As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/

[Prime] The Fifth Annual Triwizard Drinking Tournament [Full!]

• BrockDogBrockDog Registered User, __BANNED USERS new member
    edited August 2012
    Holy cow! Only about a week left till I leave for PAX! I can't wait!

BrockDog on
  • AltDeleteAltDelete Registered User regular
    For registration, did people get their confirmation bar code as soon as they registered?

I did receive an email with a link to the code as soon as I registered.

Challenge 4: Harry Potter and Three Wizards, One Goblet
    Oh dear.

• adesteradester Registered User regular
    edited August 2012
    Sageheart wrote: »
    adester wrote: »
    Sageheart.. Ravenclaw in glorious fashion trying to take some Hufflepuff thunder.. :D

Hufflepuff, in glorious fashion waiting until the last minute and then claiming their thunder was "stolen" when they find out someone already had their idea. We've had this song up for consideration some time, we just needed the group vote to make it official. And there's no rule that two groups can't use the same song, you'll just have to use it in the bitter knowledge that us Ravenclaws are out there doing it better.

And also: we're Death Eaters, if all we take from you is your thunder then you've come out ahead. :-P

I wouldn't go saying Ravenclaw could do anything better.. We are badgers after all.

I suppose you are right, if the only thing taken from us is are thunder and not the win then we are ahead.. :D

adester on
  • Atlus ParkerAtlus Parker Registered User regular
    While I won't say that this is the finalized bar route, I will say that I'm waiting to hear back from @PunkJr about it.

Let me know if you see any mistakes.

• EnigmasEnigmas Registered User regular
    edited August 2012
    It's too bad the Olive Way Corridor bars have been taken out of contention cause of distance. There's a lot of really great new bars in that stretch, plus old favorites like Crescent. Maybe next year we can have a Houses Base somewhere like Pine Box or Clever Dunnes and hit some bars in the Pike/Pine corridor to get more variety in. I just really want to see some Slytherin karaoke.

Enigmas on
    3DS: 4871-3908-4971
    Hungry? The Cookie Brigade!
    PAX Prime 2013 Buttoneer! Main Design! And the Creeper is still waiting for you...

Slytherin House Elf for the Order of the Phoenix!
    Just because we're arrogant, doesn't mean we're (completely) evil.
  • WestrunnerWestrunner Steam's Dirty Little Whore Mojave Desert, NVRegistered User regular
    As a first timer: Atlus that looks awesome. All the bars on yelp look seriously cool. Bonus: All close together and 15 minutes from the Convention center walking. Excited.

TWDT12: Gryffindor - OotP TWDT14: Gryffindor - OotP
  • CaptainTapoleCaptainTapole Awesome in the Possum - Yee-Haw! Northern CaliforniaRegistered User regular
    I think that's a first for Slytherins dueling against Gryffinsnores first rather than second or last.

The Girl Who Gave Everyone the Shortest Jenga Game Ever.
  • lilinoelilinoe [E] LA Registered User regular
    Hello.
    Slytherin OotP Head Girl checking in! I'm not very active on this forum but some of you might know me from IRC (handle LA) or as a Line Entertainment Enforcer (handle...LA). I look forward to...helping everyone.

• stabn_stabn_ Registered User regular
    Welcome to the best half of Slytherin!

Slytherin Headboy: Order of the Phoenix!
  • DeciusDecius I'm old! I'm fat! I'M BLUE!Registered User regular
    Alright your semi-sober House Elf for OOTP RA checking in here. Look for the cowboy hat.

camo_sig2.png
    I never finish anyth
  • SaxicideSaxicide Registered User regular
    I hope Purr breaks out the karaoke!

• ElPolloDiabloElPolloDiablo Registered User new member
    How does one get on the wait list for this?

