As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

PAX PRIME 2012 Information and FAQ (READ THIS FIRST, THEN ASK ALL QUESTIONS HERE)

• Options
    MarinoMarino Giant Bomb Moderator / League of Heels Webmaster Macon, GARegistered User regular
    Anyone know where bag/coat check will be this year? While this is my 8th PAX, this'll be the first time I need to use it.

• Options
    CaptainTapoleCaptainTapole Awesome in the Possum - Yee-Haw! Northern CaliforniaRegistered User regular
    As far as I know, there is no bag/coat/goat check. If you do BYOC, your items will be secured there. Or your room. If you are checking out on Sunday but still want to roam the convention, you could ask your hotel's bell service to hold your luggage until you get back.

The Girl Who Gave Everyone the Shortest Jenga Game Ever.
  • Options
    MarinoMarino Giant Bomb Moderator / League of Heels Webmaster Macon, GARegistered User regular
    As far as I know, there is no bag/coat/goat check. If you do BYOC, your items will be secured there. Or your room. If you are checking out on Sunday but still want to roam the convention, you could ask your hotel's bell service to hold your luggage until you get back.

It says there will be one on the FAQ.
    http://prime.paxsite.com/faq#is-there-somewhere-for-me-to-drop-my-coat-bag-off

• Options
    CaptainTapoleCaptainTapole Awesome in the Possum - Yee-Haw! Northern CaliforniaRegistered User regular
    edited August 2012
    Well, that is most certainly new. Good to know, though.

Or maybe it isn't and I have been that oblivious.

CaptainTapole on
    The Girl Who Gave Everyone the Shortest Jenga Game Ever.
  • Options
    BekerBeker Child's Play Program Director SeattleRegistered User, Penny Arcade Staff regular
    So, I just recently read through the schedule, and saw that Hideo Kojima is doing a signing after his panel on Saturday.
    However, the schedule only lists the times, not the location.
    Could any enforcers enlighten me as to the location of the signing?

Signings are usually either in bandland or queue room. I'd plan for that, but check the schedule or twitters for updates

-Beker/Erick
    zx6ak2M.png
  • Options
    sanovahsanovah Nerd of the West San Diego, CaliforniaRegistered User regular
    Question for anyone that flies a bunch. What has your experience been with taking normal sized toothpaste, shampoo, shaving cream, and razors in your checked luggage? I planned on buying and bringing that stuff up with me on the plane. I know they changed the rules for carryo9ns but wasn't sure about checked luggage

• Options
    DeliveratorDeliverator Registered User regular
    So I checked the guidebook, and it says the tabletop tourneys are in the Red Lion. It also says something about registration in the Hyatt. Does this mean the registration for the tournaments is in the Hyatt, or is that registration for something else?

• Options
    So I checked the guidebook, and it says the tabletop tourneys are in the Red Lion. It also says something about registration in the Hyatt. Does this mean the registration for the tournaments is in the Hyatt, or is that registration for something else?

"Registration" refers to PAX registration, which is where people can pick up their badges if they didn't have them sent to them.

• Options
    TheAggroCraigTheAggroCraig Ultimate Lucky Douchebag MassachusettsRegistered User regular
    sanovah wrote: »
    Question for anyone that flies a bunch. What has your experience been with taking normal sized toothpaste, shampoo, shaving cream, and razors in your checked luggage? I planned on buying and bringing that stuff up with me on the plane. I know they changed the rules for carryo9ns but wasn't sure about checked luggage

IIRC checked luggage doesn't matter much, it's only the carry-on stuff that you can only have that stuff in a small clear bag.

• Options
    JohnnyWasabiJohnnyWasabi Technical Director, inXile entertainment Tustin, CARegistered User regular
    How does the tabletop lending library work for the free play area? I want to provide games for people to borrow and play in the free play area. Is it secure? Do they have to leave their ID or something? Can I drop them off at the start of the expo and have a reasonable expectation of collecting them back at the end?

