As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/

[Dark Souls] If only I could be so grossly incandescent (as Durante) - Res fix in OP

• MovitzMovitz Registered User regular
    Right, sounds reasonable.

Another thing. I choose the master key as starting gift which may have been a bit stupid for a first play through. Is there a chance I might miss stuff or take shortcuts and mess things up?

• Zoku GojiraZoku Gojira Monster IslandRegistered User regular
    edited August 2012
    The starting gift is nothing to stress over. Like, at all. And you won't mess anything up by taking shortcuts, you just might miss out on some cool encounters that you can check out later by returning to the area and following the beaten path.

Just dive in, explore, don't read anything. It's probably too late to not read this, but you should stop now anyway.

Zoku Gojira on
    "Because things are the way they are, things will not stay the way they are." - Bertolt Brecht
  • KainyKainy Pimpin' and righteous Registered User regular
    Read as much as you like. A lot of the fun of the game can come from discovery, but discovery can mean a lot of things, and some people don't have the time or will to slam their balls into a vise for an hour to see a neat thing.

I'm all for discovery, and proper use of spoiler tags (HINT HINT PEOPLE) but I am less for dictating to other people how they play the game. I looked up tons on this game, as well as watching my various friends who were playing it at the same time as me, and I easily put 80+ hours into the PS3 version and loved it. Probably my favorite game of 2011 to be honest.

IcyLiquid wrote: »
    There's anti-fuckery code in there now :) Sorry :)
  • DrascinDrascin Registered User regular
    Okay, anyone know any way to transfer save data correctly between different GFWL profiles? I'd been playing with an offline profile, as mentioned, in my PC. Now I'm visiting my cousins, so I brought the save directory and installed the game from steam and made another quick offline profile here so that I can keep playing. All this gets me is an error message saying the saves are corrupt. Am I screwed?

Steam ID: Right here.
    Yes, I'm definitely in the category of people that don't have enough time to run through this game twice. So I'm just reading up on how stuff works, like stats and whatnot, in order to not have to restart 75% through the game due to fuckups. Still trying to avoid spoilers though.

• ZxerolZxerol for the smaller pieces, my shovel wouldn't do so i took off my boot and used my shoeRegistered User regular
    Drascin wrote: »
    Okay, anyone know any way to transfer save data correctly between different GFWL profiles? I'd been playing with an offline profile, as mentioned, in my PC. Now I'm visiting my cousins, so I brought the save directory and installed the game from steam and made another quick offline profile here so that I can keep playing. All this gets me is an error message saying the saves are corrupt. Am I screwed?

Welcome to the GfWL experience. Saves are locked to a GfWL local profile (because what PC gamers really want is to have their saves locked to a single machine and user account), and you have to backup and overwrite it in order to have the saves work (%userprofile%\AppData\Local\Microsoft\XLive).

Zxerol wrote: »

Welcome to the GfWL experience. Saves are locked to a GfWL local profile (because what PC gamers really want is to have their saves locked to a single machine and user account), and you have to backup and overwrite it in order to have the saves work (%userprofile%\AppData\Local\Microsoft\XLive).

Is there a tutorial or step by step or something on what I'm supposed to overwite here and such? I brought the NBGI folder because, silly me, I believed that bringing the save itself would be enough. I have no idea what I'm supposed to do to be able to move things to a different profile.

• ZxerolZxerol for the smaller pieces, my shovel wouldn't do so i took off my boot and used my shoeRegistered User regular
    That's basically it, IIRC -- backup your user account's AppData\Local\Microsoft\XLive folder along with the saves. The disclaimer is that I haven't actually done this to confirm total efficacy because I don't want to mess around with GfWL more than I possibly have to, because fuck that shit.

Another option is to use a save manager, like this one (I also never used it, but it does apparently backup GfWL profiles for you in general and supports Dark Souls explicitly).

edited August 2012
    Zxerol wrote: »
    That's basically it, IIRC -- backup your user account's AppData\Local\Microsoft\XLive folder along with the saves. The disclaimer is that I haven't actually done this to confirm total efficacy because I don't want to mess around with GfWL more than I possibly have to, because fuck that shit.

Another option is to use a save manager, like this one (I also never used it, but it does apparently backup GfWL profiles for you in general and supports Dark Souls explicitly).

I see. So basically having to bring the local profile with me everywhere, and no way to actually transfer it between multiple local profiles in different machines? That is not terrible design at all, no sir.