• zerzhulzerzhul Registered User, Moderator mod

I wanted to let you all know that I had to disable the waitlist. It wasn't working as intended and allowing people to register for groups that were closed. This means that any cancelled registrations will be filled by whomever catches it first. I do apologize for this inconvenience but the waitlist function was not working as intended and I see no possible fix for it.

• lizpiratelizpirate Portland, ORRegistered User regular
    I really have to gear up my liver if I'm going for the Horcruxes--that's 8 drinks right there!

Do any of these fine establishments offer karaoke? Is there a way to convince them they should even if it's not a normal Thursday night activity? Otherwise, fair warning, I will probably be singing loudly and drunkenly anyhow.

• arwen_doll16_LOTRarwen_doll16_LOTR Commander Registered User regular
    So...anyone able to suggest a replacement for regular beer for the challenges?
    I am not much of a beer drinker and don't really like em but I still want to be a good sport. If it means I have to chug and forget I will but I would also like to enjoy my time and drink ;)

I should go.
    534159_4247466298641_1660805487_n.jpg
  • EnigmasEnigmas Registered User regular
    I am not much of a beer drinker and don't really like em but I still want to be a good sport. If it means I have to chug and forget I will but I would also like to enjoy my time and drink ;)

As a score marker, I would accept a Cider in place of a "Light" beer. If you're on the dark side though, I'm gonna have to insist that beer be as black as night.

3DS: 4871-3908-4971
    Hungry? The Cookie Brigade!
    PAX Prime 2013 Buttoneer! Main Design! And the Creeper is still waiting for you...

Slytherin House Elf for the Order of the Phoenix!
    Just because we're arrogant, doesn't mean we're (completely) evil.
  • tybottybot Registered User regular
    Enigmas wrote: »

As a score marker, I would accept a Cider in place of a "Light" beer. If you're on the dark side though, I'm gonna have to insist that beer be as black as night.

How about a Bruised Apple for the dark beer? It's half Guiness half cider? All evil and tasty.

• OptimusbryOptimusbry Event Designer Long Beach CARegistered User regular
    edited August 2012
    Attention fellow Ravenclaw! Now that I've gotten the ok I would like to present to you my donation to the auction! Here we have 2 cases of home brewed Essence of Dragon's Breath (or as the muggles call it, Ghost Chili Vodka), one for OotP and one for DE! Perfect for you potion masters who want to add a big kick to your home made potions! DISCLAIMER!! These are not for the faint of heart! Seriously if you have asthma you should not drink this stuff, it might kill you.
    dragonsbreath.jpg

Optimusbry on
    Nintendo ID: Optimusbry :: Xbox Live: Optimus Bry :: PSN: Optimusbry :: Steam ID: Optimus Bry
    zerzhul wrote: »

I wanted to let you all know that I had to disable the waitlist. It wasn't working as intended and allowing people to register for groups that were closed. This means that any cancelled registrations will be filled by whomever catches it first. I do apologize for this inconvenience but the waitlist function was not working as intended and I see no possible fix for it.

I believe the confusion stems from the Facebook page which still mentions the waitlist. I'll be fixing it shortly.

lizpirate wrote: »
    I really have to gear up my liver if I'm going for the Horcruxes--that's 8 drinks right there!

Do any of these fine establishments offer karaoke? Is there a way to convince them they should even if it's not a normal Thursday night activity? Otherwise, fair warning, I will probably be singing loudly and drunkenly anyhow.

One can not collect all the Horcruxes on their own. It takes loyalty and friendship to bring all 7 together.

Bonus buttons are meant to be one per person.

• TheAggroCraigTheAggroCraig Ultimate Lucky Douchebag MassachusettsRegistered User regular
    Any word on fun shit for Gryffindor? A Facebook group? Song? A week away and I feel like nothing cool is happening D:

• bubblegumnexbubblegumnex Registered User regular
    edited August 2012
    Decius wrote: »
    Alright your semi-sober House Elf for OOTP RA checking in here. Look for the cowboy hat.

How fast will this House Elf become sober?

