Club PA 2.0 has arrived! If you'd like to access some extra PA content and help support the forums, check it out at patreon.com/ClubPA
The image size limit has been raised to 1mb! Anything larger than that should be linked to. This is a HARD limit, please do not abuse it.
Our new Indie Games subforum is now open for business in G&T. Go and check it out, you might land a code for a free game. If you're developing an indie game and want to post about it, follow these directions. If you don't, he'll break your legs! Hahaha! Seriously though.
Our rules have been updated and given their own forum. Go and look at them! They are nice, and there may be new ones that you didn't know about! Hooray for rules! Hooray for The System! Hooray for Conforming!

[Dark Souls] If only I could be so grossly incandescent (as Durante) - Res fix in OP

18283858788102

Posts

  • PolaritiePolaritie Sleepy Registered User regular
    Movitz wrote: »
    Ah, ok. Thanks. I'm sure I'll get the hang of this sooner or later...

    Basically, you spend humanity to reverse hollowing (become human) and kindle fires (Increase how much it fills your estus flask - you can do it once at the start, and eventually two more times later in the game, for 10, 15, or 20 charges). Rarely you'll loot humanity in loose form (in the counter) and some enemies can also drop the consumable form (which is safe until used to add to counter - it can also be used as a slow emergency heal).

    Steam: Polaritie
    3DS: 0473-8507-2652
    Switch: SW-5185-4991-5118
    PSN: AbEntropy
  • vagrant_windsvagrant_winds Overworked Mysterious Eldritch Horror Hunter XX Registered User regular
    I am so mad I can't play this right now thanks to GFWL. Because GFWL requiring very-specific router ports I can't activate it on deployed internet (even thought I can sign onto my Live account fine in a web browser and sign in just fine into the GFWL program... in game happens to require specific unchanging ports... fuckers).

    You guys have a two month head start before I start twinking up and invading the hell out of you all. :(

    What are some of the most obnoxious and total asshole PvP builds these days so I can pre-plan?

    (And something other than an a straight Vit-gouge Elemental weapons heavy promancy caster build as I already did that for my first console version character. Lighting Wishing Pole and Iiato. Fire Shotel to bypass turtlers. A billion pyromancy spells. Heavy Armor. Etc. Though this was before the elemental nerf so Chaos is probably better now.)

    // Steam: VWinds // LoL: VWinds // PSN: vagrant_winds //
    // 3DS: 4682-8868-5037 // Switch: SW-5306-0651-6424 //
  • SatsumomoSatsumomo Rated PG! Registered User regular
    Kindled bonfires will give you the 10 Estus flasks, I think that one is explained in game, not sure :P

    You need to be human in order to kindle a bonfire, and it costs 1 humanity.

    Anyone else rate every single message they see? I'd think everyone would, it just benefits everyone, but I haven't had a single person +1 any of my messages. :( Maybe they aren't even showing up, since I haven't been able to invade or be invaded. I can see ghost players though.

  • AistanAistan Registered User regular
    edited August 2012
    Satsumomo wrote: »
    Anyone else rate every single message they see? I'd think everyone would, it just benefits everyone, but I haven't had a single person +1 any of my messages. :( Maybe they aren't even showing up, since I haven't been able to invade or be invaded. I can see ghost players though.

    I don't think i've ever had a message of mine rated, in all my time playing both on the 360 and now PC.

    I think it's a result of the peer to peer system not making your messages show up in very many people's games, combined with not everyone rating messages, made worse by only being able to have six messages out total which means that even if someone is linked to you on the network they probably aren't anywhere near where your message is.

    Aistan on
    steam_sig.png
  • KoopahTroopahKoopahTroopah The koopas, the troopas. Philadelphia, PARegistered User regular
    Satsumomo wrote: »
    Kindled bonfires will give you the 10 Estus flasks, I think that one is explained in game, not sure :P

    You need to be human in order to kindle a bonfire, and it costs 1 humanity.

    Anyone else rate every single message they see? I'd think everyone would, it just benefits everyone, but I haven't had a single person +1 any of my messages. :( Maybe they aren't even showing up, since I haven't been able to invade or be invaded. I can see ghost players though.

    I did the same thing on the xbox version. I would rate every message, especially the "jump here"s at an obvious pitfall. But mine would always stay unrated.

