As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

[TRENCHES] Tuesday, August 28, 2012 - Kismet

GethGeth LegionPerseus VeilRegistered User, Moderator, Penny Arcade Staff, Vanilla Staff vanilla
edited August 2012 in The Penny Arcade Hub
Kismet

Kismet
http://trenchescomic.com/comic/post/kismet

Lip Service

Anonymous

A main character’s lips were not animated in the cut-scenes, and I was the first tester to notice. I logged the bug but, being relatively new, I asked my boss if I should log each cut-scene separately, or classify the whole thing as one bug. He told me to avoid cluttering the system and to just create one report.

With each new week came a new build, and with each new build, I was assigned to do bug regressions on this same cut-scene issue. Each time, I had to play through the entire game to check each cut-scene and ensure that the animations were done, each time logging any remaining issues under one bug report.

After about a month of this, I was called into HR. They tell me that I am being let go because I’m not logging as many bugs as my co-workers. After a moment of shock, I explained that this was because I was stuck working on one bug that took all week to check and pleaded for reason.

They fired me right there, once again citing my low numbers, but they were “nice” enough to let me gather my personal things and say a few goodbyes. After shaking my hand and sending me off with a few regretful words, my now-former boss turned to another tester and said, “Take over this bug and split it up into separate reports for each cut-scene.”

Geth on

• Options
    RMS OceanicRMS Oceanic Registered User regular
    The story is right up there with the "this guy is doing something wrong and we're not gonna tell him to correct it and thus overlook him for promotion" one. It really annoys me.

• Options
    PonyPony Registered User regular
    some needs to do a serious expose documentary on game testing and the downright fucking criminal bullshit that happens in it and shit

like, seriously

someone call morgan spurlock or something

• Options
    RMS OceanicRMS Oceanic Registered User regular
    Pony wrote: »
    some needs to do a serious expose documentary on game testing and the downright fucking criminal bullshit that happens in it and shit

like, seriously

someone call morgan spurlock or something

I'd settle for Michael Moore if he wasn't so polarising.

Maybe a Ken Burns style documentary with zooming photographs all over the place?

• Options
    JohnnyricoMCJohnnyricoMC Registered User regular
    Glad to see Isaac is finally biting back. Cora's turning into a real hag. In the beginning we all thought Isaac to be the big jerkwad, but now it's clear Cora's the bigger evil. I wonder who she's gonna screw over the next time she deliberately leaks information.

• Options
    KarlKarl Registered User regular
    Don't get me wrong, Issac is a dick.

But if Cora was the saint she likes to think she is, she'd have owned up to the leak and resigned. But no, she let someone else take the fall for her actions.

They're all wankers.

• Options
    GaslightGaslight Registered User regular
    Karl wrote: »
    Don't get me wrong, Issac is a dick.

But if Cora was the saint she likes to think she is, she'd have owned up to the leak and resigned. But no, she let someone else take the fall for her actions.

Also, the fact that she has apparently actually hired Gwen casts serious doubt on her decision-making abilities in her new position.

• Options
    ultraexactzzultraexactzz BLEASCHMNN Registered User regular
    Kinda want to punch that manager in the dick. Not all of these tales are as infuriating - but they seem to be escalating, no?

• Options
    Fatty McBeardoFatty McBeardo Registered User regular
    We'll walk by night,
    We'll fly by day,
    Moonlighting strangers
    Who just met on the way
    Who just met on the waaaaaaaaaaay

• Options
    mRahmanimRahmani DetroitRegistered User regular
    As someone who spends a fair amount of time playing with UDK, this comic title made me chuckle.

• Options
    TIFunkaliciousTIFunkalicious Kicking back in NebraskaRegistered User regular
    edited August 2012
    the manager was probably shocked and upset too, just not as much because he wasn't the one getting fired. If he has the sense to 'avoid clutter' he wouldn't purposely entrap an employee into doing something that would draw fire from HR

TIFunkalicious on
  • Options
    YtinasniYtinasni Registered User regular
    edited August 2012
    I knew that being a game tester wasn't all it was cracked up to be, but these stories are horrific, I'm sure(read: hope) they they aren't this common. I like the more fun stories where the QA and devs get to have a little fun like the last story(worse than hitler).

They really ought to get someone to do a documentary on these sorts of working conditions. I don't think michael moore would be good because he would just turn it into "and this is why communism is a good idea" type of deal(because that's what he does in nearly every docu I've seen of his, and he's allowed to, but this message is something the conservatives need to see too). Lisa Ling would work for this honestly, you could play it up too, pretend the cubicles are like shanty huts (because they can sometimes look like that during crunch time) in a 3rd world country.

Ytinasni on
  • Options
    KarlKarl Registered User regular
    I can't believe he didn't grab the manager and go "TELL THEM WHAT YOU TOLD ME TO DO"

• Options
    Ori KleinOri Klein Registered User regular
    edited August 2012
    IMHO it's not the manager's fault, unless he purposely entrapped him.

