As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

[Marvel RPG] A Tale of Two Worlds

• Options
    tzeentchlingtzeentchling Doctor of Rocks OaklandRegistered User regular
    "Obscura flies along behind Ghost Rider, but since he's in such a hurry she finds herself falling behind. Suddenly she's near-blinded by a bright burst of energy - off in the distance she sees a small group of people clustering around a single figure.

'No doubt an escapee,' Obscura thinks. The mental thought comes through from Ghost Rider:

Go and check out that explosion. We will meet up later. Good luck.

She smiles at that last bit, which comes through mentally in Johnny's voice, and then veers off to her right towards the platform."

• Options
    SneaksSneaks Registered User regular
    "Aw, SHIELD let him keep his little outfit," Carmen smirked. "You wanna go first, Jake? I'm still not entirely sure I get how this part works…" She motioned to the array of dice before them.

• Options
    Suicide SlydeSuicide Slyde Haunts your dreams of mountains sunk below the seaRegistered User regular
    Paul chuckles to himself, "A dragon huh? Not yet, David's a man of science... practical. As he reaches the water, David shapeshifts into a hawk and takes off towards the Raft as fast as he can."

• Options
    GrogGrog My sword is only steel in a useful shape.Registered User regular
    "Alright let's do this." Jake starts scanning his sheet and picking up dice. "So Telesto's gonna appear in a flash behind Nefaria and tangle him up, dragging him back to the ground."
    The dice clatter across the table and Jake hisses through his teeth when they come to a stop. "That didn't go so well..."
    D6 for solo
    D8 for Transcendent Shaman
    2D8 for Stretching (Unleashed SFX)
    Create Complication:
    1d8: 5
    1d8: 6
    1d8: 1
    1d6: 3

Total of 11 and effect of D6 to create the 'Tangled Up' complication for Nefaria.

If this action fails add D8 to the doom pool.

• Options
    jdarksunjdarksun Struggler VARegistered User regular
    Hey guys, sorry I have been MIA for 36 hours. Updates tonight! At the beach with my kid, gotta be dad for a while longer today.

• Options
    Suicide SlydeSuicide Slyde Haunts your dreams of mountains sunk below the seaRegistered User regular
    This is acceptable. Work has been a bitch anyway. Things should slow down for me after Labor Day, on account of the child being at school and nobody will want to buy sweet lady soda anymore.

• Options
    edited August 2012
    I'll activate the opportunity to add a die to the Doom Pool. +1 PP to Telesto.

Nefaria attempts to evade the attack!

d8 Solo + d4 Mastermind (step up Doom Pool die) + d10 Superhuman Speed + d8 Combat Expert

Count Nefaria attempts to dodge Telesto's tangling attack: 1d8+1d10+1d4+1d8 13

Results 1d8+1d10+1d4+1d8: 13 [1d8=3] [1d10=3] [1d4=4] [1d8=3]

7 (d10+d4) w/ d8 effect die < 11 w/ d6 effect die. Count Nefaria now has the d4 Complication "Tangled Up".

Doom Pool:
    d6, d6, d8

"What?! Where did you -" Count Nefaria attempts to dodge out of Telesto's elongated grasp, and almost succeedes - but misjudges the distance, and wounds up snagged.

@Grog
    You pick who goes next.

jdarksun on
  • Options
    Go Nellie go!

• Options
    edited August 2012
    Nellie's modus operandi stated that if an array of people were pointing guns at her, she's already failed. But there was an obvious opportunity here with this Nefaria character. "Strike hard and strike first," the trainers always said. "End it before they can hit you back." Nellie knew that would mean cutting loose in front of this firing squad. 'Don'tshootmedon'tshootmedon'tshootme...'

She just couldn't let loose. Not like this.

Set Nerfaria's brain alight
    • Buddy (Telesto): D8 [5]
    • Distinction (Nervous Nellie): D4 (Gain one PP) [1]
    • Power (Psychic Blast): D10 [3]
    • SFX (Unleashed): D10 [1]
    TOTAL [8]

EDIT: Default Effect Die: D4 [2]

"Eeeeugh." Carmen's mouth contorted into an exaggerated frown as the die came to a stop. "Okay, um, I guess SHIELD should go next. Someone needs to take advantage of Jake's tangling."

Sneaks on
  • Options
    Add a d8 to the Doom Pool, Nellie gets +1 PP.

Nefaria's reaction:

d8 Solo + d4 Mastermind (step up Doom Pool die) + d6 from the Doom Pool

Count Nefaria attempts to dodge Nellie's Mind Blast: 1d8+1d4+1d6 7

Results 1d8+1d4+1d6: 7 [1d8=3] [1d4=1] [1d6=3]

6 (d8 + d6) w/ default d4 effect die. Nefaria takes d4 (Emotional? Mental?) Stress.

