As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/

RIP Neil Armstrong

• ZibblsnrtZibblsnrt Registered User regular
    SimBen wrote: »
    The only things that would qualify for beating walking on The Fucking Moon as an achievement would be walking on Mars, or eliminating one of the following: poverty, hunger, war or cancer.

That's pretty much the list, right there.

I'd say the fact that nobody's contracted or died from smallpox in my lifetime is a good co-contender, but which of the two wins is pretty much a coin flip for me at any given time.

Unambiguously topping either would take some doing, and I hope to see that happen.

• I Win SwordfightsI Win Swordfights all the traits of greatness starlight at my feetRegistered User regular
    that is because jellyfish are twats

widely known fact

lfYVHTd.png
  • DJ EebsDJ Eebs Moderator, Administrator admin
    the concept of infinity freaks me the FUCK out

• ThreeCubedThreeCubed Grandma Winky's fat ankles Registered User regular
    Druhim wrote: »
    Seriously. It's motherfucking space.

Well, to be fair as more and more people get into space, just getting there loses some of the magic. Like climbing Mt. Everest. Climbing Everest doesn't really seem all that magical nowadays. It's still cool, but you pretty much just need to be pretty fit and have the cash to throw down and they'll take you to the summit barring terrible weather.

I was just reading the other day this article about how many people still die sumitting Everest. (Warning: pictures of dead people)

EyQGd.jpg
  • WybornWyborn GET EQUIPPED Registered User regular
    This upsets me a lot more than I would have thought.

dN0T6ur.png
  • DarmakDarmak RAGE vympyvvhyc vyctyvyRegistered User regular
    man I don't want to go to space. I can barely deal with how big the ocean is

see i'm just the opposite

i love the idea of just infinite space

i want to experience even just that little part of it

be there, be in awe of it

just thinking about it makes my skin tingle

What's insane is that I would be all over the opportunity to go up there but at the same time I am completely terrified of outer space's infinite emptiness. Whenever I look at the moon and imagine the immense gulf between it and us or I close my eyes and try to imagine flying away from the Earth and just floating in space with nothing above, below, or around me I freak out and have a mini-panic attack.

Despite all that I'm still completely fascinated by space and will always yearn to go there.

JtgVX0H.png
  • dbrock270dbrock270 Registered User regular
    Looking at Nixon's speech, the instructions at the end always get me:
    PRIOR TO THE PRESIDENT'S STATEMENT: The president should telephone each of the widows-to-be.

"Widows-to-be," the astronauts would still be alive as Nixon would be making that speech, I can only imagine what it would be like, sitting alone on the barren wasteland of the moon, looking at your home planet as your oxygen depletes, with no hope of rescue.

Holy shit they were really brave.

• I Win SwordfightsI Win Swordfights all the traits of greatness starlight at my feetRegistered User regular
    honest to goodness think my comfort with infinity is from my psychedelic use

it puts your thought process on a cosmic scale, so it sits comfortably with me

lfYVHTd.png
  • Grey GhostGrey Ghost Registered User regular
    How would you like to be the surgeon that operated on Neil Armstrong and then he dies of complications

• ButtlordButtlord Fornicus Lord of Bondage and PainRegistered User regular
    Grey Ghost wrote: »
    How would you like to be the surgeon that operated on Neil Armstrong and then he dies of complications

people just throw things at you wherever you go

• -Tal-Tal Registered User regular
    what's the big deal about infinity

PNk1Ml4.png
  • DarmakDarmak RAGE vympyvvhyc vyctyvyRegistered User regular
    honest to goodness think my comfort with infinity is from my psychedelic use

it puts your thought process on a cosmic scale, so it sits comfortably with me

I always wondered what it would be like to play with something like SpaceEngine while using psychedelics. Or just using psychedelics period, really

JtgVX0H.png
  • Sweeney TomSweeney Tom Registered User regular

On one hand, I agree with you.

On the other hand, at some point I would go insane if it were just me there, and not even one other person to talk to.

• FirmSkaterFirmSkater Registered User regular
    Never had this happen before, but I legitimately welled up and almost cried when I read this story an hour or so ago.

It's weird because I have no real reason to cry about Neil Armstrong, I don't even know a lot about him. It's just that he represents something so much bigger... I don't know

Bleh - I wish I knew how to convey that emotion better

sig2.jpg
  • Grey GhostGrey Ghost Registered User regular
    edited August 2012
    I don't know what the line is we'd have to cross to become a two-planet species

I guess some sort of semi-permanent settlement on Mars would count

Either way, if it happens in my lifetime I am going to absolutely go bananas

Grey Ghost on
  • Sir PlatypusSir Platypus Registered User regular
    I usually don't get too upset about famous people dying, especially when they are at an older age.