More than likely, HR got the order to make cuts because the big cheese needed to fire someone to save on budget or whatever bullshit as they always do and this was just a good reason to latch onto as to avoid paying him compensation (because they are indeed inhuman dicks) and to get around his boss to do it.

His direct manager simply had the sense to realize that in order to save his team from getting further cuts (which no manager likes) he has to generate more bugs for whatever employee he assigned this problem to.

He can't goto HR and say "I told him to do it" because then he'll also be on the crosshair and they'll just come up with some other reason.
    Team Managers know that whenever HR/upper management decide something, you roll with it or you get steamrolled under it.

Ori Klein on
  • Options
    DeebaserDeebaser on my way to work in a suit and a tie Ahhhh...come on fucking guyRegistered User regular
    HR doesn't actually fire people. His boss (not necessarily the manager that told him to log the bug incorrectly) fired him. It sounds like they wanted to fire him with cause so they wouldn't be liable for unemployment.

• Options
    zepherinzepherin Russian warship, go fuck yourself Registered User regular
    This is really his managers fault. Part of the job of a good manager is to protect your subordinates from stupid shit like this, another part of that is to protect the company from the stupidity of your subordinates, it's a 2 way street, but if as a middle manager you can do at least that much and keep good records, your got 90% of it down.

• Options
    L Ron HowardL Ron Howard The duck MinnesotaRegistered User regular
    Measuring a QA's worth by bug counts is stupid.
    Making only one bug for the whole thing is not recommended. You essentially make duplicates, for what looks like the same problem, and let the Dev team bitch and moan because they can't fix their shit. Or have the PM (or whatever other gatekeeper) mark them all as duplicates and close it.

• Options
    I've played enough game dev story to know bugs are problems of a consistent size and complexity and you're only worth anything if you can solve many of these bugs in rapid succession while on fire

• Options
    wormspeakerwormspeaker Objectively Terrible Registered User regular
    Frankly, at this point I'm inclined to think that the manager did him a favor by letting him get fired. Saved him the trouble of getting fired later after various false promises.

• Options
    BahamutEosBahamutEos Registered User regular
    I feel Isaac makes a compelling argument. He's just being a dick in the way he goes about it.

• Options
    Gaming-FreakGaming-Freak Registered User regular
    I think I hate Cora now. Like, she is still on Isaac's case, even though Isaac essentially saved her ass (though for selfish reasons), and she ended up getting promoted as a result. Then when he basically lets it slide and starts forgetting it, Cora reminds him that she's still angry, and decides to basically insult him right then and there in front of the new girl. Who's being the ass-hole again?

As for the story, at least the boss was kind enough to tell the next employee what to do so he doesn't get fired like the other guy.

jagobannerpic.jpg
    XBL: GamingFreak5514
    PSN: GamingFreak1234
  • Options
    fortyforty Registered User regular
    Who does Gwen think she is, Donatello?

• Options
    FramlingFramling FaceHead Geebs has bad ideas.Registered User regular
    forty wrote: »

I thought of exactly the same thing.

you're = you are
    your = belonging to you

their = belonging to them
    there = not here
    they're = they are
  • Options
    MichaelLCMichaelLC In what furnace was thy brain? ChicagoRegistered User regular
    Framling wrote: »

Because she has a big stick up her ass?

• Options
    NeuroskepticNeuroskeptic Registered User regular
    It's like I've been saying all along, Isaac is not the asshole of this comic. Everyone else is one too. But in fact, the system is the real asshole because it makes otherwise nice people act in that way.

• Options
    Sgt.Big_BubbaloolaSgt.Big_Bubbaloola That's Mr to you! Everywhere man....Registered User regular
    We'll walk by night,
    We'll fly by day,
    Moonlighting strangers
    Who just met on the way
    Who just met on the waaaaaaaaaaay

Ahhhh that takes me back .................

Well gosh, I suppose I might as well settle in for a nice cuppa ...... this is gonna be good!
  • Options
    ApolloinApolloin Registered User regular
    God, I'm so glad we never treated OUR testers like this. I'm usually on the "It seems harsh but that's the system and you knew that when you signed up" bandwagon, but THIS is ridiculous. Not only are arbitrary statistics an incredibly poor way of telling the actual quality of employees, but the idea that you'd test all the cutscenes by PLAYING THE WHOLE GAME is risible, unless that was the only circumstance in which problems arose.

• Options
    fortyforty Registered User regular
    MichaelLC wrote: »

Because of this.

• Options
    blurfmanblurfman Registered User new member
    the more new characters show up, the less i care what happens to any of them

at this point i just want them all to die

i will donate 1000 dollars to child's play if this strip ends next week with all the characters being dragged into the woods and shot in the head

• Options
    MichaelLCMichaelLC In what furnace was thy brain? ChicagoRegistered User regular
    MichaelLC wrote: »

Because of this.

That's why I said a stick...
    :lol:

• Options
    edited August 2012
    Not related to this strip in particular, but if this game was Q's 'dream job' why wasn't he more upset it turned out so poorly?

TIFunkalicious on