As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

[PRIME] First Time to PAX Prime? Have You First Timer Wisdom To Share? Inquire within...

12345679»

• Options
    jonxpjonxp [E] PC Security Registered User regular
    Do most vendors at PAX accept credit cards? I plan on buying some merch, a board game or two, and a bunch of dice, so how much cash should I exchange before heading over the border from Canada?

As others have said, many do, however I strongly recommend having cash on hand in case the Cookie Brigade walks by.

Every time you write parallel fifths, Bach kills a kitten.
    3DS Friend Code: 2707-1614-5576
    PAX Prime 2014 Buttoneering!
  • Options
    BekerBeker Child's Play Program Director SeattleRegistered User, Penny Arcade Staff regular
    vespachica wrote: »
    I may have missed this in the thread so forgive me if I'm repeating, but my parents decided to take a trip this year instead of going camping with my little one, so any advice on taking a 6.5 year old? She's super into games, actually, so I have no doubt she'll have a great time. I am local, so relaxing in a hotel room is not an option.

There was a bunch of discussion on this in an old thread for East, much of relevant for any PAX. Hope that helps.
    http://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/155012/east-pax-east-2012-parents-and-kids-meetup#latest

Summary seems to be, keep in mind large crowds, noisiness, take breaks in quiet area's, and only you know your child best.

-Beker/Erick
    zx6ak2M.png
  • Options
    DreamwriterDreamwriter Registered User regular
    Beker wrote: »
    Summary seems to be, keep in mind large crowds, noisiness, take breaks in quiet area's, and only you know your child best.

And don't forget you need pass for her as well, don't wanna get there and THEN find out that she can't get in.

• Options
    vespachicavespachica SeattleRegistered User regular
    She's under 7. She doesn't need a pass.

ufq9gj8383nh.png

• Options
    Hive_MindHive_Mind Registered User new member
    edited August 2012
    Hey, my cousin's awesome boyfriend swayed me out for a long overdue Seattle visit with PAX tickets, I've never been, though I've gone to may a comic-con on the east coast. Aside from awesome restaurants I'm hitting, I have no idea how much money to bring, or even what's on sale at the convention proper. At the NYCC there are prints, comics, statues, original art, etc. But are there vendors at PAX? What do they sell? I had a friend mention that they spent almost $400 but he didn't specify on what (I'm assuming hookers since he hasn't responded). I figure knowing what wares would be hawked I'd have a better idea how much to bring. Thanks.

Hive_Mind on
  • Options
    anifirebirdanifirebird Registered User regular
    They sell hookers by the bucket so bring plenty of cash. Dollars, if possible.

As for a serious answer: I couldn't answer it, I've only been to East once and I didn't buy anything at East. Except the Scarf. I got that mother effer! I don't plan to spend hardly ANY money except for food/drinks/entertainment. But that's just me.

• Options
    Custom SpecialCustom Special I know I am, I'm sure I am, I'm Sounders 'til I die!Registered User regular
    Hive_Mind wrote: »
    Hey, my cousin's awesome boyfriend swayed me out for a long overdue Seattle visit with PAX tickets, I've never been, though I've gone to may a comic-con on the east coast. Aside from awesome restaurants I'm hitting, I have no idea how much money to bring, or even what's on sale at the convention proper. At the NYCC there are prints, comics, statues, original art, etc. But are there vendors at PAX? What do they sell? I had a friend mention that they spent almost $400 but he didn't specify on what (I'm assuming hookers since he hasn't responded). I figure knowing what wares would be hawked I'd have a better idea how much to bring. Thanks.

Many booths do have things available for purchase (keychains, t-shirts, stickers all the way up to statues and figurines), but it isn't the main focus of most of them. I've seen Monday Night Combat character statues, I think a few companies sell their headphones and Gunnar is there with glasses.
    So, there is some high dollar loot to be had if that's what you want, but overall the main draw is just being there and taking everything in.
    Keep in mind you're probably going to be walking out with at least a few t-shirts, posters, buttons and stickers just for visiting booths all weekend.