Also, I presume that drunk off happens at 8:30?

bubblegumnex on
    <@zerzhul&gt; bubblegumnex: you were so very fucked up
    <@zerzhul&gt; you win at twdt
  • lizpiratelizpirate Portland, ORRegistered User regular

One can not collect all the Horcruxes on their own. It takes loyalty and friendship to bring all 7 together.

Phew! Thank goodness. I was thinking that sounded like a recipe for alcohol poisoning. :P

• StupidStupid Newcastle, NSWRegistered User regular
    While I won't say that this is the finalized bar route, I will say that I'm waiting to hear back from @PunkJr about it.

Let me know if you see any mistakes.
    Wow, a lot more compact than previous years! Looks like we'll never have to walk more than about a block and a half! I'm actually going to miss Clever Dunne's - even if we did sit there for nearly five hours last year. :(
    Optimusbry wrote: »
    Attention fellow Ravenclaw! Now that I've gotten the ok I would like to present to you my donation to the auction! Here we have 2 cases of home brewed Essence of Dragon's Breath (or as the muggles call it, Ghost Chili Vodka), one for OotP and one for DE! Perfect for you potion masters who want to add a big kick to your home made potions! DISCLAIMER!! These are not for the faint of heart! Seriously if you have asthma you should not drink this stuff, it might kill you.
    dragonsbreath.jpg
    Whoa! I'm a big fan of vodka and I'd love to taste this stuff. It sounds absolutely HORRIBLE!!

I shall do my best to help out my fellow Hufflepuffians to acquire their own. Psh! Eight measly drinks... that's almost like a night off.

26904.png
  • JoshEEEJoshEEE Registered User regular
    tybot wrote: »

How about a Bruised Apple for the dark beer? It's half Guiness half cider? All evil and tasty.

I am another one of those folks who refuses to drink lager, cider, port, stout, ale.....or any of those other names beer makers give to beer to try to trick people into thinking that it's not just beer. I can't imagine forcing myself to drink any variety of beer...even in the name of being a good sport. For all you beer drinkers out there who don't sympathize, you'll have to imagine how excited you might be if someone thought it would be a great idea to have a couple of "asparagus pee" drinking rounds.

That face you just made....that's the face I make if I imagine myself drinking a glass of beer.

Last year, I think I swapped a shot of something or other out for the beer, so it would be cool if there is an "officially sanctioned" substitute for beer in the beer challenges. Perhaps each house could have a house drink, or a type of shot or whatever...and that could be the universal "swap-out" for another drink a participant is dead set against paying for and imbibing.

If not, I can live with the missing checkboxes....and the night will be awesome anyway. :-)

Bring it

GWgFmYD.png
  • MogsMogs Registered User regular
    JoshEEE wrote: »
    tybot wrote: »

I am another one of those folks who refuses to drink lager, cider, port, stout, ale.....or any of those other names beer makers give to beer to try to trick people into thinking that it's not just beer. I can't imagine forcing myself to drink any variety of beer...even in the name of being a good sport. For all you beer drinkers out there who don't sympathize, you'll have to imagine how excited you might be if someone thought it would be a great idea to have a couple of "asparagus pee" drinking rounds.

That face you just made....that's the face I make if I imagine myself drinking a glass of beer.

Last year, I think I swapped a shot of something or other out for the beer, so it would be cool if there is an "officially sanctioned" substitute for beer in the beer challenges. Perhaps each house could have a house drink, or a type of shot or whatever...and that could be the universal "swap-out" for another drink a participant is dead set against paying for and imbibing.

If not, I can live with the missing checkboxes....and the night will be awesome anyway. :-)

How is cider the same as beer? o.O

• JoshEEEJoshEEE Registered User regular
    Mogs wrote: »

How is cider the same as beer? o.O

They both taste like nasty, cheap fermented alcohol.

I know it's hard to explain to people who already have the taste for it. The best analogy I can make that some folks tell me they understand is asking you to imagine a world in which you hated coffee.

