As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

a [chat]

• Options
    AbdhyiusAbdhyius Registered User regular
    simple-cheap-life-tips-16.jpg?w=500&h=521

I wish we had those nutella jars. and that I ate nutella. Because I need tumblers and those were some decent ones.

ftOqU21.png
  • Options
    OrganichuOrganichu poops peesRegistered User, Moderator mod
    edited August 2012
    Abdhyius wrote: »
    Chu, you disappoint me.

look

you love binge drinking in ridiculous costumes

i love hysterically paranoid, mentally ill people speaking on fiscal policy and the UN stealing america

to each his own

Organichu on
  • Options
    InquisitorInquisitor Registered User regular
    Organichu wrote: »
    Inquisitor wrote: »
    Mazzyx wrote: »
    Sarksus wrote: »
    The introductions my teachers wanted me to prep has gone from 50 minutes to 15 to 10.

So now I get to trim 40 minutes of stuff.

So you're teaching English right.

How do the students talk to you if you don't know a lot of Japanese.

Foreigners teach in Japanese schools pretty much exclusively as ALTs (Assistant Language Teachers) I will never teach solo, I will always team teach with at least one JTE (Japanese Teacher of English). I am not really here to make lesson plans to make sure the students pass the exit exams for English. I am mostly here to make the kids excited and interested in English, to expose them to another culture, and to give a living example of natural English. A big part of my job is actually talking to the JTEs in English to make their English better so they can teach better. But, pretty much any like, grammar point or difficult bit is going to be explained in Japanese to the students by the JTE.

That's what I figured but I was interested in the specificities.

Does your JTE prevent the students from kanchoing you.

Keeping the class in order is the JTEs job, pretty much all discipline is. Which is good and bad, as I don't have to do it, but I have to bite my tongue if the JTE strikes a student (it is still okay in Japan to do so). The most I can do is like, point out bullying and stuff to the JTE, but, what is to be done about it is up to the JTE.

In Jr. High I don't have to worry too much. For my elementary schools I understand sometimes the teacher just sits back and lets the kids go crazy. Then again I believe I am teaching 1st and 2nd graders so at that point its mostly just so they can see and hear a foreigner (as they use me as a human jungle gym).

Oh man that is adorable.

Sorry, I ran the English department at one middle school down to having to teach classes by myself. The elementary schools I was the teacher 100% of the time at at least 75% of my schools. ALTs are suppose to do what you say. But that happens only about 50-60% of the time. Most of the time you are a human tape recorder, occasional game machine, or the the actual teacher while the JTE isn't even in the room because they do stuff like that all the time.

Hehe yeah at this point I am just talking theory. I will have my first classes tomorrow (I thought my first classes were going to be monday and just opening ceremony tomorrow but...what do I know! Good thing my self intro for the classes only has to be 10 minutes and not 50!)

And by team teaching I largely meant "when the JTE says jump you say how high"

please describe yourself as a lady's man

Nah, I am going to try to blow their mind with how multicultural my area was (going to show them pictures of armenian food and mexican food and american food and thai food and all the other stuff that is thrown together in one area in the states).

Besides... I have enough teenage girls poking their head into the office to steal a glance at the foreigner without giving them ideas. And it will only be a matter of time before boys start coming up and asking me how big my wang is.

• Options
    descdesc Goretexing to death Registered User regular

I wish we had those nutella jars. and that I ate nutella. Because I need tumblers and those were some decent ones.

I feel like there might be alternate solutions to your tumbler supply problems.

• Options
    GooeyGooey (\/)┌¶─¶┐(\/) pinch pinchRegistered User regular
    lubbock is so awesome

919UOwT.png
  • Options
    ElendilElendil Registered User regular
    edited August 2012
    if the un takes over america

will it be unamerica

Elendil on
  • Options
    japanjapan Registered User regular
    You don't need to "turn" a used nutella jar into a tumbler.

It just is one. You have to clean it but that doesn't seem like it should be considered to be turning one thing into another.

• Options
    The introductions my teachers wanted me to prep has gone from 50 minutes to 15 to 10.

