As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/

[TF2] Team Fortress 2 getting maps updated

• RiokennRiokenn Registered User regular
    edited August 2012
    Gonna say 9 EST for my Mann Up group. Just keep your eye peeled in the group chatroom. Oh and my friend and I are gonna use our vouchers. ;)

Riokenn on
    OmSUg.pngrs3ua.pngvVAdv.png
  • PMAversPMAvers Registered User regular
    edited August 2012
    Beta got updated tonight.

--- August 27, 2012 ---

General:
    Performance improvements
    Sync'd with recent changes from Team Fortress 2
    Updated Steam binaries

FEEL THE EXCITEMENT

PMAvers on
    persona4celestia.jpg
    COME FORTH, AMATERASU! - Switch Friend Code SW-5465-2458-5696 - Twitch
  • MrDelishMrDelish Registered User regular
    ban littlebutts

• mrflippymrflippy Registered User regular
    edited August 2012
    Scouts with scatterguns destroyed my sentry before they were in the sentry's firing range. :(

mrflippy on
  • xzzyxzzy Registered User regular
    Then build your sentry around a corner so scouts are dead before they realize there's a sentry shooting them. :rotate:

xzzy wrote: »
    Then build your sentry around a corner so scouts are dead before they realize there's a sentry shooting them. :rotate:

Yeah, I started doing that. It was really weird though. It was the very first group of enemies in a wave. As soon as they hit the ground, my sentry died.

Yeah, the robots have perfect aim. When the game drops 20 scouts off the cliff and the first thing they see is your sentry, every single one of them is going to shoot at said sentry.

It's the same reason I keep losing pyro vs pyro fights. I have to dick around with the stupid collision detection of the flamethrower, but the bots get 100% perfect accuracy and I die in a tenth of a second.

Yeah, the robots have perfect aim. When the game drops 20 scouts off the cliff and the first thing they see is your sentry, every single one of them is going to shoot at said sentry.

It's the same reason I keep losing pyro vs pyro fights. I have to dick around with the stupid collision detection of the flamethrower, but the bots get 100% perfect accuracy and I die in a tenth of a second.

I swear the robopyros have a longer range on their flamethrowers too.

• 101101 Registered User regular
    Posted this in the SE thread, but figured I'd post it here too

I've got a spare botkiller knife. If anyone wants to trade another botkiller weapon for it i'd be more than happy to

• UEAKCrashUEAKCrash heh Registered User regular
    I'm more impressed at how the huntsman-bots lead their targets to hit them.

• BarrakkethBarrakketh Registered User regular
    mrflippy wrote: »

I swear the robopyros have a longer range on their flamethrowers too.
    Bots don't have lag. Flamethrower particles aren't lag compensated (and also get a bit of a boost from your own momentum for slightly longer range), so I'd expect the bots to have that advantage over a player.

For more flamethrower fun open tr_walkway_rc2, enable cheats, and play around with "tf_debug_flamethrower 1".

Rollers are red, chargers are blue....omae wa mou shindeiru
    Yep, when I'm playing pyro I buy flame resistance as soon as pyros show up. It's a fairly cheap resist and it dramatically improves your ability to survive pyro confrontations.

A boost to airblast and some health on kill and you turn into a pyro dominating machine.

This video nicely demonstrates why the flamethrower can be so annoying to use:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vSkf1yIAjzs

I have tried that so many times and not managed to hit anyone. :(

• Flippy_DFlippy_D Digital Conquistador LondonRegistered User regular
    It helps that they are absolute imbeciles.

p8fnsZD.png
    Koth_Aquifer_B5 is out!
    Download here.
    .bz2 for pros.

Aquifer.jpg

I'm just about to submit this into STAR's KoTH contest. Been obsessing over this for about 2 months now. I'm pretty happy with what I've created. I would greatly appreciate if a few of you would download the map ASAP and run around it. Tell me if there is anything glaringly wrong with it. Missing textures or props would be the big one, but they should all be there.

Changelog:
    Beta 4 (not)Release:
    Error caused me to make this an internal version.

Beta 5 Release:
    Massive clipping pass. Found a bunch of exploits and high ledges.
    Added a new platform above the shipping container going through the building.
    Added a medium ammo on new platform.
    Changed buildings to the side of capture point again. Simplified.
    Added ramps to the shipping containers along the walls, on one side.
    Added a railing in the center area.
    Fixed a lot of early model fades and pop outs. Should all be good now?
    Expanded detailing a ton. Added some height to a few buildings, lots of trim, new detail areas, touched a bit of everything.
    Optimized further. Very few props are fadeless at this point.
    Cleaned up lighting, brightened most interiors.

Extra screenshots in spoiler
    2012-08-29_00047.jpg
    2012-08-29_00048.jpg
    2012-08-29_00037.jpg
    2012-08-29_00039.jpg
    2012-08-29_00041.jpg

Some of your larger walls look a bit sparse.. the textures tile really bad, especially on the brick building near the CP.

Not really a demerit though, you haven't had a pretty compressed time schedule.

Don't even think about posting those shots on tf2maps because you have a fps counter in the corner and they HATE when screenshots aren't perfect. :rotate:

• PsykusPsykus Registered User regular
    Anyone for Mann Up mode later tonight? After much anguish and gnashing of teeth I was able to complete the first mission with random folks but having a regular group to play with would make it much more enjoyable. I play a mean Engineer.

