As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

Screenshots 9: Needs More Spiky Bits

• Options
    Kevin CristKevin Crist I make the devil hit his knees and say the 'our father'Registered User regular
    Finally found the hat I wanted for my Priest for cheap (50g, usually 200-300g on the AH)

Qs25y.jpg

See if I can get a loot reaver pug together to get the golden wing shoulders.

acpRlGW.jpg
    Steam: YOU FACE JARAXXUS| Twitch.tv: CainLoveless
  • Options
    naengwennaengwen Registered User regular
    Hey look, it's I forgot to hit the special key to turn off the interface time!

WALwt.jpg

"Hello, little interface box. What's a Hero panel?"

To my credit, I did start playing like 5 minutes before the stress test ended. Two minutes after taking that shot, I found out my graphics settings got reset, too. Hooray defaults!

• Options
    CadeCade Eppur si muove.Registered User regular
    DDO looks pretty good for it's age.

Every time I see a WoW screen shot all I can think of how out dated it does look.

• Options
    GlalGlal AiredaleRegistered User regular
    Lack of composition is partially to blame. WoW can look really nice if you put in the effort to find a nice background and pose and so on, but when you're just taking a snap from the char select... eh.

• Options
    NeliNeli Registered User regular
    edited August 2012
    It usually looks better in motion as well. They got some pretty great animation and effects still

Neli on
    vhgb4m.jpg
    I have stared into Satan's asshole, and it fucking winked at me.
    [/size]
  • Options
    StericaSterica Yes Registered User, Moderator mod
    Also, the majority of pictures feature five-to-seven-year-old player models. Everything except goblins, worgen, and panderan look pretty bad.

YL9WnCY.png
  • Options
    SmrtnikSmrtnik job boli zub Registered User regular
    My gnome is made from some 8 polygons and some chewing gum.

steam_sig.png
  • Options
    BigbootsBigboots Registered User regular
    Man, I have at least two mog sets for each of my 85s, but I've been to lazy to upload them all...

• Options
    AldoAldo Hippo Hooray Registered User regular
    So in an effort to do Vanguard's graphics justice (on request of @Glal) I edited the game's fog settings and went to an open area in one of the original starter areas. I must say there was more interesting stuff to gawk at this time around and it also made it clear to me why I think the graphics of this game are disappointing.

First off: player animations are just stiff, I would have been more forgiving to the graphics if there was some fluidity to it, but there isn't.

But to limit this to still images, let's start with the first vista you are treated with:

5HhG4.jpg

ONLHG.jpg

There's also some gorgeous skies:
    CyqMH.jpg

GrvJR.jpg

There is also a lot of detail going into some props:
    L8mzH.jpg

lI7Hf.jpg

But that's why I am bothered by the graphics, there's so much detail in *some* objects and there's this huge draw distance, but most of the things contain of clunky textures stretched out over surfaces with no lighting to mask anything
    oxPdn.jpg

and characters suffer from this as well.
    1ywjr.jpg

The sad thing is that there are some spots where they get it right and you just want to explore ahead. Like this long corridor:
    JSx7M.jpg

But if so much of the game looks ugly and out-dated, it's not enough to do right in some spots. If they had bothered to make all objects and textures as detailed as the little pillows and bothered to put some lights in more places they'd have gotten away with most of this stuff. As it is it looks like a typical SOE game: all over the place and with no sense of style behind it.

I have the same problem with LOTRO, by the by: no matter how pretty your ponds are, you lose too many points by make characters clunky and stiff and not making other places as gorgeous as those ponds.

• Options
    mere_immortalmere_immortal So tasty!Registered User regular
    Cade wrote: »
    DDO looks pretty good for it's age.

Every time I see a WoW screen shot all I can think of how out dated it does look.

I always thought Orcs Must Die is what WoW would kind of look like if they rejigged it's graphics.

Steam: mere_immortal - PSN: mere_immortal - XBL: lego pencil - Wii U: mimmortal - 3DS: 1521-7234-1642 - Bordgamegeek: mere_immortal
  • Options
    Vanguard is a nice lesson in how far style can take a game. Shit looks ugly even compared to WoW.

YL9WnCY.png
  • Options
    GlalGlal AiredaleRegistered User regular
    It has its ups and downs. You can tell the game's team was forced to change a lot, as quality varies from area to area. Generally, a lot of the architecture is meh (similar problem to EQ2), but for the most part I like the actual world; having both a huge world and being able to force the engine to extend the draw distance can make it feel huge, too. I think pushing the fog as far back in WoW as you can in VG would more or less let you see the entire Barrens if you sat at the ex Crossroads.

vg_01.jpg
    vg_02.jpg
    vg_03.jpg
    vg_04.jpg
    vg_05.jpg

• Options
    reVersereVerse Attack and Dethrone God Registered User regular
    That is the creepiest fucking horse.

