As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

PAX PRIME 2012 Information and FAQ (READ THIS FIRST, THEN ASK ALL QUESTIONS HERE)

• Options
    AiouaAioua Ora Occidens Ora OptimaRegistered User regular
    Is there a place to see what the "selected content" that will be streamed will be? Gabe mentioned it in his post today, but I don't see a schedule for that yet. Or is it going to be a surprise as it comes available? *sad face* Wish i could be there this year.

Everything in Kraken Theatre will be streamed. Some of the things in Main theatre will be streamed, as far as I know that's not all nailed down yet.

life's a game that you're bound to lose / like using a hammer to pound in screws
    fuck up once and you break your thumb / if you're happy at all then you're god damn dumb
    that's right we're on a fucked up cruise / God is dead but at least we have booze
    bad things happen, no one knows why / the sun burns out and everyone dies
  • Options
    jaberwockynmtjaberwockynmt PAX Info Booth Manager Renton, WARegistered User regular
    grifta67 wrote: »
    Hello!

What's the general consensus for sending someone to pick up food while we're in line at the main theater? I don't mind waiting in line 1.5 hours for the keynote/make a strip/celeb D&D game, but I'm a huge fan of optimizing time and that's a perfect time to sit down and nourish our bellies while waiting (wow, belly looks weird plural, huh?). If one of us leaves the line to go pick up some foodstuff, will they be able to get back to us with the spoils?

I know I never really mind when one person jumps back in line like that, but I'd hate to get shut down, sent to the back and split up from my gal.

Thanks!
    -Sean
    I'm pretty sure that sending a runner to go get you food is fine, but @dyaballikl can give you a certain answer.

--Jarrod "Jaberwocky" Lombardo, PAX Enforcer: Info Booth Manager.
    "We know that the moment we slip, it will be taken away... and so it is of the utmost importance to be worthy of it constantly."
    PAX will always be held on the best weekend for PAX. Sometimes that will be a bad weekend for you; I'm sorry.
  • Options
    sanovahsanovah Nerd of the West San Diego, CaliforniaRegistered User regular
    Do buffet styles usually work? Maybe me just being skeptical, but it seems to me like people myself included would rush back to the queue room from the expo hall to get a bag

• Options
    MOSFETMOSFET Registered User regular
    sanovah wrote: »
    Do buffet styles usually work? Maybe me just being skeptical, but it seems to me like people myself included would rush back to the queue room from the expo hall to get a bag

Please refer to rule #1 of "Don't be a dick"

• Options
    BekerBeker Child's Play Program Director SeattleRegistered User, Penny Arcade Staff regular
    edited August 2012

As the post said the past plan was failing with the number of people involved. At East we had the line to the queue room back up to the info booth, and if you have been at East at all, you know just how far that is and how many people that means. As always PA is willing to change if things don't work, this is Swag Distribution v2, we shall see how it goes.

Some people will run back out at 11:30 for swag. Some will get distracted in expo with all the other swag and filter back to queue later in the day. Some will decide the default fliers and swag aren't worth it and not bother.

One thing to note, as far as I understand Lanyards and Programs will be handed out all over the place, likely wherever there is morning lines. Only the swag will be held until 11:30's buffet.
    Dave wrote:
    Programs and lanyards will be...everywhere.

Beker on
    -Beker/Erick
    zx6ak2M.png
  • Options
    Beker wrote: »

As the post said the past plan was failing with the number of people involved. At East we had the line to the queue room back up to the info booth, and if you have been at East at all, you know just how far that is and how many people that means. As always PA is willing to change if things don't work, this is Swag Distribution v2, we shall see how it goes.

Some people will run back out at 11:30 for swag. Some will get distracted in expo with all the other swag and filter back to queue later in the day. Some will decide the default fliers and swag aren't worth it and not bother.

*edit note* I thought I had read the below somewhere, but can't now find confirmation, so YMMV
    One thing to note, as far as I understand Lanyards and Programs will be handed out all over the place, likely wherever there is morning lines. Only the swag will be held until 11:30's buffet.

Ok cool ty for the reply this will be my first pax so I wasn't there for east so wasn't sure how well buffets worked for super large cons like pax

• Options
    TraitoriousTraitorious Registered User regular
    edited August 2012
    Hah, I assumed that the swag time change was due to the way everything ground to a complete halt during this past East after you entered into the queue room and went by the swag bag table. I was able to get mine before they just had to shut it down and fill everyone into the queue room first, and then had to start passing them down the queue lines one-by-one. That just looked like a nightmare for the people running the swag table Friday morning...

