As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/

InFlux is all up on this PAX Australian Indie Showcase

• LaCabraLaCabra MelbourneRegistered User regular
    edited August 2012
    Also, this is my workspace, where much of the magic happens. I happened to be tweeting it, perhaps ya'll're interested.
    7137863407_311ae6faco_b.jpg

LaCabra on
  • LalaboxLalabox Registered User regular
    Wait, does this mean that the thread title is 'Now Without Funding?' Or have you been getting money from elsewhere?

Oh, clarification: we still get our funding, but the organisation who provided it and have been doing this for 10+ years probably don't get to fund any more games.

I made a blorg post with a bunch of concept art in it, and also some words.
    http://joewintergreen.com/
    7001863422_c22a8decd6_b.jpg

Hey, Impromptu has a Facebook page now. You all should like the hell out of it. http://www.facebook.com/ImpromptuGames

In other development news, here are some trees and rocks made by the new artist guy (before I hired him, this was his art test).
    7134771671_9e7923d5e6_c.jpg
    7137256415_6460b92e89_c.jpg
    The tree had to be no more than 800 tris and the rock no more than 300. They are each exactly that.

Man, this thread has been dead ever since the forums moved and it fell off everyone's bookmarks list.

Here is a video of our game, it's only 1024x768 because I made it for the iPad to show around E3. Features the whale in his first moving picture appearance!
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4d_OQORHlpE

That is looking pretty fantastic. I really, really like how flowing and smooth it all looks. Some of the earlier videos, while kinda cool, just felt like a ball rolling around, and it all felt a bit stiff (well, stiff in comparison). Now it looks a lot better. It all just looks really serene and nice. I like the 'floating lights following you' thing.

Just out of curiosity, how far off a release date do you think you are?

Thanks mang. Tell your friends. There's still a shitton to do but I'm hoping this year or the start of the next one. Most of what needs to be done now is level design, tbh.

Oh oh oh. Here is a piece of concept art I didn't post. I guess the artist spent way less time on this one than the others but I think it's pretty nice.

7265220960_7fec11e136_b.jpg

NOOOOoOooooo! That poor whale.

Looks very pretty.

It's okay! He is going to be fine.

• LittleBootsLittleBoots Registered User regular
    LaCabra wrote: »
    It's okay! He is going to be fine.

SPOILERS

Tofu wrote: Here be Littleboots, destroyer of threads and master of drunkposting.
    Impromptu Games will never make a videogame where a whale gets seriously hurt.

NEVER

• MrDelishMrDelish Registered User regular
    I always peruse this thread when it comes up but I think it's less-active because you lack content

and by content I mean zombies

• vamenvamen Registered User regular

NEVER

I can now support all your endeavors with this comforting knowledge.

• RemingtonRemington Registered User regular

NEVER

There you go again. Writing checks you can't cash.

• TurkeyTurkey So, Usoop. TampaRegistered User regular
    I lurk the thread whenever something is posted, just waiting to see upcoming stuff.

Well, here is some upcoming stuff: a new environment, the forest. I finally got the foliage system in UDK behaving itself so now I get to have a shitton of foliage without breaking my lighting builds. One of the milestones that we have to meet now that we have funding is coming up, I basically have to have area overworld hub area (there's 5) prototype'd and a lot of puzzle rooms done. It's comin' along okay.

I was also looking into whether there was an easy way to cook and package individual puzzle rooms at a non-stupid file size so that I could post playable puzzles on here for feedback, but at this point it seems like one puzzle cooks out at like 250mb. It's probably cooking a bunch of unnecessary crap though. If I got that under control so that each file was under ~50mb would you guys want to fuck around in rough unpolished puzzles and give feedback?

7423955108_dc9690fb0f_b.jpg

That is very pretty, and I wouldn't mind testing some of the puzzles for you. I'm super busy at the moment, but I could definately manage it if it's only half an hour or something of playtime. Hell, I'd probably even do it at 250mb.

Hey so I tried the mobile version of this game in portrait today. I kind of like it. What do you dudes think.

7602854132_4065c19730_b.jpg

Due to some arbitrary restriction in UDK I can't have the game use both landscape and portrait depending on how you hold it, so it's one or the other. I'll probably end up doing landscape I guess but I quite like playing it this way. WHO KNOWS.

• DrunkMcDrunkMc Registered User regular
    I personally find games lend themselves to landscape. Its just easier on the hands and I feel like your fingers are less in the way. Otherwise, looks really nice!

