As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

ParaNorman: Ghosts n' Stuff

2»

• Options
    wanderingwandering Russia state-affiliated media Registered User regular
    Ed Wood, Edward Scissorhands, Beetlejuice, Pee Wee's Big Adventure, Sweeney Todd...

Tim Burton movies are great.

(Except for when they are terrible.)

• Options
    Vann DirasVann Diras Registered User regular
    the sunglasses on the back of the head get me every time

• Options
    Ms DapperMs Dapper Yuri Librarian Registered User regular
    Alice in Wonderland kinda soured me on Tim Burton. Willing to give Frakenweenie a chance though.

2ohWien.png
    Tumblr | Twitter PSN: misterdapper Av by Satellite_09
  • Options
    GSMGSM Registered User regular
    The face frames were 3D modeled, animated, and printed?

Then why not just do the whole movie in CG and be done with it? :?

We'll get back there someday.
  • Options
    BlankZoeBlankZoe Registered User regular
    Because it looked beautiful in motion with its' hybrid of stop-motion and CGI effects?

CYpGAPn.png
  • Options
    Spectre-xSpectre-x Rating: AWESOME YESRegistered User regular
    GSM wrote: »
    The face frames were 3D modeled, animated, and printed?

Then why not just do the whole movie in CG and be done with it? :?

CG is a different medium from stop-motion and it looks and moves differently in a way that computers these days cannot yet replicate.

Also characters also have arms, legs, torsos. Not just faces.

• Options
    edited August 2012
    Honestly, Flushed Away did it just fine.

All I'm saying is if you aren't confident in your hand-sculpting to do it the way George Pal did, then just do it in CG.

GSM on
  • Options
    That is super dumb because the movie looks beautiful!

Who cares if it isn't the traditional way

CYpGAPn.png
  • Options
    oh god

• Options
    DruhimDruhim Registered User, ClubPA regular
    Yeah, that's a really dumb criticism of the film. The end result looks fantastic.

belruelotterav-1.jpg
  • Options
    Yeah, it was great! I went in to the moving having read nothing about it, and it took me a couple minutes to determine the movie wasn't CG (since the character designs looked a lot like the ones from the all-cg trailers that ran before it, and the lighting in the TV room scene was weird), but I couldn't figure out how they did the faces. You could see the texture changes from shape replacement, but all the squash and stretch on top of shape changes made me think they had to have made each shape out of something pliable with gears behind it to pull parts of it in different directions, probably controlled by a keyhole like the eyebrows in Corpse Bride. Finding out that they just animated it in a computer instead was disappointing.

• Options
    They didn't though.

belruelotterav-1.jpg
  • Options
    "just animated it in a computer" => "just pre-animated the mouth movements in a computer"

• Options
    Why? It's still animation, and much, much more expressive than what you see in the Corpse Bride or whatever.

• Options
    You really don't get how that's not the same as animating it in a computer? Like, you really don't get how CGI doesn't look the same as the faces printed out in 3d forms?

belruelotterav-1.jpg
  • Options
    There's no "just" about that.

• Options
    I mean jesus

this movie took 3 years to film

they weren't really cutting corners to make it faster

CYpGAPn.png
  • Options
    Druhim wrote: »
    You really don't get how that's not the same as animating it in a computer? Like, you really don't get how CGI doesn't look the same as the faces printed out in 3d forms?

He might be talking about how they "just" did the mouth movements digitally and printed those faces out because it's "easier"

there are programs that automatically lip-synch animations

but I doubt they were used here since the mouths also have to conform to the character's moods and facial expressions, and there is no easy way to do that.

Or he thinks digital 3D animation (which was used to create the faces which were then printed out) is somehow a lesser form of animation.

Any way you cut it, it's really, really dumb and shows a pretty severe misunderstanding of animation as a medium.

• Options
    Hmmm, this is a weird reaction. You guys are way too concerned about what makes me mildly disappointed.

• Options
    It's not a weird reaction, though. Your disappointment seems to stem from you considering a certain form of animation lesser than another, even though the result is exactly the same, if not better.

And if you don't think that, you didn't do a very good job at communicating what you do think.

• Options
    Muse Among MenMuse Among Men Suburban Bunny Princess? Its time for a new shtick Registered User regular
    Blankzilla wrote: »
    I mean jesus

this movie took 3 years to film

they weren't really cutting corners to make it faster

does this mean the next Laika film is 3 years away?

• Options
    Spectre-x wrote: »
    Your disappointment seems to stem from you considering a certain form of animation lesser than another

Did you read what I said about thinking it was done with gears like Corpse Bride eyebrows? When you're imagining elaborate gear systems and you find it was solid computer-printed plastic, its hard to not feel at least a little disappointed. Still an amazing film, just not one made by tiny magical steampunk fairies. I'm giving my reaction to the featurette, which has nothing to do with the quality of the film itself. Which was awesome.

• Options
    But it's not just computer-printed plastic. A lot of work went into making those faces.

It's still crummy and/or dumb to be disappointed by the amazing techniques they used to create the faces because they didn't happen to literally be magic.

• Options
    3D printers are totally magical. They print stuff out...in 3D!

• Options
    Ravenhpltc24Ravenhpltc24 So Raven Registered User regular
    Wow, I'm really excited by all the positive reviews here. I'm having a hard time separating this one from "Frankenweenie" in my mind which I have very little interest in seeing. But yes, I am convinced. I will see ParaNorman ASAP.

(V) ( ;,,; ) (V)
  • Options
    Vann DirasVann Diras Registered User regular
    this movie

ruled

like a lot!

• Options
    UnbreakableVowUnbreakableVow Registered User regular
    Just saw this

I thought it was just kinda okay until the final act

Then it got awesome fast

• Options
    KochikensKochikens Registered User regular
    oh
    I saw this

and loved it muchly

• Options
    This and Moonrise Kingdom were the best two movies of the summer.