Is there a Steam community group I can join?

Some of your larger walls look a bit sparse.. the textures tile really bad, especially on the brick building near the CP.

Not really a demerit though, you haven't had a pretty compressed time schedule.

Don't even think about posting those shots on tf2maps because you have a fps counter in the corner and they HATE when screenshots aren't perfect. :rotate:

Yeah, I crammed a lot in near the end here, though. I slacked off for like a month straight on this map. Out of 2 1/2 months, heh. It's for comp players anyway, they give few fucks.

The FPS counter totally bugged me too, though. I posted them with it for the general shots, but my primary shot I went back and re-took to submit in the contest with the map files.

• PaladinPaladin Registered User regular
    For some ludicrous reason there is no inclusive PA TF2 steamgroup. There is a Social Entropy steamgroup and a Penny Arcade steamgroup, and the PA steamgroup for some reason usually has 30+ people on, though only a few post in the forums anymore.

Marty: The future, it's where you're going?
    Doc: That's right, twenty five years into the future. I've always dreamed on seeing the future, looking beyond my years, seeing the progress of mankind. I'll also be able to see who wins the next twenty-five world series.
  • PaladinPaladin Registered User regular
    also guild wars 2 is out so nobody but crash and ronnie are playing mvm

Marty: The future, it's where you're going?
    Doc: That's right, twenty five years into the future. I've always dreamed on seeing the future, looking beyond my years, seeing the progress of mankind. I'll also be able to see who wins the next twenty-five world series.
    Steam groups and PA are doomed to failure. There is a long, long trail of them with names including "PA" or "arcadian" or "wangs" that were never used for anything more than a weak promise that this time it will be different.

• KanaKana Registered User regular
    I'm always up for playing (free) MvM, but I usually don't sign into steam unless I'm about to play something

A trap is for fish: when you've got the fish, you can forget the trap. A snare is for rabbits: when you've got the rabbit, you can forget the snare. Words are for meaning: when you've got the meaning, you can forget the words.
  • GhostalkerGhostalker Registered User regular
    Anyone looking to trade a botkiller flamethrower or minigun for this Botkiller Stickybomb Launcher I just picked up.

Demo is one of my least used classes.

steam_sig.png
  • maximumzeromaximumzero I...wait, what? New Orleans, LARegistered User regular
    Bah, I miss me some Mann vs Machine. :(

FU7kFbw.png
    Switch: 6200-8149-0919 / Wii U: maximumzero / 3DS: 0860-3352-3335 / eBay Shop
  • Al BaronAl Baron Registered User regular
    edited August 2012
    I love how TF2 has more developed lore than most games.

'Seven of the sniper at Two Fort?' Heh.

Al Baron on
    steam_sig.png
  • gtrmpgtrmp Registered User regular
    Al Baron wrote: »

Only seven snipers on 2fort? That's the least believable part of the whole thing.

• BarrakkethBarrakketh Registered User regular
    gtrmp wrote: »

Only seven snipers on 2fort? That's the least believable part of the whole thing.
    I take issue with that. There would be less snipers, and more engineers.

Rollers are red, chargers are blue....omae wa mou shindeiru
  • Handsome CostanzaHandsome Costanza Ask me about 8bitdo RIP Iwata-sanRegistered User regular
    Hey there sports fans.. guess what? I finally got a laptop that doesn't blow goat cheese and can play tf2 lag free! If anyone wants to play a game sometime soon I still have all my tickets and such. Give me a holler through my friendlist or through the chatroom! Yay!

Nintendo Switch friend code: 7305-5583-0420. Add me!
    Resident 8bitdo expert.
    Resident hybrid/flap cover expert.
  • XArchangelXXArchangelX Registered User regular
    Barrakketh wrote: »
    gtrmp wrote: »

I take issue with that. There would be less snipers, and more engineers.

Seriously. At least four, two on the bridge, two on the battlements.

Eve Online is a terrible game, but I used to play, for the lulz!
    Steam
    Only the strong can help the weak.
    Whoever owns the mvm server needs to play with this website:

http://www.mvmwaves.com/

I5E94.jpg?1

• Roland_tHTGRoland_tHTG Registered User regular
    nice find xzzy

• RiokennRiokenn Registered User regular
    My god, all melee, all the time.

OmSUg.pngrs3ua.pngvVAdv.png
  • KupiKupi Registered User regular
    I want to build a bunch of waves that start with ranged weapons near the start, and it builds up to more and more powerful weaponry as it goes... and then the last wave is nothing but frying pans. Because they ran out of proper weapons.

My favorite musical instrument is the air-raid siren.
  • Duke 2.0Duke 2.0 Time Trash Cat Registered User regular
    My god you can give them any cosmetic from any class.

VRXwDW7.png
  • Flippy_DFlippy_D Digital Conquistador LondonRegistered User regular
    edited September 2012
    Paging bear is driving

Flippy_D on
    p8fnsZD.png
    Melee only scouts at 0.1 scale are FUCKING HARD.

I thought it would be amusing. :(

• Bear is DrivingBear is Driving Registered User regular
    Flippy_D wrote: »
    Paging bear is driving

I only paid for it. Mavers runs it.

• Firmus_PiettFirmus_Piett Registered User regular
    Is there a way to change their speed with it, or is there some crazy formula that does it based on scale? I wouldn't much like regular speed giant bots.

camo_sig.png