As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/

MOTW 08/22/2012 - Not a bad day for The Rogues.

UltimateInfernoUltimateInferno Registered User regular
edited August 2012 in Graphic Violence
The Flash #12 has Manupal back on art finally, and their Rogue arc starts to conclude / payoff. They've really started hitting their stride writing-wise. And the conclusion is next week!
6dtSk.jpg

9ccsB.jpg

BtPWM.jpg

Ultimate Comics The Ultimates #14 other than the two artists (and TG3 being straight ew), this issue was great. Humphries is nailing the characters pretty well, and loved the pacing of this issue (and the running against time bit). Also, yay more Anthony!
Bf1CS.jpg

um7Xj.jpg

ecd5d.jpg

Amazing Spider-Man #692 was streets ahead already from the previous arc. Though 100% sure where slott will take Alpha (MOST POWERFUL PERSON EVER aside), the last page reveal though :D.
fNzlw.jpg

4RPwG.jpg

r9tqR.jpg

Batman Inc #03 I really like the use of panels in the last two pages, Redbird makes his own rules.
U7GM4.jpg

WWX5d.jpg

3Y1Fu.jpg

"Ride or Die?" asked Goku

"Ride or Die" confirmed Dominic Toretto, as they took off to find the Dragon Balls in hopes of reviving their friend Sonic
UltimateInferno on

• TexiKenTexiKen Dammit! That fish really got me!Registered User regular
    Uncanny X-Men #17, did you know Betsy is a ninja? Plus the final fate of Sinister:
    xmenuncanny17a.jpg

xmenuncanny17b.jpg

xmenuncanny17c.jpg

xmenuncanny17d.jpg

xmenuncanny17e.jpg

Rocketeer #1, it's not filled with swashbuckling airborne (yet) stuff but it's a good start for a mini, as the Man tries to keep Cliff down, man. It's the kind of book that suits Samnee more than DD does, to be honest.
    rocketeer1a.jpg

• jkylefultonjkylefulton Squid...or Kid? NNID - majpellRegistered User regular
    Scalped #60 (the final issue) was a damn good way to end the series.

tOkYVT2.jpg
  • TurambarTurambar Independent Registered User regular
    edited August 2012
    Secret Avengers #30. Ant-Men Vindicated
    [Cool page goes here]
    Evil Grady gives Venom a much needed assist versus Tasky

[Awesome]
    Pym don't get no respect, I tell ya

secretavengers30_3.png
    secretavengers30_4.png

Just one long MotW from start to end

Turambar on
    Steam: turamb | Origin: Turamb | 3DS: 3411-1109-4537 | NNID: Turambar | Warframe(PC): Turamb
  • VermisVermis Registered User regular
    Gotta put SA on my pull list.

So... what's the definition of an Alpha-level threat in the 616?

rulksig.jpg
    Vermis wrote: »
    This is the first one

Here's what Reed has to say on the matter:
    ASM_692_1.png

ASM_692_2.png

Steam: turamb | Origin: Turamb | 3DS: 3411-1109-4537 | NNID: Turambar | Warframe(PC): Turamb
  • BlankZoeBlankZoe Registered User regular
    You're gonna have to trim those SA pages duder. The limit is 3 pages per book

CYpGAPn.png
    I'll remove the tags

I mean I'm not a mod so Geebs obviously can say Blank shut up at any time

but I am pretty sure linking them is the same thing, the whole point is so we don't become Scans Daily which is of questionable legality, and posting 6 pages of a 20-22 page book that came out today is kinda iffy

CYpGAPn.png
    Alright, alright

The pages are super good, though, so everyone should go buy the comic

Oh yeah, Secret Avengers is fantastic

Also, my MOTW is Hulk: Season One:
    The book opens with Banner telling his account of the bomb accident, and he has already Hulked out. The difference is he only transforms at night, and Hulk is decidedly smarter than he typically is in his early days. Also kind of a dick, but not to children. Also of note, there are several brief flashbacks to when Bruce's dad killed his mom in a fit of rage and told Bruce to never tell anyone or he would kill him too.

Hulk ends up making a deal with THEM(AIM which has been renamed for some reason) for a serum that would let him become the dominant personality. He later destroys their facility after discovering their experiments are all focused around using children as test subjects.

zgVnm.jpg?1
    V9t48.jpg?1
    gQsUy.jpg?1
    nhBSa.jpg?1
    As Hulk injected it while he was the dominant one, it made him dumber and easier to control/develop. Thus, he becomes the classic Savage Hulk we all know and loses his bitter anger from Bruce's dad.

