As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

Quantum Conundrum: Dimension-shifting Puzzle goodness.

2»

• Options
    Raiden333Raiden333 Registered User regular
    edited June 2012
    Just beat it. Fucking loved it. I can't say whether or not it's better than Portal, because that's like asking me if I'd rather have a Cookie or an Ice Cream Cone. They're both great treats but in different ways.

Glad I bought the season pass, can't wait for the DLC.

Raiden333 on
    There was a steam sig here. It's gone now.
  • Options
    Local H JayLocal H Jay Registered User regular
    excited to hear it's a good game, now as long as it doesn't go on sale i can patiently wait for the 360 version...

• Options
    Mr_GrinchMr_Grinch Registered User regular
    Does the game work ok with a 360 pad on PC?

Steam: Sir_Grinch
    PSN: SirGrinchX
    Oculus Rift: Sir_Grinch
  • Options
    Mr_Grinch wrote: »
    Does the game work ok with a 360 pad on PC?

Definitely, I switched off between KBM and Gamepad frequently while I played depending on what I was in the mood for using. Don't even have to pause to switch, and the onscreen button prompts will switch between KBM and Gamepad depending on what it last received an input from.

• Options
    StericaSterica Yes Registered User, Moderator mod
    Do they seriously have the DLC achievements listed?

Gonna give me weird OCD

YL9WnCY.png
  • Options
    SciJoSciJo Registered User regular
    Rorus Raz wrote: »
    Do they seriously have the DLC achievements listed?

Gonna give me weird OCD

Yea, that was bugging me too.

Also R&D. I spent like an hour in that damn room before realizing there's no puzzle to solve. I was sad face.

• Options
    So, the "Do a Thing" achievement...
    AHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHH *breath* AHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHH

• Options
    This game is fantastic, enjoying it just as much as Portal. Such a shame it doesn't seem to be getting much recognition.

• Options
    CaedereCaedere S'no regrets BIRDIESRegistered User regular
    edited June 2012
    I like the puzzles more than the ones in Portal, even the ones in co-op Portal 2. Those puzzles are clever and ingenious, but you really don't get the same sense of "HOLY SHIT WOW" that you do from the ones in QC.

Note that 90% of the "HOLY SHIT WOW" factor hits once you get the Slow-Motion Dimension.

One great moment that stands out to me was that I was just fucking around with objects in slo-mo, trying to cool things... and then I did something really awesome. Right after that, I turned to my friend and said, "I really, really hope that the game needs me do that in a later stage in order to solve it."

And, behold, it did. I squealed like a little girl when it happened, too.

What I love most about QC is that the puzzling action feels a lot more free form in a lot of places, and it rewards really cool thinking on behalf of the player. There will be some pretty awesome gameplay videos as a result of this game, because you can do some amazing things if you really try. For example:

The "multiple choice" puzzle late in the Red wing, where you can start with any dimension of your choice. I started with Slo-Mo, grabbed the Fluffy vial behind the fan, and then snagged two safes. I chucked one towards the exit, slowed, and then chucked the other. The big-ass fan that blows to keep shenanigans like that from happening blew the safes right into position over the switches, at which point I dropped the Fluffy dimension and had them both land neatly in place.

Doing that skipped the entire rest of the level and the process of getting the other two dimensions.

I felt like a goddamn genius.

QC is a less polished package than Portal, yes, but there's a lot more potential for honest-to-goodness fun.

Caedere on
    FWnykYl.jpg
  • Options
    azith28azith28 Registered User regular
    It was a very fun puzzler, and im glad it was so unabashidly aware that it took so much from portals theme. (Some of the level titles were obvious).

I was a little dissapointed that the 'flying carpet' became such a common solution near the end of the game, as it seems a bit of a copout once you have done it several times in a row but it still was pretty fun figuring out everything. looking forward to the DLC. did they say when its due out?

Stercus, Stercus, Stercus, Morituri Sum
  • Options
    Undead ScottsmanUndead Scottsman Registered User regular
    I dunno. Personally I had way more "Aha!" moments in Portal 1 than I did in this game. But besides like two puzzles, I found the game pretty straight-forward, surprisingly, so maybe I'm not the best case subject.