    ?username=KoopahTroopah&theme=light

    Steam - Battle.net - Koopah089 - PSN/Xbox - 1639-6388-9968/KoopahTroopah - Switch
  • SatsumomoSatsumomo Rated PG! Registered User regular
    We should start hanging out in Vent or something, get some games going and stuff, yeah!

  • KoopahTroopahKoopahTroopah The koopas, the troopas. Philadelphia, PARegistered User regular
    edited August 2012
    I mean if there's a PA vent. I know there's a team speak for GW2, but I hate team speak lol. I'm also waiting until my PC version gets here in the mail before I start playing again.

    KoopahTroopah on
    ?username=KoopahTroopah&theme=light

    Steam - Battle.net - Koopah089 - PSN/Xbox - 1639-6388-9968/KoopahTroopah - Switch
  • CorpekataCorpekata Registered User regular
    edited August 2012
    Movitz wrote: »
    Okay, and now please explain kindling. I could gt 10 estus flasks at the hub-thingy area. But at the first undead burg fire I'm stuck at 8 (assuming it is actually 5 since that was the base level in the prison)

    At times it feels like you need a PhD in Soulology to understand this game, and the 5 pages of textbook isn't helping.

    Fires that have a Fire Keeper (that's the mute girl in the cell) present default to 10 flasks. Any that don't default to five. You can kindle them to bring them up to 10 with a humanity (you need to be human to do this as well).

    When you're learning the game you likely will not want to be human that much. To kindle fires, sure, but explore and learn areas as an undead. Human form is good for when you've learned the area and have a pretty direct route to the boss.

    Later on you'll likely want human form more often as a variety of gameplay elements depend on it.

    Corpekata on
    steam_sig.png
    Add me on PSN, Raptr and Wii U and probably every other gaming service under the name: Corpekata
    3ds Friend code: 2251-4724-0730
  • Red or AliveRed or Alive Registered User regular
    After giving up on Dark Souls at Sen's Fortress and, nearly a year later, playing Demon's Souls for the first time, I've come to regard DaS as a little too obtuse for it's own good in explaining its mechanics. While I admire the dedication to maintaining the sense of immersion by avoiding any direct mention of mechanics and button commands (aside from a tiny concession at the beginning of the game) I think it's telling that DaS hides its hint system from players (I must have rung the first bell before reading a forum post that led me to the first merchant and the orange soapstone) instead of making it readily available from the start as in DeS.

    Though, it certainly reinforces the overall oppressive aesthetic.

  • gjaustingjaustin Registered User regular
    Corpekata wrote: »
    Movitz wrote: »
    Okay, and now please explain kindling. I could gt 10 estus flasks at the hub-thingy area. But at the first undead burg fire I'm stuck at 8 (assuming it is actually 5 since that was the base level in the prison)

    At times it feels like you need a PhD in Soulology to understand this game, and the 5 pages of textbook isn't helping.

    Fires that have a Fire Keeper present default to 10 flasks. Any that don't default to five. You can kindle them to bring them up to 10 with a humanity (you need to be human to do this as well).

    And you can kindle them up to 15 and 20 later.

  • krylon666krylon666 Registered User regular
    I'd definitely hang in vent with you fine bros while playing. Didn't the xbox version not allow you to party chat while in game? It gets lonely in soulville. Anyway else think the use of music (or lack thereof) is amazing in this game? I really love the design of everything.

    I defeated Sif at SL10, so close to getting my Darkwraith going :) I'm not sure how easy it is to run through New Londo though. I'd like to just avoid the ghosts and get to where I need to go - but I know there are some tight spots. Once this char is ready for evil pvp, it's time to switch back to another char to run through the game proper.

    Monster Hunter 3GU - hastur23 (WiiU) - geek - bgg geek page - Looking for pilots! - Combat Flight Sim thread
  • Future BluesFuture Blues Registered User
    After giving up on Dark Souls at Sen's Fortress and, nearly a year later, playing Demon's Souls for the first time, I've come to regard DaS as a little too obtuse for it's own good in explaining its mechanics. While I admire the dedication to maintaining the sense of immersion by avoiding any direct mention of mechanics and button commands (aside from a tiny concession at the beginning of the game) I think it's telling that DaS hides its hint system from players (I must have rung the first bell before reading a forum post that led me to the first merchant and the orange soapstone) instead of making it readily available from the start as in DeS.