Joe, stop putting control sticks in horrible places.

And put in my new tiki torches. The old ones were for when this shit was primarily a mobile game.

I dunno you guys I definitely feel like it controls better this way on the iPad. Those sticks are right where my thumbs go. Landscape is defs the way for phones though.

Of course UDK doesn't make that distinction so it probably ends up being landscape anyway.

• MrDelishMrDelish Registered User regular
    I would test your puzzles

If you know what I mean

I mean, they're probably really good puzzles

edited August 2012
    So here's a bunch of cool shit I've been tweeting

Trying a new effect for push/pull
    7696484982_935bf03c75_b.jpg

There's no fancy shader stuff on iOS so my mobile rivers are the old scroll-a-texture-along-it kind. It actually looks pretty awesome on the device.
    7703238988_2cb69b004b_b.jpg

I got a bunch of new trees made, largely because there's no Speedtree support on iOS and the game is super barren without trees. These are better anyway.
    7697484876_6ff80eb00d_b.jpg

And lastly I got bored the other week and did a PC version of Vroom, the iOS game. There's one more bug in it to fix that we know of and then I'll probably throw it up on the interwebs for you guys.
    7628986216_91d8ebe88d_b.jpg

LaCabra on
    The screen shots look awesome! I can't remember, but is this coming out for Android or just ios?

Just Windows/Mac/iOS. Not fully UE3 licensed.

Ah roger that. I'll just go the Windows route! Looking forward to it!

edited August 2012
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=k7k-KgcsZx0

Video game!

I am super pleased with how nice I've been able to make this look on there

LaCabra on
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0hk8943FdOE&feature=youtu.be

A version of Vroom for your personal computer! Probably release it tomorrow, I'm making sure it's relatively bug-free.

And here it is:
    I just submitted the PC version of Vroom to IndieDB/Desura, it's not up there yet but you can get it here. This is a game @remington and @peterdevore and myself made for iOS last year, based on a mod for HL2 that me and @remington and @slapdash and a bunch of other guys from here made back in '08. You drive a truck around and run over zombies. Let me know if you hit any awful bugs or crashes or anything.

BAM! Download link.

Potentially interested parties include:
    @remington
    @slapdash
    @thejazzman
    @Guido-Anchovy
    @LittleBoots
    @The Reverend Dr Galactus
    @DeMoN
    @thorgot
    @Ohtsam
    @Centipeed
    @Raslin
    @Jandaru
    @FlippyD
    @Zetx
    @Sebiel
    @Captain K
    @The Kool Eagle

Free video games ITT!

• ZetxZetx 🐧 Registered User regular
    Congrats on going all the way! I'll have to grab this when I get off work today.

76561197966849367.png
  • OhtsamOhtsam Registered User regular
    Damn its been a long time since I thought about that mod. A shame that I barely knew anything of programming back then :(

• LittleBootsLittleBoots Registered User regular
    If only you had my lamps, you could have gone for the big time.

Tofu wrote: Here be Littleboots, destroyer of threads and master of drunkposting.
    Why the hell did you never send me those lamps. You had ingame screenshots and everything.

• JandaruJandaru New ZealandRegistered User regular
    edited August 2012
    And here it is:
    I just submitted the PC version of Vroom to IndieDB/Desura, it's not up there yet but you can get it here. This is a game @remington and @peterdevore and myself made for iOS last year, based on a mod for HL2 that me and @remington and @slapdash and a bunch of other guys from here made back in '08. You drive a truck around and run over zombies. Let me know if you hit any awful bugs or crashes or anything.

BAM! Download link.

Potentially interested parties include:
    (snip)
    @Jandaru

Oh man!

Embarrassing admission - I've never actually tried Shotgun Sunrise due to my lacking a PC or a copy of Half Life 2...
    I potentially have both of things now though!

Jandaru on
    0ijlzpptari2.png
    You should totally set up a game with some dudes in the Official Shotgun Sunrise Zombie Slaughter Force

• darklite_xdarklite_x I'm not an r-tard... Registered User regular
    I gotta say Cab, I really like the look of those screenshots. Glad to see you guys are still around and kicking.

Steam ID: darklite_x Xbox Gamertag: Darklite 37 PSN:Rage_Kage_37 Battle.Net:darklite#2197
    Thanks maaaaaaaaaan. I'm glad I tagged all you dudes. Although apparently not you, @darklite_x. Were you an SS contributor? There were so many..