• Options
    EchoEcho ski-bap ba-dapModerator mod
    it knows your secrets

• Options
    Just_Bri_ThanksJust_Bri_Thanks Seething with rage from a handbasket.Registered User, ClubPA regular
    wowscrnshot082012215351.jpg

Don't remember how to set it to take bigger screens.

...and when you are done with that; take a folding
    chair to Creation and then suplex the Void.
  • Options
    Screens from what is probably the final stress test before launch.

I shoot stuff at things.
    Wjx9q.jpg

This shark spawned after we did an event. It ate a lot of Asuras, but not enough.
    xSEro.jpg

Sharp, pointy teeth.
    YyMQk.jpg

I managed to get to the top of one vista in the WvW map. Didn't have a much a view since it was in the back, but pretty up there.
    5FvtM.jpg

Goodbye until launch!
    Edhi5.jpg

YL9WnCY.png
  • Options
    CorehealerCorehealer The Apothecary The softer edge of the universe.Registered User regular
    Adorable.

488W936.png
  • Options
    MyCoCoMyCoCo Registered User regular
    Managed to get high enough and scrape together enough money for the 1st tier Sylvari Cultural armour ( thanks @Fantasyrogue )

I had no idea this stuff glowed along with you when you put in on, 3 hours was too short to feel so fabulous.
    Wi13C.jpg

Woosh.
    TIxdh.jpg

Saturday can't come quick enough :[
    GFc4D.jpg

• Options
    FantasyrogueFantasyrogue Registered User regular
    @MyCoCo you are, again, most welcome. It was worth it to get a look at that fabulous armor. But you just had to post the screenshot with me in the middle of my fantastic dance routines, didn't you? :P

• Options
    initiatefailureinitiatefailure Registered User regular
    Damn it now I live with someone obsessed with this game. On top of the cool screens here I saw it in action the other day. I'll probably have to buy it now.

• Options
    CadeCade Eppur si muove.Registered User regular
    Rorus Raz wrote: »

Sharp, pointy teeth.
    YyMQk.jpg

That is so the video game equivalent of the Dat Ass meme.

• Options
    lizbotlizbot Registered User regular
    Cade wrote: »
    Rorus Raz wrote: »

Sharp, pointy teeth.
    YyMQk.jpg

That is so the video game equivalent of the Dat Ass meme.

They told me I could be anything I wanted...

fwp.png
  • Options
    I think everyone's too busy playing the game right now to post screenshots, so I'll post a couple of mine while I'm on break.

First off, vistas are brilliant.

SfFpA.jpg

Second off, all my guys are in heritage gear.

6xAHq.jpg

• Options
    TolerantZeroTolerantZero Registered User regular
    Really glad I found Amber dye, it goes well with Jalepeno.

XdgTr.jpg

Metrica Province is really something else. Giant, jungle area with a fair amount of asuran labs.

CsoKA.jpg

Steam | Raptr | 3DS - 2552-2106-0321
  • Options
    And... yup, Hoelbrak is huge.

RK9PC.jpg

Also, charr look better in plate. Especially plate with SPIKY BITS

XUqHL.jpg

• Options
    EshEsh Tending bar. FFXIV. Motorcycles. Portland, ORRegistered User regular
    WoW is so painfully awful to look at after playing GW2 at 1080p with Super-Sampling on all day. I can never, ever, ever go back.

I'll grab some screen-shots tomorrow.

• Options
    vamenvamen Registered User regular
    My ridiculously crappy Comcast connection has a habit of dropping my connection for 10-15 seconds, every 30 seconds or so. It's very frustrating, but today it did cause me to get locked in a funny pose, which I have added the appropriate caption to:

cQ3Tu.jpg

• Options
    Mx. QuillMx. Quill I now prefer "Myr. Quill", actually... {They/Them}Registered User regular
    Mesmers are fabulous.

Yrqrc.jpg

Outside of a really fun and tricky dungeon-like place.

KVyPt.jpg

And, of course, dance party.

2MHnl.jpg

God this game is excellent.