I'm guessing that if I ever decided to actually make a different, full online profile I'd ALSO be shit out of luck?

EDIT: Well, got the folder mailed to me, it's done now, it works. Still, very annoying to discover that I'm more or less locked and that I'd need to start a full new character if I ever intended to go online.

In any case, have been able to play.
    Visited the valley of Drakes a bit almost by accident, found a zombie dragon, killed it by cheesing like a motherfucker (read: shooting a hundred arrows at it from outside its range), decided the Drakes were still too much of a hassle nonetheless,

Then been doing some of that slime farming. Became human for increased drops, went at it. About 18000 souls later, I have gained enough money to buy the goddamn Crest of Artorias and have found a total of one gree and one large titanite fragment. Starting to debate the worthiness of this.

Drascin on
  • LanrutconLanrutcon The LabyrinthRegistered User regular
    Is anyone clued up on upgrading? I've been looking around but I haven't found a straight answer with math that tells me whether I should make my winged spear into an elemental weapon, or just upgrade it to +15. If I turn it into an elemental weapon I lose my stat scaling on it...so which is better: high dex on a dex weapon, or turning that weapon into an elemental weapon?

Capture.jpg~original
    Currently playing: GW2 and TSW
    edited August 2012
    Well, I definitely am noticing that my Balder Sword +7 is doing a noticeably higher (and by this I mean "like 30% more") amount of damage to my magic Iaito +3, despite the ATP ratings in the screen saying that in the end they should be about equal and in fact adding up the normal plus magic plus stat scaling of the Iaito it comes to about 10 points higher total. Maybe it's a matter of multiple resistances and stuff.

While we're talking of upgrading - any siggestions for a good light armor to upgrade? I REALLY would like to get rid of this Crimson Robe things because holy crap they look terrible, but the fact of the matter is that at least the body and leg pieces are hugely better statwise than everything else I have. So I'm looking for some pieces that don't weight horribly much and upgrade well.

Drascin on
  • LorkLork Registered User regular
    Lanrutcon wrote: »
    Is anyone clued up on upgrading? I've been looking around but I haven't found a straight answer with math that tells me whether I should make my winged spear into an elemental weapon, or just upgrade it to +15. If I turn it into an elemental weapon I lose my stat scaling on it...so which is better: high dex on a dex weapon, or turning that weapon into an elemental weapon?
    If you have high dex, a dex weapon will be better for you than an elemental weapon, especially with the post PC version elemental damage nerf. Note that the winged spear is not a very good dex weapon though, due to its low scaling potential.

Steam Profile: Lork
  • SokpuppetSokpuppet You only yoyo once Registered User regular
    What's the word on the new content coming to consoles?

• LanrutconLanrutcon The LabyrinthRegistered User regular
    Lork wrote: »
    Lanrutcon wrote: »
    If you have high dex, a dex weapon will be better for you than an elemental weapon, especially with the post PC version elemental damage nerf. Note that the winged spear is not a very good dex weapon though, due to its low scaling potential.

If I find a better spear I'll gladly take it :P

Capture.jpg~original
    Currently playing: GW2 and TSW
    Well, I'm in Sen Fortress.
    More exactly, in the walls/towers. And I have no idea what to do. I'm looking around while being pelted with giant bombs by huge dudes, and have found some guy named Ricard or something that dropped his rapier, and have found several items, but I can't find a way to continue for the life of me.

Keep going up.

• BehemothBehemoth Compulsive Seashell Collector Registered User regular
    There's a bonfire around there that's very easy to miss. Look for a broken section of wall.

Man, the new content is tough.
    I got past the guardian by summoning some help. When he was focused on one of us, the other could get in and do some damage. Still took some doing, it liked to fly around and shoot lightning a lot. The next area is really tough, between the big groups of ents all attacking at once and the revamped stone guardians. I figured out how to dodge the guardians attacks most of the time by rolling, but they do a lot of damage when they hit. So as long as I don't have fight more than one at a t-

CB9128BCAB6A7994A6F3B1829D88665285A02E9F

OH COME ON

iQbUbQsZXyt8I.png
  • SatsumomoSatsumomo Rated PG! Registered User regular
    I missed a bonfire in Sen's, only found it after defeating the iron giant.
    The one where you have to drop off a ledge when you're in the walkways

Fortunately, I was able to kill him on my first attempt so it wasn't missed.