Imagine hating not just the taste of it, but even hating that wonderful smell. Imagine your friends trying to explain to you how there's a huge difference between the 5 gallon coffee pot at work that has been sitting there since 8am, and a fresh pressed slow roasted premium import blend. Imagine having breakfast with your family, everyone sharing a hot pot of coffee...and even though you want to be a part of that communal experience, you can't...because it's disgusting to you. Imagine your friends insisting that if you just tried Starbucks newest dessert flavored beverage...you'd love it. Perhaps you'd be a good sport about it (like I am) and you'd actually try dozens of different flavors trying to find that one elusive magical blend that you'd be able to tolerate. Still, no matter how many cups you had....all you would ever taste is the flavor it's all based on: Coffee. Whether it was a 99 cent cup of coffee at a truck stop AM/PM...or a crystal glass of 160 dollar a pound Kopi Luwak served to you by a butler on your own private island....if you hate coffee, it's all going to smell and taste disgusting to you.

That's how beer is for me. Doesn't matter what color it is, how it's dressed up, what summer or winter flavors they've mixed in.....it's all just rotten, fermented crap. I honestly wish I enjoyed it...but I've never met a beer I enjoyed.

Bring it

GWgFmYD.png
  • vgcvgc United StatesRegistered User regular

They both taste like nasty, cheap fermented alcohol.

I know it's hard to explain to people who already have the taste for it. The best analogy I can make that some folks tell me they understand is asking you to imagine a world in which you hated coffee.

Imagine hating not just the taste of it, but even hating that wonderful smell. Imagine your friends trying to explain to you how there's a huge difference between the 5 gallon coffee pot at work that has been sitting there since 8am, and a fresh pressed slow roasted premium import blend. Imagine having breakfast with your family, everyone sharing a hot pot of coffee...and even though you want to be a part of that communal experience, you can't...because it's disgusting to you. Imagine your friends insisting that if you just tried Starbucks newest dessert flavored beverage...you'd love it. Perhaps you'd be a good sport about it (like I am) and you'd actually try dozens of different flavors trying to find that one elusive magical blend that you'd be able to tolerate. Still, no matter how many cups you had....all you would ever taste is the flavor it's all based on: Coffee. Whether it was a 99 cent cup of coffee at a truck stop AM/PM...or a crystal glass of 160 dollar a pound Kopi Luwak served to you by a butler on your own private island....if you hate coffee, it's all going to smell and taste disgusting to you.

That's how beer is for me. Doesn't matter what color it is, how it's dressed up, what summer or winter flavors they've mixed in.....it's all just rotten, fermented crap. I honestly wish I enjoyed it...but I've never met a beer I enjoyed.

I hate coffee and I hate beer. I know exactly what you're talking about.

• SageheartSageheart Tampa, FLRegistered User regular
    vgc wrote: »
    I hate coffee and I hate beer. I know exactly what you're talking about.
    I'm in the same boat. I dislike beer and coffee (I don't even like the smell of coffee). Every time I tell someone I don't like beer or coffee they always say 'well, it's an acquired taste.' And I hate it because it's always like they're waiting for me to say "Well I'll just start chugging it until I enjoy it then!" as if its somehow my fault for not choking down enough of something I find disgusting to be able to ignore how awful it tastes.

Tickets + Flight + Hotel = SEE YOU AT PAX 2012!
    Pre-PAX Dinner | Tri-Wizard Drinking Tournament | Post-PAX Party
    2012 Prime Buttoneer (Main | Bonus)
    Ravenclaw Death Eaters, Head Boy - Ravenclaw DE is on Twitter and Facebook!
  • MogsMogs Registered User regular
    Cider tastes sweet, like apple juice, whereas beer is more bitter. I do get where you're coming from with beer, but cider is a totally different animal from my experience. My husband loathes beer and describes the flavor as something akin to ear wax, but he'll happily drown himself in cider.

