As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

PAX PRIME 2012 Information and FAQ (READ THIS FIRST, THEN ASK ALL QUESTIONS HERE)

• Options
    BekerBeker Child's Play Program Director SeattleRegistered User, Penny Arcade Staff regular
    SkeleVader wrote: »
    They start to let you in at 8:00am, but you can line up well before that. They have an area outside set up to handle the group that lines up crazy early. I think I got there around 6 or 7 last year.
    I recommend everybody get in line that early at least once in their Pax experience, its a lot of fun playing games and meeting people.

If you get there too early, you will be waiting outside in the cold and will likely be shuffled around a lot as the staff try to figure out where to put you all that is out of the way until we can open the queue room. We have had issues before with too many people showing up too early. It can be a fire hazard when a hundreds or thousands show up before we are ready for you. Please, sleep in a bit, getting there at 8am is plenty early enough. If you are an early riser naturally or from excitement, maybe play games in the hotel lobbies, it will be more comfortable I promise you.

-Beker/Erick
    zx6ak2M.png
  • Options
    matguymatguy Registered User regular
    Smart Phones/Tablets/Netbooks

First question: In past years, I know 3G signal has been spotty, slow, and saturated. Is 4G much better?

Second question: I see Clear is having a pretty steep sale. The cost of the hotspot is inconsequential, but does anyone have experience with their "daily" plans?

The whole Convention Center becomes very radio-dirty through the entire event with people using phones, laptops, tablets, DS's, etc. I would not expect any wireless device to work well in the environment.

That said, I had a Verizon 4G phone last year and it worked fine enough for very light web browsing, IRC, messaging apps. But, that was last year when 4G was still pretty new, so it may be a bit more saturated this year.

Another thing to consider with 4G, at least in my experience, when the 4G signal is low, your battery may suffer, with the congestion, I would expect the possibility of battery problems. External "USB" batteries can be -very- handy in such situations.

• Options
    jukkakhanjukkakhan Registered User regular
    matguy wrote: »
    Smart Phones/Tablets/Netbooks

First question: In past years, I know 3G signal has been spotty, slow, and saturated. Is 4G much better?

Second question: I see Clear is having a pretty steep sale. The cost of the hotspot is inconsequential, but does anyone have experience with their "daily" plans?

The whole Convention Center becomes very radio-dirty through the entire event with people using phones, laptops, tablets, DS's, etc. I would not expect any wireless device to work well in the environment.

That said, I had a Verizon 4G phone last year and it worked fine enough for very light web browsing, IRC, messaging apps. But, that was last year when 4G was still pretty new, so it may be a bit more saturated this year.

Another thing to consider with 4G, at least in my experience, when the 4G signal is low, your battery may suffer, with the congestion, I would expect the possibility of battery problems. External "USB" batteries can be -very- handy in such situations.

I found that I was able to get the best data reception (3G at least) on the skybridge. Everywhere else in the convention center it was sluggish.

PimDtoK.png
  • Options
    MidersawMidersaw Registered User new member
    Midersaw wrote: »
    I'm sorry if this has been covered but I searched for it and couldn't find anything. Does anybody know if the fighting game tournaments such as Street Fighter 4 and Marvel vs. Capcom 3 will be played on Xbox 360 or PS3? I want to know if I should bring my own stick. Thanks for the help.

Still hoping for an answer on this and don't want my question to get too buried. Thanks.

• Options
    zerzhulzerzhul Registered User, Moderator mod
    I'm sorry if this has been covered but I searched for it and couldn't find anything. Does anybody know if the fighting game tournaments such as Street Fighter 4 and Marvel vs. Capcom 3 will be played on Xbox 360 or PS3? I want to know if I should bring my own stick. Thanks for the help.

Still hoping for an answer on this and don't want my question to get too buried. Thanks.

http://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/165873/prime-pax-prime-2012-console-tournaments

• Options
    jon-theBeardjon-theBeard SeattleRegistered User regular
    edited August 2012
    Does anyone know if Kojima will be signing autographs? I'm debating on whether or not I should bring a copy of MGS with me...

jon-theBeard on
  • Options
    Does anyone know if Kojima will be signing autographs? I'm debating on whether or not I should bring a copy of MGS with me...

It probably can't hurt to bring it, but I doubt anyone will know before pax arrives.

