
    Tequ'ran
    Wellon

You may have tar'mann on the condition that you will not place any PDS there. Ever.

We will provide a similar arrangement with mirrage and agree not to place any PDS there.

• Options
    Hmmm, seems fair enough Ghosts, when I place defenses in Tar'man they will not be PDS systems.

If there are no more trade contracts,

Muaat
    I spend a Command Pool Counter to activate the Centauri/Gral system and perform a Tactical Action.
    A warsun and four ground forces move from Muaat to Centauri/Gral.
    I land two ground forces on Centauri and two ground forces on Gral. I take both planets.

TG/AC/PC: 0/0/0
    SA/FS/CC: 1/3/2

He's a shy overambitious dog-catcher on the wrong side of the law. She's an orphaned psychic mercenary with the power to bend men's minds. They fight crime!
  • Options
    edited August 2012
    Round 1: Action Phase Update 2

The L1z1x Mindnet: Activate Saudor System. (CP 3 --> 2)
    Move in 1 Dreadnought and 1 Ground Force from L1z1x Home System.
    Land 1 Ground Force on Saudor.
    Universities of Jol-Nar: Play Primary Ability of the (5) Trade II Strategy Card, collecting 3 Trade Goods. (TG 0 --> 3)
    A Trade Agreement is established between the Jol-Nar [3] and Creuss [2].
    A Trade Agreement is established between the Yin [1] and L1z1x [1].
    A Trade Agreement is established between the Jol-Nar [1] and Yin [1].
    A Trade Agreement is established between the Naalu [1] and L1z1x [1].
    A Trade Agreement is established between the Muaat [2] and Creuss [2].
    A Trade Agreement is established between the Muaat [2] and Naalu [2].
    The Embers of Muaat: Activate Centauri-Gral System. (CP 3 --> 2)
    Move in 1 Warsun and 4 Ground Forces from Muaat Home System.
    Land 2 Ground Forces on Centauri and 2 Ground Forces on Gral.

Current Map: Round 1, Action Phase Update 2

Current Technologies

Victory Points and Objectives
    Universities of Jol-Nar: 0 VP
    The Naalu Collective: 0 VP
    The L1z1x Mindnet: 0 VP
    The Ghosts of Creuss: 0 VP
    The Embers of Muaat: 0 VP
    The Yin Brotherhood: 0 VP

Public Objectives
    [1 VP] I now spend 3 Command Counters from my Command and/or Strategy Allocation areas.:

Secret Objectives
    Universities of Jol-Nar: 1 Secret Objective
    The Naalu Collective: 1 Secret Objective
    The L1z1x Mindnet: 1 Secret Objective
    The Ghosts of Creuss: 1 Secret Objective
    The Embers of Muaat: 1 Secret Objective
    The Yin Brotherhood: 1 Secret Objective

Universities of Jol-Nar - caliber and GrimmyTOA:
    Trade Goods: 3
    Action Cards: 0
    Political Cards: 2

Strategy Allocation: 2
    Fleet Supply: 3
    Command Pool: 3

Trade Contracts: Creuss [2], Yin [1]
    Technology: Hylar V Assault Laser, Antimass Deflectors, Enviro Compensator, Sarween Tools

Worlds:
    R - Jol (1R, 2I)
    R - Nar (2R, 3I)
    The Naalu Collective - stever777:
    Trade Goods: 0

Command Pool: 3

Trade Contracts: L1z1x [1], Muaat [2]
    Technology: Antimass Deflectors, Enviro Compensator

Worlds:
    R - Maaluuk (0R, 2I)
    R - Druaa (3R, 1I)
    X - Bereg (3R, 1I, R)
    The L1z1x Mindnet - Kilnaga and Iron Weasel:

Strategy Allocation: 3
    Command Pool: 2

Trade Contracts: Naalu [1], Yin [1]
    Technology: Enviro Compensator, Stasis Capsules, Cybernetics, Hylar V Assault Laser