I guess we'll have to see how this new "buffet style" works out. Gonna be a lot of honor systeming going on me thinks.

Traitorious on
  • Options
    edited August 2012
    Hah, I assumed that the swag time change was due to the way everything ground to a complete halt during this past East after you entered into the queue room and went by the swag bag table. I was able to get mine before they just had to shut it down and fill everyone into the queue room first, and then had to start passing them down the queue lines one-by-one. That just looked like a nightmare for the people running the swag table Friday morning...

I guess we'll have to see how this new "buffet style" works out. Gonna be a lot of honor systeming going on me thinks.

What exactly is in the PAX swag bags that makes them so cool that people would want more than one and require such an honor system? This summer has been my first convention summer and so far all of swag bags are is a place to put stuff you buy and a way for companies to advertise with the stuff they put in them?

sanovah on
  • Options
    KelaosKelaos Registered User regular
    Canadian here and I have a question about travel (which I really should've asked earlier)

Anyone have experience with getting a SIM or anything like that for the convention? I just want voice/text as I plan on turning mobile data off on my Android

Thanks and can't wait to be there and hopefully meet some people :)

• Options
    adesityadesity Registered User new member
    What exactly is in the PAX swag bags that makes them so cool that people would want more than one and require such an honor system? This summer has been my first convention summer and so far all of swag bags are is a place to put stuff you buy and a way for companies to advertise with the stuff they put in them?

From my experience: League of Legends PAX skin (which in the past has only been exclusive to PAX attendees). Meaning people try to get as many bags so they can sell them online. Kind of a douchebag move imo.

• Options
    adesity wrote: »

From my experience: League of Legends PAX skin (which in the past has only been exclusive to PAX attendees). Meaning people try to get as many bags so they can sell them online. Kind of a douchebag move imo.

Well unless I heard wrong/they change their minds, riot should/will be offering the PAX skin in store for those who didn't attend to buy. So if that's right we hopefully won't have people breaking wheatons laws and taking more than one bag

• Options
    Alpha I OmegaAlpha I Omega Button Pusher in local news Registered User regular

Well unless I heard wrong/they change their minds, riot should/will be offering the PAX skin in store for those who didn't attend to buy. So if that's right we hopefully won't have people breaking wheatons laws and taking more than one bag

Ugh thank god, I was lucky enough to get the "good" code in my bag (I dont play LoL) and my firends like WOWEEE GEE ALPHA CAN I HAZ? ILL BUY YOU LUNCH! And I was like sure, and some guy next to me was listening in and said HEY! Ill give you $20 for that, and we just walked off.

| Xbox Live GT: Alpha I Omega | PAX's Attended: Prime '11, Prime '12, Prime '13, East '13, Prime '14, Prime '15 |
    | Astro Gaming Chat Expert and Community Leader | Bacon Aficionado | Ewok Assassin |
    | Here's my BGG if you're a nerd: http://boardgamegeek.com/user/Alpha+I+Omega |
  • Options
    RavenHuskyRavenHusky Registered User regular

From what I have heard, Riot is making Arcade Sona available in the store because it was a community idea, as well as the skin being so much better than the previous pax skins, that they will make money hand over fist from those who are unable to attend as well as making it more available internationally, hence the lack of the PAX name.

tw787Xr.png

• Options
    dyaballikldyaballikl PAX Main Theatre House & Security Manager • PAX Community Cartographer Gold Coast QLD AustraliaRegistered User regular
    grifta67 wrote: »
    Hello!

What's the general consensus for sending someone to pick up food while we're in line at the main theater? I don't mind waiting in line 1.5 hours for the keynote/make a strip/celeb D&D game, but I'm a huge fan of optimizing time and that's a perfect time to sit down and nourish our bellies while waiting (wow, belly looks weird plural, huh?). If one of us leaves the line to go pick up some foodstuff, will they be able to get back to us with the spoils?

I know I never really mind when one person jumps back in line like that, but I'd hate to get shut down, sent to the back and split up from my gal.

Thanks!
    -Sean
    I'm pretty sure that sending a runner to go get you food is fine, but @dyaballikl can give you a certain answer.
    Main Theatre lines can be grueling, especially since they're outdoors. I support sending a runner, but we can't support the first person getting in line, then holding a spot while the rest do something else. Wheaton's law is very much enforced!

a.k.a. dya
    "Riding a mongoose reminds me of having sex with a man, which is something I do frequently because I am gay!" -Gabe
  • Options
    TraitoriousTraitorious Registered User regular

Outside of the LoL code, other devs/publishers/vendors also give out exclusive item codes to their games (sometimes actual full game codes too); coupons to their shops; and currency if they run f2p games. There's also other numerous reasons that behoove you to grab one if you can.