• Options
    sanovahsanovah Nerd of the West San Diego, CaliforniaRegistered User regular

IIRC checked luggage doesn't matter much, it's only the carry-on stuff that you can only have that stuff in a small clear bag.
    Cool thanks. Got a new question for some pax pros then. how much swag and souveniers do you guys normally come home with? I'm packing and unless I find I way to make my cloths smaller or borrow a bigger bag i'm not gonna have any room for stuff besides my backpack/ carry on I know pax isn't all about swag and stuff to buy, but it's still a convention so I know I'll end up coming home with stuff

• Options

Cool thanks. Got a new question for some pax pros then. how much swag and souveniers do you guys normally come home with? I'm packing and unless I find I way to make my cloths smaller or borrow a bigger bag i'm not gonna have any room for stuff besides my backpack/ carry on I know pax isn't all about swag and stuff to buy, but it's still a convention so I know I'll end up coming home with stuff

It's really at your discretion. If you know you don't have space, don't take the giant foam hat swag or the ridiculous cardboard kite shield. And don't buy an arcade stick from Capcom or a 'Splosion Man statue from Twisted Pixel.

If any of that stuff sounds like stuff you may want to keep/buy, then you should get a bigger bag. Or...pro tip...pack an empty duffel bag in your first bag and only pay the check bag fee once on the way back.

• Options
    edgeofbladeedgeofblade Warlock Houston, TXRegistered User regular

I prefer to load up on hospital gowns and disposable absorbent adult undergarments. That way, I can throw away my clothes and make room for more swag. And it also helps me cut down on bathroom breaks between back to back panels...

6YJGH2V.png
  • Options
    RayzillaRayzilla Registered User new member
    edited August 2012
    I am unable to make it to PAX this year but I would love to catch some of the panels. Will there be streaming of the big panels? I am interested in Wil Wheatons Awesome Hour and all of the Omeganaut rounds(gotta cheer for my son!) I was also wondering if maybe the concerts will be streamed. Thanks for the help.

Rayzilla on
    Life is what happens when you are busy doing other things.-J. Lennon
  • Options
    TheAggroCraigTheAggroCraig Ultimate Lucky Douchebag MassachusettsRegistered User regular
    www.paxsite.com will be streaming some panels, I believe only certain theaters will have cameras there for streaming.

• Options
    zerzhulzerzhul Registered User, Moderator mod
    How does the tabletop lending library work for the free play area? I want to provide games for people to borrow and play in the free play area. Is it secure? Do they have to leave their ID or something? Can I drop them off at the start of the expo and have a reasonable expectation of collecting them back at the end?
    You actually can't just drop games off at the lending library. The lending library is managed by the Tabletop Freeplay Enforcer team. I'm pretty sure to provide them with games, you would have had to be in contact with them earlier than now.

As far as how the TT Library works, you drop off ID in order to borrow a game.

• Options
    Kirby4LifeKirby4Life SumYungGuy In a cabin in the woodsRegistered User regular
    So do I have to visit the registration booth first to sign in or somthing?? Or can we run around once the doors open aslong as I have my badge?? Im asking cuz there seems to be no badge number or a barcode or anything on them.... On a side note where are the giftbags located??

• Options
    Kirby4Life wrote: »
    So do I have to visit the registration booth first to sign in or somthing?? Or can we run around once the doors open aslong as I have my badge?? Im asking cuz there seems to be no badge number or a barcode or anything on them.... On a side note where are the giftbags located??

You would only need to go to registration if you do not have your PAX badge. There are no badge numbers or barcodes. The gift bags are in the queue room, at 11:30am.

• Options
    Kirby4LifeKirby4Life SumYungGuy In a cabin in the woodsRegistered User regular
    zerzhul wrote: »

You would only need to go to registration if you do not have your PAX badge. There are no badge numbers or barcodes. The gift bags are in the queue room, at 11:30am.

Thanks for the quick reply!! I just have one last question. How early do the lineups usualy start??

• Options

Thanks for the quick reply!! I just have one last question. How early do the lineups usualy start??

8am-ish. Also, please read some of the threads on the first page, you'll find a lot of answers to your questions there (especially this thread and the First Timer thread).

• Options
    dragon keeper xdragon keeper x Registered User regular
    So i gegistered for my hotel at the sheraton when i bought my pax ticket months back. i recicved two IDENTICAL e-mails with the conformation and price rundown of my hotel i booked. should i be worried that they may have double charged my and rserved 2 rooms by mistake?