• Options
    DeutscherStahlDeutscherStahl Registered User new member
    edited June 2012
    My review:

The game was very easy (for me, anyways), no particular puzzle stumped me for more than the 30 seconds or so that it took me to look around the more complicated levels to figure out what was what. Sometimes the execution of the solution was tricky and took longer, often requiring good timing and in a couple of cases platforming. That being said, this game was extremely fun and I enjoyed it immensely. The puzzles didn't have to be challenging to be fun to run through, and I really liked the mechanic that was used for the puzzles, with the four shifted dimensions - it was extremely well executed. The art direction was great - the same props are re-used throughout the game, but it doesn't feel like a bad thing at all. The colour commentary from the professor, the random cute interdimensional animal named Ike, and the collectibles all add a lot to the game. Little touches, like the various books you find scattered around with clever names (usually science related), also help round out the game. The game was not completely perfect, though - one thing bugged me.
    The developers did a fantastic job of developing a sense of foreboding throughout the entire game. First, something going wrong and the Professor disappearing into a pocket dimension for an unknown reason. You don't think too much of it. Then, when you complete the Blue Wing, you are treated to a little animation where the mansion shakes and a few pebbles rumble off the cliff. This is where they place the seed in your mind that tells you something is horribly wrong. I think this part in particular was amazingly done, it was very simple but so elegant. As you progress further and further, it becomes more and more clear that the game is building up to a major event. There's a pretty nice curve of tension-building the further you go in the game. Especially right before the climax, there's a ton of tension built up. But then... the climax is over in LITERALLY five seconds. And then the game is over. It was incredibly anticlimatic, which is a shame because it was built up very very well. I believe this is the only part where they failed to execute something perfectly.

All of that being said, I give the game a 9/10 and would recommend the game to almost anyone who plays videogames. The core gameplay is simple and enjoyable and I think even if you aren't that interested in the genre, you should give it a try.

For a quick note, since everybody seems to be comparing it with Portal - I think Portal was a bit more difficult, I didn't enjoy the colour commentator (Glados) nearly as much, there were barely any additional touches in Portal, I did not particularly enjoy the tone or art style of Portal as I don't feel it fits this type of game, and the puzzle mechanic was fine but didn't actively impress me. I have not played Portal 2 as I did not enjoy Portal anywhere near enough to want to buy a sequel. Overall, I like QC SIGNIFICANTLY more than Portal 1, and the only reason I'd ever recommend Portal over it is if you want a bit more of a challenge out of your puzzles.

DeutscherStahl on
  • Options

Please fix your spoiler tag

• Options
    Barely any additional touches in Portal? Did you finish the first game? It's the little touches that made it for me! One of the criticisms I'd level at QC thus far is it's a little bland art style wise.

I'd say Portal is far more entertaining (humour wise) up to now and I personally believe had a better aesthetic. From what I've played of QC (keeping in mind I've just unlocked the third dimension) it ranks a little under Portal 1 for me and a fair bit under Portal 2, especially the coop in Portal 2, that was amazing.

Don't take this as damning criticism though, the Portal games are some of the best puzzlers I've played in years, this game is still fantastic.

Also, DeutscherStahl, please spoiler properly.

• Options
    PMAversPMAvers Registered User regular
    Raiden333 wrote: »
    So, the "Do a Thing" achievement...
    AHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHH *breath* AHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHH
    Y'know, I was totally expecting Ike to be the one who trapped the professor in the Lost Dimension. Especially due to how he kept on getting angrier and angrier that I was taking the batteries from him.

persona4celestia.jpg
    COME FORTH, AMATERASU! - Switch Friend Code SW-5465-2458-5696 - Twitch
  • Options
    Zilla360Zilla360 21st Century. |She/Her| Trans* Woman In Aviators Firing A Bazooka. ⚛️Registered User regular
    Skull2185 wrote: »
    I'm waiting for the XBLA release, much as it pains me.

Me too. Any solid release info outside of "soon" yet?
    Me ^3. I'm hoping it's sometime in July, it would be crazy of them to delay it more than that.

• Options
    Skull2185Skull2185 Registered User regular
    @Zilla360
    looks like the console version is hitting July 11th

:D

Everyone has a price. Throw enough gold around and someone will risk disintegration.
  • Options
    Well this is...interesting...

http://kotaku.com/quantum-conundrum/

• Options
    Lenore03Lenore03 Registered User regular
    edited July 2012
    Kinda weird that the 360 version is dropping a day after the PS3 one, guess their stores update at different times. I have the option of both and so it'll be on PS3 just because it's out earlier.

Then again the net speed on the thing is considerably slower than the 360, so maybe that time difference wont mean squat in the end.
    Edit: Heh, looks like there isn't a delay between the console release in PAL territory.

Lenore03 on
  • Options
    Skull2185Skull2185 Registered User regular
    So, this game is mostly great. Mostly.

The humor is great. The books, paintings and most of the dialogue are top notch. The puzzles are superb. Such a nice feeling when you hit your "AHA!" moment and figure it out just like Portal.

Any sort of platforming segment though? Horrid. Absolutely terrible.