• Options
    sanovahsanovah Nerd of the West San Diego, CaliforniaRegistered User regular
    edited August 2012
    Weird question if I do end up passing up the keynote for expo hall and happened to bring a couple dozen doughnuts and coffee frotop pots oor whatever it's called to the line around 8am what's the likely hood ill walk into the expo hall with a couple dozen doughnuts and coffee? I plan on going there for breakfast anyway and figured free food for breakfast would be a nice way to meet some new peole since ill be a first year #foreveralone

sanovah on
  • Options
    MOSFETMOSFET Registered User regular
    sanovah wrote: »
    Weird question if I do end up passing up the keynote for expo hall and happened to bring a couple dozen doughnuts and coffee frotop pots oor whatever it's called to the line around 8am what's the likely hood ill walk into the expo hall with a couple dozen doughnuts and coffee

What are you trying to say?

• Options
    MOSFET wrote: »
    Weird question if I do end up passing up the keynote for expo hall and happened to bring a couple dozen doughnuts and coffee frotop pots oor whatever it's called to the line around 8am what's the likely hood ill walk into the expo hall with a couple dozen doughnuts and coffee

What are you trying to say?

I might be saying if you can find me in line you may be able to get a free doughnut and coffee. That is if I wouldn't be weird for doing that and end up with most of en by the time the door opened. Also I edited it since my phone it's retarded.

• Options
    Weird question if I do end up passing up the keynote for expo hall and happened to bring a couple dozen doughnuts and coffee frotop pots oor whatever it's called to the line around 8am what's the likely hood ill walk into the expo hall with a couple dozen doughnuts and coffee? I plan on going there for breakfast anyway and figured free food for breakfast would be a nice way to meet some new peole since ill be a first year #foreveralone
    -observational response, I didn't look up any rules.

I don't think anyone in line is going to steal it from you, but there may be certain areas of the convention floor where food may not be allowed (some vendors have carpet, in some areas the convention center may not allow outside food, etc.) On the other hand, it can get crowded and carrying boxes of donuts through the queue may become a space issue (although I could imagine an easy way to bribe a certain human buffer element by your line-mates.)

• Options
    edited August 2012

I don't think anyone in line is going to steal it from you, but there may be certain areas of the convention floor where food may not be allowed (some vendors have carpet, in some areas the convention center may not allow outside food, etc.) On the other hand, it can get crowded and carrying boxes of donuts through the queue may become a space issue (although I could imagine an easy way to bribe a certain human buffer element by your line-mates.)

Sorry I think you misunderstood me I meant if I brought them to the outside line or queue room what's the likelihood anyhone would actually want and take some? Like I said I plan on going there for breakfast and then hopping in line so cause I'm such a nice guy and a #foreveralone I figured id bring some extras and meet people in line but I wasn't sure how weird that would/will be at PAX and don't want to end up walking through the expo hall with a backpack of doughnuts and xoffe people didn't want cause it wazs weird.

Also to any mod I guess I should have first asked. Can I even do this?

sanovah on
  • Options

Sorry I think you misunderstood me I meant if I brought them to the outside line or queue room what's the likelihood anyhone would actually want and take some? Like I said I plan on going there for breakfast and then hopping in line so cause I'm such a nice guy and a #foreveralone I figured id bring some extras and meet people in line but I wasn't sure how weird that would/will be at PAX and don't want to end up walking through the expo hall with a backpack of doughnuts and xoffe people didn't want cause it wazs weird.

Also to any mod I guess I should have first asked. Can I even do this?

Oh, right, free donuts? Free Coffee? (assuming you might have cups too.) I don't think you'd have too much trouble getting rid of both.

Being allowed to do this may be a different question, yes.

• Options
    Ok cool so if a mod says I can be sure to keep an eye out for me in the expo hall line or queue . Now all that's left is for a mod to answer.

PS while I'm sure bribery isn't aallowed if mod were to express interest in a certain type of dounut said mod might be able to find one reserved for them

• Options
    edited August 2012
    Ok cool so if a mod says I can be sure to keep an eye out for me in the expo hall line or queue . Now all that's left is for a mod to answer.

PS while I'm sure bribery isn't aallowed if mod were to express interest in a certain type of dounut said mod might be able to find one reserved for them

The forum moderators do not, as a rule, speak for PAX. While @Moe Fwacky and I are very knowledgeable about many pax things, we do not hold the keys to permission for things that actually occur at the convention. heels is a special case.

Anyhow, I doubt that you would have an issue if you brought a little bit of free food for your new friends, but be mindful of creating a mess (pick up after yourself).

zerzhul on
  • Options
    edgeofbladeedgeofblade Warlock Houston, TXRegistered User regular
    Do pc tournies require you to byoc?

6YJGH2V.png
  • Options
    whypick1whypick1 PAX [E] Info Booth Manager ~2' from an LCDRegistered User regular
    No. BYOC has their own separate set of tourneys/contests, but the ones listed in the schedule are run in the PC Freeplay area on those computers.