The art is fucking gorgeous and FVL writes the hell out of Banner, as well as Betty and Thunderbolt Ross(who is written like Military JK Simmons-as-J Jonah Jameson). I highly recommend it.

I'm posting around 6 pages, but the book is also a 120 page graphic novel, so it is a little different. If Geebs wants me to trim it down I will.

CYpGAPn.png
  • Linespider5Linespider5 ALL HAIL KING KILLMONGER Registered User regular
    Ok, ok. I'll get Batman Inc #3

I love it when Batman stories involve storming a castle.

• DrIanMalcolmDrIanMalcolm Registered User regular
    Jordie Bellaire did the colors for Hulk: Season One and man, she is the best

Yeah, the book was just really well made overall

FVL did a great job modernizing and streamlining Hulk's origin while still trying new things and having fun

Tom Fowler's pencils and inks are super fluid and have hella emotion

and the colors just add so much impact, I mean just look at that scene I posted! Good work Bellaire.

CYpGAPn.png
  • MunchMunch Registered User regular
    Some of this stuff's from last week, since I didn't have time to get to the comic shop until today.

Thor: Unkillable Thunder Christ #1; Wherein a real deity won't die for you, but he will kill for you.
    Stop me if you've heard this one. Thor is an oafish brat who must learn humility.

VvM3n.jpg

Banished to Earth, he winds up tussling with some local thugs, which attracts the attention of the Blackest Terror.

a0oBF.jpg

Friendships are born, lessons are learned, Gods are defied, and one is de-deified. This was definitely a cool little surprise, which jumped right off the shelf at me. It's not available on Comixology yet, but your local shop can probably order it, if you ask nicely.

The story feels a little compressed, as this is apparently just a one-shot, and the lettering's a bit haphazard, but it's exactly the kind of weird little story I dig.

Planetoid #3; Silas and his band of refugees set to work building a stable society. But, some people don't respect borders.
    4tcSD.jpg

NUd75.jpg

I'm loving this book, you guys. This issue pulled together a disparate cast of characters, showed how they'd build a society, and set up a plot that I thought would certainly end one way, only to have Ken Garing throw a curve ball on the last page. Seriously, this is a book you should be reading.

X-Factor #242; Rictor and Darwin square off over the fate of Rahne's son.
    uDhHx.jpg

I so love that middle panel. You can practically hear the castanets and trumpet from The Good, the Bad, and the Ugly. Additionally, it's worth pointing out how well Peter David's rehabilitated Rictor, as a character. He took him from being a goofy C-list joke, to a character I genuinely like, and am invested in.

I will say though, it's almost a shame that he got his powers back, just because I miss seeing him as the normal guy, who'd still throw down against superpowered types.

• AntimatterAntimatter Devo Was Right Gates of SteelRegistered User regular
    Transformers: More Than Meets the Eye #8 continued to develop new characters, a Decepticon counterpart to the Lost Light
    Grimlock and the Scavengers fought the terrifying Decepticon Justice Division
    this happened
    Cybernought_whos_afraid_of_the_djd.jpg
    also, James Roberts finally explained why a group of robots who claim to have fought for justice would stand under the banner of a faction called the Decepticons
    Megatron's most famous rallying cry was "You are being deceived." The Decepticons were those who had been misled by the Senate and were taking back the planet for themselves.

• BrainleechBrainleech 機知に富んだコメントはここにあります Registered User regular
    Um I freaked out and then looked somehow i picked up batman Inc 2 or 3 weeks ago?

And Planetoid is one I wil probally get with Saga

• GankGank Registered User regular
    Munch wrote: »

Planetoid #3; Silas and his band of refugees set to work building a stable society. But, some people don't respect borders.
    4tcSD.jpg

NUd75.jpg

I'm loving this book, you guys. This issue pulled together a disparate cast of characters, showed how they'd build a society, and set up a plot that I thought would certainly end one way, only to have Ken Garing throw a curve ball on the last page. Seriously, this is a book you should be reading.

So I decided to pick up the first issue on Comixology cos it was free and it was mysterious enough to make me buy issue 2, which didn't grip me as much. But still decided to get issue 3 and its just fantastic, the omelette scene made it for me. And the art is consistently gorgeous. I'm hooked on this shit now, more money I don't have that I now have to spend on comics.

galactussig-1.jpg
  • HenslerHensler Registered User regular
    Munch wrote: »
    Some of this stuff's from last week, since I didn't have time to get to the comic shop until today.

