As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/

Powers 25 Preview - Grammar Errors Drive me Nuts

SquashuaSquashua __BANNED USERS regular
edited July 2007 in Graphic Violence
There's a Powers 25 preview here and right on page one...

powers025comprev1ak6.jpg
[size=-5](click for embiggen)[/size]

"You're in a room that has a drainer. YOU'RE powers don't work here."

AAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAHHHHHHHHHHHHH! D:

Squashua on

• Mai-KeroMai-Kero Registered User regular
    edited July 2007
    How exactly does shit like that slip past?

Mai-Kero on
  • SquashuaSquashua __BANNED USERS regular
    edited July 2007
    Mai-Kero wrote: »
    How exactly does shit like that slip past?

Lack of a skilled editor?

A dumb letterer?

Overreliance on spellcheckers without grammar checkers?

Bad writing?

Powers: Awesome art, excellent writing, poor grammar.

Squashua on
  • Garlic BreadGarlic Bread i'm a bitch i'm a bitch i'm a bitch i'm a Registered User, Disagreeable regular
    edited July 2007
    Previews Thread on the first page of Graphic Violence

Garlic Bread on
    edited July 2007
    Keith wrote: »

Read the OP.

Not talking about the preview - talking about the error.

Squashua on
  • Garlic BreadGarlic Bread i'm a bitch i'm a bitch i'm a bitch i'm a Registered User, Disagreeable regular
    edited July 2007
    Squashua wrote: »

Read the OP.

You can see how I'd "misunderstand" you when you title the thread, "Powers 25 Preview at CBR"

Garlic Bread on
    edited July 2007

Read the OP.

You can see how I'd "misunderstand" you when you title the thread, "Powers 25 Preview at CBR"

Sure.

Now stay on topic.

How much do I pay for these books again?

How much effort do they put into these things just to get smacked in the face on page one?

Squashua on
  • NogsNogs Crap, crap, mega crap. Crap, crap, mega crap.Registered User regular
    edited July 2007

Read the OP.

Sure.

Now stay on topic.

How much effort do they put into these things just to get smacked in the face on page one?

$3.

Over 20 books at any given week (usually more), every week. That's a bit of effort. People slip up sometimes.

Nogs on
    rotate.jpg
    PARKER, YOU'RE FIRED! <-- My comic book podcast! Satan look here!
    edited July 2007
    Nogs wrote: »

Read the OP.

Sure.

Now stay on topic.

$3.

Over 20 books at any given week (usually more), every week. That's a bit of effort. People slip up sometimes.

It's not just one editor on all those books.

Squashua on
    edited July 2007

Read the OP.

Sure.

Now stay on topic.

If you care about this that much then maybe you're more retarded than I give you credit for.

Garlic Bread on
  • CrimsondudeCrimsondude Registered User regular
    edited July 2007
    There's a Powers 25 preview here and right on page one...

"You're in a room that has a drainer. YOU'RE powers don't work here."

AAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAHHHHHHHHHHHHH! D:

Wait? The Internet lied to me. Second person possessive isn't spelled 'you're'?

Oh, the humanity! Your all going to pay!

Crimsondude on
    edited July 2007

Read the OP.

Sure.

Now stay on topic.

$3.

It's not just one editor on all those books.

you should read Tom Brevoort's blog on Marvel.com. I think he went over the exact process of how a comic gets made at least once. Basically, shit moves really fast. Sometimes slips happen. I mean, yeah this one was particularly bad because it was page 1 - but really I don't think it happens enough to be all "oh shit, fire someone!"

Nogs on
    rotate.jpg
    edited July 2007
    Also given apx. 20 book every week apx. 20 pages each, thats 400 pages to proof. every week. most weeks more. Even if it isn't just one dude, that is quite a bit to proof. not to mention all the other things an editor must do that don't involve working directly on a comic coming out that week.

Nogs on
    rotate.jpg
  • bobgorilabobgorila Registered User regular
    edited July 2007
    Nussbaum.

Is that like, in common usage in America or something?

I mean, I can speak German, I know what it means, I've just never heard it used like that by an English-speaker before.

bobgorila on
    I like my women how I like my coffee.

Anally.
    edited July 2007
    bobgorila wrote: »
    Nussbaum.

Is that like, in common usage in America or something?

I mean, I can speak German, I know what it means, I've just never heard it used like that by an English-speaker before.

I have no fucking clue. I thought it was her last name and he had it in her files, but wanted to see if she would give it up freely. I've never heard of Nussbaum before.

Nogs on
    rotate.jpg
    edited July 2007
    It's her last name. The conversation is equivalent to:

"What's your name before it was Cherry?"

"I'm not telling you what it is."

"Nussbaum"

"Damn, you already knew it."

"Yeah, we're cops and you probably have a prior record. Just wanted to get a gauge on how much you plan on lying to us. Maybe you won't now that you know we already know everything."

Squashua on
  • BlankspaceBlankspace __BANNED USERS regular
    edited July 2007
    Man, this stuff happens in every written medium all the time. My local paper has them practically every day, Harry Potter and the Deathly Hallows had a ton of misused commas and typos, there's no reason comic books should be exempt from errors.

There's going to be mistakes, hell this post probably has some, nobody's perfect and you can't catch everything.

Blankspace on
    SIG.gif
    edited July 2007
    Blankspace wrote: »
    Man, this stuff happens in every written medium all the time. My local paper has them practically every day, Harry Potter and the Deathly Hallows had a ton of misused commas and typos, there's no reason comic books should be exempt from errors.