Nellie can exploit a Watcher-rolled 1.

Doom Pool:
    d8, d8, d8

"More trickery? Nefaria will crush you like bugs!" Despite his bluster, sweat began to dot the Count's brow.

The SHIELD agents sprang into action. "Langtry, call it in!" Rubens barked out as he raised his rifle. "Suppressing fire!"

"Unit 37 reporting metahumans out of confinement! Requesting Super-Agent reinforcement!"
    SHIELD Agents attempt to add Suppressed Complication to Nefaria

d8 Expert SHIELD Agent + d8 Team + d6 Small Arms

Attempting to Suppress Nefaria: 1d8+1d8+1d6 11

Results 1d8+1d8+1d6: 11 [1d8=6] [1d8=3] [1d6=2]

9 (d8, d6) w/ d6 Effect die.

Nefaria Reacts:

d8 Solo + d4 Mastermind (step up Doom Pool die) + d10 Superhuman Durability

Nefaria Reacts to Suppression: 1d8+1d4+1d10 11

10 (d10, d4) w/ default d4 Effect die.

Doom Pool:
    d8, d8, d10

The floating man makes no attempt to dodge the incoming bullets. "Guns? Against Nefaria?" He makes a dissmissive gesture. "Flee, insects, before I crush you."

@tzeentchling is up.

• Options
    edited August 2012
    'Hmm, okay," ponders Lucy. 'Obscura's going to be a bit cautious and try to determine what's going on as she approaches. She'll use her Telepathy to sense the intents of everyone on the platform. Probably she and Nellie would sense each other automatically.'

Lucy thinks for a second. 'Let's count this as a support action against the doom pool then, with the support dice going to Nellie.'
    Telepathic Support/Recon

d10 Buddy (Nellie) + d8 Telepathy + d8 Distinction (Excellent Scout)

Support vs Doom Pool: 1d10+1d8+1d8 18 [1d10=4] [1d8=7] [1d8=7]

I'll consider the total to be the two d8s for a 14 and the effect die to be a d10.

tzeentchling on
  • Options
    GrimmyTOAGrimmyTOA Registered User regular
    Pssst @tzeentchling: Who's next?

• Options
    I thought the Watcher had to roll the Doom Pool to see if my support action was successful first. But next PC would probably be Dr. David/Paul.

• Options
    Doom Pool opposition to Lucy's Support: 1d8+1d8+1d10 16

Results 1d8+1d8+1d10: 16 [1d8=1] [1d8=6] [1d10=9]

15 (d8 + d10) w/ default d4 effect. @tzeentchling can activate a Watcher opportunity.

• Options
    Btw @jdarksun you can use semi colons with orokos so the rolls are kept separate. Makes it easier to format straight from the BBcode.

• Options
    Ah, awesome, thanks! It'll make the copy/paste process on the iPad easier.

(I brought my netbook, but the "s", "right arrow", and "down arrow" keys are broken. /sigh.

• Options
    Curse you for rolling so high on the d10!

So, I can spend my PP right now to activate the Watcher opportunity. I'm not quite sure what I would do with it, though.

First, regardless, my support action fails, and you can choose to use the d4 effect die to give Nellie a complication of some kind - mental stress I guess?

I think the best way of using it would be to add a resource die to one of my specialties - Mystic, most likely. It would represent some very useful knowledge and last the length of the scene. Maybe some sort of weak point of Nefaria?

• Options
    @tzeentchling
    Yeah, let's call it "Ego Backlash". Though he boasts no psychic or magical defenses, his ego is staggering, and Obscura wasn't ready for it.

And that can be the Resource you learned from it. Nefaria may seem virtually invincible and invulnerable to kinetic-based attacks and energy weapons, but he has no protection from less physical sources.

Also, don't forget that Nefaria has a d4 Complication that you all can add to your Dice Pool!

I think you said @Suicide Slyde was up next?

• Options
    Yup! And that sounds good.

• Options
    "Alright, I have a plan."

"While flying over to the Raft, the doctor notices a commotion on the helipad, SHIELD agents and others trying to take down some loon on the helipad. 'Looks like they need some help,' David thinks to himself. He angles his body towards the fight and begins his mental calculations. 'If I take on this angle and transform into a gorilla right before impact then I should hit him with enough force to drive him straight into the ground.'"
    Smash Nefaria in the face as a gorilla
    D6 Team + D8 Brilliant (calculating telemetry) + D10 Shapeshift + D4 Complication
    1d6: 5 [1d6=5]
    1d8: 2 [1d8=2]
    1d10: 1 [1d10=1]
    1d4: 3 [1d4=3]
    d10 set aside
    8 (d6, d4) w/d8 as effect

Other
    did I do that right... I think I did that right my head is spinning, doing too many things at once.