Thor: Unkillable Thunder Christ #1; Wherein a real deity won't die for you, but he will kill for you.
    Stop me if you've heard this one. Thor is an oafish brat who must learn humility.

VvM3n.jpg

Banished to Earth, he winds up tussling with some local thugs, which attracts the attention of the Blackest Terror.

a0oBF.jpg

Friendships are born, lessons are learned, Gods are defied, and one is de-deified. This was definitely a cool little surprise, which jumped right off the shelf at me. It's not available on Comixology yet, but your local shop can probably order it, if you ask nicely.

The story feels a little compressed, as this is apparently just a one-shot, and the lettering's a bit haphazard, but it's exactly the kind of weird little story I dig.

Whoa... not sure how I missed this one on all my Indie comic and Kickstarter crawls, but definitely need to order an issue.

• UltimateInfernoUltimateInferno Registered User regular
    Brainleech wrote: »
    Um I freaked out and then looked somehow i picked up batman Inc 2 or 3 weeks ago?

And Planetoid is one I wil probally get with Saga

It was delayed a month due to the DKR shootings, but had already shipped to shops, so some shops sold it anyways.

"Ride or Die?" asked Goku

"Ride or Die" confirmed Dominic Toretto, as they took off to find the Dragon Balls in hopes of reviving their friend Sonic
  • VermisVermis Registered User regular
    edited August 2012
    I look at that Thor thing and I get the feeling that it just gives the guy a slightly bigger audience than standing in the street, dropping his pants and shouting "Look at me! Look at me!"
    Turambar wrote: »
    This is the first one

Here's what Reed has to say on the matter:

Thanks Turambar. I had a flick through the issue at the store, too. He... don't explain it too well, do he?
    He might as well have said "Hulk and Sentry are Shammalammadingdong threats. Alpha is the first Scoobydoobydoowop threat." Or will Alpha be so powerful that he shoots out the end of the greek alphabet and ends up back at the start again? And what about other beings more powerful than Hulk or Sentry? What's Galactus? Lambda threat? Lalalalalalabamba threat?
    What does it mean, Reed? Context. Context!

On a less whiny note, I went and got Hulk: Season One after Blankzilla posted those scans. (Though it helped that Forbidden Planet had 20% off GNs and trades) Terrific stuff. The art is excellent - reminds me a bit of Joe Kubert (RIP) and... someone else. The story...
    There are bits I could take or leave. The "All we need is wuv!" scene is a bit of shoehorned schmaltz I could've skipped, and "I used to crave weed. Now I crave... gamma!" sounds like it's from a rejected Captain Planet script. And some of the dialogue. "As if!" Man, you could be on Saved by the Bell with those zingers!
    But those are just a couple of little things. Overall it kept me hooked. The Hulk's expression when he finds out what the seedlings are for is devastating and hilarious at the same time. (a little bit Ren and Stimpy) I also liked the payoff with the clues and discussion and Hulk's origin. Angry, violent, despising 'puny weaklings', lashing out when he doesn't get his way... The Hulk is his father's son! And not just because of one mutant gene. Brilliant. It may be a screwy reason, but after a few years of 'poor little Hulk boy' throwing worldbreaking tantrums and sulking...

... it made me like the Hulk again, after a long time. MotW.

Vermis on
    rulksig.jpg
  • GaslightGaslight Registered User regular
    Or will Alpha be so powerful that he shoots out the end of the greek alphabet and ends up back at the start again?

Yeah, for the system to make any sense, an Alpha-level threat would have to be, I don't know...me, armed with a nerf gun.

• ElderlycrawfishElderlycrawfish Registered User regular
    So let me get this straight... Reed found those particles long ago and just said "Welp, not gonna touch that"?

Did he not think that somebody else wouldn't figure it out eventually? I mean ordinarily you can't stop someone from discovering a thing but its Reed frigging Richards, he could have built some doohickey to lock those particles from existing or something.

• nightmarennynightmarenny Registered User regular
    So let me get this straight... Reed found those particles long ago and just said "Welp, not gonna touch that"?

Did he not think that somebody else wouldn't figure it out eventually? I mean ordinarily you can't stop someone from discovering a thing but its Reed frigging Richards, he could have built some doohickey to lock those particles from existing or something.

Oh you know. Posted in a scientific journal.

Quire.jpg
  • Mr PinkMr Pink I got cats for youRegistered User regular

Oh you know. Posted in a scientific journal.

Or maybe gathered up a few of the other 'good' super-brains and talked about it.