It's a well known fact ([size=-7]no it isn't[/size]) that J.K. Rowling doesn't use an editor.

Squashua on
  • BlankspaceBlankspace __BANNED USERS regular
    edited July 2007

It's a well known fact ([size=-7]no it isn't[/size]) that J.K. Rowling doesn't use an editor.
    All right. The First Omnibus of Gotrek and Felix, which I am currently reading, also has a few errors.

Blankspace on
    SIG.gif
    edited July 2007

All right. The First Omnibus of Gotrek and Felix, which I am currently reading, also has a few errors.

I have no idea what that is, but with characters named "Gotrek" and "Felix", I don't doubt it. :winky:

Squashua on
    edited July 2007
    What is that winky for?

There was nothing suggestive about that post.

Garlic Bread on
    edited July 2007
    What is that winky for?

Maybe not to you. O_o

Squashua on
  • ServoServo Registered User, ClubPA regular
    edited July 2007
    man, i don't know why everyone's so shocked. bendis is like a child with grammar.

Servo on
    newsigs.jpg
    edited July 2007
    What is that winky for?

Maybe not to you. O_o

Explain it to me, then.

Garlic Bread on
    edited July 2007
    What is that winky for?

Maybe not to you. O_o

Explain it to me, then.

D:

Squashua on
    edited July 2007
    What is that winky for?

Maybe not to you. O_o

Umm...I think I'm in the same boat as kieth here. I'm trying really hard to figure out how the word Felix and Gotrek can be suggestive.

I mean, felix means fortunate. So like...someone is fortunate to have gotrek?

Nogs on
    rotate.jpg
  • FencingsaxFencingsax It is difficult to get a man to understand, when his salary depends upon his not understanding GNU Terry PratchettRegistered User regular
    edited July 2007
    What is that winky for?

Maybe not to you. O_o

Umm...I think I'm in the same boat as kieth here. I'm trying really hard to figure out how the word Felix and Gotrek can be suggestive.

I mean, felix means fortunate. So like...someone is fortunate to have gotrek?

Warhammer nerds. It's best not to understand.

Fencingsax on
  • The Lovely BastardThe Lovely Bastard Registered User regular
    edited July 2007
    Keith 8-)

Also, who cares?

The Lovely Bastard on
    7656367.jpg
    edited July 2007
    Keith 8-)

Also, who cares?

Exactly. :?:

Squashua on
    edited July 2007
    Keith 8-)

Also, who cares?

Exactly. :?:

(he's talking to you)

(dummy)

Garlic Bread on
  • AlgertmanAlgertman Registered User regular
    edited July 2007
    Servo wrote: »
    man, i don't know why everyone's so shocked. bendis is like a child with grammar.

yeah

Algertman on
  • BalefuegoBalefuego Registered User regular
    edited July 2007
    Oh shit, there was a typing/printing error in a comic book? THIS HAS NEVER EVER HAPPANED BEFORE AND WE TOTALLY NEEDED A THREAD TO DISCUSS IT.

Balefuego on
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
    edited July 2007
    Balefuego wrote: »
    Oh shit, there was a typing/printing error in a comic book? THIS HAS NEVER EVER HAPPANED BEFORE AND WE TOTALLY NEEDED A THREAD TO DISCUSS IT.

yeah

Algertman on
  • HooraydiationHooraydiation Registered User regular
    edited July 2007
    Anyone remember when a typographical error in a Wolverine comic led to Sabretooth being called a "kike" instead of a killer? I can't imagine a worse mistake to make than accidentally inserting an ethnic slur into your comic.

Hooraydiation on
    Home-1.jpg
    edited July 2007
    Algertman wrote: »

yeah

yeah

Nogs on
    rotate.jpg
  • MunchMunch Registered User regular
    edited July 2007
    Does anyone remember that page from Seven Soldiers: Frankenstein #1, where the train is derailing over the course of like, six panels, and every other panel has a date, showing a town growing up around where the train derailed? But one of the panels has the wrong caption box in it, and it totally messes up the flow of the page. I was never sure if that was a typo or if it was just laid out really oddly, and every time I read it that page just pulls me out of the story for a minute while I contemplate whether it was intentional or just a letterer's fuck up. If it was the latter, I'm kind of pissed they didn't correct it for the trade, just because it would have been such a minor thing to fix.

Munch on
    edited July 2007

yeah

yeah

so

Algertman on
    edited July 2007

yeah

yeah

so

what?

Nogs on
    rotate.jpg
    edited July 2007
    Munch wrote: »
    Does anyone remember that page from Seven Soldiers: Frankenstein #1, where the train is derailing over the course of like, six panels, and every other panel has a date, showing a town growing up around where the train derailed? But one of the panels has the wrong caption box in it, and it totally messes up the flow of the page. I was never sure if that was a typo or if it was just laid out really oddly, and every time I read it that page just pulls me out of the story for a minute while I contemplate whether it was intentional or just a letterer's fuck up. If it was the latter, I'm kind of pissed they didn't correct it for the trade, just because it would have been such a minor thing to fix.

I prefer when they fix problems for the trade. I wonder if any of the myraid of problems with 52 were fixed in the trade.

Like the duplicated word balloons, etc.

On a related note, wondering if Wondergirl's blacked-out bra was restored to it's original format. :winky:

Squashua on
    edited July 2007

yeah

yeah

so

what?

yeah

Algertman on
  • DJ EebsDJ Eebs Moderator, Administrator admin
    edited July 2007
    okay, stop that

DJ Eebs on