As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/

[Twilight Imperium] Game 5 - Round 8: Game Over!

• Void SlayerVoid Slayer Very Suspicious Registered User regular
    Always good to repay favors, even unasked ones.

I'll hold off on any concrete agreements in case someone is into bri-err, whats that blasted solid word, trading with everyone for our vote.

But barring any payout of massive material wealth I will be voting that way.

He's a shy overambitious dog-catcher on the wrong side of the law. She's an orphaned psychic mercenary with the power to bend men's minds. They fight crime!
  • stever777stever777 AFK most Saturdays Registered User regular
    Naalu vote against the Agenda.

Hosting Android: Netrunner - Thread 2: The Revenge

The Black Hole of Cygnus X-1
  • MrBlarneyMrBlarney Registered User regular
    stever777, since this is an Elect Player agenda, there is no "for" or "against". You can choose a player to vote for, or you can opt to abstain.

4463rwiq7r47.png
    Umm, yes, umm...
    The Naalu shall wait for discussions to open up a bit, then, but have nothing they would like to offer in return for votes.

• MrBodyMrBody Registered User regular
    Hey now, do we look like a threat? Look at all the cruddy neighboring planets we get. The worst map position!

I can absolutely guarantee we'll never ever accomplish the starting secret objective we were dealt, so worst case if we win we'll have one realistic one like everyone else.

• GrimmyTOAGrimmyTOA Registered User regular
    As a gesture of neighborly goodwill, the Universities of Jol-Nar officially cast our vote for our friends the Yin in their quest for election.

Hooray!

I think that's a lock then. Even if everyone else voted for the same player it'd be 5-4.

MrBody wrote: »
    Hey now, do we look like a threat? Look at all the cruddy neighboring planets we get. The worst map position!

I can absolutely guarantee we'll never ever accomplish the starting secret objective we were dealt, so worst case if we win we'll have one realistic one like everyone else.

Umm, nope.
    I believe I have the worst position.
    At least you have neighboring planets.

edited August 2012
    stever777 wrote: »

Umm, nope.
    I believe I have the worst position.
    At least you have neighboring planets.

Bereg/Litra is the single best system in the game! Better than Mecatol! Check out how many systems we would have to take and hold to equal the output you're getting from just that one system.

In terms of starting adjacent systems output, we definetly have the worst.

Plus I'd like to point out that our wife and kids are DEAD. Anyone not giving us the sympathy vote is a jerkface.

MrBody on
    Hooray!

I think that's a lock then. Even if everyone else voted for the same player it'd be 5-4.

Indeed. If it is alright with all the players, in cases like this where voting is locked early, shall we close the action on the Political Card by considering all non-voting players to have abstained? In this case, I think I may also go back to setting things so that for voting, players must vote in order. Thoughts?

4463rwiq7r47.png
    edited August 2012
    I could see in future votes that you could influencec people with trade goods bribes. In this case though, Jol-Nar is the only one with trade goods right now. Unless somehow another player thinks they can trade future promises for all five non-Yin votes?

I could see it really bogging down though if we do it in order and every player stops to wait for offers when it comes to them.

MrBody on
    I am cool with just calling this vote for now since it is so one sided and both me and Jol-Nar seem to be voting for the Yin anyway but would appreciate if we stuck with the rotation for future votes.

He's a shy overambitious dog-catcher on the wrong side of the law. She's an orphaned psychic mercenary with the power to bend men's minds. They fight crime!
    Sorry for jumping the gun, all. If I blame jet lag, well you forgive me?

Huh? There isn't anything to apologize for since you were in the correct order to be voting after Yin.

4463rwiq7r47.png
  • SeGaTaiSeGaTai Registered User regular
    on with the secondary?

PSN SeGaTai
  • KilnagaKilnaga Registered User regular
    MrBlarney wrote: »
    Huh? There isn't anything to apologize for since you were in the correct order to be voting after Yin.

Well then, he apologizes for not realizing that? :P

"The psychedelic mind is a higher dimensional mind, it is not fit for three dimensional space time."
    - Terence McKenna
    edited August 2012
    SeGaTai wrote: »
    on with the secondary?

I suppose. For now, then, we'll keep things loose for now by closing a political vote as soon as a majority is reached, with all unaccounted players recorded as undeclared, and allow people to vote out of order unless otherwise requested. Let me know if there's any problems with this approach.

Yin wins the agenda at 5 votes (4 undeclared) and will receive a second Secret Objective card.

Assembly Secondary
    Universities of Jol-Nar: PASS
    The Naalu Collective: PLAY (SA 2 --> 1), refreshing Druaa and Maaluuk.
    The L1z1x Mindnet: PASS
    The Ghosts of Creuss: PASS
    The Embers of Muaat: PLAY (SA 1 --> 0), refreshing Muaat.

MrBlarney on
    4463rwiq7r47.png
    Bleh. If it helps, I doubt we'll be fulfilling the new secret objective either.

Kilnaga wrote: »

Well then, he apologizes for not realizing that? :P

Sorry. I'm Canadian. Stimulus: response.

edited August 2012
    Obviously, I voted out of order but, if I may, I have a different point about closing the vote early.
    Forcing all empires to vote, no matter if the outcome is no longer in doubt, I believe, is the way to go.
    It can show where players alliances & interests may be leaning.
    It can piss off an ally, even if the vote means nothing.
    "Why didn't you vote for me?!!"
    I like it.