• Options
    edited August 2012
    @Suicide Slyde
    Looks right to me! Sorry for the delay, my kid is sick and I had to take him to urgent care. Nothing better than having a sick toddler while at the beach on vacation!

Activate opportunity: add a d6 to the Doom Pool, Dr. David Row gains +1 PP.

Nefaria's reaction:
    d8 Solo + d4 Mastermind (step up die) + d10 Superhuman Durability

Nefaria Reacts to Dr. Row's Shifting attack: 1d8 8 1d4 2 1d10 6, 12 w/ d10 effect.

Doom Pool:
    d8, d8, d8, d10

Dr. Row's calcuations were spot on - he hit Nefaria exactly as planned. Unfortunately, Dr. Row did not plan for the Count's ability to shrug off nearly any physical attack. David might have hit a brick wall for all the effect it had on Nefaria, and for the effect it had on David's now brusied ribs.

Frowning, Kitty took a moment to consult her notes. "Hm, Nefaria seems to be giving you more trouble than I expected. One of the things that might help is shutting down one of his powers. For example, you could shutdown his Superhuman Durability at the cost of adding a d6 to the Doom Pool. You'd have to make the situation work, though - it says his Limit is "Ionic Depletion". I really have no idea what that means, but it seems like maybe grounding him or something could work - like with electricity. Or insulating him, somehow?"
    Suicide Slyde - who's up next?

jdarksun on
  • Options
    I would note, in the comics, Nefaria has single-handedly battled the Avengers and the X-men on multiple occasions. Canonically, it took the Avengers, the Thunderbolts, and his daughter Madam Masque with a unique item to stop him and put him in the Raft last time.

• Options
    "Guess it'd also help if we could roll a little higher. There's only meant to be a single 1 on each dice right? Kitty's definitely got these rigged..." Jake makes a show of counting the numbers on his dice.
    May have missed it, but what scene distinctions are there? I'm thinking we could plug him into the mains and drain power that way?

• Options
    What if we were to toss him into the river? His durability wouldn't help him If Saar grabbed him by the ankle and heaved, would it?

Also, I hope jdarksunson is feeling better soon.

• Options
    Paul looks around the table. "Well bro how about you give it a shot?"

@GrimmyTOA
    You're next!

• Options
    edited August 2012
    I will point out, ionic != electric. We're not exactly going to short him out here in the water. Mental/mystical attacks will probably be our best bet, possibly also Saar's neurotoxin? Mental attacks could potentially shut off access to his abilities, especially if he has a Conscious Activation limit.

tzeentchling on
  • Options
    I guess it depends if Nefaria's ions are positively or negatively charged. I'm pretty sure the ions in salt water are negative, so oh my god I'm trying to apply real world chemistry to the Marvel Universe.

My kid has some sort of Strep-like throat infection, and a fever of 102-103. He's on two staggered fever reducers to try and keep it down, plus an anti-biotic. He'll be fine in a few days, but until then, it's cranky pants any time his fever spikes.

"Oops, I forgot - it was raining." Kitty blushes and adjusts her glasses on her nose. "With a rumble of thunder, and a clash of lightning, rain begins to fall all around you. 'Raining' is now a scene distinction.

"Um, since I'm no chem major, I'm open to any reasonable idea on how to run Nefaria out of a little power. Pitch something, let's see if we can make it stick."

• Options
    edited August 2012
    jdarksun wrote: »
    I guess it depends if Nefaria's ions are positively or negatively charged. I'm pretty sure the ions in salt water are negative, so oh my god I'm trying to apply real world chemistry to the Marvel Universe.

My kid has some sort of Strep-like throat infection, and a fever of 102-103. He's on two staggered fever reducers to try and keep it down, plus an anti-biotic. He'll be fine in a few days, but until then, it's cranky pants any time his fever spikes.

Game Related
    Science, why does it always have to be science?!

Kid Related
    Been there, my own had a strep infection that started out as "Ow my throat hurts." and turned into "Go to the hospital now!" in less than 6 hours

Suicide Slyde on
  • Options
    "Hmm." James' eyes flicker down at the take for a moment. "This might be more of a physics problem than a chemistry one. Anyway, I assume that this prison has a way to de-ionize Nefaria somewhere. Maybe if we drive him back down into his hole we can find it. Or we get him struck by lightning and the polarities something something. Anyone have a huge pile of rubber lying around?" He trails off with a shrug.
    On my phone. Dice rolling Asap, but more ideas welcome.

• Options
    edited August 2012
    "Well, I'm with Lucy," Carmen offered, stretching. "I should just roll better, specifically with an eye to shut down access to his powers."

Sneaks on
  • Options
    Paul looks around the room, "Rubber... right. Well David can shapeshift into rubber. But what do we need a rubber cage, the world's largest bouncy ball? I'm not even totally sure what he can pull off. Could we try draining him, like a battery, connect him to a generator or something and leave the power switch on? But Carmen and Lucy are right, if we want to put this guy down for the count then we need his powers turned off for a moment."