The simplest answer is to just bring as much as you're comfortable spending and see what you can find.

XBL: F4ll0utBP | STEAM | PSN : CustomSpecial | Bnet: F4ll0ut#1636
  • Options
    jonxpjonxp [E] PC Security Registered User regular
    Hive_Mind wrote: »

Many booths do have things available for purchase (keychains, t-shirts, stickers all the way up to statues and figurines), but it isn't the main focus of most of them. I've seen Monday Night Combat character statues, I think a few companies sell their headphones and Gunnar is there with glasses.
    So, there is some high dollar loot to be had if that's what you want, but overall the main draw is just being there and taking everything in.
    Keep in mind you're probably going to be walking out with at least a few t-shirts, posters, buttons and stickers just for visiting booths all weekend.

The simplest answer is to just bring as much as you're comfortable spending and see what you can find.

While the big videogame related booths generally don't have much to sell, the tabletop booths almost always have stuff. Add to that the many booths that are really just stores (like Pink Gorilla and J!NX), plus the additional little shops set up by vendors and bands in the non-expo hall areas, and you have LOTS of potential to find something cool that you'll wish you had cash for.

Every time you write parallel fifths, Bach kills a kitten.
    3DS Friend Code: 2707-1614-5576
    PAX Prime 2014 Buttoneering!
  • Options
    GeekyPrincessGeekyPrincess Registered User regular
    vespachica wrote: »
    I may have missed this in the thread so forgive me if I'm repeating, but my parents decided to take a trip this year instead of going camping with my little one, so any advice on taking a 6.5 year old? She's super into games, actually, so I have no doubt she'll have a great time. I am local, so relaxing in a hotel room is not an option.

This is my third year going with kids, my youngest just turned 8. Biggest thing for us has been showing them what the enforcers shirts look like in case we get separated. When it starts to get overwhelming on the main floors head for the console freeplay area and play for awhile. My girls loved going to bandland and meeting Paul and Storm and JoCo, they were seriously beside themselves after that one!

Cookie Brigade Prime 2011 and 2012!
    Shipping cookies for Prime 2013
  • Options
    vespachicavespachica SeattleRegistered User regular
    Great advice, thank you! Yes, I thought of the enforcers and I think I'll slip my phone number into her pocket so if she does get lost she'll have my number (she already knows my name :P ). I've never done anything with the console freeplay so that could be fun for me, anyway.

ufq9gj8383nh.png

• Options
    sanovahsanovah Nerd of the West San Diego, CaliforniaRegistered User regular
    What's the best day to buy merch/do vendors and exhibitors usually not sell item x until day y? Currently debating whether I need to bring or buy a second bag for merch and my flight back. So knowing if I can just buy everything I may want on Friday or if I have to wait all weekend and try and then hope I can find a bag somewhere before I leave.

• Options
    CaptainTapoleCaptainTapole Awesome in the Possum - Yee-Haw! Northern CaliforniaRegistered User regular
    edited August 2012
    sanovah wrote: »
    What's the best day to buy merch/do vendors and exhibitors usually not sell item x until day y? Currently debating whether I need to bring or buy a second bag for merch and my flight back. So knowing if I can just buy everything I may want on Friday or if I have to wait all weekend and try and then hope I can find a bag somewhere before I leave.
    Best Con-Merchandise Rule Ever: If you see it, it is available for sale and it is within your budget, buy it.

No, really. It works for any convention of any sort.

As for a second bag, you could stuff some of your clothes into your carry-on bag so you have a bit of space for merchandise/swag you want to bring home.

CaptainTapole on
    The Girl Who Gave Everyone the Shortest Jenga Game Ever.
  • Options
    Best Con-Merchandise Rule Ever: If you see it, it is available for sale and it is within your budget, buy it.