Max sig size: 500x80px <3 Moe
    sig_dragonx.jpg
  • Options
    evanextremeevanextreme Registered User regular
    This question may have been asked already, if it has just link me to the answer, but when does the registration desk in the Hyatt open? I just arrived in Seattle today, and since I emailed PAX Support they told me to bring the email printout, confirmation, and ID there. Just wondering when I can walk over there with my stuff so I can get this whole badge situation sorted out.
    Not till Thursday I believe. Not sure what time though.

Thanks for the reply! I was just in the Hyatt to check with the front desk, and they said it would start on Thursday at 7AM.

New Yorker. @evanextreme on Twitter. I do a ton of things on the internet.
    I went to East 11, Prime 12, East 13, and will be attending East 15.
  • Options
    So i gegistered for my hotel at the sheraton when i bought my pax ticket months back. i recicved two IDENTICAL e-mails with the conformation and price rundown of my hotel i booked. should i be worried that they may have double charged my and rserved 2 rooms by mistake?

You can always call them and find out.

• Options
    SenicsSenics Registered User regular

Thanks for the reply! I was just in the Hyatt to check with the front desk, and they said it would start on Thursday at 7AM.

I was going to ask that because I'm planning my day in Seattle.

Just curious as it's less than a week away, does anybody in Seattle know if they're already setting up shop in the WSCC? Also curious if the street light banners are there.

• Options
    alegriaalegria Registered User regular
    Senics wrote: »
    Just curious as it's less than a week away, does anybody in Seattle know if they're already setting up shop in the WSCC? Also curious if the street light banners are there.

Move-in usually starts on Wednesday, although for all I know it'll be earlier this year due to the LOL tournament starting on Thursday. The street banners usually go up on Monday, I'll try to check when I go home from work tomorrow since I can go by the WSCC if I choose.

Rw4xnu6.png
    PAX Prime Attendee since 2006, BYOC Attendee 2008-2012, Buttoneer 2010-2014
    https://www.pinnypals.com/pals/alegria
  • Options
    MOSFETMOSFET Registered User regular
    Banners have been up for a few weeks now actually

• Options
    DiorinixDiorinix Registered User regular
    I understand that WotC is holding the Magic Player's Championship at PAX. Unrelated, I have a friend who is attending this year.

Is wotc or the tournament organizer bringing in any artists for signings and/or alters for the event? If there's a link or somewhere I could look to find out who's coming (if any), it would be much appreciated. I'd like to send some of my cards to get signed if there's artists who did versions of cards I like. My friend departs Tuesday, so I apologize for the relatively late question.

[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
    Mmmmm....toasty.
  • Options
    PikaPuffPikaPuff Registered User regular
    http://wizards.com/Magic/Magazine/Article.aspx?x=mtg/daily/arcana/1034

there's a few. dunno how you can get signatures. I'm new and only into standard so I'll bring a negate and viridian corrupter to try and get signed

jCyyTSo.png
  • Options
    DiorinixDiorinix Registered User regular
    Thanks, Pika, but it doesn't specify if they'd have artists at the magic booth or not. Just checking to see if some pax folks had insight.

[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
    Mmmmm....toasty.
  • Options
    PikaPuffPikaPuff Registered User regular
    True, I get your point. It does mention Matt Cavotta and Jeremy Jarvis for the panels, though.

jCyyTSo.png
  • Options
    alegriaalegria Registered User regular
    MOSFET wrote: »
    Banners have been up for a few weeks now actually

Awesome! I know I've seen them go up on the Monday prior to PAX at least once before. Maybe it has to do with whatever else is scheduled at the WSCC prior to PAX. :)

Rw4xnu6.png
    PAX Prime Attendee since 2006, BYOC Attendee 2008-2012, Buttoneer 2010-2014
    https://www.pinnypals.com/pals/alegria
  • Options
    jaberwockynmtjaberwockynmt PAX Info Booth Manager Renton, WARegistered User regular
    Senics wrote: »

I was going to ask that because I'm planning my day in Seattle.
    That is when the Registration team gets the room. I'm sure the public will not be allowed in that early. I don't know what time Thursday Registration will actually start. Definitely not before 8am. I'll try to find out the actual time and post again.