    Though, it certainly reinforces the overall oppressive aesthetic.

    Is it even possible to ring the first bell without going through the burg? I know you can get to the first bell via Darkroot Basin, but don't you still have to pass through the Burg and Havel's basement to get there?

    Even so, I don't really feel like the Orange Soapstone is necessary to progress. I didn't even buy it until my second play through. The only thing it really allows you to do is rate other players' messages. You still see them whether you're carrying it or not.

    Xbox Live: No Reply
    Steam: Jacobontap
    LoL: FutureBlues
  • LanrutconLanrutcon Registered User regular
    edited August 2012
    So the Asylum demon when you go back...what the fuck. If he touches me with anything it knocks me over. If I get knocked over I never get a chance to recover.

    Fuck that shit, seriously. The game is hard enough without them rigging boss fights like this.

    Edit: And it's finally dead. 30 odd tries. My spear just pokes thin air when I'm near him for some reason, actually landing hits was a fucking pain in the ass.

    Lanrutcon on
    Capture.jpg~original
    Currently playing: GW2 and TSW
  • DrascinDrascin Registered User regular
    After giving up on Dark Souls at Sen's Fortress and, nearly a year later, playing Demon's Souls for the first time, I've come to regard DaS as a little too obtuse for it's own good in explaining its mechanics. While I admire the dedication to maintaining the sense of immersion by avoiding any direct mention of mechanics and button commands (aside from a tiny concession at the beginning of the game) I think it's telling that DaS hides its hint system from players (I must have rung the first bell before reading a forum post that led me to the first merchant and the orange soapstone) instead of making it readily available from the start as in DeS.

    Though, it certainly reinforces the overall oppressive aesthetic.

    Is it even possible to ring the first bell without going through the burg? I know you can get to the first bell via Darkroot Basin, but don't you still have to pass through the Burg and Havel's basement to get there?

    Even so, I don't really feel like the Orange Soapstone is necessary to progress. I didn't even buy it until my second play through. The only thing it really allows you to do is rate other players' messages. You still see them whether you're carrying it or not.

    You have to go through the Burg, yes. But you can easily miss the merchant. I should know, I did until I heard "the merchant in the burg" mentioned here :P.
    In any case, freed Logan, the jerkface didn't even give me anything in thanks nor does he teach me sorcery. You're lucky I'm a paladin by heart, mister big hat.

    Then went back into Anor Londo. Killed some huge armor dudes, nearly got killed by a mimic (damn those things bite hard. The one with the serpent ring in Sen's fortress killed me outright, and this one left me with like 20 HP. I have to start stabbing chests before opening them), then killed the gargoyle. Didn't know where to continue from there and it was getting late anyway so I left it there.

    The big armor dudes are likely to be my farmsource for a while. 1500 per enemy in enemies that die in three heavy attacks is preeeetty nice, even if it takes a bit to kill them because the place is so goddamn big and they block a bit.

    Steam ID: Right here.
  • ShenShen Registered User regular
    Lanrutcon wrote: »
    So the Asylum demon when you go back...what the fuck. If he touches me with anything it knocks me over. If I get knocked over I never get a chance to recover.

    Fuck that shit, seriously. The game is hard enough without them rigging boss fights like this.

    Wow, you're surviving a hit from bosses? Clearly you're overlevelled :P

    3DS: 2234-8122-8398 | Battle.net (EU): Ladi#2485
    ladi.png
  • DoctorArchDoctorArch Curmudgeon Registered User regular
    Lanrutcon wrote: »
    So the Asylum demon when you go back...what the fuck. If he touches me with anything it knocks me over. If I get knocked over I never get a chance to recover.

    Fuck that shit, seriously. The game is hard enough without them rigging boss fights like this.

    The stray demon is actually obnoxiously difficult and better tackled as a mid to late game boss. Thankfully, he is susceptible to poison, so later on just chuck a dung pie at him and hide.

    Until then you can go around on the edges of the floor and avoid having it collapse under you, allowing you to collect everything else on the Asylum return.

    Switch Friend Code: SW-6732-9515-9697
  • PolaritiePolaritie Sleepy Registered User regular
    edited August 2012
    After giving up on Dark Souls at Sen's Fortress and, nearly a year later, playing Demon's Souls for the first time, I've come to regard DaS as a little too obtuse for it's own good in explaining its mechanics. While I admire the dedication to maintaining the sense of immersion by avoiding any direct mention of mechanics and button commands (aside from a tiny concession at the beginning of the game) I think it's telling that DaS hides its hint system from players (I must have rung the first bell before reading a forum post that led me to the first merchant and the orange soapstone) instead of making it readily available from the start as in DeS.

