As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

iOS Games: There's a Zombie on your In-App Purchase.

• Options
    RothgarrRothgarr Registered User regular
    Rothgarr wrote: »
    Hey Jam, I noticed your sig has a bunch of Zelda pics in it... I'm curious if you tried Horn and if you agree with people/reviews that say it's a cross between Zelda and Infinity Blade...

In have not, and to be fair am unlikely to. I don't tend to do the bigger phone games, looking more for short time fillers. That and I stalled half way through IB2 finding it a bit too similar to IB1.

That makes sense. I actually didn't care for the IB play style, either, and never finished either one. I bought them both for the eye candy.

I can't wait for Infinity Blade Dungeons to come out, though.

• Options
    DracilDracil Registered User regular
    edited August 2012
    Puzzle Craft AND 10000000 together have used up a lot of my time.

For 10m, I can't seem to be able to progress to the Dungeon Crawler stage so 3 of my rooms continue to be locked though. I also have no more missions. I have like thousands of wood and stone saved up that I can't use as my other rooms are all maxed out.

Edit: Looks like my 10m is bugged out and I have to reinstall and do it all over? Blargh.

Dracil on
    3DS: 2105-8644-6304
    Switch: US 1651-2551-4335 JP 6310-4664-2624
    MH3U Monster Cheat Sheet / MH3U Veggie Elder Ticket Guide
  • Options
    Ragnar DragonfyreRagnar Dragonfyre Registered User regular
    edited August 2012
    IB2 has some great content updates though. The latest two updates added quite a bit.

I think a big part of the issue with IB1/2 being similar is that they re-used too many art assets... especially the animations. I was rather disappointed by that. Being a company that's got amazing funding, they should have been able to take the time to make some new animations and make some proper anims for certain weapons. Stabbing with a blunt weapon is always going to look wrong.

Ragnar Dragonfyre on
    steam_sig.png
  • Options
    ShadowfireShadowfire Vermont, in the middle of nowhereRegistered User regular
    Final Fantasy Dimensions
    Phone-Based Final Fantasy Releases On August 31

The good news is that the episodic Final Fantasy Dimensions is coming out for iOS and Android later this month around the world. Unfortunately,Square Enix may have misjudged how much users are willing to pay for the experience on mobile phones.

Final Fantasy Dimensions aims to provide a RPG experience more in line with the series' entries on SNES. However, like the Final Fantasy IV sequel The After Years, Dimensions is broken up into episodes to be purchased separately. According to a blog post from Square Enix, the pricing breaks down like this: "The prologue will be free for everyone to enjoy. You can purchase the first chapter for $2.99 / £1.99 / €2.39, chapters 2-4 for $9.99 / £6.99 / €7.99 each, or the entire collection of chapters for $28.99 / £19.99 / €22.99."

While I'm excited to play a new Final Fantasy in the old-school style, I can't help but wince at that price point. It may be in line with DS and Vita price points, but most gamers don't expect to pay that much for something they play on their phones.

You can see the latest batch of screens for Final Fantasy Dimensions below.

:lol:

WiiU: Windrunner ; Guild Wars 2: Shadowfire.3940 ; PSN: Bradcopter
  • Options
    IncindiumIncindium Registered User regular
    So I bribed my kid (1st grader) with the promise of Angry Birds Space if he got an A in Citizenship after getting in a little trouble for talking the first week and getting a C+.

He got A this week... Lol.

steam_sig.png
    Nintendo ID: Incindium
    PSN: IncindiumX
  • Options
    Ragnar DragonfyreRagnar Dragonfyre Registered User regular
    Shadowfire wrote: »
    Final Fantasy Dimensions
    Phone-Based Final Fantasy Releases On August 31

The good news is that the episodic Final Fantasy Dimensions is coming out for iOS and Android later this month around the world. Unfortunately,Square Enix may have misjudged how much users are willing to pay for the experience on mobile phones.

Final Fantasy Dimensions aims to provide a RPG experience more in line with the series' entries on SNES. However, like the Final Fantasy IV sequel The After Years, Dimensions is broken up into episodes to be purchased separately. According to a blog post from Square Enix, the pricing breaks down like this: "The prologue will be free for everyone to enjoy. You can purchase the first chapter for $2.99 / £1.99 / €2.39, chapters 2-4 for $9.99 / £6.99 / €7.99 each, or the entire collection of chapters for $28.99 / £19.99 / €22.99."