Is it PAX <insert nearest future PAX here> yet?
  • Options
    Stranger DangerStranger Danger Registered User regular
    edited August 2012
    [redacted]

zerzhul on
  • Options
    edited August 2012
    Guess you can't

sanovah on
  • Options
    edited August 2012
    No and No.

In addition, when there's a question of what is skirting the rules of the pax subforum or not, the right thing to do is PM me or @Moe Fwacky

zerzhul on
  • Options
    Stranger DangerStranger Danger Registered User regular
    Fair enough sir. The PAX folks would have a better idea than I would.

• Options
    edited August 2012
    Well that sucks. I was one of the people who saw that and I was hoping I might be lucky and makemy best friends day so super sad face now to try and find time to hangout with him outside of pax.

I also had a questionfor any pax pros or locals. Anyone know roughly what a dozen doughnuts from top pot costs? Unless an actual pax personj comes here and tells me not to I planj on bringing a couple dozen of their d9oughnuts and maybe coffee to the expo hall line cause I'm nice and free food is a great way to meet people especially for a first time paxer and a #foreveralone

sanovah on
  • Options
    RelativioxRelativiox Halo Nerd Forerunner shield world OnyxRegistered User regular
    @sanovah There should be no problem with bringing donuts and coffee to the line, especially if you're waiting outside. Not sure though about what they would say if you try to take it into the center itself. But I don't think that would be a problem, those things go fast!

iris_forumsig.gif
  • Options
    Relativiox wrote: »
    @sanovah There should be no problem with bringing donuts and coffee to the line, especially if you're waiting outside. Not sure though about what they would say if you try to take it into the center itself. But I don't think that would be a problem, those things go fast!

Yeah I figured that and some other people said the same. I'm now more interested in what what i'm probably going to end up spending. So anyone either a pax pro our Seattle local that knows what a dozen doughnuts from top pots usually costs?

• Options
    dragon keeper xdragon keeper x Registered User regular
    Does anyone have any info on the League of Legends regional championship? How are they allowing people in? tickets? first come first serve? is there a schedule?

Max sig size: 500x80px <3 Moe
    sig_dragonx.jpg
  • Options
    Does anyone have any info on the League of Legends regional championship? How are they allowing people in? tickets? first come first serve? is there a schedule?

Considering it is officially part of PAX, I sincerely doubt there will be tickets. It will very likely be first come first served. I have not seen any schedule info for it whatsoever.

• Options
    BigRedBigRed Seattle, WARegistered User regular
    http://na.leagueoflegends.com/news/top-eight-challenger-circuit-teams-head-regionals
    That was the most info I could find.

Looks like its just for the people in the ladders (tourney wise anyway). They might be doing freeplay stuff as well when its not tournament time. Unsure about that.

<MoeFwacky> besides, BigRed-Worky is right
  • Options
    GeekyPrincessGeekyPrincess Registered User regular
    Well that sucks. I was one of the people who saw that and I was hoping I might be lucky and makemy best friends day so super sad face now to try and find time to hangout with him outside of pax.

I also had a questionfor any pax pros or locals. Anyone know roughly what a dozen doughnuts from top pot costs? Unless an actual pax personj comes here and tells me not to I planj on bringing a couple dozen of their d9oughnuts and maybe coffee to the expo hall line cause I'm nice and free food is a great way to meet people especially for a first time paxer and a #foreveralone

You can call ahead and pre-order a dozen (or more) from Top Pot, they should be able to give you an idea of cost when/if you do. The downtown cafe number is 206-728-1966.

Cookie Brigade Prime 2011 and 2012!
    Shipping cookies for Prime 2013
  • Options
    archfaitharchfaith Registered User new member
    edited August 2012
    Apologies if this is not the right thread to ask in, but this is my first time going to PAX Prime and I need some advice/suggestions for parking.

I will be staying at a friend's apartment about 15 minutes from the convention center, and we are planning to drive in on each day. I e-mailed WSCC parking and took a look at their rates (around $25 for the whole day). The issue is, the WSCC garage seems to close at midnight. My friends and I are planning to stay for the parties downtown, so we'll probably still be in the area until around 2 am.

Are there other available lots near the convention center that close later? From your experience, are the rates comparable to WSCC?

archfaith on
  • Options
    VanusVanus Registered User regular
    The WSCC lots stay open until at least 2am for PAX to let PAX-goers leave. I have never had any issues with getting out at 1-2am.

• Options
    I've never had a problem getting out at -very- late hours, I think they just close it to incoming parking.

