As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/

[Prime] The Fifth Annual Triwizard Drinking Tournament [Full!]

• douglasbouttelldouglasbouttell Glasgow, UKRegistered User regular
    JoshEEE wrote: »
    Mogs wrote: »

How is cider the same as beer? o.O

They both taste like nasty, cheap fermented alcohol.

Ok you just opened a can of worms there for me. Yes Dry Apple Cider can taste strong and cheap. However different fruits yield different ciders. Ciders that I have liked are Pear, Berry, Strawberry and French Apple. I would advise going for the Irish ciders (Magners, Bulmers, etc) if you dont like the british Dry Ciders since Irish stuff is a little less tart, or you could go for the sweeter berry ciders or pear ones.

Douglas Bouttell: Geek, Engineer, Weirdo

PAX East 2013 Status
    Hotel: Waterfront Westin; Flight: Booked; Pass: Purchased; Suitcase: Packed

PAX Prime 2012 Status: Level Complete
    TWDT'12: Hufflepuff OotP
  • edgeofbladeedgeofblade Warlock Houston, TXRegistered User regular
    Anyone who says they don't like beer just has not found the right beer. I've converted many a beer hater with barley wine, usually to the tune of "THIS is BEER?!!!?!?!?!?"

6YJGH2V.png
  • zerzhulzerzhul Registered User, Moderator mod
    I am guessing the "House-A" and "House-B" means OotP and DE respectively? Dear Gods, I hope it does or else I did it totally wrong.

Yes

• Atlus ParkerAtlus Parker Registered User regular
    Better late than never. Gryffindor OotP now has a Facebook page: http://www.facebook.com/groups/256643621104710/

Any word on fun shit for Gryffindor? A Facebook group? Song? A week away and I feel like nothing cool is happening D:

We now have a Facebook group. Our song is (and probably always will be) Shots by LMFAO.

Because Shots!

• lizpiratelizpirate Portland, ORRegistered User regular
    Requested to join the FB group--woohoo!

• Little Miss RachelLittle Miss Rachel Geek Chick Before Geek Was Chic Idahoan ExileRegistered User regular
    Optimusbry wrote: »
    Fantastic! Will you be at the PPD before the Tournament starts? Might be a good time to meet up and try a swig. =)
    Sure will, just look out for the ginger in the suit with the ravenclaw tie

Sounds great, I'll keep my eye out! (P.S. if you keep an eye out for me, imagine the photo with red hair and about 30 lbs. more skeletal. I kinda need a new one. >.>)

• WestrunnerWestrunner Steam's Dirty Little Whore Mojave Desert, NVRegistered User regular

JoshEEE I highly recommend you explore beer a bit more. There's over 200 varieties of beer and they taste dramatically different from one another and can have completely different ingredients. That being said; I've never met anyone who hated anything from the Lindemann's Family of Lambics. Framboise is the most popular. The Lambics are brewed using fruit and are made from several hundred year old recipes derived by monks in the mountains of Belgium. They're amazing. They're also about as different from a Bud Light or a Guinness as the palate could consider.

TWDT12: Gryffindor - OotP TWDT14: Gryffindor - OotP
    Five days left!

If you check the OP any and all information you need for the evening should be posted including the bar routes and challenge info. If you have any questions on anything now is the time to ask.

As a reminder, you must have your confirmation bar code either printed out or available on your smart device for your Head to scan. If you do not have access to it or have any questions about your registration, PM me here or email me through Eventbrite. I will get back to you ASAP.

• InitialdorInitialdor Seattle's Carl Registered User regular
    edited August 2012
    TWDT Food Map

I've given the core of Capitol Hill my food map treatment. I don't know much of the Hill first-hand, but my roommate works up there, and every food spot on the map comes highly recommended. It's always better to eat before the festivities, but the bratwurst trucks and pizza-by-the-slice places make great drunk food! :D
    xFZrl.jpg
    -Legend:
    Green are the TWDT venues - The home bar of each house has a shaded label.
    Yellow are food spots.
    Red are points of interest.