Everyone has a price. Throw enough gold around and someone will risk disintegration.
  • Options
    Local H JayLocal H Jay Registered User regular
    oh man forgot this came out

gotta get some points

• Options
    edited July 2012
    The game is currently on sale at Green Man Gaming for 33% off. That was the discount Steam would have offered if QC won the community vote, so I wouldn't hold your breath for a better bargain than this. I recommend the Season Pass since it's just three dollars more to get the game's future DLC.

Sterica on
    YL9WnCY.png
  • Options
    SaraLunaSaraLuna Registered User regular
    oh nice, I actually have a few bucks in credit there from the freebies they gave out a few weeks ago too.

• Options
    Someone on the previous page mentioned how they hated that there were no graphics options in the PC version (switching off motion blur, etc). I guess it's been patched recently as I tried it the other day and there's motion blur options, field of view and a ton of other stuff.

• Options
    40% off on Amazon

Probably the cheapest it's going to be for a while. This doesn't include the Season Pass (which is basically a discount on two future DLC packs), but at nine bucks I think you can overlook that.

YL9WnCY.png
  • Options
    mntorankusumntorankusu I'm not sure how to use this thing.... Registered User regular
    Mr_Grinch wrote: »
    Someone on the previous page mentioned how they hated that there were no graphics options in the PC version (switching off motion blur, etc). I guess it's been patched recently as I tried it the other day and there's motion blur options, field of view and a ton of other stuff.

I think it was just yesterday. Pretty cool.

• Options
    KrathoonKrathoon Registered User regular
    azith28 wrote: »
    Well this is...interesting...

http://kotaku.com/quantum-conundrum/

This is what happens when you get Square involved.

• Options
    Very close to the end of this now and utterly loving it. Especially the room near the end where:
    You get to choose what dimension to start with, then the rest vanish off. I went about things a really awkward way and made it through, then it tried again with a much more elegant solution.

• Options
    DrunkMcDrunkMc Registered User regular
    edited July 2012
    I dunno. Personally I had way more "Aha!" moments in Portal 1 than I did in this game. But besides like two puzzles, I found the game pretty straight-forward, surprisingly, so maybe I'm not the best case subject.

I'm with ya. I liked the first 2 or 3 puzzles of each new technology a lot, after that I just knew what to do. I also think that I found the uncle not funny and annoying as shit. In Portal I wanted to hear what Glados would say next, this guy its just like, shutup. Yes, you're seeing weird shit, I GET IT. SHUT. UP.

I don't know how far I am, but I had to shut it off cause he was annoying me. I was in the slow down phase. I think I'll have to take this game in small doses. Its not BAD per se, but theres a lot of annoying things that stop me from playing it and wanting more like Portal did.

Skull2185 wrote: »
    So, this game is mostly great. Mostly.

The humor is great. The books, paintings and most of the dialogue are top notch. The puzzles are superb. Such a nice feeling when you hit your "AHA!" moment and figure it out just like Portal.

Any sort of platforming segment though? Horrid. Absolutely terrible.

Yeah, I was at a point where you had to ride a couch in slo mo towards a laser, then jump over the laser. That was annoying. My charachter would slide all over teh place in mid air like he was being pushed instead of my velocity staying. And also....there was a floor below me, but you die when you hit it.

DrunkMc on
  • Options
    815165815165 Registered User regular
    I agree on the platforming sucking. I don't dislike first person platforming as much as many seem to, but I played Quake for ten years so that might have something to do with that, but the controls of the game didn't really ever feel as tight as they should be for one with platforming elements.

• Options
    I didn't really have too much of a problem with the platforming, maybe it works better with a controller if you're all playing with a mouse? I didn't die on that couch surfing bit anyway.

As far as the inevitable Portal comparisons go? I preferred this over the original Portal, though it's not a patch on Portal 2. It doesn't attempt to be hilarious, more 'cooky', which I've liked up to now.

This also has much better death sequences :p

• Options
    jclastjclast Registered User regular
    I love the uncle, but I think a lot of that is my giant man-crush on John DeLancie's voice and my imagination insisting that he's Q and I'm controlling a pre-teen Captain Picard.

camo_sig2.png
  • Options
    HuntingNoobHuntingNoob Registered User regular
    Good reviews. I will probably pick it up on Winter sale.

• Options
    the first dlc levels came out today.
    I only did the first one & its pretty long/complex.
    Sadly, there's no narration though.

• Options
    just finished the dlc. I enjoyed it.
    it even ends with a boss battle of sorts.

• Options
    ...and the other dlc is out now.
    steam hasn't added it to my account yet though.

• Options
    CorpekataCorpekata Registered User regular
    Same, and lot of people on the forums saying the same, so probably a widespread issue.

• Options
    Oooh, DLC. Will have to give it a go tonight.