As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

[PRIME] PAX Prime 2012 Console Tournaments!

BrainsBrains Console Tournament ManagerRegistered User regular
edited September 2012 in PAX West
So we've tried something new this time, and put most of the rules into the PAX schedule on the website.

Hopefully this isn't too hard to read. If you've got any questions/comments, I'm happy to take them.

For those of you that haven't seen this on the web-schedule:

Day Start time End time Game System Format/Players Rules
Friday
1:00 PM 3:00 PM Puzzle Bobble XBLA 1v1, 32 Players Max
2:00 PM 4:00 PM Super Street Fighter 4 X360 1v1, 64 Players Max "2/3 Game Rounds, 2/3 Game Sets, BYOStick OK, Alternate controllers subject to approval"
3:00 PM 5:00 PM Goldeneye N64 4-way FFA, 32 Players Max
4:00 PM 6:00 PM Trials Evolution XBLA 4-way FFA, 64 Players Max Supercross Only
5:00 PM 7:00 PM Geometry Wars 2 XBLA 4-way FFA, 64 Players Max Deadline Only
6:00 PM 8:00 PM Marvel vs. Capcom 3 Ultimate Edition X360 1v1, 64 Players Max "3/5 Game Sets, BYOStick OK, Alternate controllers subject to approval"
7:00 PM 10:00 PM Tetris Attack SNES 1v1, 32 Players Max Start on Level 7
8:00 PM 10:00 PM Mystery Tournament XBLA 4-way FFA, 32 Players Max

Saturday
12:00 PM 2:00 PM Soul Calibur V X360 1v1, 64 Players Max "3/5 Game Rounds, 2/3 Game Sets, BYOStick OK, Alternate controllers subject to approval"
1:00 PM 3:00 PM Super Puzzle Fighter Turbo 2 HDR XBLA 1v1, 32 Players Max X' Mode Final
2:00 PM 4:00 PM Halo: Reach X360 4-way FFA, 64 Players Max
4:00 PM 6:00 PM NBA Jam: On Fire Edition XBLA 1v1, 32 Players Max
5:00 PM 7:00 PM Mario Kart: Double Dash Wii 4-way FFA, 64 Players Max "100cc, BYOC OK"
6:00 PM 8:00 PM Super Street Fighter 2 Turbo HDR XBLA 1v1, 32 Players Max "2/3 Game Rounds, 2/3 Game Sets, BYOStick OK, Alternate controllers subject to approval"
7:00 PM 9:00 PM Super Smash Bros. Brawl (part 1) Wii 1v1, 64 Players Max "http://super-smash-bros.wikia.com/wiki/Tournament_legal_(SSBB), BYOC OK"
8:00 PM 10:00 PM Mystery Tournament X360 4-way FFA, 32 Players Max
9:00 PM 11:00 PM Super Smash Bros. Brawl (part 2) Wii 1v1, 64 Players Max "http://super-smash-bros.wikia.com/wiki/Tournament_legal_(SSBB), BYOC OK"

Sunday
12:00 PM 2:00 PM Virtual-On OT XBLA 1v1, 32 Players Max
1:00 PM 3:00 PM Saturn Bomberman Sega Saturn 10-way FFA, 40 Players Max
2:00 PM 4:00 PM Beautiful Katamari X360 1v1, 32 Players Max 3 Min - Street

Moe Fwacky on

• Options
    ViviffTheGreatViviffTheGreat Registered User new member
    I've won the Brawl tournament the last 3 years while being active in the professional scene, and the ruleslist you're using/linking to is not only outdated, but was never in wide-use. The key issues with that list include are Meta Knight being banned, and the stage list. Everything else is probably negligible, as I'm aware of how casual the event it, but those two really jump out at me and I'd like to help make the ruleset more contemporary to today's metagame.

(There's also absolutely no way to make this post without sounding like a complete keyboard warrior/tool. It's a little saddening)

• Options
    BrainsBrains Console Tournament Manager Registered User regular
    Alright, then would you PM me a ruleset that you think is better?

• Options
    AlastingepiphanyAlastingepiphany Registered User new member
    Are there prizes? if what are they?