    Though, it certainly reinforces the overall oppressive aesthetic.

    Is it even possible to ring the first bell without going through the burg? I know you can get to the first bell via Darkroot Basin, but don't you still have to pass through the Burg and Havel's basement to get there?

    Even so, I don't really feel like the Orange Soapstone is necessary to progress. I didn't even buy it until my second play through. The only thing it really allows you to do is rate other players' messages. You still see them whether you're carrying it or not.

    In theory, you can ring the bell without going through Undead Burg. However, you have to have the master key to do this.
    Firelink Shrine>New Londo Ruins>Valley of the Drakes>Darkroot Basin>Darkroot Forest>Undead Parish.

    I made a pyromancer last night. Now level 30, having rung both bells, glove +9, and joined the Chaos Servants. Waiting on the egghead to hatch so I can buy spells from Eingyi.

    Also, don't ever use the Old Witch's Ring if you don't want to be depressed.

    Edit: Chaos Servant +1. Slightly less depressing. Ran into demon ruins to snatch the robes (No armor is more appropriate for a pyromancer!), escaped Ceaseless Discharge with a homeward bone, which was interesting.

    Polaritie on
    Steam: Polaritie
    3DS: 0473-8507-2652
    Switch: SW-5185-4991-5118
    PSN: AbEntropy
  • LanrutconLanrutcon Registered User regular
    edited August 2012
    That son of a bitch. 30 odd tries before he bit it. I'm now realising that my little +6 winged spear is maybe a bit outdated :( felt like I was chopping down a brick wall with my dick. I should just have taken a fuckton of explosive or pyromancy or something.

    Perhaps a tiny bit overleveled, but by no means overgeared.

    Lanrutcon on
    Capture.jpg~original
    Currently playing: GW2 and TSW
  • PolaritiePolaritie Sleepy Registered User regular
    Lanrutcon wrote: »
    That son of a bitch. 30 odd tries before he bit it. I'm now realising that my little +6 winged spear is maybe a bit outdated :( felt like I was chopping down a brick wall with my dick. I should just have taken a fuckton of explosive or pyromancy or something.

    Perhaps a tiny bit overleveled, but by no means overgeared.

    The winged spear is nowhere near as good as in demon souls, sadly. But yeah, if you aren't taking enough health off a boss each hit to see yellow chunks coming out, your gear should probably be upgraded ASAP.

    Steam: Polaritie
    3DS: 0473-8507-2652
    Switch: SW-5185-4991-5118
    PSN: AbEntropy
  • SorensonSorenson Registered User regular
    DoctorArch wrote: »
    The stray demon is actually obnoxiously difficult and better tackled as a mid to late game boss. Thankfully, he is susceptible to poison, so later on just chuck a dung pie at him and hide.
    He seems to have obnoxiously long reach once you aggro him, though, what with his big fuck-off club and his fire breathing, so trying to play keep-away is probably the worst thing you can do in that fight. He's actually quite susceptable to bleed as it is, and I was able to take him out with a vanilla Bandit's Knife after 10 or so bleed incursions. Just have to cram yourself up his ass and whack 'em in the balls a few times, then pull back for his fire blast (since it has backflow despite being directed forward) and butt stomp.

  • Red or AliveRed or Alive Registered User regular
    After giving up on Dark Souls at Sen's Fortress and, nearly a year later, playing Demon's Souls for the first time, I've come to regard DaS as a little too obtuse for it's own good in explaining its mechanics. While I admire the dedication to maintaining the sense of immersion by avoiding any direct mention of mechanics and button commands (aside from a tiny concession at the beginning of the game) I think it's telling that DaS hides its hint system from players (I must have rung the first bell before reading a forum post that led me to the first merchant and the orange soapstone) instead of making it readily available from the start as in DeS.

    Though, it certainly reinforces the overall oppressive aesthetic.

    Is it even possible to ring the first bell without going through the burg? I know you can get to the first bell via Darkroot Basin, but don't you still have to pass through the Burg and Havel's basement to get there?

