As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/

The Resistance [BSG-esque PBP Game] [GAME OVER-SPIES WIN]

CapfalconCapfalcon Tunnel Snakes RuleCapital WastelandRegistered User regular
edited September 2012 in Critical Failures
T8yu6.jpg
Freedom is worth fighting for.

The Empire must fall. Our mission must succeed. By destroying their key bases, we will shatter Imperial strength and liberate our people. Yet spies have infiltrated our ranks, ready for sabotage. We must unmask them. In five nights we reshape destiny or die trying. We are the Resistance!

The Resistance is a party game that is something like a much lighter version of Battlestar Galactica. There are Spies and Rebels, with the spies attempting to secretly sabotage the mission without getting caught, while the Rebels attempt to launch successful missions against the Empire.
I2eof.jpg
Trust no one.

Trust and secrecy are a big deal in this game. On that note, THERE IS TO BE NO GAME RELATED COMMUNICATION BETWEEN PLAYERS OUTSIDE OF THIS THREAD. NO PROBOARDS, NO PMs, NOTHING! THIS INCLUDES THE SPIES. If it's being said to another player, it has to be in this thread.

The only person you are allowed to PM is me, for both rules questions and secret orders.
8mZ52.png
Wheels within wheels. Plots within plots.

There is an expansion that has plot cards. These allow the current mission leader to distribute one use powers to the other players (and sometimes himself. I feel they aren't very complicated and add a good bit of depth to the game, but if people want to start simple, I understand.

Rules of the game:

In the 10 player game there will be 6 resistance members and 4 spies. Spies will be told who all of the spies are. The starting leader will be randomly picked.

Each Round proceeds as follows:

Step 1 - The Rebel Leader puts together a mission team.

The leader picks the members who will go on the mission (they may include themselves on the team). The leader will have 24 hours after being given the leadership role to decide on the mission target and the team that will carry out the mission. Conversation is encouraged during this process, but the leader sets a proposal in stone by bolding and liming it.

Once the proposal is officially made, this step is over. If no proposal is made within 24 hours, it simply counts as a failed vote and leadership passes to the next person on the list (with the list wrapping around from 10 to 1.

Step 2 - Vote on the proposal. The group (including the leader), now gets to vote on the proposal. A majority must pass the vote in order for the plan to proceed. If the vote fails, the leader role passes to the next person and we go back to step 1. You can say whatever you want in the thread about how you plan to vote, but you must PM me your vote, with the Round #, proposal #, and your vote. For example, if we're on the third proposal of Day 1 (because the two previous proposals were rejected), and you vote yes, PM me

Day 1, Proposal 3, Yes

Once I get all the votes in, I will announce how everyone voted.

If the vote passes, we go to Step 3.
If the vote fails, we go back to step one. The leader passes to the next person on the list.

Step 3 - Selected team goes on mission. If the vote passes, then the people in the mission have 24 hours to PM me whether they are supporting or sabotaging the mission. Resistance members are not actually allowed to sabotage the mission and must choose to support it, but they still need to PM me for metagame reasons. Spies can choose to either sabotage it to cause the mission to fail, or support it, to perhaps mislead people into believing they are part of the Resistance.

Step 4 - Mission resolution. After I receive all the PMs, I will announce the results anonymously at the following day, and then pass the leadership role to the next person.

Game End:
The game ends when there are three total mission successes (Resistance wins) or three total mission fails (Empire wins), so the game will run between 3-5 missions. The Resistance also automatically lose if they can't agree to a plan in 5 consecutive voting rounds (that means 5 different leaders in the round couldn't get people to vote for their plan). Basically, the Empire comes in and wipes out everyone while they sit their squabbling over what to do.

Mission Orders

5 Players (3 Resistance / 2 Spies)
Mission 1 - 2 Players / 1 fail
Mission 2 - 3 Players / 1 fail
Mission 3 - 2 Players / 1 fail
Mission 4 - 3 Players / 1 fail
Mission 5 - 3 Players / 1 fail

6 Players (4 Resistance / 2 Spies)
Mission 3 - 4 Players / 1 fail
Mission 4 - 3 Players / 1 fail
Mission 5 - 4 Players / 1 fail

7 Players (4 Resistance / 3 Spies)
Mission 3 - 3 Players / 1 fail
Mission 4 - 4 Players / 2 fail
Mission 5 - 4 Players / 1 fail

8 Players (5 Resistance / 3 Spies)
Mission 1 - 3 Players / 1 fail
Mission 2 - 4 Players / 1 fail
Mission 4 - 5 Players / 2 fail
Mission 5 - 5 Players / 1 fail

9 Players (6 Resistance / 3 Spies)

10 Players (6 Resistance / 4 Spies)

Players represents the # of people needed to on the mission team.
Fail is the # of sabotages needed for the mission to fail.