• Options
    BekerBeker Child's Play Program Director SeattleRegistered User, Penny Arcade Staff regular
    I generally park in the 7th & Pike garage which is right across the street (same block as Cheescake Factory) which is open 24 hours. Price is a bit more then WSCC I think, but worth it to me.

What they say is true about WSCC parking just closing to incoming cars. But I like to have the freedom to leave the building and come back to my car later if I stay out to late, drink to much, etc etc. And at some point (after PAX closes) WSCC locks their doors from the outside and you have a hassle to deal with if your car is still in there.

TL:DR, WSCC is fine as long as you are back in the building by 2am (with possibly some grace period). Otherwise you might be better off with a 24 hour garage.

-Beker/Erick
    zx6ak2M.png
  • Options
    jaberwockynmtjaberwockynmt PAX Info Booth Manager Renton, WARegistered User regular
    Beker wrote: »
    t some point (after PAX closes) WSCC locks their doors from the outside and you have a hassle to deal with if your car is still in there.
    Yes, they close the usual pedestrian entries, but one can still get in by walking in through the car exit gates, so the hassle isn't too horrible. I think they only have the doors closed like this from roughly 0300 to 0600.

--Jarrod "Jaberwocky" Lombardo, PAX Enforcer: Info Booth Manager.
    "We know that the moment we slip, it will be taken away... and so it is of the utmost importance to be worthy of it constantly."
    PAX will always be held on the best weekend for PAX. Sometimes that will be a bad weekend for you; I'm sorry.
  • Options
    whypick1whypick1 PAX [E] Info Booth Manager ~2' from an LCDRegistered User regular
    tsrblke wrote: »
    SkeleVader wrote: »
    capnsanity wrote: »
    What are these swag bags you speak of...Where must i go to get one...?

The swag bags are the promo bags that have the Pax program, various items like Magic cards and LOL codes, and a bunch of ads. You go to the Que room at 11:30am each day.
    One per person.

You sure its at 11:30? That makes no sense. Why would they make everyone who waited in the queue room line to get into the expo hall first thing get in line an hour and a half later to get a bag?

Just a shot in the dark, but it'd diffuse the Chaos in the Queue Room by breaking up the push towards it.
    Also, it means people don't have to choose between swag bags and morning panels. (Again total shot in the dark.)
    These are good reasons. Eventually, sometime before the show, there will be a news post on the PA main page about it in detail. I can confirm that the 11:30am swag start time is correct.

And said news post
    We’re no longer handing out swag bags in the morning. At PAX East it caused a major traffic bottleneck and safety issue - we couldn’t give out bags at the same pace that people were coming in. So now, swag bags will be done buffet style in the Queue room AFTER 11:30 AM each day.

• Options
    davidsdurionsdavidsdurions Your Trusty Meatshield Panhandle NebraskaRegistered User regular
    Is there a place to see what the "selected content" that will be streamed will be? Gabe mentioned it in his post today, but I don't see a schedule for that yet. Or is it going to be a surprise as it comes available? *sad face* Wish i could be there this year.

• Options
    CaptainTapoleCaptainTapole Awesome in the Possum - Yee-Haw! Northern CaliforniaRegistered User regular
    I'm not going to voice my full concern until A) I see how it goes and B) when the suggestion thread goes up. For now, though, I am going to say I have concerns over this "buffet-style" of swag distribution.

The Girl Who Gave Everyone the Shortest Jenga Game Ever.
  • Options
    What exactly does "buffet style" mean for swag bag distribution?

• Options
    It's...like a buffet. Except instead of a plate you get a bag and instead of taking all the pizza and ice cream you can carry you pick up only one of each item that you want, because you wouldn't want to break Wheaton's Law.

• Options
    draco24draco24 Registered User regular
    From my own personal experience at other conventions, buffet style usually means that they have a few tables set up and you just come on by and pick one up without it being handed to you.

I'm just curious on how they are going to ensure that some people are not grabbing multiple bags at a time (not like that ever stopped some people).

• Options
    grifta67grifta67 SF, CARegistered User regular
    Hello!

What's the general consensus for sending someone to pick up food while we're in line at the main theater? I don't mind waiting in line 1.5 hours for the keynote/make a strip/celeb D&D game, but I'm a huge fan of optimizing time and that's a perfect time to sit down and nourish our bellies while waiting (wow, belly looks weird plural, huh?). If one of us leaves the line to go pick up some foodstuff, will they be able to get back to us with the spoils?

I know I never really mind when one person jumps back in line like that, but I'd hate to get shut down, sent to the back and split up from my gal.

Thanks!
    -Sean

Prime '09, '10, '11, '12, '13
This discussion has been closed.