• Options

Outside of the LoL code, other devs/publishers/vendors also give out exclusive item codes to their games (sometimes actual full game codes too); coupons to their shops; and currency if they run f2p games. There's also other numerous reasons that behoove you to grab one if you can.

didnt know that. well then i guess we better hope the community as a whole aren't a bunch of dicks and try to get one early:)

• Options
    jukkakhanjukkakhan Registered User regular

Also got a free year of website hosting from a vendor last year which was perfect. The program was in there at last year's Prime. And of course, a free (intro) deck of Magic which was a great icebreaker while waiting in the Queue Room.

PimDtoK.png
  • Options
    NotSidNotSid Registered User regular
    I'm Canadian, and this will be my first visit to the States in a very long time. How much American cash would be a good amount to get before I leave for PAX?

• Options
    GeeCeeGeeCee Registered User regular
    edited August 2012
    Maybe $200, more if you're driving. Your credit cards will work in the US, and your debit card will work in some places, though you may get dinged pretty severely for using an American ATM.

GeeCee on
  • Options
    Another follow up question, are most places in the States stingy about taking Canadian cash? Should I expect to not be able to spend any Canadian currency while I'm there?

• Options
    capnsanitycapnsanity Professional Awesomer Registered User regular
    Probably should know this but where is this queue line that people are talking about? is it just to get into the expo hall and such? I'm thinking of showing up around 9 AM to hang out beforehand and such and THE LINE might be a fun little experience since this is my first PAX eveeeeer

• Options
    NotSid wrote: »
    Another follow up question, are most places in the States stingy about taking Canadian cash? Should I expect to not be able to spend any Canadian currency while I'm there?

Some places will take Canadian cash, but you'll get hit on the exchange rate. Getting American cash, even if you have to take it from the ATM with your Interac card, would probably be cheaper. Check with your bank on what American ATMs you can use, and how much it will cost to use them.

• Options
    One more question for now, will vendors at PAX be mostly just accepting cash or will there be debit machines set up as well? I'm guessing cash only for most of them, but I've never been to a convention so I don't really know! :P

• Options
    CaptainTapoleCaptainTapole Awesome in the Possum - Yee-Haw! Northern CaliforniaRegistered User regular
    One more question for now, will vendors at PAX be mostly just accepting cash or will there be debit machines set up as well? I'm guessing cash only for most of them, but I've never been to a convention so I don't really know! :P
    I think this was answered before--a couple of times--it is wise to have cash but does not hurt to have a card as well. For better details on how much to bring cash-wise, go through the last two or three pages on here.

The Girl Who Gave Everyone the Shortest Jenga Game Ever.
  • Options
    Kelaos wrote: »
    Canadian here and I have a question about travel (which I really should've asked earlier)

Anyone have experience with getting a SIM or anything like that for the convention? I just want voice/text as I plan on turning mobile data off on my Android

Thanks and can't wait to be there and hopefully meet some people :)

If your phone is unlocked and can connect to their network, I'd recommend T-Mobile's prepaid plans: http://prepaid-phones.t-mobile.com/pay-by-the-day-cell-phone-plans

The $2 a day plan will connect to their older slow EDGE network, which should allow you access to Twitter or whatever other low bandwidth things. I stop by a T-Mobile dealer on my way down to Seattle from Vancouver and get setup there. It's pretty easy.

• Options
    jukkakhanjukkakhan Registered User regular
    capnsanity wrote: »
    Probably should know this but where is this queue line that people are talking about? is it just to get into the expo hall and such? I'm thinking of showing up around 9 AM to hang out beforehand and such and THE LINE might be a fun little experience since this is my first PAX eveeeeer

The Queue Room is on the 4th floor of the WSCC and it's the big line up to get into the expo hall in the morning. If you're showing up at 9, you'll definitely be herded into it, just follow everyone else!

PimDtoK.png
  • Options
    ottergalottergal Registered User regular
    Smart Phones/Tablets/Netbooks

First question: In past years, I know 3G signal has been spotty, slow, and saturated. Is 4G much better?

Second question: I see Clear is having a pretty steep sale. The cost of the hotspot is inconsequential, but does anyone have experience with their "daily" plans?