• PolaritiePolaritie Sleepy Registered User regular
    edited August 2012
    Well, I'm in Sen Fortress.
    More exactly, in the walls/towers. And I have no idea what to do. I'm looking around while being pelted with giant bombs by huge dudes, and have found some guy named Ricard or something that dropped his rapier, and have found several items, but I can't find a way to continue for the life of me.
    You're almost at the end if you're all the way up there. Basically, yes, keep exploring the narrow paths and get to the higher floors of the central tower. You'll want to find the cage key - the first floor of the central tower has a pair of empty cages, opening them with it lets you use em as lifts, and skip 90% of the level. Also, you can kill the firebomb tossing giant if you want - the room with the fog to the boss has a spiral staircase up to him, I recommend cheesing him with arrows from the stairs.

Speaking of soul farming, did they fix that exploit in the garden that involved pushing super powerful enemies off a cliff? Could have sworn that was said to be addressed in a patch.

Also as a Pyromancer, am I better off focusing on lightweight clothing so I can dodge faster, or put those points into moving better in heavy armor?

Not sure if it was fixed. Probably not, since it relies on general AI weaknesses... I've always used the painted world as my go-to farming spot on casters, since the tight bunch of phalanxes is easy to off quickly.

Polaritie on
    Steam: Polaritie
    3DS: 0473-8507-2652
    Switch: SW-5185-4991-5118
    PSN: AbEntropy
    Well, didn't need the help anyway, found the bonfire and then the way. Killed the firebomber with arrows so as to be able to move around freely, and reached the boss.
    I kinda hate the area you fight the iron golem in. That's twice now I fall off and die midfight!

You can probably make more souls in five minutes of Anor Londo PVP than you can in five hours of farming anything, anywhere.

Well, boss out. I gave him a taste of his own medicine and ringed him out :P.
    Was taken to a huge, clearly newer city. Nobody in there except enemies, though. After seeing their sizes, and taking into account I had 42000 souls on me at the moment, I NOPE'd and used a return bone to the bonfire at Sen's. Now the question is, try to go out (which given the cages leave me right in front of two enemies may well backfire), to head to the Parish to buy some supplies and on the way save Logan now that I have the key, or just spend them here and level up

Sokpuppet wrote: »
    You can probably make more souls in five minutes of Anor Londo PVP than you can in five hours of farming anything, anywhere.

Just how does PVP work though, are you placed in certain tiers depending on your SL? What happens if you die? Can you pick up your bloodstain if you are killed?

Was taken to a huge, clearly newer city. Nobody in there except enemies, though. After seeing their sizes, and taking into account I had 42000 souls on me at the moment, I NOPE'd and used a return bone to the bonfire at Sen's. Now the question is, try to go out (which given the cages leave me right in front of two enemies may well backfire), to head to the Parish to buy some supplies and on the way save Logan now that I have the key, or just spend them here and level up

FUN FACT: Those giant enemies in the first part of Anor Londo? They're not aggressive. They won't attack you unless you attack them first. There's a bonfire pretty close to the entrance, the real area starts after you go down an incredibly fancy elevator.

iQbUbQsZXyt8I.png
    Behemoth wrote: »

FUN FACT: Those giant enemies in the first part of Anor Londo? They're not aggressive. They won't attack you unless you attack them first. There's a bonfire pretty close to the entrance, the real area starts after you go down an incredibly fancy elevator.
    The first one did let me pass. But when I got a little near to the two guys in the next room, they definitely started walking towards me without me attacking. I didn't stay to check if they just wanted to sell me cookies :P

Behemoth wrote: »

The first one did let me pass. But when I got a little near to the two guys in the next room, they definitely started walking towards me without me attacking. I didn't stay to check if they just wanted to sell me cookies :P

They're guarding the chests. If you try to STEAL from them of course they'll attack :P

iQbUbQsZXyt8I.png
    Yeah they will attack if you get too close. I always lure them one by one, I find that they are really easy to kill with a long reachin weapon, such as my crystal halberd. 9000 souls per run is pretty nice at my level.

• KoopahTroopahKoopahTroopah The koopas, the troopas. Philadelphia, PARegistered User regular
    edited August 2012
    What's the word on the new content coming to consoles?