The challenges are always tough for me, too. I generally don't drink a lot of hard alcohol (really hard for me to stay under my limit), so I do what I can for the challenges and don't worry about the rest.

• vgcvgc United StatesRegistered User regular
    Mogs wrote: »
    Cider tastes sweet, like apple juice, whereas beer is more bitter. I do get where you're coming from with beer, but cider is a totally different animal from my experience. My husband loathes beer and describes the flavor as something akin to ear wax, but he'll happily drown himself in cider.

The challenges are always tough for me, too. I generally don't drink a lot of hard alcohol (really hard for me to stay under my limit), so I do what I can for the challenges and don't worry about the rest.

I do love cider the sweet fruity "beers". Normal beer has to be choked down, which I'm not proud to say that I have done many, many times.

I also love hard alcohol. I can down shots like nobody's business. Unfortunately, I'm an extreme lightweight, so i definitely have to watch myself during this event.

• Little Miss RachelLittle Miss Rachel Geek Chick Before Geek Was Chic Idahoan ExileRegistered User regular
    dragonsbreath.jpg

Woah...I unfortunately missed the Ravenclaw signups this year, but, I would have great interest in acquiring some of this potion...or, alternately, a recipe thereto...

~loves vodka, loves ghost chiles~

Woah...I unfortunately missed the Ravenclaw signups this year, but, I would have great interest in acquiring some of this potion...or, alternately, a recipe thereto...

I'm going to bring some extra in a flask for anyone who would like to try it and I'll be making more batches for Christmas time so I'm sure I can work something out for anyone who wants some.

Nintendo ID: Optimusbry :: Xbox Live: Optimus Bry :: PSN: Optimusbry :: Steam ID: Optimus Bry
  • redhaloredhalo Also a Professional Alcoholic Registered User regular
    edited August 2012

Aw man what? It must suck to live in your world. I for one love asparagus pee.

edit: ...and beer styles aren't a conspiracy. Out of interest, what do you drink?

redhalo on
  • Little Miss RachelLittle Miss Rachel Geek Chick Before Geek Was Chic Idahoan ExileRegistered User regular

I'm going to bring some extra in a flask for anyone who would like to try it and I'll be making more batches for Christmas time so I'm sure I can work something out for anyone who wants some.

Fantastic! Will you be at the PPD before the Tournament starts? Might be a good time to meet up and try a swig. =)

Fantastic! Will you be at the PPD before the Tournament starts? Might be a good time to meet up and try a swig. =)
    Sure will, just look out for the ginger in the suit with the ravenclaw tie

• TOGSolidTOGSolid Drunk sailor Seattle, WashingtonRegistered User regular
    edited August 2012
    redhalo wrote: »
    Ask TOGSolid if he's gonna be stay sober...
    Should start drunk already if he's doing it right.
    1345513179088.jpg

:D
    I don't think anyone will really give a fuck if you swap your beer out for a shot. As long as alcohol is being consumed you're doing it right.

TOGSolid on
    wWuzwvJ.png
  • tybottybot Registered User regular
    From Gryffindor DE, I bring wand for each house auction for Child's Play.
    417392_274422986000441_1496731912_n.jpg

• arwen_doll16_LOTRarwen_doll16_LOTR Commander Registered User regular
    I might try some cider =) And I didn't even think about swapping drinks mostly cause I didn't want to seem like a spoil sport haha. Glad to see I am not alone in the beer disliking group though!

I should go.
    534159_4247466298641_1660805487_n.jpg
  • CaptainTapoleCaptainTapole Awesome in the Possum - Yee-Haw! Northern CaliforniaRegistered User regular
    I am guessing the "House-A" and "House-B" means OotP and DE respectively? Dear Gods, I hope it does or else I did it totally wrong.

The Girl Who Gave Everyone the Shortest Jenga Game Ever.
This discussion has been closed.