While I'm excited to play a new Final Fantasy in the old-school style, I can't help but wince at that price point. It may be in line with DS and Vita price points, but most gamers don't expect to pay that much for something they play on their phones.

You can see the latest batch of screens for Final Fantasy Dimensions below.

:lol:

I laughed too... then cried.

steam_sig.png
  • Options
    minor incidentminor incident expert in a dying field njRegistered User regular
    Thirty earth dollars for a cell phone Final Fantasy game?

Bwahahahahahahahahahahaha

Ah, it stinks, it sucks, it's anthropologically unjust
  • Options
    DracilDracil Registered User regular
    Well beat 10m. Not having a bugged game makes things so much easier.

3DS: 2105-8644-6304
    Switch: US 1651-2551-4335 JP 6310-4664-2624
    MH3U Monster Cheat Sheet / MH3U Veggie Elder Ticket Guide
  • Options
    Nova_CNova_C I have the need The need for speedRegistered User regular
    At 6.99 I balk.

Games for the appstore should not exceed $5.

• Options
    Nova_C wrote: »
    At 6.99 I balk.

Games for the appstore should not exceed $5.

I've bought games that were $10 and I found to be worth it. I'd consider $15 for a brand new 16-bit style FF game. $29 is comical.

• Options
    InkSplatInkSplat 100%ed Bad Rats. Registered User regular
    Is $30 really that bad if its an FFIV-length/quality title? Not that it will be, but if they really put enough effort into it to make it worthy of the SNES FFs.. I'd be totally okay paying $30 to encourage more of them.

Origin for Dragon Age: Inquisition Shenanigans: Inksplat776
  • Options
    It would have to be FFVI/CT epic for me to want to spend that kind of money on it, but everyone has their limits.

• Options
    It would have to be FFVI/CT epic for me to want to spend that kind of money on it, but everyone has their limits.

So.. it has to be one of the best games ever to warrant $30? Jesus, man.

When I see stuff like this, I totally am not surprised that we don't see more quality games. Because unless its shiny and "next gen", people won't pay for it.

• Options
    kimekime Queen of Blades Registered User regular
    InkSplat wrote: »

So.. it has to be one of the best games ever to warrant $30? Jesus, man.

When I see stuff like this, I totally am not surprised that we don't see more quality games. Because unless its shiny and "next gen", people won't pay for it.

We see plenty of quality games, even if you only look at mobile devices. But honestly, people are legitimately comparing it to SNES games (often intended as a compliment). Charging $30 for a game like that is stretching it a bit. It really just seems like the price has a huge profit margin.

And whether or not it does, that's not important. It just clearly has the perception of that, especially in the environment of mobile gaming where every other company can release full games for free, $1, $2, or $10 being the really really pricey ones.

Battle.net ID: kime#1822
    3DS Friend Code: 3110-5393-4113
    Steam profile
  • Options
    Well, between the Appstore and Steam, I'm getting pretty suspicious of any title that costs more than $20. I have a bunch of games that I paid $60 for and barely touched because they weren't that good or just didn't grab me, but I paid like $5 for Galaxy on Fire or $10 or something for the Alien Shooter games on Steam and enjoyed the hell out of them.

• Options
    VeganVegan Registered User regular
    Once your video game backlog has grown big enough, high prices don't fly. You can just play something else while waiting for sales. It's a bit of a consumer power trip.

steam_sig.png
  • Options
    wakaranaiwakaranai Registered User regular
    edited August 2012
    Wow. Quite an abrupt drop, although supposedly only free today:

Trigger Fist goes from $5 to Free:
    http://itunes.apple.com/us/app/trigger-fist/id531184261?mt=8

Toucharcade review:
    http://toucharcade.com/2012/08/15/trigger-fist-review/

wakaranai on
  • Options
    I think the most I spent on an iOS game so far was $10 or $11 on Aralon and it was SO worth it.

• Options
    edited August 2012
    Air Mail is on sale for 99 cents -- it's a fun game with fantastic visuals (use the tilt controls to fly, I found them so much easier after a few minutes of getting used to them)

http://itunes.apple.com/us/app/air-mail/id490619180?mt=8

Rothgarr on
  • Options
    HeirHeir Ausitn, TXRegistered User regular
    Anyone know of a good world builder or empire building game? I've got Sim City and Warpgate...both were pretty fun in their own right.