Worlds:
    R - [0.0.0] (5R, 0I)
    X - Saudor (2R, 2I)
    The Ghosts of Creuss - Orange Soda and SeGaTai:

Trade Contracts: Jol-Nar [3], Muaat [2]
    Technology: Antimass Deflectors, XRD Transporters

Worlds:
    R - Creuss (4R, 2I)
    X - Lodor (3R, 1I, G)
    The Embers of Muaat - Void Slayer:
    Political Cards: 0

Strategy Allocation: 1

Trade Contracts: Naalu [2], Creuss [2]
    Technology: Enviro Compensator, Sarween Tools, War Sun

Worlds:
    X - Muaat (4R, 1I)
    X - Capha (3R, 0I)
    X - Centauri (1R, 3I)
    X - Gral (1R, 1I, B)
    The Yin Brotherhood - MrBody and BertezBertez:

Trade Contracts: Jol-Nar [1], L1z1x [1]
    Technology: Hylar V Assault Laser, Automated Defense Turrets

Worlds:
    R - Darien (2R, 4I)
    X - Hercalor (1R, 0I, Y)
    X - Tiamat (1R, 2I, Y)

Neutral Worlds
    N - Mecatol Rex (1R, 6I)
    N - Abaddon (1R, 0I, R)
    N - Arinam (1R, 2I, B)
    N - Ashtroth (2R, 0I)
    N - Faunus (1R, 3I, G (x2))
    N - Lirta IV (2R, 3I, G)
    N - Loki (1R, 2I)
    N - Mallice (0R, 3I)
    N - Meer (0R, 4I)
    N - Mirage (1R, 2I, F (x2))
    N - Quann (2R, 1I, G)
    N - Qucen'n (1R, 2I)
    N - Rarron (0R, 3I, G)
    N - Rigel I (0R, 1I, G)
    N - Rigel II (1R, 2I)
    N - Rigel III (1R, 1I, B)
    N - Tar'mann (1R, 1I)
    N - Tequ'ran (2R, 0I, R)
    N - Thibah (1R, 1I)
    N - Torkan (0R, 3I, B)
    N - Vefut II (2R, 0I, R)
    N - Vega Major (2R, 1I)
    N - Vega Minor (1R, 2I, B)
    N - Wellon (1R, 2I)

Order of Play
    The Naalu Collective: (0) Diplomacy II Current Turn
    The Ghosts of Creuss: (1) Leadership
    The Yin Brotherhood: (3) Assembly
    The L1z1x Mindnet: (4) Production
    Universities of Jol-Nar: (5) Trade II
    The Embers of Muaat: (7) Technology II

@stever777 is up to act.

MrBlarney on
    4463rwiq7r47.png
  • Options
    Naalu

Take a Tactical Action, activating Bereg system

Move Carrier w/Fighter, Destroyer and 1 GF from Druaa.
    Land GF on Lirta IV.

TG/AC/PC: 0/0/2
    SA/FS/CP: 2/3/2

• Options
    Creuss

Activate Creuss system to build one carrier and 2 GFs, exhausting Creuss(4)

TG/AC/PC: 0/0/2
    SA/FS/CP:2/3/1

PSN SeGaTai
  • Options
    @MrBody and @BertezBertez are up

PSN SeGaTai
  • Options
    Yin

Activate Vefut II system. Move 1 carrier + 1 ground force from Darien to there. Land ground force on Vefut II.

• Options
    Aaaaaaaaaaand @Kilnaga and @Iron Weasel are up! :D

"The psychedelic mind is a higher dimensional mind, it is not fit for three dimensional space time."
    - Terence McKenna
  • Options
    Anyone know if Bertez has been around? I haven't heard from him in over 4 days.

• Options
    How much would players say alliances matter in getting a win?
    Never played this FtF and am just wondering how it might work out, esp if players can talk secretly.
    CitOW & Diplomacy are sooooo different IRL than by post.
    Wondering if this is the case here, too.