    Even so, I don't really feel like the Orange Soapstone is necessary to progress. I didn't even buy it until my second play through. The only thing it really allows you to do is rate other players' messages. You still see them whether you're carrying it or not.

    The Undead Burg merchant is extremely easy to miss entirely. I conquered the first 2 boss encounters and rang the first bell before finding out that there was a vendor located earlier on in the area. Playing Demon's Souls, it struck me very quickly how useful other players' hints were to my making decent progress in the game. By not granting access to hint-making from the outset you hobble communication. Now, I've no doubt that this was a deliberate choice made early in development as From Software were keen on stating that DaS was to be a much more difficult game than DeS and also a lonelier game (this is backed-up by changes made to the online component that made it more difficult to arrange co-op sessions between friends). I understand From's reasons from an aesthetic perspective but, damn, some hints have really saved my bacon in DeS.

  • StragintStragint Do Not Gift Always DeclinesRegistered User regular
    So what is with this bottomless box glitch? I can just go through a few NG+ and collect all the items and then start a character with every item in the game?

    I found out that it is possible to make the Iron Golem fall of the edge of the area and die. I was incredibly amused by that.

    PSN: Reaper_Stragint, Steam: DoublePitstoChesty
    What is the point of being alive if you don't at least try to do something remarkable? ~ Mario Novak

    I never fear death or dyin', I only fear never trying.
  • Future BluesFuture Blues Registered User
    After giving up on Dark Souls at Sen's Fortress and, nearly a year later, playing Demon's Souls for the first time, I've come to regard DaS as a little too obtuse for it's own good in explaining its mechanics. While I admire the dedication to maintaining the sense of immersion by avoiding any direct mention of mechanics and button commands (aside from a tiny concession at the beginning of the game) I think it's telling that DaS hides its hint system from players (I must have rung the first bell before reading a forum post that led me to the first merchant and the orange soapstone) instead of making it readily available from the start as in DeS.

    Though, it certainly reinforces the overall oppressive aesthetic.

    Is it even possible to ring the first bell without going through the burg? I know you can get to the first bell via Darkroot Basin, but don't you still have to pass through the Burg and Havel's basement to get there?

    Even so, I don't really feel like the Orange Soapstone is necessary to progress. I didn't even buy it until my second play through. The only thing it really allows you to do is rate other players' messages. You still see them whether you're carrying it or not.

    The Undead Burg merchant is extremely easy to miss entirely. I conquered the first 2 boss encounters and rang the first bell before finding out that there was a vendor located earlier on in the area. Playing Demon's Souls, it struck me very quickly how useful other players' hints were to my making decent progress in the game. By not granting access to hint-making from the outset you hobble communication. Now, I've no doubt that this was a deliberate choice made early in development as From Software were keen on stating that DaS was to be a much more difficult game than DeS and also a lonelier game (this is backed-up by changes made to the online component that made it more difficult to arrange co-op sessions between friends). I understand From's reasons from an aesthetic perspective but, damn, some hints have really saved my bacon in DeS.

    I still don't understand your point. Hints are visible whether you're carrying the soapstone or not. If you're having trouble with the game you're not going to be writing hints down for other players anyway, so why even bother with it?

    I guess you could argue that you won't be able to profit from people rating your hints and giving you free humanity, but humanity isn't rare enough that you really need to do that, even if its your first time and you're summoning for every boss.

    Xbox Live: No Reply
    Steam: Jacobontap
    LoL: FutureBlues
  • PolaritiePolaritie Sleepy Registered User regular
    edited August 2012
    Stragint wrote: »
    So what is with this bottomless box glitch? I can just go through a few NG+ and collect all the items and then start a character with every item in the game?

    I found out that it is possible to make the Iron Golem fall of the edge of the area and die. I was incredibly amused by that.

    Yeah, but it's kind of risky to try and bait it into attacking off the level, and getting it to backstep off is entirely a matter of luck. Lots of pesky enemies can be killed with proper abuse of AI.

    Level 36 pyromancer, already in Anor Londo, already have Quelana available. Another hundred-thousand souls and I should have all the purchasable pyromancies...

    What would be a good boss to throw down a summon sign for?

    Polaritie on
    Steam: Polaritie
    3DS: 0473-8507-2652
    Switch: SW-5185-4991-5118
    PSN: AbEntropy
  • Professor SnugglesworthProfessor Snugglesworth Registered User regular
    I had no idea about that Sorceress NPC. It took three attempts, but I was able to beat the Butterfly with her help.