E - I mean, if everyone wants to do it that way.
    We could vote on it!;)

stever777 on

How about voting in order, with each player stating a bribe condition that would make them change their vote? Assume they vote the way they did unless someone meets their bribe condition, then they would switch votes.

Seems like the best compromise between diplomacy dealing and game flow.

Once a vote has been locked, further votes are cheap since they don't have impact. You can say whatever you'd like and vote whatever way you want, and it doesn't matter, as far as the game goes. Certainly, actions and words can matter when it comes to diplomatic relations, but you can do all that without the vote. I'm not sure if there's much "money where your mouth is" for activities that have no clout, so I don't really have much reason to assume people coming after a locked vote won't simply Abstain, since that is always an option. I can be swayed if there are strong opinions, however. Locking turn order for votes, I'll be much more open on, since that can be important - which is why it's currently an "on request" option.

But the current vote has been declared, and the Primary Ability settled. I'll need teams to be making their PASS or PLAY declarations on the Secondary Ability at this time...

4463rwiq7r47.png
    edited August 2012
    Muaat

I PLAY the secondary ability, spending a Strategy Allocation Counter to refresh Muaat(4R,1I).

TG/AC/PC: 0/0/0
    SA/FS/CP: 0/3/2

Void Slayer on
    Once a vote has been locked, further votes are cheap since they don't have impact.

No prob, I drop my request.
    It would drag out the game anyway. :bz

• calibercaliber Registered User regular
    edited August 2012
  • SeGaTaiSeGaTai Registered User regular
    Creuss passes

PSN SeGaTai
  • KilnagaKilnaga Registered User regular
    L1z1x passes on the Assembly secondary.

"The psychedelic mind is a higher dimensional mind, it is not fit for three dimensional space time."
    - Terence McKenna
    Naalu

I PLAY the secondary ability, spending a Strategy Allocation Counter to refresh Druaa, Maaluuk & Lirta IV.

TG/AC/PC: 0/0/1
    SA/FS/CP: 1/3/2

I'm sorry, but the total resource and influence of the planets you wish to refresh is 11. (4 from Druaa, 2 from Maaluk, 5 from Lirta IV). Try again?

4463rwiq7r47.png
    edited August 2012
    Druaa & Maaluuk, then.

stever777 on

Alright, @Kilnaga and @Iron Weasel are up for the L1z1x turn.

4463rwiq7r47.png
  • calibercaliber Registered User regular
    As a heads up, Hurricane Isaac is due in my neck of the woods in a day or two which may mean I'll be without power/internet for some interminable amount of time.

Just double checking, but giving the speaker token to Muaat means we (Yin) will get to pick second next turn?

• Iron WeaselIron Weasel Dillon! You son of a bitch!Registered User regular
    That's correct, @MrBody. The Speaker picks their Strategy first, and then play proceeds clockwise.

Currently Playing:
    The Division, Warframe (XB1)
    GT: Tanith 6227
    edited August 2012
    "Sir, our nav buoys in sector 11-A, 12-A and 13-B have all just gone down."
    -"Send in a picket ship to check it out."
    "Sir? I ... can't seem to raise anyone."
    -"Are you sure? Try the emergency channel."
    "It's no use, sir. Our entire network has been compromised."
    -"A communications blackout can mean only one thing: invasion."

Activate Vega System. Move in 2 dreadnoughts and 1 carrier from 0.0.0, transporting 3 Ground Forces, 3 Fighters, 1 PDS and a partridge in a pear tree.
    Land 1 GF on Vega Minor. Land 2 GFs and the PDS on Vega Major.

Once local populace has been pacified, begin Assimilation of survivors.

TG/AC/PC: 0/0/1
    SA/FS/CP: 3/3/1

Iron Weasel on
    Currently Playing:
    Don't PDS take up a space on carriers?

Just double checking, but giving the speaker token to Muaat means we (Yin) will get to pick second next turn?
    Correct.
    Don't PDS take up a space on carriers?
    Also correct, but the L1z1x have Stasis Capsules, meaning that a couple of the Ground Forces have been transported by the Dreadnoughts and the remaining five units were carried by the Carrier (with room for that bird and fruit plant).

@caliber and @GrimmyTOA are up for the Jol-Nar turn.

4463rwiq7r47.png
    Sorry, I should have been more clear about what was being transported how.

Currently Playing:
    A quick note to the Naalu: The Universities of Jol-Nar regard the Arinam/Meer system as our natural territory. We can't accept a potentially hostile force occupying the system directly beside our homeworld. I'm sure that you see how it is. While we acknowledge that there's a slightly inconvenient gap you'd have to cross, there are plenty of viable systems to your galactic South. We'd suggest in the strongest terms that you consider expansion in that direction. Should you do so, we see no need for any sort of hostilities to develop between our peoples, and would of course respect your possession of Bereg/Lirta.

Thanks a bundle!

--- Standards and Practices subcommittee, Faculty of Diplomacy, Universities of Jol and/or Nar.

@Stever777

edited August 2012
    The Naalu are shocked, shocked, that you have been reading our communiques would think we were looking to create that atmosphere of aggression between our two great peoples.
    We can assure you that we now have no such thing in mind and look forward to our ever-expanding influence mutually beneficial relationship.

E - Hiss

stever777 on