Foreigners teach in Japanese schools pretty much exclusively as ALTs (Assistant Language Teachers) I will never teach solo, I will always team teach with at least one JTE (Japanese Teacher of English). I am not really here to make lesson plans to make sure the students pass the exit exams for English. I am mostly here to make the kids excited and interested in English, to expose them to another culture, and to give a living example of natural English. A big part of my job is actually talking to the JTEs in English to make their English better so they can teach better. But, pretty much any like, grammar point or difficult bit is going to be explained in Japanese to the students by the JTE.

Keeping the class in order is the JTEs job, pretty much all discipline is. Which is good and bad, as I don't have to do it, but I have to bite my tongue if the JTE strikes a student (it is still okay in Japan to do so). The most I can do is like, point out bullying and stuff to the JTE, but, what is to be done about it is up to the JTE.

In Jr. High I don't have to worry too much. For my elementary schools I understand sometimes the teacher just sits back and lets the kids go crazy. Then again I believe I am teaching 1st and 2nd graders so at that point its mostly just so they can see and hear a foreigner (as they use me as a human jungle gym).

Oh man that is adorable.

Sorry, I ran the English department at one middle school down to having to teach classes by myself. The elementary schools I was the teacher 100% of the time at at least 75% of my schools. ALTs are suppose to do what you say. But that happens only about 50-60% of the time. Most of the time you are a human tape recorder, occasional game machine, or the the actual teacher while the JTE isn't even in the room because they do stuff like that all the time.

Hehe yeah at this point I am just talking theory. I will have my first classes tomorrow (I thought my first classes were going to be monday and just opening ceremony tomorrow but...what do I know! Good thing my self intro for the classes only has to be 10 minutes and not 50!)

Nah, I am going to try to blow their mind with how multicultural my area was (going to show them pictures of armenian food and mexican food and american food and thai food and all the other stuff that is thrown together in one area in the states).

Besides... I have enough teenage girls poking their head into the office to steal a glance at the foreigner without giving them ideas. And it will only be a matter of time before boys start coming up and asking me how big my wang is.

daddy two pee pees

• Options
    SarksusSarksus ATTACK AND DETHRONE GODRegistered User regular
    I was like, how do you turn a jar of hazelnut spread into a social network.

• Options
    STATE OF THE ART ROBOTSTATE OF THE ART ROBOT Registered User regular
    Shaquille O'Neal has so much charisma.

• Options
    I was like, how do you turn a jar of hazelnut spread into a social network.
    if you leave it out long enough it becomes a whole colony

• Options
    InquisitorInquisitor Registered User regular

Oh man that is adorable.

daddy two pee pees

A lot of ALTs I hear about get like, creeped out or embarrassed when kids ask this kind of stuff. Maybe its because I have worked with kids already but kids being little pervs is par for the course. If a kid asks me what I'm packing I plan to do my best impression of Jesus being crucified and just say "ookii"

• Options
    Chu, you disappoint me.

look

you love binge drinking in ridiculous costumes

i love hysterically paranoid, mentally ill people speaking on fiscal policy and the UN stealing america

to each his own

I need EFFICIENCY!

do you have any idea how much of my limited data was burned on those useless opening seconds?!?

I TRUSTED YOU

ftOqU21.png
  • Options
    monikermoniker Registered User regular
    Wait, where are Nutella jars not that squished oblong shape? And why am I not eating Nutella right now?

• Options
    emnmnmeemnmnme Registered User regular
    Gooey wrote: »
    lubbock is so awesome

That's why Obama is going to strike Lubbock first in the Civil War of 2015.

• Options
    good god i am bored of everything

• Options
    I never really had nutella as a kid but all this talk of alternative spreads has me craving a peanut butter and fluff sandwich. :s

• Options
    FeralFeral MEMETICHARIZARD interior crocodile alligator ⇔ ǝɹʇɐǝɥʇ ǝᴉʌoɯ ʇǝloɹʌǝɥɔ ɐ ǝʌᴉɹp ᴉRegistered User regular
    Hand over sovereignty of the United States to the UN

every person who doesn't like an acquired taste always seems to think everyone who likes it is faking it. it should be an official fallacy.

the "no true scotch man" fallacy.
  • Options

Oh man that is adorable.