    Is there a benefit to having more Humanity in stock? I ran around as a human with 01 Humanity, so I assume the more you have the more...stuff will happen.

    Also, what are you supposed to do with the soul that's supposed to increase the effects of flasks? I remember screwing myself over in the PS3 version, as you're not supposed to "use" the item, but what do you do with it?

  • CorpekataCorpekata Registered User regular
    You give it to a fire keeper and they improve your flask. Mute girl underneath Firelink shrine is one.

    steam_sig.png
    Add me on PSN, Raptr and Wii U and probably every other gaming service under the name: Corpekata
    3ds Friend code: 2251-4724-0730
  • stigweardstigweard Registered User regular
    edited August 2012
    Humanity stock is best used when you are invading another realm. You can pop one and get health from it where normal health items don't work.

    edit: Polarite reminded me of the stat bonuses. iirc, it also helps with resistances to have a stack of ten on hand. It might have gone higher but I'm pretty sure it was nerfed some in a patch.

    stigweard on
  • PolaritiePolaritie Sleepy Registered User regular
    Corpekata wrote: »
    You give it to a fire keeper and they improve your flask. Mute girl underneath Firelink shrine is one.

    The other two are the leader of the Chaos Servant covenant and the girl in armor at the first Anor Londo bonfire.
    Is there a benefit to having more Humanity in stock? I ran around as a human with 01 Humanity, so I assume the more you have the more...stuff will happen.

    Being human=stat bonus.
    More humanity in counter=stat bonuses (notably, to the item find stat - however, it's far safer to use the serpent ring for it's +200 than ten humanity for a mere +110).

    Steam: Polaritie
    3DS: 0473-8507-2652
    Switch: SW-5185-4991-5118
    PSN: AbEntropy
  • AistanAistan Registered User regular
    I can't beat the next boss in the new area now. I can dodge his attacks well enough, but I can't damage him enough and he just wears me down with the inevitable few hits he gets in. Gotten him down to about 2/3 health but by then i'm out of estus. 40-ish damage per hit with all of my weapons, or 60-120ish for pyromancies isn't enough damage.

    I've tried going in human but haven't seen any summons signs around that area at all. No idea what level people are going into it generally, though.

    steam_sig.png
  • BehemothBehemoth Registered User regular
    Humanity (the stat, not the item) gives you more item find. It's kind of a risk-reward thing, you're more likely to find rare items, but you also run the risk of losing all that humanity.

    iQbUbQsZXyt8I.png
  • SatsumomoSatsumomo Rated PG! Registered User regular
    Butterfly boss?
    I don't have any ranged weapons, so I was unsure what to do. After a while of dodging, the boss simply goes and rests on the ledge so you can wail on it. With my black knight sword it took like 6 hits and it died. Hah!

  • AistanAistan Registered User regular
    Ah nevermind, I figured it out. I'm just too underleveled for the area and my skill isn't enough to pull that off.

    Guess i'll go fight Seath, or something... trying to put off Nito and the Four Kings as long as I can.

    steam_sig.png
  • StragintStragint Do Not Gift Always DeclinesRegistered User regular
    Polaritie wrote: »
    Stragint wrote: »
    So what is with this bottomless box glitch? I can just go through a few NG+ and collect all the items and then start a character with every item in the game?

    I found out that it is possible to make the Iron Golem fall of the edge of the area and die. I was incredibly amused by that.

    Yeah, but it's kind of risky to try and bait it into attacking off the level, and getting it to backstep off is entirely a matter of luck. Lots of pesky enemies can be killed with proper abuse of AI.

    Level 36 pyromancer, already in Anor Londo, already have Quelana available. Another hundred-thousand souls and I should have all the purchasable pyromancies...

    What would be a good boss to throw down a summon sign for?

    Yea, its not a viable strategy. I just thought it was very humorous that it is a thing that can happen. Especially since the Iron Golem has tossed my sorry ass off the edge before.

    PSN: Reaper_Stragint, Steam: DoublePitstoChesty
    What is the point of being alive if you don't at least try to do something remarkable? ~ Mario Novak

    I never fear death or dyin', I only fear never trying.
  • fsmith1fsmith1 Registered User regular
    Man, Ornstein and Smough are absolutely wrecking my shit. I can't dodge any of Smough's attacks for the life of me, even using the pillars. I also have no humanity at all so it looks like I'm going to head back to the burg to farm rats for humanity. Any tips?