• Options
    LET IT BEGIN

I recently bought this cooking set. It actually comes with a bunch of abilities like summoning a Charr sous chef.
    ZfQ0Q.jpg

Continue to deal with it.
    cGWYq.jpg

The reason why modern foods tend to stay out of MMOs.
    76amY.jpg

You cannot trust the Charr. I was always checking my back while getting pictures of their shitty rust city.
    kgooZ.jpg

I do my best Link impression and SLASH THE THING.
    RzNW3.jpg

Here is me trying to fight a pig.
    XmJLu.jpg

My personal quest in which I
    fight my alternate future self, who has taken over the world.
    oagVa.jpg

A Skritt city, but I understand if you initially confused it with a Charr settlement.
    8vsrZ.jpg

MOOSE?
    mbzds.jpg

Keep those guild colors flying!
    ISrzK.jpg

After I helped an NPC get some embers for his golem, I followed him and it turns out he was competing in a tournament. His opponent brought a water-type golem and won easily.
    2oMeD.jpg

A matter of size.
    9nVRo.jpg

Norn dudes are even bigger. Sexism!
    g6f7e.jpg

This is part of a platforming puzzle. It's elevated high in the clouds.
    PLRRX.jpg

More of the puzzle. While appearing to be instanced, this IS a part of the persistent world. I fell once and, instead of a loading screen back to the start, I plummeted all the way to hard earth below. To add insult to injury, I had to run all the back.
    TBy3X.jpg

Running to action!
    nlYdh.png

Lion's Arch has a diving board with a LONG drop.
    64s0E.jpg

I am having second thoughts about this!
    QnDvO.jpg

Under the sea.
    hZera.jpg

You can turn into animals.
    Jeook.jpg

My favorite screen of my character so far.
    85yY9.jpg

YL9WnCY.png
  • Options
    edited August 2012
    Oh, you thought I was done? Vistas are things in the game that you can find. Once found, a short cinematic plays that is basically the camera panning around the vista. It provides some decent screenshots of the game's very pretty zones. Also, the lack of a first-person camera means this is one of the few ways I can get sans-characters screens without using the cower emote.

mZ6OA.jpg

3MXV2.jpg

u7ZwK.jpg

1nDj6.jpg

G1d8l.jpg

tyjYN.jpg

7FCsP.jpg

iC5u4.jpg

Dw0et.jpg

eQBFT.jpg

6fBqa.jpg

Sterica on
    YL9WnCY.png
  • Options
    AvynteAvynte Registered User regular
    My ranger got a fabulous hat from the first dungeon.

sdjkL.jpg

ECOED.jpg
  • Options
    SurikoSuriko AustraliaRegistered User regular
  • Options
    AvynteAvynte Registered User regular
    Suriko wrote: »
    Holy shit, I need that hat. I love that style of hat. What's the name of the dungeon?

Ascalon Catacombs, level 30.

Each armor class gets it's own style hat at the end and that one is for all the medium armor wearers.

ECOED.jpg
  • Options
    Let me show you the dance of my people

kickinit4realz.jpg

fwp.png
  • Options
    edited August 2012
    -dupe-

lizbot on
    fwp.png
  • Options
    SurikoSuriko AustraliaRegistered User regular
    Avynte wrote: »
    Suriko wrote: »
    Holy shit, I need that hat. I love that style of hat. What's the name of the dungeon?

Ascalon Catacombs, level 30.

Each armor class gets it's own style hat at the end and that one is for all the medium armor wearers.

Thanks. I mainly run medium armour classes anyway, so all the better.

• Options
    FreiFrei A French Prometheus Unbound DeadwoodRegistered User regular
    lizbot wrote: »
    Let me show you the dance of my people

kickinit4realz.jpg

dem's some nice clothes

Are you the magic man?
  • Options
    ArthilArthil Registered User regular
    I wish so much that the Warrior banners had the guild emblem on them, but I guess visually it helps people know what you're using in PvP.
    5UQn4.jpg

Winter is com- wait it's here already.
    eeifp.jpg

PSN: Honishimo Steam UPlay: Arthil
  • Options
    TolerantZeroTolerantZero Registered User regular
    I am still a firm believer that the norn dance is the absolute best dance. Seeing one do the Carlton Shuffle always puts a smile on my face.

yHSr5.jpg

WdZYx.jpg

cNoRV.jpg

Steam | Raptr | 3DS - 2552-2106-0321
  • Options
    initiatefailureinitiatefailure Registered User regular
    What's the norm lady dance? It looked familiar but sped up of whatever it is.

I really just have vista screens right now. Does the game have a force high quality screenshots function? If I'm playing on my laptop it's not worth it to take shots at everything low/off

This discussion has been closed.