• Options
    Alliances are only as necessary as other players make then. If 3 players form a strong alliance you should too.

If everyone trades but keeps a standing force at their neighbors door step then don't trust anyone.

PSN SeGaTai
  • Options
    SeGaTai wrote: »
    Alliances are only as necessary as other players make then. If 3 players form a strong alliance you should too.

If everyone trades but keeps a standing force at their neighbors door step then don't trust anyone.

And that seems to be the way things are headed currently. Also, We can't talk secretly, correct? I thought all player to player conversation had to be in thread (except when communicating with your partner if you have one).

- Terence McKenna
  • Options
    edited August 2012
    They don't seem too necessary. From what I've read, the biggest mistake new players make is treating it like a traditional area control and conquest game. That wiping out even one player is tough and more than one is extremely unlikely. Most games are decided by deterrents, judicious military use in capturing a couple key worlds while making sure no one can snipe your homeworld, and staying flexible to claim victory points.

MrBody on
  • Options
    I've played about 30+ games of TI. (maybe more... who knows.. I think I've played every race at least once... most a few times) I've never seen a single player get completely wiped out. The closest we came was actually a game recently, where one player had 1 leader left on one planet and a few ground forces and space dock left on his blockaded homeworld. One of the guys we play with never builds enough ground forces to actually conquer the planets he takes over.

In our real life games alliances DO win the game. The best alliances exist just so long as they are mutually beneficial. The trick is to keep the alliances beneficial for both parties so that there is no reason to turn on your alliance partner ever.

If I can play a TI game without ever having to resort to war, I will. War is costly. Breaking alliances is costly. On the flip side of that, being afraid to make war when it is necessary will lose you the game. Not targeting players who will win without you intervening will cost you the game. It is a wonder and beautiful tight rope and I love this game for that.

The best part is that sometimes you can literally cripple a player JUST by getting everyone else in the game to use assembly in a way to cripple them. You can get the right card at the right time to completely change the course of the game. (there is a law that you can pass that prevents ANYONE from invading mecatol rex EVER while that law is in place.... if a player already occupies it... they can't lose it. I've seen that one win a game before by preventing most of the players from being able to get their secret objective).

There is no right or wrong way to play TI. You can play this game like Risk if you want to... and you can win that way. You can play this game like Diplomacy and win that way. You can play this game like Hungry Hungry Hippos (okay I'm just naming board games now)...

In short, don't be afraid to make mistakes. Don't be afraid to try to do something fun just to do it.

The last game that I played, I stole the racial ability of a race that lets you steal a technology when you destroy a ship in battle. Since we both had the same racial ability for the turn, and no trade agreement, we purposely made the most cost efficient battles in order to trade as much technology that turn. I believe that I gained 4 or 5 techs in one turn. The best part was that I claimed ZERO objectives which involved technology. It ended up just being something fun and absurd to do!

• Options
    Thanks, all, for the input.
    Kilnaga wrote: »
    Also, We can't talk secretly, correct? I thought all player to player conversation had to be in thread (except when communicating with your partner if you have one).

This is correct, which is very different than in PbP Diplomacy, which is totally secretive.
    You don't even get to know who may be talking to whom, much less about what.

• Options
    Activate the Primary Ability of (4) Production. Receive 2 free Resources.
    Exhaust 0.0.0 (5R) and discard one Political Card (1 TG) for total 8R.

Build two dreadnoughts in 0.0.0. The system is not activated.

Discarded Political Card: Labor Force Politics (LAW)

Other players may now PLAY or PASS

Then it will be Jol-Nar's turn.

Currently Playing:
  • Options
    edited August 2012
    Yin PASS

MrBody on
  • Options
    Muaat PASS

• Options
    edited August 2012
    Production Secondary Status

The Ghosts of Creuss:
    The Embers of Muaat: PASS
    The Yin Brotherhood: PASS
    Universities of Jol-Nar: PASS
    The Naalu Collective: PASS

MrBlarney on
    4463rwiq7r47.png