As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/

a [chat]

• InquisitorInquisitor Registered User regular
    I guess its better than it going from 10 to 15 to 50 minutes...

• Dread Pirate ArbuthnotDread Pirate Arbuthnot OMG WRIGGLY T O X O P L A S M O S I SRegistered User regular
    @thomamelas @jacobkosh we should talk about your thoughts on minion master either through pm or vent so i can write a better article on it

but not for a little while cause im going to a work party in a bit

• monikermoniker Registered User regular
    i just did my first interview for work ever

it was... so scary

Canadian business peoples are known for being scary.

• SarksusSarksus ATTACK AND DETHRONE GODRegistered User regular
    Inquisitor wrote: »
    The introductions my teachers wanted me to prep has gone from 50 minutes to 15 to 10.

So now I get to trim 40 minutes of stuff.

So you're teaching English right.

How do the students talk to you if you don't know a lot of Japanese.

• AbdhyiusAbdhyius Registered User regular
    eyegasms-192.jpg?w=920&h=639

You know those weird, vague feelings you get sometimes, like, you're experiencing something from some other, strange world?

This picture gave me one of those.

ftOqU21.png
  • FeralFeral MEMETICHARIZARD interior crocodile alligator ⇔ ǝɹʇɐǝɥʇ ǝᴉʌoɯ ʇǝloɹʌǝɥɔ ɐ ǝʌᴉɹp ᴉRegistered User regular
    heheheheheeheh titicaca

every person who doesn't like an acquired taste always seems to think everyone who likes it is faking it. it should be an official fallacy.

the "no true scotch man" fallacy.
  • GreeperGreeper Registered User regular
    Abdhyius wrote: »
    You know those weird, vague feelings you get sometimes, like, you're experiencing something from some other, strange world?

I feel like that all the time.

deepest-indoor-swimming-pool-world-3.jpg?w=920&h=613

ftOqU21.png
  • monikermoniker Registered User regular
    eyegasms-192.jpg?w=920&h=639

You should come to Chicago. We can stare up at the Sears Tower together until you freak out and start talking about the 3 dimensionality of time.

• Dread Pirate ArbuthnotDread Pirate Arbuthnot OMG WRIGGLY T O X O P L A S M O S I SRegistered User regular
    moniker wrote: »
    i just did my first interview for work ever

it was... so scary

Canadian business peoples are known for being scary.

no i mean i was the interviewer talking to a game developer for the game site i write for

wFyIt.jpg

• OrganichuOrganichu poops peesRegistered User, Moderator mod
    cass was it a famous person

do you want me to stalk them for you

• TL DRTL DR Not at all confident in his reflexive opinions of thingsRegistered User regular
    Abdhy that "ridiculously photogenic Syrian" is wearing an Italian uniform

• TL DRTL DR Not at all confident in his reflexive opinions of thingsRegistered User regular
    hate hate hate hate hate

Sarksus wrote: »
    The introductions my teachers wanted me to prep has gone from 50 minutes to 15 to 10.

Foreigners teach in Japanese schools pretty much exclusively as ALTs (Assistant Language Teachers) I will never teach solo, I will always team teach with at least one JTE (Japanese Teacher of English). I am not really here to make lesson plans to make sure the students pass the exit exams for English. I am mostly here to make the kids excited and interested in English, to expose them to another culture, and to give a living example of natural English. A big part of my job is actually talking to the JTEs in English to make their English better so they can teach better. But, pretty much any like, grammar point or difficult bit is going to be explained in Japanese to the students by the JTE.

Foreigners teach in Japanese schools pretty much exclusively as ALTs (Assistant Language Teachers) I will never teach solo, I will always team teach with at least one JTE (Japanese Teacher of English). I am not really here to make lesson plans to make sure the students pass the exit exams for English. I am mostly here to make the kids excited and interested in English, to expose them to another culture, and to give a living example of natural English. A big part of my job is actually talking to the JTEs in English to make their English better so they can teach better. But, pretty much any like, grammar point or difficult bit is going to be explained in Japanese to the students by the JTE.

That's what I figured but I was interested in the specificities.

Does your JTE prevent the students from kanchoing you.

• FeralFeral MEMETICHARIZARD interior crocodile alligator ⇔ ǝɹʇɐǝɥʇ ǝᴉʌoɯ ʇǝloɹʌǝɥɔ ɐ ǝʌᴉɹp ᴉRegistered User regular
    omg cutest puppy evar

every person who doesn't like an acquired taste always seems to think everyone who likes it is faking it. it should be an official fallacy.

the "no true scotch man" fallacy.
    TL DR wrote: »

I am like 95% certain that's just a shirt with "ITALY" on it and not a uniform.

ftOqU21.png
    Organichu wrote: »
    cass was it a famous person

do you want me to stalk them for you

no it was an indie dev

ggSAx.jpg

Jurassic Park is on BBCA again.

This movie is the best movie ever.

edited August 2012
    Organichu on
    These kids are so dumb, shining lights, closing doors, it's like they want to be pierced in the groin and torso by t-rex teeth.

Keeping the class in order is the JTEs job, pretty much all discipline is. Which is good and bad, as I don't have to do it, but I have to bite my tongue if the JTE strikes a student (it is still okay in Japan to do so). The most I can do is like, point out bullying and stuff to the JTE, but, what is to be done about it is up to the JTE.

In Jr. High I don't have to worry too much. For my elementary schools I understand sometimes the teacher just sits back and lets the kids go crazy. Then again I believe I am teaching 1st and 2nd graders so at that point its mostly just so they can see and hear a foreigner (as they use me as a human jungle gym).

