As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

I look like a scaly monster [Eyelid Eczema]

ScorchedScorched Registered User regular
edited April 2010 in Help / Advice Forum
Alright, so this is major embarrassing and all. As the title says, I've developed a case of eyelid eczema.

This started back in December when I did not have the time at all to get it checked out by a doctor, and I thought it was just case of dry lids. Things weren't so bad until I came home (just one eyelid.) However, its getting much worse - spreading to different the other eye, and other parts of my face.

I do have an history with things skin conditions like this (all different) related to stress and stuff.

I would go to the doctor, but wont be able to for the next ten days. Since this is actually wrecking my confidence a little bit (I thought I got over that, but no dice) I was wondering if anyone had any anecdotal advice I could try out until then?

Any help would be greatly appreciated.

Scorched on

• Options
    zoidzoid Registered User regular
    edited April 2010
    Well what are you doing to it to make it better? Are you moisturizing it all the time? If you are using any skin moisturizer that makes it look redder than usual, stop it. I have eczema too and once time I broke out (not acne, but got really dry between my eyes, my eyelids, below nose and what not, you could really see dry skin scales that came back no matter how i peeled them off), I bought a moisturizer that I could carry it with me. But the moisturizer actually made it worse, switched to Aveeno and it was a LOT better.

I always use Aveeno for my face and body, something that's thick and soothing without feeling of grease (like Eucerin). I moisturize religiously, morning and night and whenever I feel a little dry, I use it. Another tip is get something without fragrance.

Also, at night, wash your face, moisturize using lotion and then massage your face with a very small amount of petroleum jelly (Vaseline, Aquaphore, drug brand, w/e). And go to sleep. Next morning your face would be so baby butt smooth. (if you don't like the greasy texture, just gently work it into your skin and wipe the excess off with wet towel or something). It works wonders for me.

zoid on
  • Options
    chromdomchromdom Who? Where?Registered User regular
    edited April 2010
    As far as the confidence issue goes, would it be possible, and would it even help? to wear sunglasses, even indoors, until you can get to a doctor. You can tell people you've got an eye thing going on, and you need to wear them for a bit. Of course, this may stigmatize you more, and not something I would recommend, but if you're really worried about sticking out, it may be a way to go.

chromdom on
  • Options
    Raif SeveranceRaif Severance Registered User regular
    edited April 2010
    Scorched wrote: »
    Alright, so this is major embarrassing and all. As the title says, I've developed a case of eyelid eczema.

This started back in December when I did not have the time at all to get it checked out by a doctor, and I thought it was just case of dry lids. Things weren't so bad until I came home (just one eyelid.) However, its getting much worse - spreading to different the other eye, and other parts of my face.

I do have an history with things skin conditions like this (all different) related to stress and stuff.

I would go to the doctor, but wont be able to for the next ten days. Since this is actually wrecking my confidence a little bit (I thought I got over that, but no dice) I was wondering if anyone had any anecdotal advice I could try out until then?

Any help would be greatly appreciated.

This sounds like Seborrhea to me. This is usually found around hairy areas on the face. It gets kind of tricky to treat around the eyes but the treatment is actually pretty similar to what you'd do with dandruff. If you are feeling brave you can try some selenium sulfide (Selson Blue) or zinc pyrithione (Head and Shoulders) but you really don't want any to get in your actual eyes, obviously. Just rub some on and then leave it on for at least 5 minutes --- that part is very important. It needs time to penetrate. When most people say these products don't work for them, it's because they don't leave it on long enough for it to work. Some people have some success with coal tar as well.

If those don't work then you can try some salicylic acid or sulfur, or even a combination of the two like Sebulex. Once again it's tricky to treat the area near the eyes with these agents.

Lastly, there have been some studies where there is actually a fungal infection that exacerbates these conditions called P. ovale. Some people have found it beneficial to use an anti-fungal like ketoconazole but I would try the other methods first.

Raif Severance on
  • Options
    ueanuean Registered User regular
    edited April 2010
    I had the same thing when I was in school, super stressed. I never got self-concious about it though, and did my best to avoid rubbing my eyes. Took freaking forever to just go away... can't say I'd ever advise someone to not go to a doctor over it cause it sucked. But I was taking 8 classes a semester and working fulltime so I didn't exactly have time to get anything done about it.

As for dealing with it, I tried to keep it dry and was "that guy" wearing sunglasses indoors. Funny enough I felt more stupid wearing sunglasses inside than not, but at least I was just deemed "socially awkward" rather than "look at that freak."

There are some decent creams out there for it though. Just try to get to it before it starts cracking and oozing.

uean on
    Guys? Hay guys?
    PSN - sumowot
  • Options
    Enos316Enos316 Registered User regular
    edited April 2010
    If it is Eczema then your doc will probably prescribe you some steroid cream. I have it and currently use Fluocinonide.

Until you can see the doc, I would recommend Eucerin cream as an over-the-counter temporary solution.