Anything else? I love games where you start small (either in strength comparative to the world, or in money/empire size), and build your way to the top.

camo_sig2.png
  • Options
    chuck steakchuck steak Registered User regular
    Puzzle quest has some world builder elements and is quite addictive.

• Options
    cloudeaglecloudeagle Registered User regular
    Speaking of expensive, the iOS port of The World Ends With You is $18 for the iPhone, and $20 for the iPad. The good news is that it comes out tomorrow.

http://www.joystiq.com/2012/08/26/the-world-ends-with-you-solo-remix-on-iphone-and-ipad-tomorrow/

Switch: 3947-4890-9293
  • Options
    Well, it's marginally cheaper than trying to track down a copy from eBay.

• Options
    I loved everything about that game on the DS but never finished it.

• Options
    BullioBullio Registered User regular
    I'm guessing your partner is set on autopilot and you don't have any input?

Nice to see the Square Tax is still alive and well on iOS. Think I'll just stick with my DS copy, thanks.

steam_sig.png
  • Options
    I've heard soooo many good things about this game. Why does it have to be so expensive? :(

Steam profile
  • Options
    You used to be able to grab a DS copy for $10 everywhere you looked. I wonder if that's still the case.

steam_sig.png
  • Options
    Vegan wrote: »
    You used to be able to grab a DS copy for $10 everywhere you looked. I wonder if that's still the case.

I went hunting around a year ago, but it was nowhere to be found. I was told by everyone to check eBay, where used copies were going from $20-$50.

Don't know if that's still the case, though.

• Options
    The thing's selling for $27 used on Amazon, so looks like $18 is actually the cheaper option.

• Options
    Now I feel ashamed that I bought it years ago and still haven't gotten around to playing it. After hearing how amazing it is.

steam_sig.png
  • Options
    Oh god, I've been wanting this on my iPad forever. A little annoyed its not Universal, but I am reeeeally tempted to snag it for $20. I loved the hell out of it on DS.

• Options
    spookymuffinspookymuffin ( ° ʖ ° ) Puyallup WA Registered User regular
    It's really a jerk move to not make it universal, especially at that price.

PSN: MegaSpooky // 3DS: 3797-6276-7138
    Wii U NNID: MegaSpooky
  • Options
    So apparently Galaxy on Fire 2 HD was on sale for $1. The sale happened and lasted the entire time I was asleep. God damnit.

steam_sig.png
  • Options

I think they've done all of their iOS games that way. Clearly, it's working for them, because they keep doing it. Of course, if they changed their strategy, I think it would work BETTER for them, but they apparently don't know that (or they're just too stubborn about it).

steam_sig.png
  • Options
    Bullio wrote: »
    So apparently Galaxy on Fire 2 HD was on sale for $1. The sale happened and lasted the entire time I was asleep. God damnit.

Buy it anyway. It's the best game I've played on the iPad so far.

• Options
    spookymuffinspookymuffin ( ° ʖ ° ) Puyallup WA Registered User regular
    Vegan wrote: »

I think they've done all of their iOS games that way. Clearly, it's working for them, because they keep doing it. Of course, if they changed their strategy, I think it would work BETTER for them, but they apparently don't know that (or they're just too stubborn about it).

I waited for the iPad port of FFT (regretted the purchase), and I'm not going to spend anything more on their games if they keep separating devices. It's all iOS, it should be the same price for the license to use the game across all platforms, be it iPhone, iPod, or iPad.

PSN: MegaSpooky // 3DS: 3797-6276-7138
    Wii U NNID: MegaSpooky
  • Options
    chuck steakchuck steak Registered User regular

I just bought it for $1 ten minutes ago.

• Options
    Sooo, anyone play TWEWY yet?

• Options

I just bought it for $1 ten minutes ago.

Must have been some wonkiness with the store earlier or something, because it was showing as $10 for me at the time. Just looked and it's back down to $1, so I snatched the hell out of it.

steam_sig.png
  • Options
    The brief iStore blurb didn't really capture my attention, why is Galaxy on Fire 2 so fantastic?

Steam profile
This discussion has been closed.