Signups will be open for an few days. It depends on how many people are interested, really
I will put deadlines in the thread title. If I don't, please remind me.

Current list:
1. Blahmcblah
2. Damonis
3. ?Egos?
4. kilnaga
5. mi-go hunter
6. doodles 613
7. Mr Body
8. Flimflammery
9. Cerberus
10. Tayrun

RESERVE: Stever777

Adapted from @Dracil 's The Resistance OP.

Capfalcon on

• blahmcblahblahmcblah You pick your side and you stick - you don't cut and run when things get ugly. Registered User regular
    edited August 2012
    !signup

I've somehow missed out on this every time I've seen it played IRL. True story. Thanks cap!

blahmcblah on
  • blahmcblahblahmcblah You pick your side and you stick - you don't cut and run when things get ugly. Registered User regular
    Oh, and no preference on plot cards. They look kinda neat, but starting simple might be cool too.

• DaemonisDaemonis Registered User regular
    I'm in!

• EgosEgos Registered User regular
    if you desperately need someone, I'll play this is a not quite sign-up. More if you need me and are desperate. Because I am a horrible liar. Worse online than in rl... Oddly. At least I think I am

• CapfalconCapfalcon Tunnel Snakes Rule Capital WastelandRegistered User regular
    Egos wrote: »
    if you desperately need someone, I'll play this is a not quite sign-up. More if you need me and are desperate. Because I am a horrible liar. Worse online than in rl... Oddly. At least I think I am

Or are you?

• KilnagaKilnaga Registered User regular
    This sounds like some fun, and seems simple enough that it would be quick to pick up. Sign Up.

"The psychedelic mind is a higher dimensional mind, it is not fit for three dimensional space time."
    - Terence McKenna
    Also, can we create fluff role names and RP (Or is something like that given to us)? Truth and Lies are so much more fun with RP.

If so, what would the naming convention be thematically?

"The psychedelic mind is a higher dimensional mind, it is not fit for three dimensional space time."
    - Terence McKenna
  • CapfalconCapfalcon Tunnel Snakes Rule Capital WastelandRegistered User regular
    I guess if you wanna make names, that's fine with me.

It's a generic scifi distopia where you're fighting against the evil empire.

Also, did you have an opinion on the plot cards?

The game's rules sound relatively simple as is. Adding the plot cards don't seem to be too big an addition that we wouldn't be able to handle it even if we've never played the game before. Add them in IMO.

- Terence McKenna
    edited August 2012
    I take it the pick of the Matrix-y looking people in the OP are an example of what the characters will look like? :/

Is it cool if I run with being from a more rugged/rundown part of the resistance? Something more akin to the Human Resistance from the Terminator series.

I will be playing as Corwin "Corey" Wallace, descendant of Alexander "Xander" Wallace (The role name I normally use in Phalla). Corwin tends to be witty, verbose, and sarcastic. He has a fancy for wordplay and he enjoys torturing his squad mates with his terrible singing. Corwin is somewhat on the scrawnier side build wise. However, the smaller ones are always scrappy; he is deceptively proficient with multiple forms of firearms, and has training with bladed weapons (He knows this isn't as big an asset to a solider as it once was in ages past, but he likes to brag about it to others anyway).

There, I'm all set to RP it up. :P

Man, I really hope at least one of you jumps in on this with me. It will be super awkward otherwise. D:

Kilnaga on
    - Terence McKenna
  • mi-go huntermi-go hunter Once again I'm back in the lab. Cleaning my knives, ready for stabs.Registered User regular
    Uh... uh..... I can't help myself. Sign up

If it's too time consuming, I can drop out and surrender my spot to a reserve or something.

RP with me Mi-go. DOOOOO EEEEET!

- Terence McKenna
  • mi-go huntermi-go hunter Once again I'm back in the lab. Cleaning my knives, ready for stabs.Registered User regular
    edited August 2012
    Kilnaga wrote: »
    RP with me Mi-go. DOOOOO EEEEET!