Enos316 on

Enos.jpg
  • Options
    bruinbruin Registered User regular
    edited April 2010
    I have fairly bad eczema on my face too. Other than on one bad outbreak this winter that required steroid cream, Cetaphil lotion has worked wonders.

bruin on
  • Options
    ihmmyihmmy Registered User regular
    edited April 2010
    I have mild eczema from time to time and I find that a good moisturizing lotion can help. Personally I like lubriderm because I have ridiculously sensitive skin and it never makes my skin feel burny or gives me rashes or anything. When my eczema started up, the doctor prescribed me a special cream for it but tbh basic non-scented lotions have always been more effective for me (note, that's for me, not guaranteed for everyone)

ihmmy on
  • Options
    edited April 2010
    Thanks for the help so far, all.

In regards to moisturizing and all that: yeah, I've cut out pretty much everything from a daily regime. (one face wash which contained salicylic acid btw, so I'm not sure if it could be seborrhea.) Using a different moisturizer and some sunscreen as well, it seems to be... better today after having been terrible for the past week or so.

About the creams: I'm finding a lot of stuff on the web (yeah, I know, medical info from the web) that they tend to leave as much as a visible mark as the eczema afterwards in terms of discoloration and thinning of the skin and whatnot. I'm not planning to against the grain of proven medicine, but did any of you who try it experience any of that?

I suppose that even if it says, the one upside is that I'm a veritable testbed for dermatologists. I wonder if I could make money selling my face to science. :lol:

Scorched on
  • Options
    EdilithEdilith Registered User regular
    edited April 2010
    About the creams: I'm finding a lot of stuff on the web (yeah, I know, medical info from the web) that they tend to leave as much as a visible mark as the eczema afterwards in terms of discoloration and thinning of the skin and whatnot. I'm not planning to against the grain of proven medicine, but did any of you who try it experience any of that?

As an eczema suffer since a toddler I've tried out more creams and lotions than I can count on my fingers, and like you stress was a trigger for me. During my teenage years it was bad enough to cause scarring and infection on my calves, since I always hid it under long socks. I'd advise against not wearing glasses, or hats if the eczema is near your forehead.

I did experience some slight skin thinning, but as I said I have been on a tons of steroids. And I'm going to sound like a hippy/my mother: but the only cream that has calmed my skin down and keeps it at bay is "Dream Cream" by LUSH, and it has also reduced the appearance of my scar tissue. If you have a store near you it'd be worth going in and asking for a tester, or just Google it (they have a US store too).

Edilith on
  • Options
    TrillianTrillian Registered User regular
    edited April 2010
    Edilith wrote: »
    I did experience some slight skin thinning, but as I said I have been on a tons of steroids. And I'm going to sound like a hippy/my mother: but the only cream that has calmed my skin down and keeps it at bay is "Dream Cream" by LUSH, and it has also reduced the appearance of my scar tissue. If you have a store near you it'd be worth going in and asking for a tester, or just Google it (they have a US store too).

A thousand times this
    A am serious.
    They also have online ordering.

Trillian on

They cast a shadow like a sundial in the morning light. It was half past 10.
  • Options
    edited April 2010

I had bad eczema on my fingers and after years and years (over ten years, really) of using steroid ointment left my right middle finger with slightly thinned skin but then again, that finger had it really bad, I have had to use ointment for extensive period of time. Beside, steroid ointment/lotion/cream for your face tend to have a lot less steroid compared to what you would normally use for your body. So I wouldn't worry about that too much.

zoid on
  • Options
    edited April 2010
    You may also want to get it checked out for something more insidious.
    What I thought was really really (really) bad eczema was actually celiac disease manifesting oddly.

Trillian on

• Options
    KronusKronus Registered User regular
    edited April 2010
    bruin wrote: »
    I have fairly bad eczema on my face too. Other than on one bad outbreak this winter that required steroid cream, Cetaphil lotion has worked wonders.

I also use Cetaphil and it has been excellent on my arms and legs. Works well on my face too, but it takes a little longer.

That dream cream is intriguing, is it worth the $25? I can't really tell how big the tub is on their website.

Kronus on
  • Options
    edited April 2010
    Kronus wrote: »

I also use Cetaphil and it has been excellent on my arms and legs. Works well on my face too, but it takes a little longer.

That dream cream is intriguing, is it worth the $25? I can't really tell how big the tub is on their website.

Yea I'm interested in that Dream Cream, anything to help eczema :P

i found this picture of the tub with someone's hand, if that helps you get a reference..
    n682856608_1983340_6677.jpg

it's not super big but it's not small either.

zoid on
  • Options
    KetarKetar Come on upstairs we're having a partyRegistered User regular
    edited April 2010
    Thanks for the help so far, all.

In regards to moisturizing and all that: yeah, I've cut out pretty much everything from a daily regime. (one face wash which contained salicylic acid btw, so I'm not sure if it could be seborrhea.) Using a different moisturizer and some sunscreen as well, it seems to be... better today after having been terrible for the past week or so.

I suppose that even if it says, the one upside is that I'm a veritable testbed for dermatologists. I wonder if I could make money selling my face to science. :lol:

Have you tried hydrocortisone? I have similar issues (though mine is definitely seb derm) and hydrocortisone is what I use any time I have issues with eyelids or around my upper lip. It usually works perfectly with no issues, and reasonably quickly (i.e., within a day).