• Options
    edited August 2012
    "Okay, so I think Saar is just going to pick Nefaria up and smash him face first into that transformer box behind him. If the electricity doesn't overload Nefaria and short him out, maybe the grounding apparatus will drain him dry. Even if not, Saar is strong enough that it might hurt Nefaria anyway."

James shakes the dice. "Here goes nothing."
    Results here.
    Team (d6) =4
    Strength (d10) UNLEASHED (so counts as a d12. If the action fails, add a d10 to the doom pool) =9
    Always Gets His Man (d8) =5
    Combat Master (2d8) =5,3
    Tangled up (d4) =3
    Spend 1PP for a (d8) Stunt -- Swing Away. Pick up Nefaria and smash him into the scenery, hoping to drain or short his powers. =3

EDITED due to tzeentchling's help.

Taking the 9 and a 5 for effect (14 total) and leaving an effect of d8.

Does the stunt count as a separate effect at d8, or is it just bundled up into the general effect? Did I need a stunt to do this at all?

@jdarksun

GrimmyTOA on
  • Options
    edited August 2012
    Grimmy - doesn't matter how many dice you roll, you take the two highest for your total, IIRC, then keep one of the other dice for the Effect die. So I'd probably go with the d12 and one of the d8 (5s) as the total for 14, then take the other d8 as the effect die.

tzeentchling on
  • Options
    edited August 2012
    I knew I had done something wrong. Thanks tzeentchling. Edited my original post.

GrimmyTOA on
  • Options
    edited August 2012
    Double post. Sorry.

GrimmyTOA on
  • Options
    Grimmy - doesn't matter how many dice you roll, you take the two highest for your total, IIRC, then keep one of the other dice for the Effect die. So I'd probably go with the d12 and one of the d8 (5s) as the total for 14, then take the other d8 as the effect die.
    I don't think you have to take the two highest necessarily, just pick two and then the effect, but I would pick the same dice regardless.

• Options
    @GrimmyToA
    You don't need the Stunt to do that; attempting to grab Nefaria and smash him into the scenery is your description of intent. Creating the Stunt adds a d8 to your Dice Pool; it isn't automatically added to your result. If you wanted to add a die to your result (like that second 5), you could spend a Plot Point to do that instead (or as well, if you have two). Which would give you a result of 19 w/ d8 effect, and the option of triggering Nefaria's Ion Depletion Limit at the cost of a d6 to the Doom Pool.

• Options
    jdarksun wrote: »
    @GrimmyToA
    You don't need the Stunt to do that; attempting to grab Nefaria and smash him into the scenery is your description of intent. Creating the Stunt adds a d8 to your Dice Pool; it isn't automatically added to your result. If you wanted to add a die to your result (like that second 5), you could spend a Plot Point to do that instead (or as well, if you have two). Which would give you a result of 19 w/ d8 effect, and the option of triggering Nefaria's Ion Depletion Limit at the cost of a d6 to the Doom Pool.
    Alright, in that case (if you're okay with the switch) I'd rather spend my PP in the manner you suggested. I'll add the second die, take the result of 19 with d8 effect, and trigger Nefaria's Ion Depletion. Sorry for the confusion on my part.

James flushes, obviously embarrassed. "Sorry, guys. I swear I'm not a moron."

• Options
    Kitty smiles and makes a dismissive gesture. "It's really no problem, James. This is your first time playing this game - maybe playing any RPG? - and an acclimation period is to be expected."

@GrimmyToA
    Doom Pool: +d6, Activate Ion Depletion - I'm assuming James wants to shutdown Superhuman Durability?

Nefaria Reacts -
    d8 Solo, d8 Mastermind, d8 Combat Expert
    Nefaria Reacts to Saar's Action: 1d8 1 1d8 8 1d8 5

Doesn't matter. 12 w/ d4 effect, which is 7 less than Saar's 19. His effect die is stepped up to a d10.

Doom Pool:
    d6, d8 x3, d10

With a magnificent crash, Saar slams Count Nefaria into a nearby transformer. The device erupts in a shower of gold and blue sparks, and the platforms lights flicker on for the barest moment before dying again.
    Grimmy, pick what kind of Stress you'd like to inflict on Nefaria (probably not mental). Then decide who goes next.

• Options
    James shrugs. "Yeah, I'll sort it out. Onwards, for justice! Er... Jake, you can take a turn."
    Do we get an opportunity due to Nefaria's roll of a 1 there?

At any rate, lets inflict physical stress on Nefaria (unless emotional stress for being made to look like a rag doll is more appropriate, har har etc), shut down his Durability, and give Telestro a shot.

@Grog