We are a global network of neurochemical reactions. The self-amplifying cycle of acceptance and acknowledgment, sustained by the daily choices in our interactions, is the chain reaction that will ultimately define our collective ability to overcome imagined differences and look at life in the grand scheme of things.
  • Options
    olanmillsolanmills Registered User regular
    edited August 2012
    I guess I'm wrong. The prizes are medals, and now that I think about it, I remember seeing them before. Check it out:
    http://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/138901/pax-east-2011-tournament-medal-winners

Yeah there are usually prizes for the tournaments. I haven't participated in a tournament in years and I never won or placed high in one, so I might not have these details exactly right, but basically, there is a prize claim area with all sorts of prizes donated by sponsors. The types of prizes include things like video games, special edition controllers, collectible figurines/statues, posters, and more.

This is where I'm not 100% certain of the details. I think the prizes have different costs associated with them. For example, a video game might be worth 500 points and maybe a poster is worth 50 points. When you win a tournament, you'll get some kind of voucher with a value. Someone who wins a 128-person tournament would get a more valuable voucher than someone who wins a 32-person tournament, for example. You can then take your voucher and "spend" it on prizes. I think you can potentially combine vouchers if you win more than one tournament. All tournaments use this system (console, handheld, and tabletop). There aren't specific different prizes for the different tournaments. The prizes are first come, first served. If there's say, one Razer keyboard available, and someone who wins a tournament on the first day chooses that prize, well then there are that many less prizes to choose from.

I know what I described sounds like Chuck-E-Cheese, but trust me, the prizes are good. It's just that there isn't a specific set of prizes for a specific tournament.

What I have said applies to the official PAX tournaments (the ones shown in the schedule). Exhibitors may run their own contests and tournaments, and they are a completely seperate events controlled by the exhibitors.

olanmills on
    VmUq7mz.png
  • Options
    olanmillsolanmills Registered User regular
    edited August 2012
    double post

olanmills on
    VmUq7mz.png
  • Options
    BigRedBigRed Seattle, WARegistered User regular
    olanmills wrote: »
    Yeah there are usually prizes for the tournaments. I haven't participated in a tournament in years and I never won or placed high in one, so I might not have these details exactly right, but basically, there is a prize claim area with all sorts of prizes donated by sponsors. The types of prizes include things like video games, special edition controllers, collectible figurines/statues, posters, and more.

This is where I'm not 100% certain of the details. I think the prizes have different costs associated with them. For example, a video game might be worth 500 points and maybe a poster is worth 50 points. When you win a tournament, you'll get some kind of voucher with a value. Someone who wins a 128-person tournament would get a more valuable voucher than someone who wins a 32-person tournament, for example. You can then take your voucher and "spend" it on prizes. I think you can potentially combine vouchers if you win more than one tournament. All tournaments use this system (console, handheld, and tabletop). There aren't specific different prizes for the different tournaments. The prizes are first come, first served. If there's say, one Razer keyboard available, and someone who wins a tournament on the first day chooses that prize, well then there are that many less prizes to choose from.

Prize redemption in the form you mention hasn't been a thing since before 2007.

I believe there are medals for tourney winners, like in all the other PAX tournaments (console, pc, tabletop, etc)

<MoeFwacky> besides, BigRed-Worky is right
  • Options
    ViviffTheGreatViviffTheGreat Registered User new member
    Yeah it's just medals for top 3 (Olympic style)

• Options
    HobosogoHobosogo Registered User regular
    Do you know the Rules/Maps that will be used for the Reach tournament?

Also, this might sound like a silly question, and I wouldn't necessarily expect you to know the answer, but do you know what type of screens we will be playing on?

nothing like a warm beer on a monday afternoon...
  • Options
    Hobosogo wrote: »

Also, this might sound like a silly question, and I wouldn't necessarily expect you to know the answer, but do you know what type of screens we will be playing on?

Yes, I do know. No, I won't tell you. :)

If I had to guess, we'll be 4-up on 40inch LCDs.

• Options
    Yeah it's just medals for top 3 (Olympic style)

For the majority of tournaments, there's only 1 medal.

• Options
    mountainmountain Registered User new member
    I know some people who want to enter one of the tourneys but can't show up early to the show (but they'd be there at the time the tourney started). Can I sign them up without them being there (it would be about 3 people, 4 including me, that I'd be signing up)? I'm a little concerned because this particular tourney only allows for 32 people and they really want to take part since they're all expert players.

Also, I've heard the controllers that are provided can be really poor quality or worn out. Is it generally OK to bring your own (SNES controllers in this case)? They'd just be standard SNES controllers--nothing special about them apart from the fact that they are in decent condition.

• Options
    Brains wrote: »

So FFA on the same screen? Not teams?