As for a second bag, you could stuff some of your clothes into your carry-on bag so you have a bit of space for merchandise/swag you want to bring home.

Well I guess the real question I want/need answered is do the few vendors that sell stuff sell everythng every day or do they only sell item a on day x? Since I'm skipping the keynote and hitting the expo hall first thing, if I can do all my shopping on Friday and enjoy the rest of the con not worrying about "oh I want that gota get in that 2hr line, id much preffer to do that.

• Options
    CaptainTapoleCaptainTapole Awesome in the Possum - Yee-Haw! Northern CaliforniaRegistered User regular

Well I guess the real question I want/need answered is do the few vendors that sell stuff sell everythng every day or do they only sell item a on day x? Since I'm skipping the keynote and hitting the expo hall first thing, if I can do all my shopping on Friday and enjoy the rest of the con not worrying about "oh I want that gota get in that 2hr line, id much preffer to do that.
    Unless they want to be sneaky, it's usually a couple of specific items that could be either PAX-exclusive or Con-exclusive or we-only-sell-it-online-but-we-are-giving-you-a-discount-here-exclusive and it normally goes throughout the weekend. Sure, it could be limited, but it honestly varies from company-to-company whether it's x-amount per day or once-it-is-sold-out-it-is-sold-out.

The Girl Who Gave Everyone the Shortest Jenga Game Ever.
  • Options
    Double since I cant edit on my phone.

How hot and or cool is it normally in Seattle during PAX? Coming from southern California and debating whether to bring a swimsuit and or jacket.

• Options
    mikegonzalezmikegonzalez Registered User regular

Something I've been wrestling with as well. The keynote seems like such an important part of PAX, but I've heard that people waiting in que room often rush right to the merch area to get the shirts and whatnot before they sell out.

"I'm a reasonable guy. But, I've just experienced some very unreasonable things."

XBL: ii Mike G ii - PSN: Greddy21 - Steam: notmikegonzalez - Slytherin - Death Eater
  • Options

Something I've been wrestling with as well. The keynote seems like such an important part of PAX, but I've heard that people waiting in que room often rush right to the merch area to get the shirts and whatnot before they sell out.

Yeah I was gonna go to the keynote, but with how busy ima be between panels and parties as well as not knowing much about penny arcade or ted price I decided id rather spend it with the community in the expo hall. MTG is going to love me though if they're acutally selling stuff. Getting back into that stuff so...yeah

• Options
    tsrblketsrblke Registered User regular

Last year I didn't make it to the Merch area until after a pass through HaloFest and I think a pass through the Expo hall, and still got my PAX '11 Shirt. YMMV, but my feeling is "make it there before lunch" still gives you a good chance at getting one of the shirts. (Since there's apparently 3 this year, the numbers may change.)
    (It's actually coming back to me, it was just before lunch, because my wife was saying she was hungry in line so afterwards we went back to the Hotel and ate and I changed into my first ever PAX shirt.)

• Options
    PayneTraynePayneTrayne Canuck Registered User regular
    Also if you see something that Penny Arcade (I imagine this rule applies to every other vendor too) has in your size and you're thinking about buying it later, just buy it then. I remember having trouble finding many things on the late night Saturday of PAXEast.

PAX East 2015:Get on Pokecrawl Team Yellow Silver [ ] Pass [X] Vacation Time [X] Hotel [X] Flights [ ] PAX East 2015 Complete [ X ] Sell Extra Set of Badges because Friend Bailed [ ]
  • Options
    tsrblketsrblke Registered User regular
    Also if you see something that Penny Arcade (I imagine this rule applies to every other vendor too) has in your size and you're thinking about buying it later, just buy it then. I remember having trouble finding many things on the late night Saturday of PAXEast.