--Jarrod "Jaberwocky" Lombardo, PAX Enforcer: Info Booth Manager.
    "We know that the moment we slip, it will be taken away... and so it is of the utmost importance to be worthy of it constantly."
    PAX will always be held on the best weekend for PAX. Sometimes that will be a bad weekend for you; I'm sorry.
  • Options
    helen0rzhelen0rz Registered User regular
    I have a question about being in line.

I think I read somewhere that for panels in the WSCC, they have you wait in the queue room. So what about panels that are in Sheratons and whatnot? Will the enforcers allow you to wait in line during a panel (the one before the one you want to attend)? Or is there a designated area for that as well?

48vla9t2j9ff.png
  • Options
    FenrisfangFenrisfang Edmonton, AB, CanadaRegistered User regular

As a travel agent, I can tell you that checked luggage is fine. They only check the size of the items at security usually after you have all ready checked your luggage though, so make sure it is actually packed as there is no going back if it's in your carry on by mistake. (Yes, I have had clients complain that they had stuff thrown away which is why I am saying it.)

PAX Tickets: check!
    Hotel Booked: check!
    Sitter for the kids: check!
    Excitement level rising: check, check and triple check!
  • Options
    FenrisfangFenrisfang Edmonton, AB, CanadaRegistered User regular

Hotel information went over on the 22nd I think. I would call them to confirm. Will give you peace of mind if you are anything like me.

PAX Tickets: check!
    Hotel Booked: check!
    Sitter for the kids: check!
    Excitement level rising: check, check and triple check!
  • Options
    helen0rzhelen0rz Registered User regular
    Fenrisfang wrote: »

As a travel agent, I can tell you that checked luggage is fine. They only check the size of the items at security usually after you have all ready checked your luggage though, so make sure it is actually packed as there is no going back if it's in your carry on by mistake. (Yes, I have had clients complain that they had stuff thrown away which is why I am saying it.)

question: I'm doing carry on, would they allow razors? Also I have this face wash that's not within the 3oz requirement (more like 5oz I think) but 2/3 of it is already gone/used, are they going to chunk it at security check?

48vla9t2j9ff.png
  • Options
    BekerBeker Child's Play Program Director SeattleRegistered User, Penny Arcade Staff regular
    helen0rz wrote: »
    I have a question about being in line.

I think I read somewhere that for panels in the WSCC, they have you wait in the queue room. So what about panels that are in Sheratons and whatnot? Will the enforcers allow you to wait in line during a panel (the one before the one you want to attend)? Or is there a designated area for that as well?

The Queue room is only for the line to Expo in the morning. Its not used for any of the theater lines. In general those lines are formed right out side the respective theater's. If the line is not obvious, you can ask the enforcers at the door to the theater you want and they will direct you to the line area.

They also only do one line at a time, meaning you can line up for the next panel, but not the one after that.

-Beker/Erick
    zx6ak2M.png
  • Options
    kemikalkemikal Registered User regular
    question: I'm doing carry on, would they allow razors? Also I have this face wash that's not within the 3oz requirement (more like 5oz I think) but 2/3 of it is already gone/used, are they going to chunk it at security check?

I'm not sure about the razors, but my mom had to throw away her 6oz container of lotion that was only maybe 1/4 or 1/5 full. Something about the size of the container being all that matters, and not how much was inside.

Assassin's Ball, Prime '13: @CowboyVerse
    TWDT '13: Hufflepuff OotP
  • Options
    riskmanriskman Registered User new member
    I have badges for Sunday only that I need to pick up at the Hyatt. Does anyone know how early I can pick up the badges on Sunday morning? Thanks!

• Options
    tsrblketsrblke Registered User regular
    kemikal wrote: »

I'm not sure about the razors, but my mom had to throw away her 6oz container of lotion that was only maybe 1/4 or 1/5 full. Something about the size of the container being all that matters, and not how much was inside.

Disposable Razors (i.e. Bics, Gillette, etc.) are supposed to be ok to take through, but you know how inconsistent the TSA is so YMMV depending on what agent you get. (Source on the allowance: http://www.tsa.gov/travelers/airtravel/prohibited/permitted-prohibited-items.shtm#4)

You're hosed on the lotion, you may want to run to target and get a 3 oz travel containor to put it in (they sell those now for shampoo and the like.)

This discussion has been closed.