• Options
    mountain wrote: »
    I know some people who want to enter one of the tourneys but can't show up early to the show (but they'd be there at the time the tourney started). Can I sign them up without them being there (it would be about 3 people, 4 including me, that I'd be signing up)? I'm a little concerned because this particular tourney only allows for 32 people and they really want to take part since they're all expert players.
    The short answer is no. The longer answer is that, in an effort to keep things simple and fair, we'll only be allowing people to sign themselves up, first-come first-served. I appreciate that you asked.
    Also, I've heard the controllers that are provided can be really poor quality or worn out. Is it generally OK to bring your own (SNES controllers in this case)? They'd just be standard SNES controllers--nothing special about them apart from the fact that they are in decent condition.
    Bringing your own standard controller is okay.

• Options

I suppose I didn't explain myself well enough. Given time and space constraints, a few of the rounds will be 4-up. I think we've come up with a solution that should make this alright. I can't say much more than that right now.

• Options
    mountainmountain Registered User new member
    The short answer is no. The longer answer is that, in an effort to keep things simple and fair, we'll only be allowing people to sign themselves up, first-come first-served. I appreciate that you asked.
    Bringing your own standard controller is okay.

Although that's not what I was hoping to hear (about signing up others), understood. The others are stuck working most of the day so it's a shame they may not be able to take part as they are really good.

And thanks about the info on the controllers--that's relieving to know. Although if I get eliminated in the first round, I guess I won't be able to use the "I lost because of the controller" excuse... But I'm sure I could find something else to blame! :)

• Options
    TektonikkTektonikk PAX South/West Console Tournament Manager Registered User regular
    If a tournament's demand would reach its cap, would the CT guys be willing to install a waiting list or increase the cap so more people can play; or are the maximum number of players set in stone? Also, are players only allowed to sign up for tournaments day of, or can we sign up earlier (Signing up on Friday for a tournament on Sunday)?

Much appreciated in advance!

• Options

I suppose I didn't explain myself well enough. Given time and space constraints, a few of the rounds will be 4-up. I think we've come up with a solution that should make this alright. I can't say much more than that right now.

Thats cool, i understand you probably have a lot on your plate right now organizing all this stuff :p.

I do remember two years ago we did teams of four on the same screens and that seemed to work just fine, but maybe its just too much of a pain managing groups of four though.

Thanks for putting all of this together!

• Options
    BinkleyBinkley Registered User regular
    Not 100% sure if I will enter, but can I play on a Hitbox (stickless controller) for Ultimate Marvel 3?

A video blog about random jank:
    The KB Life
  • Options
    Tektonikk wrote: »
    If a tournament's demand would reach its cap, would the CT guys be willing to install a waiting list or increase the cap so more people can play; or are the maximum number of players set in stone? Also, are players only allowed to sign up for tournaments day of, or can we sign up earlier (Signing up on Friday for a tournament on Sunday)?

Much appreciated in advance!

We will keep a short waiting list of approx. 10% of the max player cap. Unfortunately, we can't increase the caps any more, since we've setup each tournament to take full advantage of it's time block.

Signups are day-of only.

• Options
    sicsonicsicsonic Registered User regular
    When do the mystery games get announced? When are the tournament locations announced?

Sorry I'm a PAX newbie. :p

• Options
    m1n1cam1n1ca Registered User new member
    are there prizes for any of the console games? ( last year I received a medal, but I heard there is someone new that is running the tournaments so I am hoping that it may have changed)

• Options
    Sweet88Sweet88 Registered User new member
    Why isn't there a Peggle tournament this year? How am I supposed to redeem myself after I won the 2010 tournament and got busted in the first round last year? Maybe it's not too late to add it? The last two years, its been starting after the exhibition hall closes.Thanks.

• Options
    Eyes5Eyes5 Registered User regular
    I'm a bit confused about the Mario Kart tournament. It's Double Dash, but we're playing it on Wii? Will we have partners, and will all karts/stages be unlocked?

• Options
    zachdmszachdms aka Preppy SeattleRegistered User regular
    Is it SSF4 or SSF4:AE?

Thanks for stepping up and running it this year.

http://zachd.com/mvc2 - Capcom fighting game videos
  • Options
    Sweet88Sweet88 Registered User new member
    sicsonic wrote: »
    When do the mystery games get announced? When are the tournament locations announced?

Sorry I'm a PAX newbie. :p

http://prime.paxsite.com/schedule/category/ct-p

It looks like its at 8pm, Fri and Sat, probably on the top floor. I think all the console tourneys are in the same area.

This discussion has been closed.