As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

How do I buy all the Pixar movies in blu-ray?

wonderpugwonderpug Registered User regular
edited August 2012 in Help / Advice Forum
Ok, I know the question sounds dumb, but I just set out to complete my Pixar blu-ray collection for my daughter and I'm kind of baffled. Some things are available, some aren't, some things are only available used at high prices, some old movies have a December "in 3d!" release date... ugh. Is this the result of the Disney Vault crap?

I just want to have every Pixar movie, at as reasonable a price as possible, without getting gouged on eBay for something that's getting re-released at normal retail prices in 3 months.

I own:
Cars 1
Ratatouille
Wall*E
The collection of shorts

I want:
Everything else

If someone could spell out in dum-dum language what I should buy now off Amazon, or now off ebay, or wait for an impending re-release, I would be most appreciative. Buying new would be preferable but I'm not opposed to used.

wonderpug on

• Options
    Nova_CNova_C I have the need The need for speedRegistered User regular
    Finding Nemo's blu-ray release was held back because of the 3D re-release in theaters (SO giving Disney the bird on this one).

The rest have been released, though Disney straight up gouges for their blu-rays. It's ridiculous. Tron Legacy's blu-ray was $45 when it came out. Forty. Five. Dollars.

Amazon will have a good baseline for availability and prices. If you can't find it on Amazon, well, best of luck.

• Options
    NibCromNibCrom Registered User regular
    According to this, Pixar films aren't subject to the Disney Vault.

http://disney.wikia.com/wiki/Disney_Vault
    Disney's live-action films, Pixar films, DisneyToon Studios flims, and films released by Disney's other film divisions/labels (Touchstone Pictures, Hollywood Pictures, Miramax Films, Dimension Films) are not held to this rule, generally only being discontinued when a newer edition is released (or in the cases of Doug's 1st Movie or Recess: School's Out, when the show the movie is based on is cancelled)

However, Toy Story and Toy Story 2 (which are from Pixar) were once in the "Disney Vault" until 2005 where newer editions were released for those particular films. A 10th anniversary edition for Toy Story and a special edition for Toy Story 2. Certain Disney animated sequels are part of this rule, though not all the time.

I can attest that the Toy Story films were at one point out-of-print. It looks like at least a few of the Pixar films are going for higher prices than normal on Amazon, but they do have a pre-order for a new version up. I'm guessing they stopped making the current versions in anticipation of the upcoming new releases. My advice would be to wait for the new versions to come out. You won't have to purchase the Blu-rays from third parties, and the prices of the old versions will go down once the new versions arrive and the title is no longer out-of-print.

• Options
    MelinoeMelinoe Registered User regular
    Target also seems to have decent sales on Disney blu-rays sometimes. I got Up on blu-ray for like $20 or so a while ago, so you can try checking there periodically.

• Options
    SaraLunaSaraLuna Registered User regular
    if you don't need them immediately, your best bet is to wait until a new one comes out (so, Brave in november)

the week it comes out, many retailers will have a "buy the new one + buy an old one to get $10-15 off" - target and best buy almost always run this promotion
    also that week, some or all pixar titles will be on sale at various places (usually this stacks with the previous as well)

in addition, disney usually gives out coupons for $5-10 off the new release through the disney movie rewards website. you just have to make a free account.

stacking these promotions, come november you will almost certainly be able to grab [Brave + one other] for $20-25 combined & the various others for $15-20 each.

• Options
    Undead ScottsmanUndead Scottsman Registered User regular
    edited August 2012
    wonderpug wrote:
    Ok, I know the question sounds dumb, but I just set out to complete my Pixar blu-ray collection for my daughter and I'm kind of baffled. Some things are available, some aren't, some things are only available used at high prices, some old movies have a December "in 3d!" release date... ugh. Is this the result of the Disney Vault crap?

I just want to have every Pixar movie, at as reasonable a price as possible, without getting gouged on eBay for something that's getting re-released at normal retail prices in 3 months.

I own:
    Cars 1
    Ratatouille
    Wall*E
    The collection of shorts

I want:
    Everything else

If someone could spell out in dum-dum language what I should buy now off Amazon, or now off ebay, or wait for an impending re-release, I would be most appreciative. Buying new would be preferable but I'm not opposed to used.

EDIT: Wait, nevermind, I misread your question.

Undead Scottsman on
  • Options
    Nova_C wrote: »
    Finding Nemo's blu-ray release was held back because of the 3D re-release in theaters (SO giving Disney the bird on this one).

Ah, so Nemo has never yet been out on blu-ray? I think that was a big source of my confusion.

• Options
    Nova_CNova_C I have the need The need for speedRegistered User regular
    wonderpug wrote: »
    Nova_C wrote: »

Ah, so Nemo has never yet been out on blu-ray? I think that was a big source of my confusion.

It was originally scheduled for blu-ray release in 2009 and never made it without a word from Disney.

Then I saw an ad for 3D Finding Nemo and I knew exactly what happened. Never before has so much foul language been associated with Disney. :P

• Options
    Brainiac 8Brainiac 8 Don't call me Shirley... Registered User regular
    Truthfully I joined the Disney bluray club just to upgrade my pixar movies to blu.

3DS Friend Code - 1032-1293-2997
    Nintendo Network ID - Brainiac_8
    PSN - Brainiac_8
    Steam - http://steamcommunity.com/id/BRAINIAC8/
    Add me!
  • Options
    Brainiac 8 wrote: »
    Truthfully I joined the Disney bluray club just to upgrade my pixar movies to blu.
    Is that a DVD to blu ray trade-in program?

• Options
    MichaelLCMichaelLC In what furnace was thy brain? ChicagoRegistered User regular
    wonderpug wrote: »
    Brainiac 8 wrote: »
    Is that a DVD to blu ray trade-in program?

I think they might mean Disney's Columbia House.

• Options
    Brainiac 8Brainiac 8 Don't call me Shirley... Registered User regular
    It's just one of the many ways to buy and/or order blu rays, I don't think they trade in. I now keep the dvds in my daughter's room and the blurays in the main family room. They usually have some great deals such as buying one at full price and 40-50% off the blurays after that. So I paid around 14.00 for the majority of my pixar blurays. Just be careful as if you're not careful you can spend a lot without realizing it. :P

Here's the link, and it's where I got them all.

https://disneymovieclub.go.com/webapp/wcs/stores/servlet/AcquisitionBrowseView?catalogId=10051&categoryId=10074&langId=-1&storeId=10001&krypto=ZeZVxxGUjD3WwY5ktrmCILSCVpeuPd2+0VrW9Xtzcw6GJOfK8knLjbQEH7xyDKkhtk8PPd2Id0ok 4wetjw3rQA==&ddkey=https:DMCCategoryBrowseView

3DS Friend Code - 1032-1293-2997
    Nintendo Network ID - Brainiac_8
    PSN - Brainiac_8
    Steam - http://steamcommunity.com/id/BRAINIAC8/
    Add me!