-Food Notes (all hours are for Thursday night):
    *Left to right on Pine:
    Hot Mama's Pizza – Great by-the-slice pizza. (Open to 2am)
    Mia's Teriyaki – Great teriyaki; big portions. (Open to 7pm)
    Bill's – Bar with amazing pizza; slow restaraunt-style. (Open to 2am)
    Dick's Burgers – Seattle's legendary burger drive-in. (Open to 2am)
    Genki Sushi – Conveyer belt-style sushi joint. (Open to 3am)
    Rancho Bravo Tacos – Great mexican food. (Open to 12)
    *Left to right on Pike:
    HoneyHole Sandwiches – Expensive sandwiches; great but pricey. (Food til 12)
    Ayutthaya Thai – Restaraunt/Bar with take-out. (Open to 11pm)
    Kyoto Teriyaki – Great teriyaki and katsu. (Unknown hours; probably not open past 10pm)
    Subway - What would a PAX food map be without a Subway on it? (Open to 12)
    QFC – Large grocery store (24hrs; Deli open til 8pm)
    Hot Dog Trucks– Great drunk food; Bräts, Polish, and Spicy dogs. (Open to 3am usually)
    Big Mario's Pizza – Good by-the-slice pizza. (Open to 4am)
    (Sometimes there's a great Native American food truck parked between Mario's and Bimbos.)
    Bimbos Cantina – Great burritos. (Food til 12)

-Point of Interest Notes:
    Egyptian Theater – Their midnight movie for PAX weekend is Clerks.
    Neumo's – Machinima's Hawken party on Friday.

Other maps I've shared:
    Downtown Fast Food (info) | U-District Food and Video Game Stores (info)

Initialdor on
    2018 West: Badges [x] TWDT [Rclaw TT] Cosplay: Still bald. Still single. Still lovin' it!
    "Fantasy football still counts as fantasy." -DnD Greg
  • TheAggroCraigTheAggroCraig Ultimate Lucky Douchebag MassachusettsRegistered User regular
    I hate to go off topic, but we should totally get a group to go to Clerks on Saturday night (do they play the movie every night at midnight over the weekend?)

• giraffeoverlordgiraffeoverlord Registered User regular
    Westrunner wrote: »

JoshEEE I highly recommend you explore beer a bit more. There's over 200 varieties of beer and they taste dramatically different from one another and can have completely different ingredients. That being said; I've never met anyone who hated anything from the Lindemann's Family of Lambics. Framboise is the most popular. The Lambics are brewed using fruit and are made from several hundred year old recipes derived by monks in the mountains of Belgium. They're amazing. They're also about as different from a Bud Light or a Guinness as the palate could consider.

As a longtime friend of JoshEEE's, I can testify to the fact that he has tried a wide variety of beers and ciders, including Lindemann's, and after each one, proclaimed, "Tastes like beer." At this point, I've given up. If he doesn't want any of my tasty cider and/or beer, it just means more for me! ;)

Put a cup of booze-soaked gummy bears in front of him, though, and those will be gone in 2 seconds. :P

TWDT Ravenclaw Perfect Attendance!
    Ravenclaw Death Eaters Head Girl, 2011-12. CACAW!
  • CaptainTapoleCaptainTapole Awesome in the Possum - Yee-Haw! Northern CaliforniaRegistered User regular
    I will be PMing the House Elves (sans Ravenclaw DE) by tomorrow night (Sunday) at the latest to give the info and plan out a little tiny meeting beforehand. There is a reason to my madness, I swear!

Speaking of! A couple of more days in order to be a House Elf for Ravenclaw DE! Go talk to PunkJr about it! You will be rewarded*!
    Reward will be hanging out with them!

The Girl Who Gave Everyone the Shortest Jenga Game Ever.
  • KellyShepard087KellyShepard087 Myrtle Beach SCRegistered User regular
    Ok, after multiple trials and failures. I have decided to scrap a costume and just have street clothes

- Biting's excellent! It's like kissing. Only there's a winner.

Pax Attendee/Enforcer:
    Prime - '11 Attendee, '12 Enforcer, '13 Enforcer
    East - '12 Attendee, '15 Enforcer
  • UlduricUlduric Registered User regular
    I hate to go off topic, but we should totally get a group to go to Clerks on Saturday night (do they play the movie every night at midnight over the weekend?)

By "the movie" do you mean Kevin Smith's Clerks? Because I would totally be up for seeing that after the concerts.

• TOGSolidTOGSolid Drunk sailor Seattle, WashingtonRegistered User regular
    The house song for Slytherin DE remains the same!
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=bDbpzjbXUZI

wWuzwvJ.png
  • KellyShepard087KellyShepard087 Myrtle Beach SCRegistered User regular
    Sad to say but I ran out of time to find anything for a costume. So I'll just be my normal cool self

- Biting's excellent! It's like kissing. Only there's a winner.