  • LorkLork Registered User regular
    edited August 2012
    Still looking for help with the optional boss in the DLC. That tail just isn't coming off without a second player.
    Lanrutcon wrote: »
    Lork wrote: »
    Lanrutcon wrote: »
    Is anyone clued up on upgrading? I've been looking around but I haven't found a straight answer with math that tells me whether I should make my winged spear into an elemental weapon, or just upgrade it to +15. If I turn it into an elemental weapon I lose my stat scaling on it...so which is better: high dex on a dex weapon, or turning that weapon into an elemental weapon?
    If you have high dex, a dex weapon will be better for you than an elemental weapon, especially with the post PC version elemental damage nerf. Note that the winged spear is not a very good dex weapon though, due to its low scaling potential.

    If I find a better spear I'll gladly take it :P
    If you're that dependant on spears, try a few rapiers out. They have basically the same moveset and scale much better with dex.
    Kainy wrote: »
    Kind of really sucks for INT/FAI builds, as the only weapon that does one damage type and scales on those is the Cursed Greatsword of Artorias, as far as I know, and it's pretty butt (with absurdly high stat requirements, to boot).
    The moonlight greatsword is a top tier weapon with S scaling for INT, which does 100% magic damage. That's even better than 100% PHYS, because way less things resist it. Faith gets kind of screwed for scaling weapons though.

    Lork on
    Steam Profile: Lork
  • furlionfurlion Riskbreaker Lea MondeRegistered User regular
    fsmith1 wrote: »
    Man, Ornstein and Smough are absolutely wrecking my shit. I can't dodge any of Smough's attacks for the life of me, even using the pillars. I also have no humanity at all so it looks like I'm going to head back to the burg to farm rats for humanity. Any tips?

    Summon help at the the bonfire. Not the one with the firekeeper but the one in the same building as they are. It is probably the most frequented summon location in the game due to the mix of it being a mid-game boss, one of the hardest fights, and an area that you have to go through to complete the game. Not sure which version you have but just post your soul level here and someone can probably help out. Also they both deal lightning damage and are resistant to it while being weak to fire damage.

    sig.gif Gamertag: KL Retribution
    PSN:Furlion
  • PolaritiePolaritie Sleepy Registered User regular
    furlion wrote: »
    fsmith1 wrote: »
    Man, Ornstein and Smough are absolutely wrecking my shit. I can't dodge any of Smough's attacks for the life of me, even using the pillars. I also have no humanity at all so it looks like I'm going to head back to the burg to farm rats for humanity. Any tips?

    Summon help at the the bonfire. Not the one with the firekeeper but the one in the same building as they are. It is probably the most frequented summon location in the game due to the mix of it being a mid-game boss, one of the hardest fights, and an area that you have to go through to complete the game. Not sure which version you have but just post your soul level here and someone can probably help out. Also they both deal lightning damage and are resistant to it while being weak to fire damage.

    Yeah, I can drop a summon sign of level 40 or 60ish anywhere in Anor Londo. I just bashed their brains in with some help at 39. He died RIGHT as I killed super-Ornstein though.


    Does anyone know if (Ending spoilers)
    It's necessary to go darkwraith to get the dark lord ending? It just seems out of character for a pyromancer to link the fire after being explicitly warned of the dangers of fire by Quelana, seeing everything that happened to her family, etc. from toying with raw elemental fire, but I want to keep this character in Chaos Servants.

    Steam: Polaritie
    3DS: 0473-8507-2652
    Switch: SW-5185-4991-5118
    PSN: AbEntropy
  • BehemothBehemoth Registered User regular
    Polaritie wrote: »
    furlion wrote: »
    fsmith1 wrote: »
    Man, Ornstein and Smough are absolutely wrecking my shit. I can't dodge any of Smough's attacks for the life of me, even using the pillars. I also have no humanity at all so it looks like I'm going to head back to the burg to farm rats for humanity. Any tips?

    Summon help at the the bonfire. Not the one with the firekeeper but the one in the same building as they are. It is probably the most frequented summon location in the game due to the mix of it being a mid-game boss, one of the hardest fights, and an area that you have to go through to complete the game. Not sure which version you have but just post your soul level here and someone can probably help out. Also they both deal lightning damage and are resistant to it while being weak to fire damage.

