As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/

[Dust 514] Internet Cyborg Space Marines

• DisrupterDisrupter Registered User regular
    How does one have a setup condusive to KBM from their couch? I know I dont have a good way to do that. Honestly KBM support will likely end up being why I dont play this game. I dont want to use it, I dont like PC FPS, I like the controller, I like relaxing on my couch. I know I wont be competitive with such a setup when they allow KBM.

Which is pretty silly of them, because COD and Halo and all the massively popular console shooters dont use KBM. If they want this to be successful they should be trying to grab that market, rather than the PC gaming crowd which probably doesnt have a PS3 anyway.

616610-1.png
  • LochielLochiel Registered User regular
    I haven't played Dust yet (no PS3, but I did have a Beta invite at one point). But it's my understanding that it tends to be slower and more tactical. If that is the case, then does the difference between KBM and controller matter that much? ie; if the game doesn't have headshots (ie, no reward for twitch accuracy), does it really matter?

• GarthorGarthor Registered User regular
    edited July 2012
    It's not as if headshots are the sole reward for accuracy, they're just a (generally absurdly overvalued) bonus on top of the already existing "you must be pointing at dude to shoot dude" thing. Additionally, the advantage of mouse and keyboard is the ability to turn at an arbitrary rate, which is something not available for controllers (generally, you turn at one moderately fast rate that still can't compare to the speed of a mouse, and that gets slowed down whenever your reticule is pointed near an enemy).

Garthor on
  • Just Some DudeJust Some Dude Registered User regular
    Garthor wrote: »
    Additionally, the advantage of mouse and keyboard is the ability to turn at an arbitrary rate, which is something not available for controllers (generally, you turn at one moderately fast rate that still can't compare to the speed of a mouse, and that gets slowed down whenever your reticule is pointed near an enemy).

This is not the case in Dust, turn rate is determined by the suit itself. It will likely be a matter of personal preference more than anything, although what you could see is KBM players using the Scout suits more, and the controller people using the heavy suits more.

Cog in the machine Cog Herder
    Oh man, restricted turn rates with mouse and keyboard is literally the worst thing, unless they just detach your mouse movement from center screen and just have it slowly track to wherever you're pointing. If it's nothing more than cap on mouse movement, or a huge hit to sensitivity... yeah, that murders wrists.

• JediNightJediNight Registered User regular
    If they're sane, turning with KBM will then just require moving the mouse off-center a certain distance similar to the way the PS Move works.

• V1mV1m Registered User regular
    Disrupter wrote: »
    How does one have a setup condusive to KBM from their couch? I know I dont have a good way to do that. Honestly KBM support will likely end up being why I dont play this game. I dont want to use it, I dont like PC FPS, I like the controller, I like relaxing on my couch. I know I wont be competitive with such a setup when they allow KBM.

Which is pretty silly of them, because COD and Halo and all the massively popular console shooters dont use KBM. If they want this to be successful they should be trying to grab that market, rather than the PC gaming crowd which probably doesnt have a PS3 anyway.

In my couch reclining days, I used to use an old bookshelf, about 9"x36", with the corners rounded off, that was just the right size for a keyboard & mousemat. Worked very nicely.

JediNight wrote: »
    If they're sane, turning with KBM will then just require moving the mouse off-center a certain distance similar to the way the PS Move works.

That is insane for other reasons.

Either they are designing a game system to be used with a controller, in which case any KBM solution will have compromises; or they are designing a system to work with both controllers and KBM, in which case there will be compromises.

Having turn speed fixed to equipment seems like a very CCP thing, regardless of the KBM situation.

• ComahawkComahawk Registered User regular
    Finally back from my course and playing the beta now, my account name is Comahawk.

So far it is pretty damn fun, I have to admit.

• focusFIREalarmfocusFIREalarm Registered User regular
    Got an extra code for the beta weekend. I don't think it's tied to my eve account email so PM me for it and if it works it's yours.

• SokpuppetSokpuppet You only yoyo once Registered User regular
    How much are we allowed to talk about, if we're in the beta?

• rucdocrucdoc Crazy guy in the corner ClassifiedRegistered User regular
    edited August 2012
    nothing the NDA is still active

rucdoc on
    Original Creepy Janitor

http://www.dust514stats.com
    Are you allowed to say if it's fun or not?

edited August 2012
    Having reviewed my NDA in detail, I think I can tell you that I do in fact find it fun. A lot of fun.

Sokpuppet on
    Sokpuppet wrote: »
    Having reviewed my NDA in detail, I think I can tell you that I do in fact find it fun. A lot of fun.

Myself as well, especially after this last patch. CCP is doing a great job of listening to feedback, including bugs/glitches and suggestions to make the gameplay better.

Encouraging!

So, anyone who is in the beta: I've made a chat channel "Penny-Arcade" for us to join.