Aaaargh, fine!

I will be Thalia Vivervolt. Born and raised in the south side of New Yorktropolis, a place renown for crime, she had to fight every day to survive. Unpleasant men harrased her wherever she went and she had to train her strength and stamina to overpower even the burliest of thugs. She's light and agile, her weapons of choice mainly daggers and silent throwable weapons like shuriken or occasionally a silenced revolver. She is a woman of few words and has a grim composure. She can lead a squad capably and has participated in numerous vital sabotage missions for the Resistance.
    Her appearance is an uncanny resemblance to my avatar.

mi-go hunter on
  • doodles613doodles613 Registered User regular
    edited August 2012
    sorry for the double post

doodles613 on
  • doodles613doodles613 Registered User regular
    can I play too?

• MrBodyMrBody Registered User regular
    Signing up from the mean streets of Neo Mega Tokyopolis.

It's looking like people are pretty ok with plot cards, so I'll do a write up of them tomorrow.

Tagging a few people who I know are usually up for anything: @Tayrun @Cerberus @stever777 @SeGaTai

Although stever is probably involved in too much stuff already. Worth a shot though.

• FlimflammeryFlimflammery There's always money in the banana stand... Oxford, UKRegistered User regular
    edited August 2012
    I'll sign up too, I'm interested to see how this will play out online. I've played it before, though the person who introduced us to it didn't own it and we improvised with playing cards :)

Flimflammery on
    The first time I saw it played was with playing cards, three years ago. Walked in after it started AS I DID THE NEXT FOUR TIMES I SAW IT PLAYED.

• CerberusCerberus Registered User regular
    This seems like a good game, also what puts me off playing in phallas is the effort with PMing people and Proboards etc, its just a bit too much for me. This seems to be ideal.

• TayrunTayrun Registered User regular
    Hah, awesome!

This is one of my favourite games of all time, and I have played waaaay too much in person.

I'll happily sign up, but I'll also happily give my seat to a newer player if needed.

BE ADVISED! Spy blahmcblah is a SPY.

Tayrun wrote: »
    Hah, awesome!

This is one of my favourite games of all time, and I have played waaaay too much in person.

I'll happily sign up, but I'll also happily give my seat to a newer player if needed.

Yeah, I seemed to remember you mentioning it in the boardgame thread and didn't want you to miss out. Have you played with the plot cards? If so, I'd appreciate hearing your thoughts on them.

HOW DID YOU KNOW!?

Cerberus wrote: »
    This seems like a good game, also what puts me off playing in phallas is the effort with PMing people and Proboards etc, its just a bit too much for me. This seems to be ideal.

Yeah, they've got that shit down to a science in phalla. I like the pure paranoia and uncertainty that comes with limiting the game to public discussions, like in BSG.

• stever777stever777 AFK most Saturdays Registered User regular
    Yup, busy.
    Reserve up

Hosting Android: Netrunner - Thread 2: The Revenge

The Black Hole of Cygnus X-1
    edited August 2012
    So the only way to stop spies is to not take them on missions?

mi-go hunter on
    blahmcblah wrote: »
    Tayrun wrote: »
    Hah, awesome!

Yeah, I seemed to remember you mentioning it in the boardgame thread and didn't want you to miss out. Have you played with the plot cards? If so, I'd appreciate hearing your thoughts on them.

HOW DID YOU KNOW!?

The plot cards are great and we should probably use them. I normally don't use them for new peoples' first game or two but I add them in pretty soon. I reckon the CF crew can cope!

Not that I want to agree with a spy, of course.

• MrBodyMrBody Registered User regular
    I'll throw in a vote for holding off on plot cards for the first game.

Yes, there is no player elimination.

I'm pretty good at this game...when I'm not a spy

Capfalcon wrote: »

Aw, I wanted to gut spies with my knife. Oh well :(

if you want to get things underway, I'll step my one up to a full sign up

Ok, loyalty going out now.

All Loyalty should be out.

The starting cell leader will be @MrBody

Please select three people for your mission team.

I am resistance pick me.

Pick me.

You need me, Mr. Body. My skills will be invaluable in completing this task.

what would you do if you were a spy? or is the bottom line that you wanted to gut someone?

Egos wrote: »

what would you do if you were a spy? or is the bottom line that you wanted to gut someone?

If I was a spy, I would gut myself. But since I'm still standing, I'm not one :P