As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

Speeding ticket in Baltimore County, 3 options?

Dr. FrenchensteinDr. Frenchenstein Registered User regular
edited August 2012 in Help / Advice Forum
I got a ticket the other day for going 43 in a 30 (there is no reason for this road to be 30 mph, but i digress). I was given a printout that i was not required to sign, and has 3 options. A)Pay it outright, and receive any points i am due. (i'm not doing this) B) plead guilty and throw yourself on the mercy of the court (the cop isn't required to show up) or C) request a trial.

Option B does not require the cop be present in court. If i go to trial, i plan on pleading guilty anyways, and just hoping i can avoid the points. But there is always the chance the cop will be a no show, and i will get out of it. My concern is that if i take that gamble, the judge will be less likely to remove the points. Anyone had these options before? any advice on which option to take?

Dr. Frenchenstein on

• Options
    bowenbowen How you doin'? Registered User regular
    Most people tell me to get a traffic lawyer in these situations because most often they get the points reduced, and thus, reduce what you pay over the next dozen years on your insurance.

not a doctor, not a lawyer, examples I use may not be fully researched so don't take out of context plz, don't @ me
  • Options
    I'm pretty sure i wont get any points (i have a clean driving record), and the fine is only $90. I'm just wondering if you get option B) to potentially screw yourself over. I got a ticket recently in the city, and it's either pay up, or trial. I'm just concerned the judge will look unfavorably on me for not allowing the cop to bail on the court day.

• Options
    after some google street view research, there are no speed limit signs between where i got onto that road, and where i got popped, but it is 30 mph before then.

I think i'm taking option B. apparently, if the cop is a no show in the county, you get bumped to the PM docket, and they call him to show up, and then he/she pepper sprays you in the crotch.

STUPID LAWS.

• Options
    schussschuss Registered User regular
    See if you can contact the prosecutor. If you have a clean record, you can probably get it put "on file", which means it's deferred for 6 months. If you haven't gotten any other violations in that period, it just goes away, but if you get one, you have to pay the full monty.

• Options
    this is in Amurrica, i don't believe there is a prosecutor (at least, not in MD that i'm aware of). you just stand in front of the judge and the cop is the other party. he give his statement, you give yours, judge gives verdict.

• Options
    schussschuss Registered User regular
    this is in Amurrica, i don't believe there is a prosecutor (at least, not in MD that i'm aware of). you just stand in front of the judge and the cop is the other party. he give his statement, you give yours, judge gives verdict.

I've been to traffic court once or twice, and there's usually a prosecutor. They're more of a clerk than anything, but there is someone organizing the police etc. on the other side, at least in NH.

• Options
    yeah, there's just the bailiff, the judge's assistant, and the judge in MD.

• Options
    Jebus314Jebus314 Registered User regular
    yeah, there's just the bailiff, the judge's assistant, and the judge in MD.

Most places have a way to defer a ticket though. This link makes it sound like you take option B and then ask the judge for a "probation before judgment". Which amounts to the same thing as getting the ticket deferred. Basically, I think you still pay a fine, but you don't get any points.

"The world is a mess, and I just need to rule it" - Dr Horrible
  • Options
    yep, that's all i'm really looking to do.