^^^Yes this. Same goes for swag that requires some sort of competition or whatnot, if they have it, and you want it bad enough, do the thing (in my case it was a Bioshock quiz last year.) Don't interpret my earlier comments as "you have infinite time" interpret them as "Don't feel the need to stress yourself into an aneurysm" there is a happy middle ground ;).

• Options
    bushmaster2000bushmaster2000 Registered User new member
    Can i bring a laptop or tablet with me for passing the time in the lines? I know people talk bout DSs and Vitas but i've just got my laptop and tablet.

• Options
    BekerBeker Child's Play Program Director SeattleRegistered User, Penny Arcade Staff regular
    Generally those selling things don't hold anything back, they want to sell out, they don't want to have to ship things home. For those giving swag away, they sometimes do hold some back for the each day, since they want people to come visit their booth multiple times, they are selling something else, the swag is just to get your attention.

Far as temperature, it varies significantly. Weather outside will likely be 60's or 70's, but really you will not likely be spending much time outside, so I would worry more about your comfort indoors. Inside can vary a lot depending on where you are. I'd advise t-shirt, with a jacket\sweater if you tend to get cold. Personally I do shirt & shorts all weekend, accepting that early morning and late night i'll have brisk walks from building to building.

Keep in mind that there is no bag check at Prime, so anything you bring you will have to carry all day.

-Beker/Erick
    zx6ak2M.png
  • Options
    ctiwolfctiwolf Registered User regular
    Can i bring a laptop or tablet with me for passing the time in the lines? I know people talk bout DSs and Vitas but i've just got my laptop and tablet.
    I would probably limit it to your tablet. I'm sure you could but shuffling through the line with a laptop would be uncomfortable and you'd just look plain silly

• Options
    cloudeaglecloudeagle Registered User regular
    Tournament question: if I enter a tournament and it's a game that I don't play every waking moment of every day, will I get utterly demolished in the first round? I'm actually thinking Puzzle Bobble.

Switch: 3947-4890-9293
  • Options

How hot and or cool is it normally in Seattle during PAX? Coming from southern California and debating whether to bring a swimsuit and or jacket.

It's going to be warm inside and from a California standpoint cool outside. I'm bringing a hoody for the times I'm outside in hopes that I don't freeze.

That bring said, I'm from Seattle and live in NorCal now, I have a sweater on if it's in the 60's!

• Options
    KevaduKevadu Registered User regular

Unless you want to bring one of these, I don't think you'll get much use out of a laptop. The problem is it's really hard to use a laptop while standing, and that's what you're going to be doing most of the time.

• Options

It's going to be warm inside and from a California standpoint cool outside. I'm bringing a hoody for the times I'm outside in hopes that I don't freeze.

That bring said, I'm from Seattle and live in NorCal now, I have a sweater on if it's in the 60's!

Warm what!?!? Do they have heaters blasting at 90 cause that's the only way to get hotter than southern Cali

• Options
    EvilEvincarEvilEvincar Registered User regular

Warm what!?!? Do they have heaters blasting at 90 cause that's the only way to get hotter than southern Cali

I know the lineup room in the Sheraton was excessively humid and warm last year; probably due to lack of ventilation. Most areas won't be that bad, but will be will be warm just due to the amount of people.

Max sig size: 500x80px or 4 lines of text
    EvilEvincar.png
  • Options
    phoophoo Registered User regular
    weather reports mid to high 60s, no rain still! But that's not excuse not to layer. :)
    Unless you want to bring one of these, I don't think you'll get much use out of a laptop. The problem is it's really hard to use a laptop while standing, and that's what you're going to be doing most of the time.

That is what a wearable computer is for! Course, they've passed out of vogue now that phones are so powerful.

• Options

Between all the people, electronics on the expo floor, people, lack of high power A/C and more people it gets hot!

• Options
    mynameaintyaomynameaintyao Registered User regular
    Someone mentioned that if you have an exhibitor badge, you can get into the expo hall an hour early on Saturday or Sunday? Any truth to that?

This discussion has been closed.