Pax Attendee/Enforcer:
    Prime - '11 Attendee, '12 Enforcer, '13 Enforcer
    East - '12 Attendee, '15 Enforcer
  • PayneTraynePayneTrayne Canuck Registered User regular
    TOGSolid wrote: »
    The house song for Slytherin DE remains the same!
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=bDbpzjbXUZI
    Not sure if the choosing of a house song is a competition but if it is, you win. If it isn't, you still win.

PAX East 2015:Get on Pokecrawl Team Yellow Silver [ ] Pass [X] Vacation Time [X] Hotel [X] Flights [ ] PAX East 2015 Complete [ X ] Sell Extra Set of Badges because Friend Bailed [ ]
  • redhaloredhalo Also a Professional Alcoholic Registered User regular

As a longtime friend of JoshEEE's, I can testify to the fact that he has tried a wide variety of beers and ciders, including Lindemann's, and after each one, proclaimed, "Tastes like beer." At this point, I've given up. If he doesn't want any of my tasty cider and/or beer, it just means more for me! ;)

Put a cup of booze-soaked gummy bears in front of him, though, and those will be gone in 2 seconds. :P

Thing is, if your palette can't differentiate between these different beers, then I don't see how your palette can differentiate between any other foods and beverages. This is sad and makes me think it's some kind of traumatized mental issue, like watching your parents murdered in front of you or being the lone survivor of a plane crash.

• InitialdorInitialdor Seattle's Carl Registered User regular
    edited August 2012
    -House Time Table Maps-
    I realized it was easy to easy to move translucent time labels around, so I personalized the Capitol Hill map to both sides of each house... because I only trust Google Maps for the backdrop. (The actual walking routes are the prevue the House officials; the maps only have time labels at each venue.)

Gryffindor: Order | DE
    Slytherin: Order | DE
    Ravenclaw: Order | DE
    Hufflepuff: Order | DE

(TheAggroCraig: The Egyptian plays their midnight movie on Friday and Saturday night.)

Initialdor on
    2018 West: Badges [x] TWDT [Rclaw TT] Cosplay: Still bald. Still single. Still lovin' it!
    "Fantasy football still counts as fantasy." -DnD Greg
  • bubblegumnexbubblegumnex Registered User regular
    So for our Eventbright tickets.

Turns out Eventbright is not compatible with my phone. Though I'm trying to print the ticket off in the next few days, would it be kosher to be able to show the ticket from my phone via email?

<@zerzhul&gt; bubblegumnex: you were so very fucked up
    <@zerzhul&gt; you win at twdt
  • mikegonzalezmikegonzalez Registered User regular
    redhalo wrote: »
    Thing is, if your palette can't differentiate between these different beers, then I don't see how your palette can differentiate between any other foods and beverages. This is sad and makes me think it's some kind of traumatized mental issue, like watching your parents murdered in front of you or being the lone survivor of a plane crash.

Pretty sure that's Duffman's origin story.

"I'm a reasonable guy. But, I've just experienced some very unreasonable things."

XBL: ii Mike G ii - PSN: Greddy21 - Steam: notmikegonzalez - Slytherin - Death Eater
  • TheAggroCraigTheAggroCraig Ultimate Lucky Douchebag MassachusettsRegistered User regular

Pretty sure that's Duffman's origin story.

Which is totally unlike another fictional character's origin...

• WestrunnerWestrunner Steam's Dirty Little Whore Mojave Desert, NVRegistered User regular
    So did we ever get an answer to the original substitution question? I mean, me personally I think the American Macro-brews are the most disgusting things on the planet (Bud, Miller & Coors) but if that's what I have to drink, that's what I have to drink. As a Brave Gryffindor I fear no liquid. This is my first TWDT; how has it been in the past?

• adesteradester Registered User regular

Tell me you don't have something against a Guinness from tap? Just a reference?

• redhaloredhalo Also a Professional Alcoholic Registered User regular
    So did we ever get an answer to the original substitution question? I mean, me personally I think the American Macro-brews are the most disgusting things on the planet (Bud, Miller & Coors) but if that's what I have to drink, that's what I have to drink. As a Brave Gryffindor I fear no liquid. This is my first TWDT; how has it been in the past?

If it helps, Seattle bars serve several quality local microbrews. Substitution rulings come down to your respective HoH, but generally they are cool with it.

adester wrote: »
    Tell me you don't have something against a Guinness from tap? Just a reference?

Just a reference. Guinness is brilliant!

• SerenitySerenity Registered User regular
    So I just realized I only have 2 days left to put together my costume for this.
    What would count as a "full costume"? I don't think I have time to make myself a robe and don't really want to go out and buy one.
    Tie and shirt ok?

qxd8or7ouox3.png
  • whypick1whypick1 PAX [E] Info Booth Manager ~2' from an LCDRegistered User regular
    Tie and shirt has worked for me the past couple of years.