Rumourmongers are rumouring some rumours about speculation of a PC client beta next year

https://forums.eveonline.com/default.aspx?g=posts&t=144596&find=unread

edited August 2012
    Not surprising at all. Theres an even larger potential base than the PS3 on the PC. AND they're more used to playing games for years if they like them. Not to mention the obvious that all their current subscribers are on PC, which means if they want to play both they will already have a PC and be more likely to stick with it long-term.

JediNight on
    Ohh. Apparently a closed beta is starting today and going to september 4th. I might purchase a mercenary pack to join in.

616610-1.png
    I personally would be delighted if these rumours were true. Even if it means waiting a year after the PS3 launch. EVE badly needs some easy-access "cheap thrills" PvP and PC-Dust would be an excellent way to add it. I'd cheerfully pay a PLEX or two for it as well.

edited August 2012
    Ohh. Apparently a closed beta is starting today and going to september 4th. I might purchase a mercenary pack to join in.

I believe the current crop of invites is going out to Playstation Plus subscribers, whatever that means. If you are one, there ya go!

As for PC Dust, it seems pretty intuitive that it'll happen eventually. If the goal is to have EVE and Dust integrated in such a way that one effects the other and vice versa, it seems pretty dickish to require the people who are getting their factories blown up to buy another gaming platform just to try to defend it.

Sokpuppet on
    I am not a playstation plus member, at least, I dont think so. The article I read included some "like always, mercenary pack owners are included" type line. I feel its worth 20 bucks to get beta acess, 20+ bucks worth of in game money and other rewards. Hell I payed 20 bucks for hybrid on 360, i can pay 20 for DUST on ps3.

616610-1.png
    Playstation Plus is similar to paying for a Gold Live account on 360. It's a monthly fee that provides certain perks.

So, i tried this last night. I have very mixed feelings. Can see TONS of potential though.

What are my options for KB&M. Im a console gamer, and it saddens me to have to put down my controller. But I can tell by the feel of the game that it is designed for KB&M. I found an option for aim assist, which I havent tested yet, so maybe itll add some console "sticky" aim to keep controller viable. But it certainly felt hard to keep up with straifing and stuff compred to Halo, COD, BF3 etc.

I have a wireless keyboard and mouse, but not blue tooth, I assume that wont work since the PS3 wont have drivers for them, right? Wired stuff seems like it wouldnt make sense, id have to sit on my ps3.

616610-1.png
    edited August 2012
    I have heard KBM support generously described as "gimped", though I cannot speak from experience.

Sokpuppet on
    Sokpuppet wrote: »
    I have heard KBM support generously described as "gimped", though I cannot speak from experience.

Me neither, I use the controller and have no issues keeping up with everyone else. I really don't get the feeling this was designed for keyboard and mouse.

Eh, hard to talk about without potentially breaking NDA. I will say its not an issue of keeping up with everyone else. I would love to expand, but I dont know what im allowed to talk about so to be safe, I just wont.

616610-1.png
    Eh, hard to talk about without potentially breaking NDA. I will say its not an issue of keeping up with everyone else. I would love to expand, but I dont know what im allowed to talk about so to be safe, I just wont.

Fair enough

• a5ehrena5ehren AtlantaRegistered User regular
    Guess another round of Beta codes just went out? I just got one in my email.

• hoodie13hoodie13 punch bro Registered User regular
    Yeah.

I need them to open up the NDA, it's kinda worrying that it's been underneath that umbrella for so long.

PSN: HoodieThirteen
    XBL: Torn Hoodie
    @hoodiethirteen
  • KrunkMcGrunkKrunkMcGrunk Registered User regular
    man, i want to talk about this game.

mrsatansig.png
    Would you say good things?

• chocoboliciouschocobolicious Registered User regular
    I just spent a good bit playing this. This is a thing I enjoyed. pewpew.

steam_sig.png
  • KrunkMcGrunkKrunkMcGrunk Registered User regular
    Lochiel wrote: »

maybe

mrsatansig.png
  • CorehealerCorehealer The Apothecary The softer edge of the universe.Registered User regular
    Lochiel wrote: »

maybe

What kinds of good things?

488W936.png
    So, anyone have ideas for a PA corp name? I am going to make Obsidian Spur for the beta, if you anyone in the beta wants to join, message me on here. Or state better ideas for a name... I couldn't think of anything clever dealing with Merch Industrial.

I am saving up to setup a corp in game... so there is still time to think up names, etc. Also, I remade the penny-arcade channel for anyone that is interested.

• RosencrantzRosencrantz Registered User regular
    Has it moved over to SiSi yet? I thought I saw a dev blog about that being the Plan(tm), I'm just not sure if that's happened yet. (With corp functionality happening, I imagine it would happen soon).