But fucking Neil Armstrong, man.

• ZonugalZonugal (He/Him) The Holiday Armadillo I'm Santa's representative for all the southern states. And Mexico!Registered User regular

On one hand, I agree with you.

On the other hand, at some point I would go insane if it were just me there, and not even one other person to talk to.

moon_movie_poster.jpg

Ross-Geller-Prime-Sig-A.jpg
  • ZibblsnrtZibblsnrt Registered User regular
    MrDapper wrote: »

The ocean scares me much more then space. The ocean just terrifies me.

The ocean's small enough(!) to be accessible mentally; we're just not built to wrap our heads around things that can be measured in light-seconds or AUs.

(Also, we know for certain the ocean has carnivores much, much bigger than us. That probably doesn't help.)

• SimBenSimBen Hodor? Hodor Hodor.Registered User regular
    Whoa that poster does some weird shit when you scroll.

sig.gif
  • The Lovely BastardThe Lovely Bastard Registered User regular
    infinite space would bore me after like five minutes

just don't have that sense of awe, really

just oh you're big and empty

good for you

you're like a fat person without a soul

take that outer space

7656367.jpg
    even today some people find it difficult to believe going to the moon was possible in 1969

imagine when kids in moonschools in 2269 or whatever learn that Neil Armstrong, still a relevant name, did that shit 300 years in the past before people so much as invented Pong

PNk1Ml4.png

good for you

take that outer space

yep

I mean the ocean has a ton of awesome and weird stuff in it

space is mostly a whole lotta nothing

PNk1Ml4.png
    oceans are the worst body of water fact

lfYVHTd.png
    Zibblsnrt wrote: »

The ocean's small enough(!) to be accessible mentally; we're just not built to wrap our heads around things that can be measured in light-seconds or AUs.

(Also, we know for certain the ocean has carnivores much, much bigger than us. That probably doesn't help.)

Actually when you think about it, the ocean at its deepest gets deeper than, say, the United States are wide. That is terrifyingly deep.

Now cube that for three dimensions.

Trust me, there are very few people on Earth who truly grasp just how much ocean there is.

sig.gif

good for you

take that outer space

what if infinite space was full of naked ladies

Granted there's a lot more space than there is ocean

but there is ridiculously more ocean than we can even process. It dwarfs the amount of dry land we're used to dealing with.

sig.gif
  • Spectre-xSpectre-x Rating: AWESOME YESRegistered User regular

Actually when you think about it, the ocean at its deepest gets deeper than, say, the United States are wide. That is terrifyingly deep.

Trust me, there are very few people on Earth who truly grasp just how much ocean there is.

What?

No it doesn't. The ocean does not get as deep as the US is wide.

How can that possibly be true? The U.S. is like a two thousand miles across? Maybe I am misunderstanding you...

sig2.jpg
    edited August 2012
    Spectre-x wrote: »

What?

No it doesn't. The ocean does not get as deep as the US is wide.

EDIT: Oh shit that was a decimal point, not a comma. Nevermind.

SimBen on
    sig.gif
    Buttlord wrote: »

good for you

take that outer space

unless those ladies don't need oxygen to breathe, it'd be just like tunneling in the vegas desert

7656367.jpg
    In my defense: slightly inebriated over here.

sig.gif
    Buttlord wrote: »

good for you

take that outer space

unless those ladies don't need oxygen to breathe, it'd be just like tunneling in the vegas desert

well yeah they're space ladies DUH

I was going to say...

sig2.jpg
    i ain't makin' it with no space foreigners, buttles

7656367.jpg
  • TossrockTossrock too weird to live too rare to dieRegistered User regular
    Rest in peace, Neil. You were the best of us.

sig.png
  • TallahasseerielTallahasseeriel Registered User regular
    FirmSkater wrote: »

How can that possibly be true? The U.S. is like a two thousand miles across? Maybe I am misunderstanding you...

The Mariana Trench is like 2,550 KM deep bro.

• gtrmpgtrmp Registered User regular
    -Tal wrote: »
    what's the big deal about infinity
    it's the biggest deal

like, by definition

• Der Waffle MousDer Waffle Mous Blame this on the misfortune of your birth. New Yark, New Yark.Registered User regular
    Holy hell what the fuck is it with this week?

Steam PSN: DerWaffleMous Origin: DerWaffleMous Bnet: DerWaffle#1682
  • TallahasseerielTallahasseeriel Registered User regular
    edited August 2012
    EDIT: wait a second that was lenght.

Fuck I can't read either.

Tallahasseeriel on
  • HunteraHuntera Rude Boy Registered User regular
    Uriel wrote: »
    FirmSkater wrote: »

The Mariana Trench is like 2,550 KM deep bro.

That's how long it is, it's only like 6.7 miles deep or something.