    Yeah, I can drop a summon sign of level 40 or 60ish anywhere in Anor Londo. I just bashed their brains in with some help at 39. He died RIGHT as I killed super-Ornstein though.


    Does anyone know if (Ending spoilers)
    It's necessary to go darkwraith to get the dark lord ending? It just seems out of character for a pyromancer to link the fire after being explicitly warned of the dangers of fire by Quelana, seeing everything that happened to her family, etc. from toying with raw elemental fire, but I want to keep this character in Chaos Servants.
    Nope, you don't even have to meet Kaathe. Just walk out at the end instead of lighting the fire.

    iQbUbQsZXyt8I.png
  • PolaritiePolaritie Sleepy Registered User regular
    edited August 2012
    Behemoth wrote: »
    Polaritie wrote: »
    furlion wrote: »
    fsmith1 wrote: »
    Man, Ornstein and Smough are absolutely wrecking my shit. I can't dodge any of Smough's attacks for the life of me, even using the pillars. I also have no humanity at all so it looks like I'm going to head back to the burg to farm rats for humanity. Any tips?

    Summon help at the the bonfire. Not the one with the firekeeper but the one in the same building as they are. It is probably the most frequented summon location in the game due to the mix of it being a mid-game boss, one of the hardest fights, and an area that you have to go through to complete the game. Not sure which version you have but just post your soul level here and someone can probably help out. Also they both deal lightning damage and are resistant to it while being weak to fire damage.

    Yeah, I can drop a summon sign of level 40 or 60ish anywhere in Anor Londo. I just bashed their brains in with some help at 39. He died RIGHT as I killed super-Ornstein though.


    Does anyone know if (Ending spoilers)
    It's necessary to go darkwraith to get the dark lord ending? It just seems out of character for a pyromancer to link the fire after being explicitly warned of the dangers of fire by Quelana, seeing everything that happened to her family, etc. from toying with raw elemental fire, but I want to keep this character in Chaos Servants.
    Nope, you don't even have to meet Kaathe. Just walk out at the end instead of lighting the fire.
    Wanted to be sure before I spoke to Frampt, because New Londo is horrible.


    Edit: How to clear Blighttown without being poisoned: Roflstomp with a Lightning Gargoyle Halberd, Spider Shield, and Gold-Hemmed Black Robes for massive offense and poison resist. Then again, knowing where the snipers are helps too.

    Polaritie on
    Steam: Polaritie
    3DS: 0473-8507-2652
    Switch: SW-5185-4991-5118
    PSN: AbEntropy
  • KainyKainy Registered User regular
    edited August 2012
    Lork wrote: »
    Kainy wrote: »
    Kind of really sucks for INT/FAI builds, as the only weapon that does one damage type and scales on those is the Cursed Greatsword of Artorias, as far as I know, and it's pretty butt (with absurdly high stat requirements, to boot).
    The moonlight greatsword is a top tier weapon with S scaling for INT, which does 100% magic damage. That's even better than 100% PHYS, because way less things resist it. Faith gets kind of screwed for scaling weapons though.

    Ohh, yes. Forgot about the MLGS. Annoying that they switched it from faith to INT Dark Souls, but ah well. Win some, lose some.
    I had no idea about that Sorceress NPC. It took three attempts, but I was able to beat the Butterfly with her help.

    Is there a benefit to having more Humanity in stock? I ran around as a human with 01 Humanity, so I assume the more you have the more...stuff will happen.

    Also, what are you supposed to do with the soul that's supposed to increase the effects of flasks? I remember screwing myself over in the PS3 version, as you're not supposed to "use" the item, but what do you do with it?

    Stocked humanity boosts all your stats a bit, and dramatically increases your item find, so having some in stock is generally handy.

    Firekeeper's souls you take to a firekeeper (the woman behind bars just downstairs from the Firelink Shrine bonfire, the horrible spider monster in the wall by the Chaos Servant area, or the NPC by the first bonfire in Anor Londo) and choose "Reinforce Estus Flask" which will add to how much one drink of Estus heals you.

    Kainy on
    IcyLiquid wrote: »
    There's anti-fuckery code in there now :) Sorry :)
This discussion has been closed.