Ketar on
  • Options
    edited April 2010
    I did experience some slight skin thinning, but as I said I have been on a tons of steroids. And I'm going to sound like a hippy/my mother: but the only cream that has calmed my skin down and keeps it at bay is "Dream Cream" by LUSH, and it has also reduced the appearance of my scar tissue..

This sounds amazing and I'll definitely try that out.

Thanks for your help all; the fact that many of you seem to have had positive outcomes was worth it by itself, but the advice is incredibly helpful and a good enough confidence boost.

Dunno if there's anything more to add, I'll probably come back after I've gone to the NHS and seen some results to post and confirm what worked out well/did not, to maybe help some other people!

Edit: Also will ask my doctor about celiacs disease all to make sure. I'm a hypochondriac when it comes to internet diagnosis, so I'll relax about it, but I have been eating pasta 6/7 days. Would be my own fault for not paying attention during nutrition in biology.

Scorched on
  • Options
    edited April 2010
    zoid wrote: »

i found this picture of the tub with someone's hand, if that helps you get a reference..
    *snip*

That's a pretty good size, about what I was thinking for something coming from Lush. Thanks :^: Actually, to anyone who has used it, would it be safe for facial use? It says Hand and Body Lotion, wasn't sure if that's a rule or just a general label. I'm checking in case of the possibility that it's not good for your face, for whatever crazy reason (my face and elbows are where I get most of my outbreaks).

Good luck OP, I'm sure there's something out there that will clear it up for you. It's a tough game of trial and error.

Kronus on
  • Options
    Eat it You Nasty Pig.Eat it You Nasty Pig. tell homeland security 'we are the bomb'Registered User regular
    edited April 2010
    I get some eczema flareup every now and then, too, and honestly the most helpful thing was a bottle of OTC moisturizer. I do have a bottle of proscribed facial wash, but it doesn't seem that effective.

The other thing that really helped was not wearing facial hair and thinning my eyebrows some (bonus, my eyebrows look a lot better now than their natural bushy state.) So you might give that a shot if you're flaking in those areas of your face.

Eat it You Nasty Pig. on
    NREqxl5.jpg
    it was the smallest on the list but
    Pluto was a planet and I'll never forget
  • Options
    edited April 2010

*snip*

That's a pretty good size, about what I was thinking for something coming from Lush. Thanks :^: Actually, to anyone who has used it, would it be safe for facial use? It says Hand and Body Lotion, wasn't sure if that's a rule or just a general label. I'm checking in case of the possibility that it's not good for your face, for whatever crazy reason (my face and elbows are where I get most of my outbreaks).

well while i was looking around, i've read that some people use it on their face and love it so i assume it would be fine. and to be honest, if i wouldn't put it on my face, i wouldn't put it on my body either so there. if you do decide to get it, let us know how it is, i'm genuinely interested.

zoid on
  • Options
    edited April 2010

*snip*

well while i was looking around, i've read that some people use it on their face and love it so i assume it would be fine. and to be honest, if i wouldn't put it on my face, i wouldn't put it on my body either so there. if you do decide to get it, let us know how it is, i'm genuinely interested.

This stuff took my skin from boiled-in-oil to baby soft in a week

Trillian on

• Options
    EdilithEdilith Registered User regular
    edited April 2010
    Actually, to anyone who has used it, would it be safe for facial use? It says Hand and Body Lotion, wasn't sure if that's a rule or just a general label. I'm checking in case of the possibility that it's not good for your face, for whatever crazy reason (my face and elbows are where I get most of my outbreaks).

Dream Cream should be fine for your face, but try a bit on your upper cheek or something before slathering it over. I have sensitive skin (which breaks out in a rash if something like a belt buckle rubs on my tummy), but I use it all over my face including lips and eye area without any problems.

Edilith on
  • Options
    edited April 2010
    Actually, to anyone who has used it, would it be safe for facial use? It says Hand and Body Lotion, wasn't sure if that's a rule or just a general label. I'm checking in case of the possibility that it's not good for your face, for whatever crazy reason (my face and elbows are where I get most of my outbreaks).

Dream Cream should be fine for your face, but try a bit on your upper cheek or something before slathering it over. I have sensitive skin (which breaks out in a rash if something like a belt buckle rubs on my tummy), but I use it all over my face including lips and eye area without any problems.

Copy that, I'll have to pick some up this summer when I'm in a city with a Lush. All of the ingredients sounded fine for face stuff but, y'know, eczema is dumb and does dumb things under dumb conditions. Looking forward to having this around!

Kronus on
  • Options
    DiannaDianna Registered User new member
    I've had this same problem for quite some time, I tried a million things, and then went to the allergist. He said 95% of the time when women have rashes on their eye lids it's from nail polish. He instructed me to stop wearing nail polish for a month and see what happens. Took off my nail polish, and a day later it was all cleared up. I'm on day 4 with no problems :)

This discussion has been closed.