Paid DLC pack later this year.
    Satsumomo wrote: »

Just how does PVP work though, are you placed in certain tiers depending on your SL? What happens if you die? Can you pick up your bloodstain if you are killed?

Taken from Dark Souls wiki.
    What happens in PvP?

Two players fight to the death! The winner receives different rewards depending on their method of invasion, they include Souls, Humanity, or other items. The loser is sent to the last Bonfire they used, and depending on the method of invasion they will either lose nothing at all, or find the bloodstain where they died to recover lost souls and humanity. If the player being invaded and loses, he or she can use the Indictment item to add their invader's name to the Book of the Guilty, depending on the invader's type.

During an invasion, the area is locked; the host cannot exit the area, though they may still initiate a boss fight by passing through a boss' fog gate, which will immediately send the invader home. The exception is in the case of a Spirit of Vengeance, by way of the Blue Eye Orb , in which case the previous rule does not apply.1If a Black Phantom and a Spirit of Vengeance invade the same world and one kills the other, the survivor does not get credit for accomplishing the objective, which is to kill the host. You can tell when you are being invaded when access to other areas is covered by thick fog, similar to most boss fogs and area transitions, except you cannot pass through them (except the Blue Eye Orb).

You cannot be invaded if you are Hollowed.

What happens if my name is in the Book of the Guilty?

If your name is in the Book of the Guilty for any reason, members of the Blade of the Darkmoon covenant can randomly invade your world as a Spirit of Vengeance by using their Blue Eye Orb. You cannot be targeted, it is a random, level appropriate draw and based on the area you are in. See the Book of the Guilty for more information.

KoopahTroopah on
    Well, I definitely am noticing that my Balder Sword +7 is doing a noticeably higher (and by this I mean "like 30% more") amount of damage to my magic Iaito +3, despite the ATP ratings in the screen saying that in the end they should be about equal and in fact adding up the normal plus magic plus stat scaling of the Iaito it comes to about 10 points higher total. Maybe it's a matter of multiple resistances and stuff.

While we're talking of upgrading - any siggestions for a good light armor to upgrade? I REALLY would like to get rid of this Crimson Robe things because holy crap they look terrible, but the fact of the matter is that at least the body and leg pieces are hugely better statwise than everything else I have. So I'm looking for some pieces that don't weight horribly much and upgrade well.

Weapons that do more than one type of damage will deal less than their Physical + Whatever added together, because you are forced to penetrate more than one of the target's defenses.

Thus, your magic Iaito, which does physical + magic, ends up doing less than just a +7 balder sword.

Kind of really sucks for INT/FAI builds, as the only weapon that does one damage type and scales on those is the Cursed Greatsword of Artorias, as far as I know, and it's pretty butt (with absurdly high stat requirements, to boot).

edited August 2012
    Kainy wrote: »

Weapons that do more than one type of damage will deal less than their Physical + Whatever added together, because you are forced to penetrate more than one of the target's defenses.

Thus, your magic Iaito, which does physical + magic, ends up doing less than just a +7 balder sword.

Kind of really sucks for INT/FAI builds, as the only weapon that does one damage type and scales on those is the Cursed Greatsword of Artorias, as far as I know, and it's pretty butt (with absurdly high stat requirements, to boot).

INT/FAI builds also have magic to support them though.

But yeah, STR/DEX builds have very few reasons to not go with normal+15. The only other things useful really are lightning and fire for weaknesses, and divine for Catacombs/Tomb of the Giants, to keep the skeletons dead.

Sorcery's damage just sucks compared to pyromancy. Mostly because fire is a common weakness and magic isn't, I think. Wish I knew the formula for the damage of the arrows - I have three soul, two great soul, and one of the others (Logan rescued, but haven't bought him out yet). Need to get back to rocking my dex char, once I get over my chronic alt-itis.

I believe it. Red Sign Soapstone, or Darkwraith/Darkmoon? I've gotten like 15k souls for offing people in the forest before, and there's no death penalties for that (win: return to location, lose: homeward bone). I suspect it's either a function of their level or their currently carried souls.

Polaritie on
  • templewulftemplewulf The Team Chump USARegistered User regular
    edited August 2012
    Rang the first bell after taking out the gargoyles. Was Knight Solaire always available as an AI co-op buddy? I've never seen his summoning circle in the PS3 version.

Anyway, what area should I tackle next?