Is it PAX <insert nearest future PAX here> yet?
  • vgcvgc United StatesRegistered User regular
    I shall be going in a tie and shirt.

• BinkleyBinkley Registered User regular
    Just as update for Hufflepuff DE we have a legit facebook group now: https://www.facebook.com/groups/234528553253317/

A video blog about random jank:
    The KB Life
  • akjakakjak Thera Spooky GymRegistered User regular
    Anyone who says they don't like beer just has not found the right beer. I've converted many a beer hater with barley wine, usually to the tune of "THIS is BEER?!!!?!?!?!?"

I hate beer. Barley Wine tastes like beer. So, didn't work on me. I have sampled many many beers. If it's got hops, I hate it. If it's got barley, I hate it. Those things do not taste good fermented.

Switch: SW-4133-1546-2720 (Thera)
    Twitch: akThera
    Steam: Thera
  • PunkJrPunkJr Decepticon Infiltrator Seattle, WARegistered User regular
    I will be PMing the House Elves (sans Ravenclaw DE) by tomorrow night (Sunday) at the latest to give the info and plan out a little tiny meeting beforehand. There is a reason to my madness, I swear!

Speaking of! A couple of more days in order to be a House Elf for Ravenclaw DE! Go talk to PunkJr about it! You will be rewarded*!
    Reward will be hanging out with them!

I'm workin' on it... We've had a few people volunteer, then have something come up.

daaeZs9.png
    PunkJr
    Pirate, Stormtrooper, Decepticon
    Yes, my middle name really is MEGATRON
    Former Ravenclaw Death Eaters Head of House
  • namelessbanananamelessbanana Registered User regular
    Wildcard Challenge - Come dressed in proper school attire sporting the colors of Ravenclaw

What exactly constitutes "Proper School Attire"?

• zerzhulzerzhul Registered User, Moderator mod
    Wildcard Challenge - Come dressed in proper school attire sporting the colors of Ravenclaw

What exactly constitutes "Proper School Attire"?

It's at the discretion of your head of house. Generally school colors and something "wizardy" work. Like a shirt and wizard tie, or a scarf, maybe a wand or a robe.

• douglasbouttelldouglasbouttell Glasgow, UKRegistered User regular
    zerzhul wrote: »
    It's at the discretion of your head of house. Generally school colors and something "wizardy" work. Like a shirt and wizard tie, or a scarf, maybe a wand or a robe.

Luckily I have a spare graduation robe and some other stuff.

Douglas Bouttell: Geek, Engineer, Weirdo

PAX East 2013 Status
    Hotel: Waterfront Westin; Flight: Booked; Pass: Purchased; Suitcase: Packed

PAX Prime 2012 Status: Level Complete
    TWDT'12: Hufflepuff OotP
  • CronusCronus Registered User regular

Westrunner, If it helps, Seattle bars serve several quality local microbrews. Substitution rulings come down to your respective HoH, but generally they are cool with it.

People generally are very cool at this tournament including what to drink. Your partner will almost always work with you.

In the end there's too much beer this year, the mixed drink, shots, and liquor in general make for better tournaments. Fun will be had regardless.

camo_sig.png
    "Read twice, post once. It's almost like 'measure twice, cut once' only with reading." - MetaverseNomad
    Cronus wrote: »

Westrunner, If it helps, Seattle bars serve several quality local microbrews. Substitution rulings come down to your respective HoH, but generally they are cool with it.

People generally are very cool at this tournament including what to drink. Your partner will almost always work with you.

In the end there's too much beer this year, the mixed drink, shots, and liquor in general make for better tournaments. Fun will be had regardless.

All I know is that if my partner in the first round is a dick to me, I'm going to kick his ass so hard (via alcohol!) when we meet up again at the end of the night.

Cronus wrote: »

All I know is that if my partner in the first round is a dick to me, I'm going to kick his ass so hard (via alcohol!) when we meet up again at the end of the night.

That is actually the spirit.

• KryptaraKryptara Registered User regular
    I've been slow getting to the forums this year so I just now saw @AltDelete make the call for a "marvelous banner" for Ravenclaw. I still have the deep crow Ravenclaw banner from 2 years ago and would love to see it make an appearance this year if a Ravenclaw is willing and able to carry it around and help guide the house for the night. I have permission from the artist who drew the deep crow logo to sell the banner as well; so at the end of the night it can go in to the auction for Ravenclaw's fundraising. Ca-caw!

This discussion has been closed.