As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

[PRIME] Indie Tabletop RPGs on Demand

sageltsagelt Registered User regular
edited September 2012 in PAX West
Looking to play something new and different at PAX Prime? Indie Games on Demand is back and we've got you covered.

What is Indie Games on Demand?
It's a place to play tabletop RPGs by small independent publishers. All you've got to do is show up and we'll find you a game.

What's an indie RPG?
It's a creator-owned RPG. Because they're creator-owned they're often cutting-edge, creative, and just a bit different from your average RPG.

Great, how do I play?
Just stop by rooms 305 and 306. "On Demand" means that if we can get you into a game you're interested in right away we will. If all the tables are full, or we need more players for what you want to play, we'll try to plan the game for later. No experience required: you provide enthusiasm, we provide a facilitator/GM and anything else you need to play (dice etc.).

What games will you have?
The list will vary depending on what facilitators/GMs we have on hand when you come by. Here are some that are likely to be available most of the time:
-13th Age
-Dungeon World
-Apocalypse World
-Fiasco
-Mouse Guard
-Burning Wheel
-Murderous Ghosts
-psi*run
-Lady Blackbird
-Monsterhearts
-Polaris
-Microscope
-Dogs in the Vineyard

Moe Fwacky on

• Options
    JobiwanKenobiJobiwanKenobi Registered User regular
    Very cool! I've been looking forward to trying out Fiasco and Burning Wheel for a while now.

PAX Prime '09 - H1N(erd)1 Survivor - Never Forget (Your Hand Sanitizer)
    PAX Prime '14 Omeganaut - Result: KO in 3rd Round (Damn you, Super Avalanche 2!)
  • Options
    LiraLira Registered User regular
    If you haven't stopped by the indie gaming room before, do it! These games are amazing, and we've had some of the authors stop by to run them from time to time. Personally I'm aiming for Apocalypse World and Psi*Run this year.

And Jobiwan, I'll also be running at least one Burning Wheel demo at the pre-PAX board game night in the Sheraton, and possibly again after the Omegathon.

• Options
    There will be several authors/designers on hand to run their games. We can't guarantee availability but these folks will all be around the con:

Sage LaTorra & Adam Koebel (Dungeon World)
    Meguey Baker (Psi*run)
    Ben Robbins (Microscope)
    John Harper (Lady Blackbird)
    Luke Crane (Mouse Guard, Burning Wheel)

They may be busy, but I bet many of them could find time for a game.

• Options
    Disco11Disco11 Registered User regular
    I might need to hug Luke Crane for making mouse guard.

PSN: Canadian_llama
  • Options
    machineivmachineiv Registered User regular
    Filamena Young and I (David A Hill Jr) will be present, and able to run our catalog:

Maschine Zeit
    Amaranthine
    Flatpack: Fix the Future
    Farewell to Fear
    Kicking Historical Asses
    Fuck Armageddon
    The Gentle Ladies Tea and Monstrosity Destroying and Quilting Circle Auxiliary

-David A Hill Jr
    http://www.machineageproductions.com/

David A Hill Jr
    Freelance Writer - Game Designer
    Machine Age Productions
    Find me on Twitter
  • Options
    Oh man, I didn't even get to Filamena and David's games! Seriously, there's so many awesome games and GMs coming that it's impossible to keep track of them all.

• Options
    FatherFletchFatherFletch Registered User regular
    Yeah, this will indeed rock some socks off.

Tabletop Manager
    Rolling Old School Dice since '04
  • Options
    JobiwanKenobiJobiwanKenobi Registered User regular
    Lira wrote: »
    And Jobiwan, I'll also be running at least one Burning Wheel demo at the pre-PAX board game night in the Sheraton, and possibly again after the Omegathon.

I plan on being at the pre-PAX board game night on Thursday. Are you planning on posting demo details (when and where) on the forum, tweeting, or putting together a group through the magic of the board game night?

PAX Prime '09 - H1N(erd)1 Survivor - Never Forget (Your Hand Sanitizer)
    PAX Prime '14 Omeganaut - Result: KO in 3rd Round (Damn you, Super Avalanche 2!)
  • Options
    waderockettwaderockett Tacoma, WARegistered User regular
    Rob Heinsoo will be one of the GMs running 13th Age. Rob Watkins (Star Wars Miniatures) is the game's developer, and he'll be running sessions as well.

We will also have a table on the WSCC 2nd floor running very short demos of the game.

• Options
    XaaKXaaK Registered User new member

I realize this is probably a stupid question - but where are rooms 305 and 306? I can't seem to find any reference to them on the various maps...

Thanks.

• Options
    deadwing34deadwing34 Registered User regular
    Does anyone know if anyone will be DMing the DCC RPG at PAX this year?

• Options
    deadwing, I know of at least one person who's hoping to run it, and I'm hoping to play, so... probably!

• Options
    XaaK: It's part of Tabletop Freeplay.

From the main entrance on Pike St head up the escalators until you reach the third floor. Then turn left and walk along the rooms until you see 305 and 306. There should be signs outside.

• Options
    deadwing34deadwing34 Registered User regular
    sagelt wrote: »
    deadwing, I know of at least one person who's hoping to run it, and I'm hoping to play, so... probably!

Ok sounds good, would I just show up at the indie games on demand area to find the game being played? I know that myself and a friend would be interested in playing sometime during the convention.

• Options
    LackeyLackey [E] PAX Tabletop Tournaments Registered User regular
    edited August 2012
    XaaK wrote: »
    I realize this is probably a stupid question - but where are rooms 305 and 306? I can't seem to find any reference to them on the various maps...

Thanks.

305 and 306 are in the main part of the WSCC. There is a series of waterfall escalators in one long straight line that go up to the 4th floor. On the way up, stop on the 3rd floor. Each room is numbered, so it shouldn't be hard to find once you're on the 3rd floor.

Lackey on
  • Options
    jon-theBeardjon-theBeard SeattleRegistered User regular
    As a new GM of Mouse Guard, I'm really excited to be a player and to learn more about Burning Wheel!

• Options
    plki76plki76 Redmond, WARegistered User regular
    Played Burning Wheel yesterday and it was a lot of fun. We did a social challenge and the system is very detailed. There was a combat right at the end, but we didn't go into the combat system much and instead did a simple skills challenge.

The game (or at least the session I played) relies a lot on the players to "make things happen". I was fortunate to get into a group with three people who were quite good, and I think they had all played the system before which helped (I had not).

I think the system has a ton of potential, but needs a good group of players who are very comfortable with ad-lib and character immersion. Anyway, if you didn't get into a game yesterday, definitely try it today.

This discussion has been closed.