daddy two pee pees

A lot of ALTs I hear about get like, creeped out or embarrassed when kids ask this kind of stuff. Maybe its because I have worked with kids already but kids being little pervs is par for the course. If a kid asks me what I'm packing I plan to do my best impression of Jesus being crucified and just say "ookii"

hahaha yesss

ftOqU21.png
  • Options
    mind-officially-blown-01.jpg?w=500&h=333

ftOqU21.png
  • Options
    FeralFeral MEMETICHARIZARD interior crocodile alligator ⇔ ǝɹʇɐǝɥʇ ǝᴉʌoɯ ʇǝloɹʌǝɥɔ ɐ ǝʌᴉɹp ᴉRegistered User regular
    You know what spread is awesome? Sunflower seed butter. Nom.

every person who doesn't like an acquired taste always seems to think everyone who likes it is faking it. it should be an official fallacy.

• Options
    moniker wrote: »
    Wait, where are Nutella jars not that squished oblong shape? And why am I not eating Nutella right now?

The big jars are the squished oblongs. Those are the smaller ones.

• Options
    desc wrote: »

Thinkin' of taking the free bus out to IKEA tomorrow. I need me some bowls.

ftOqU21.png
  • Options
    monikermoniker Registered User regular
    I never really had nutella as a kid but all this talk of alternative spreads has me craving a peanut butter and fluff sandwich. :s

I know what you're referring to, but I'd rather just pretend this means eating a peanut butter sandwich behind an olive garden.

• Options
    edited August 2012
    isn't the united states in charge of the un anyway

Elendil on
  • Options
    LudiousLudious I just wanted a sandwich A temporally dislocated QuiznosRegistered User regular
    guys I am telling you a nutella iced cake would be heaven

• Options
    Lubbock county let's just about anybody on their air, apparently.

• Options
    beautiful-moments-07.jpg?w=500&h=562

I love this so much

ftOqU21.png
  • Options
    ludious what are you doing

i'm nutelling

• Options
    japan wrote: »
    WHEN THE UN COMES KNOCKING

I'LL BE STANDING THERE IN FRONT OF MY ARMORED PERSONNEL CARRIER

AND I'LL SAY OH, NO YOU DON'T

The more I think about that video, the funnier it gets.

I bet there are like, meetings with various county officials, and he's there sometimes, and every time he opens his mouth everybody present just thinks "oh no, not again."

Maybe.

Maybe the other officials agree with him and think he's on to something.

• Options
    skippydumptruckskippydumptruck begin again Registered User regular
    chu

I don't want a bunch of rookies back there

• Options
    funny-news-captions-fails-1.jpg?w=500&h=375

ftOqU21.png
  • Options
    That tax hike better pay for red berets to ensure equal footing against the UN's blue berets.

• Options
    Feral wrote: »
    japan wrote: »
    WHEN THE UN COMES KNOCKING

I'LL BE STANDING THERE IN FRONT OF MY ARMORED PERSONNEL CARRIER

AND I'LL SAY OH, NO YOU DON'T

The more I think about that video, the funnier it gets.

I bet there are like, meetings with various county officials, and he's there sometimes, and every time he opens his mouth everybody present just thinks "oh no, not again."

Maybe.

Maybe the other officials agree with him and think he's on to something.

Also a possibility. Maybe occasionally citizens turn up because they want someone to do something about the bins but instead they get a lengthy harangue about the New World Order.

• Options
    surrealitychecksurrealitycheck lonely, but not unloved dreaming of faulty keys and latchesRegistered User regular
    is the masrshmallow spread as good as it looks confirm deny

obF2Wuw.png
  • Options
    is the masrshmallow spread as good as it looks confirm deny

According to my five year old self it was amazing.

• Options
    skippydumptruckskippydumptruck begin again Registered User regular
    what the hell is sarks doing back

• Options
    emnmnmeemnmnme Registered User regular
    That tax hike better pay for red berets to ensure equal footing against the UN's blue berets.

Oh yeeeah, whatever happened to Sheriff Joe's million dollar APC he bought with tax-payer money?

• Options
    descdesc Goretexing to death Registered User regular
    desc wrote: »

Thinkin' of taking the free bus out to IKEA tomorrow. I need me some bowls.

bowls and shot glasses and tumblers?

• Options
    surrealitychecksurrealitycheck lonely, but not unloved dreaming of faulty keys and latchesRegistered User regular
    I SAW IT IN A SHOP I WANT IT

obF2Wuw.png
This discussion has been closed.