Also, people mentioned taking out the merchant in Undead Burg for his weapon. Is it something a Pyromancer can use efficiently? And what are the consequences to killing an NPC, and how can I undo them? I've never attacked them, so I'm hesitant to do so unless the benefits are there.

Solaire was always there, but I didn't notice on my first try either, since I didn't understand how humanity / reverse hollow worked yet.

And the merchant's weapon is great for dex focused builds, mediocre for anyone else. I regretted killing him with my sorcerer, since he's the earliest, easiest and most reliable method of getting firebombs. Arrows too. But your pyromancer should be okay without him.

Edit:
    Hurf! Where did those two extra pages come from?

templewulf on
    Twitch.tv/FiercePunchStudios | PSN | Steam | Discord | SFV CFN: templewulf
    I think sorcery's main advantage over pyromancy is safety, given that it gives you a huge arsenal of moves fireable from long range, rather than the few, very limited cast, long cast time ones that pyromancy does. I largely ended up using my pyromancy as an absurdly powerful melee weapon, Great Combustioning things apart, with maybe some Great Fireball or Fire Orb to fill up the rest of my unneeded slots.

I think if lock on range were longer, or you could go into aim mode with catalysts like you can with bows, sorcery'd be a bit better, but honestly I don't think it needs to be that much better, at least for PvE.

edited August 2012
    Kainy wrote: »
    I think sorcery's main advantage over pyromancy is safety, given that it gives you a huge arsenal of moves fireable from long range, rather than the few, very limited cast, long cast time ones that pyromancy does. I largely ended up using my pyromancy as an absurdly powerful melee weapon, Great Combustioning things apart, with maybe some Great Fireball or Fire Orb to fill up the rest of my unneeded slots.

I think if lock on range were longer, or you could go into aim mode with catalysts like you can with bows, sorcery'd be a bit better, but honestly I don't think it needs to be that much better, at least for PvE.

I've kind of figured out aiming sorcery, and you can use binoculars to fine tune your aim anyways. It fires in the direction your character is facing, with its up/down aim wherever the camera is angled. Its range is only slightly longer than lock on anyways with soul arrows.

I'd argue that pyromancy is actually the safer build, because you can afford to raise your vit/end much, much higher since you don't care about int/fai and only need enough str/dex to use weapons (Though the dex reduction in cast times isn't bad... but not horribly necessary).

I do wish Chaos Servant had the same co-op ease boosts of the various cleric-ish covenants, since it's a completely PvE focused covenant (which is odd, as it uses humanity to rank!).
    They should have had Quelann be healed or something when you hit +3 chaos servant, its one of the few convenants with no incentive to go +3.

Polaritie on
    So um, do I want to play in human form or what?

• heenatoheenato Alice Leywind Registered User regular
    Generally, yes. If you're having trouble with a boss, being in human form means you can summon phantoms to help you beat it. It also means you can be invaded. I'm not sure of the exact specifics though.

M A G I K A Z A M
  • Gaming-FreakGaming-Freak Registered User regular
    heenato wrote: »
    Generally, yes. If you're having trouble with a boss, being in human form means you can summon phantoms to help you beat it. It also means you can be invaded. I'm not sure of the exact specifics though.

This. Though be careful. Invaders can be really cheap jerks. I should know; I'm one of them :)

Okay, well I'm not that cheap, but I'm definitely not gonna fight fair against a person who has easier access to healing than me (unless it's a duel, which should be done with the Red Soapstone).

Still waiting for the PS3 version's DLC... *sigh*, I wanna make my Ciaran and Artorias Builds :(

jagobannerpic.jpg
    XBL: GamingFreak5514
    PSN: GamingFreak1234
    edited August 2012
    Okay, and now please explain kindling. I could gt 10 estus flasks at the hub-thingy area. But at the first undead burg fire I'm stuck at 8 (assuming it is actually 5 since that was the base level in the prison)

At times it feels like you need a PhD in Soulology to understand this game, and the 5 pages of textbook isn't helping.

Movitz on
    The hell, I was human and died and picked up my remains but I'm still undead. Do you lose one humanity on every death?

• heenatoheenato Alice Leywind Registered User regular
    You lose your human form. And humanity you have stocked in the number at the top will be regained upon getting your bloodstain, but you have to go to a bonfire and use that humanity to reverse hollowfication

M A G I K A Z A M
    Ah, ok. Thanks. I'm sure I'll get the hang of this sooner or later...

This discussion has been closed.