I know this is old, but thought I'd chime in anyway. A couple of years ago I took a Clear network device which worked well. Full disclosure - I work for Clearwire although not on the retail side of the house. I'll be bringing a hot spot myself, hoping the network is as open this year as it was the last.

For cell phones, I personally find that the best bet is to bump your phone down to EDGE or whatever non-3g you can get. WAY less congestion and if you can live with the fact that you can't talk and surf at the same time (how do you Verizon people do it?!) then it's saved my battery, etc, for most of the duration.

• Options
    aneruokaneruok Registered User regular
    I dont remember if they have names on pax badges, but are badges transferable?

• Options
    aneruok wrote: »

No names on badges but if you bought a badge off of someone no guarantee it's real

• Options
    RavenHuskyRavenHusky Registered User regular
    edited August 2012
    aneruok wrote: »

As long as the badge is legit, then you can give it to someone else. Do you not have your pass or something? It's clear that there are no names on the badges.

RavenHusky on
    tw787Xr.png

• Options
    aneruokaneruok Registered User regular
    edited August 2012
    im in canada and someone cancelled on me. thx btw.

aneruok on
  • Options
    evanextremeevanextreme Registered User regular
    This question may have been asked already, if it has just link me to the answer, but when does the registration desk in the Hyatt open? I just arrived in Seattle today, and since I emailed PAX Support they told me to bring the email printout, confirmation, and ID there. Just wondering when I can walk over there with my stuff so I can get this whole badge situation sorted out.

New Yorker. @evanextreme on Twitter. I do a ton of things on the internet.
    I went to East 11, Prime 12, East 13, and will be attending East 15.
  • Options
    KillerMcDeadKillerMcDead Registered User regular

In my experience, you're going to want to get cash. American cash. Most vendors have debit machines, but for whatever reason my Canadian debit card never seemed to work in them. I wouldn't recommend carrying around too much of your cash either, for obvious reasons. It works in ATMs, I usually just bite the bullet and pay the charge for using the debit machine once or twice throughout the weekend.

My credit card worked at most of the vendors. If you've got one, its the easiest option by far.

• Options
    zerzhulzerzhul Registered User, Moderator mod
    This question may have been asked already, if it has just link me to the answer, but when does the registration desk in the Hyatt open? I just arrived in Seattle today, and since I emailed PAX Support they told me to bring the email printout, confirmation, and ID there. Just wondering when I can walk over there with my stuff so I can get this whole badge situation sorted out.
    Not till Thursday I believe. Not sure what time though.

• Options
    FenrisfangFenrisfang Edmonton, AB, CanadaRegistered User regular

I would recommend hitting a bank and doing the exchange before you go. I think our dollar is at PAR right no

PAX Tickets: check!
    Hotel Booked: check!
    Sitter for the kids: check!
    Excitement level rising: check, check and triple check!
  • Options
    SpawnOfCthulhuSpawnOfCthulhu Also that Snifit guy. Gig Harbor, WARegistered User regular
    So, I just recently read through the schedule, and saw that Hideo Kojima is doing a signing after his panel on Saturday.

However, the schedule only lists the times, not the location.
    Could any enforcers enlighten me as to the location of the signing?

I'm going to try and bonsai over there right after the panel, so if I know where it is, it'll save me from wandering :P

Wx8ay.png
  • Options
    PayneTraynePayneTrayne Canuck Registered User regular
    Random question that I'm asking here because I didn't want to disrupt other threads: How long does it take for the pubcrawls to fill up?

PAX East 2015:Get on Pokecrawl Team Yellow Silver [ ] Pass [X] Vacation Time [X] Hotel [X] Flights [ ] PAX East 2015 Complete [ X ] Sell Extra Set of Badges because Friend Bailed [ ]
  • Options
    MOSFETMOSFET Registered User regular
    Random question that I'm asking here because I didn't want to disrupt other threads: How long does it take for the pubcrawls to fill up?

Depends on the bar

• Options
    Kirby4LifeKirby4Life SumYungGuy In a cabin in the woodsRegistered User regular
    Is there like a floor plan or a directory of what the convetion center/hotels will look like?? Id like to map out a route if I could so that I can get to where I want fast so I dont miss out on stuff...

• Options
    zerzhulzerzhul Registered User, Moderator mod
    Kirby4Life wrote: »
    Is there like a floor plan or a directory of what the convetion center/hotels will look like?? Id like to map out a route if I could so that I can get to where I want fast so I dont miss out on stuff...

Yes, the map is available in the Guidebook Guide for PAX.

http://m.guidebook.com/guide/3672/maps/

This discussion has been closed.