• DeebaserDeebaser on my way to work in a suit and a tie Ahhhh...come on fucking guyRegistered User regular
    @Deebaser make the new chat

I am going to play video games tonight

I had my moment and fell short. This is like CYO basketball all over again.

• japanjapan Registered User regular
    TL DR wrote: »

I am like 95% certain that's just a shirt with "ITALY" on it and not a uniform.

It looks a lot like a knock off of the Italian football association polos.

• spool32spool32 Contrary Library Registered User regular
    ahahha

That dude is...

Well now.

Fucking Lubbock! ahahahahaha

This should be this [chat]'s theme because I will not accept this meta-minimalism.
    amazing-cloud-formations-3.jpg?w=500&h=332
    amazing-cloud-formations-0.jpg?w=500&h=375
    amazing-cloud-formations-1.jpg?w=500&h=332
    amazing-cloud-formations-2.jpg?w=500&h=374
    amazing-cloud-formations-5.jpg?w=500&h=334
    amazing-cloud-formations-6.jpg?w=500&h=331
    amazing-cloud-formations-11.jpg?w=500&h=375
    amazing-cloud-formations-12.jpg?w=500&h=332

ftOqU21.png
  • MimMim I prefer my lovers… dead.Registered User regular
    Jurassic Park is on BBCA again.

This movie is the best movie ever.

qe39x.gif

The adults are just watching this in the other jeep, like, well now the tour will be more quiet.

"Counterstrike looks like a fine game, but I'd prefer to play a Call of Duty sequel on Origin." -- Mitt Romney

• MazzyxMazzyx Comedy Gold Registered User regular

Keeping the class in order is the JTEs job, pretty much all discipline is. Which is good and bad, as I don't have to do it, but I have to bite my tongue if the JTE strikes a student (it is still okay in Japan to do so). The most I can do is like, point out bullying and stuff to the JTE, but, what is to be done about it is up to the JTE.

In Jr. High I don't have to worry too much. For my elementary schools I understand sometimes the teacher just sits back and lets the kids go crazy. Then again I believe I am teaching 1st and 2nd graders so at that point its mostly just so they can see and hear a foreigner (as they use me as a human jungle gym).

Oh man that is adorable.

Sorry, I ran the English department at one middle school down to having to teach classes by myself. The elementary schools I was the teacher 100% of the time at at least 75% of my schools. ALTs are suppose to do what you say. But that happens only about 50-60% of the time. Most of the time you are a human tape recorder, occasional game machine, or the the actual teacher while the JTE isn't even in the room because they do stuff like that all the time.

u7stthr17eud.png
  • CambiataCambiata Commander Shepard The likes of which even GAWD has never seenRegistered User regular
    edited August 2012
    EVERYONE STOP WHAT YOU'RE DOING AND WATCH THIS VIDEO

IT IS THE GREATEST THING I HAVE EVER SEEN

http://www.myfoxlubbock.com/mediacenter/local.aspx?videoid=3714551

I haven't watched the video yet, but I lived in Lubbock for a long, long time. My parents still live there.

*watching video*

Edit: That actually sounds like a good way to get someone like my Dad willing to approve a tax hike. (Although in reality I think he votes all tax hikes down on principle)

Cambiata on
    "If you divide the whole world into just enemies and friends, you'll end up destroying everything" --Nausicaa of the Valley of Wind
    Chu, you disappoint me.

ftOqU21.png
    EVERYONE STOP WHAT YOU'RE DOING AND WATCH THIS VIDEO

IT IS THE GREATEST THING I HAVE EVER SEEN

http://www.myfoxlubbock.com/mediacenter/local.aspx?videoid=3714551

Oh my god.

edited August 2012
    Mazzyx wrote: »

Oh man that is adorable.

Sorry, I ran the English department at one middle school down to having to teach classes by myself. The elementary schools I was the teacher 100% of the time at at least 75% of my schools. ALTs are suppose to do what you say. But that happens only about 50-60% of the time. Most of the time you are a human tape recorder, occasional game machine, or the the actual teacher while the JTE isn't even in the room because they do stuff like that all the time.

Hehe yeah at this point I am just talking theory. I will have my first classes tomorrow (I thought my first classes were going to be monday and just opening ceremony tomorrow but...what do I know! Good thing my self intro for the classes only has to be 10 minutes and not 50!)

And by team teaching I largely meant "when the JTE says jump you say how high"

Inquisitor on
    tQoDA.gif

edited August 2012
    WHEN THE UN COMES KNOCKING

I'LL BE STANDING THERE IN FRONT OF MY ARMORED PERSONNEL CARRIER

AND I'LL SAY OH, NO YOU DON'T

Organichu on
    Mazzyx wrote: »

Oh man that is adorable.

Hehe yeah at this point I am just talking theory. I will have my first classes tomorrow (I thought my first classes were going to be monday and just opening ceremony tomorrow but...what do I know! Good thing my self intro for the classes only has to be 10 minutes and not 50!)

And by team teaching I largely meant "when the JTE says jump you say how high"

please describe yourself as a lady's man

edited August 2012
    WHEN THE UN COMES KNOCKING

I'LL BE STANDING THERE IN FRONT OF MY ARMORED PERSONNEL CARRIER

AND I'LL SAY OH, NO YOU DON'T

The more I think about that video, the funnier it gets.

I bet there are like, meetings with various county officials, and he's there sometimes, and every time he opens his mouth everybody present just thinks "oh no, not again."

japan on
This discussion has been closed.