As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/

City of Heroes or Villains or Rogues

• -SPI--SPI- Osaka, JapanRegistered User regular
    Apart from sidekicking, the chat system in CoX made every other game look like plastic cups with a string between them by comparison.

I will always have fond memories of playing this with forum duders. Playing aorund with 3 or 4 masterminds on the same team, hilarious. And Team Squadron was and will remain one of the most memorable fun times in an MMO ever.

• flammiebcflammiebc Registered User regular
    Oh hey, this was great news to discover by word of mouth floating around pax, since mobile connectivity is basically hosed in the convention center as usual. The fact that CO will now outlive it is probably the worst travesty here.

Sucks more that because they're disbanding the studio, all the work on their next mmo has effectively been for nothing.

Switch: SW-7753-7176-1119
    PSN: LucidStar_BC
  • HenroidHenroid Mexican kicked from Immigration Thread Centrism is Racism :3Registered User regular
    flammiebc wrote: »
    The fact that CO will now outlive it is probably the worst travesty here.

CO has some years to go before it matches the lifetime of CoX. And come to think of it, City of Heroes has stood up alongside as long as (longer than?) WoW has at this point, that's pretty impressive. It didn't have 10 million subscribers but they stuck to their fucking guns.

• MackenzierMackenzier Gold Star Police Ninja Lurking... less than usual.Registered User regular
    This is a serious downer to stumble across today... I'm in the crowd of haven't played in quite a while but always took a little joy in the option of being able to hop back in and dish out some justice in Paragon City. I'll always miss my original Broadsword/Regen Scrapper, or my Rad/Rad Defender or the dozens and dozens of other combos I've slapped together over the years. Hell, this game helped me develop my writing creativity simply by giving me the option to write in a backstory to the original character kernel that popped in my head.

At least the guys over at Paragon can walk out with their heads high, knowing that they rumbled with the big boys of the industry and held their own for a long time. (Small solace as that may be.)

Steam: Mackenzier
    FFRK: 9rRG
  • NocrenNocren Lt Futz, Back in Action North CarolinaRegistered User regular
    I remember during one of the first free weekends (like totally free for everyone) during the sub days, we had people coming back and new people.

We somehow wound up in the Hollows. And we just CRUSHED it. There were about 3 full times of us sidekicked to various levels, just steamrolling through the area where Flux was. We were actually out killing the mob spawns, spouting 300 quotes.

newSig.jpg
  • OwenashiOwenashi Registered User regular
    Dropping a double-shot of my first CoH character, Starbang in his original and PA SuperGroup costumes.

Qdnmr.jpgNxJal.jpg

Anyone got a character that still flies the SG colors?

• WhippyWhippy Moderator, Admin Emeritus Admin Emeritus
    This is fucking disgusting.

• ElQuackElQuack Registered User regular
    This just pisses me off. Especially since it smells like they were canned while they were still profitable.

• Gennenalyse RuebenGennenalyse Rueben The Prettiest Boy is Ridiculously Pretty Registered User regular
    The most disappointing thing about this to me is how it's ending. I always knew it would end. Maybe not this soon, but I was prepared for it happening. I was prepared for the devs someday coming out and saying "well, the game's coming to an end. But don't worry, we're going out in style!" and then talking about a grand game ending event.

Instead we're getting...this. Devs all but thrown out on the street, no warning, no grand finale. Just "you're fired!" followed by a whimper.

• Gigazombie CybermageGigazombie Cybermage Registered User, __BANNED USERS regular
    Yeah, fuck NCSoft. I don't plan on ever supporting any of their games ever again.

• PonyPony Registered User regular
    Positron was saying they're not even sure if they'll have forums access next week.

There will be no grand event, no last hurrah

the devs have all gotten their pink slips

• HenroidHenroid Mexican kicked from Immigration Thread Centrism is Racism :3Registered User regular
    My first main-character pretty much set in stone one of my favorite tech based designs. Elec/Elec brawler from years and years ago.

joulieskylar1.jpgjoulieskylar2.jpg

And the first alternate costume:

joulieflightsuit.jpg

Then I realized how much I hate elec defense. So then I made Suplex Sam and rolled with people here on the forum for a while.

suplexsam.jpg

I need to see if I have any shots of his alternate costume, which was this baby-blue spandex wrestling outfit. Goddamn was it gold.

And then my only max level character, Civil Disorder.

civildisordercostumes.jpg

• Regina FongRegina Fong Allons-y, Alonso Registered User regular
    I still have the screenshots of my main guy, Tom Quantum.
    Tom_Quantum1.jpg

Ahhh, the Undead-slaying Axe. More powerful than my post-ED Radiation Blast attacks, sadly.
    undeadslaying_axe.jpg
    TQ-4.jpg

Even though the character got nerfed horribly until finally I couldn't stand it anymore and left, I have always had a soft-spot for the game.

There's quite a few people in this thread bashing Champs Online, and while I'm sorry some of you guys dislike the game, I thought I'd mention that the reaction in our game to this games demise has been depression. Virtually every single one of us used to play CoX, and even though we left for various reasons not a one of us wanted to see it die.

• RingoRingo He/Him a distinct lack of substanceRegistered User regular
    Robo the Clown:

Robo1-1.jpg

And Robo in the Tux:

Robo2-1.jpg

Sterica wrote: »
    I know my last visit to my grandpa on his deathbed was to find out how the whole Nazi werewolf thing turned out.
    Edcrab's Exigency RPG
    Yeah, fuck NCSoft. I don't plan on ever supporting any of their games ever again.

The cold-blooded, abrupt nature of this does make me really steamed at the top brass over there. What the fuck, man.

Also oh god people posting character screens. :(

• LawndartLawndart Registered User regular
    Man, I need to log in at least one more time to screenshot my favorite characters. That's going to be extra-special depressing.

There's quite a few people in this thread bashing Champs Online, and while I'm sorry some of you guys dislike the game, I thought I'd mention that the reaction in our game to this games demise has been depression. Virtually every single one of us used to play CoX, and even though we left for various reasons not a one of us wanted to see it die.

Yeah. There's a topic on the closure over at CO's forums and while I haven't checked it recently, the first three or four pages have been full of posts much like ours over it. I think a CO-player would have to be a real jerk or idiot to celebrate the closure and think CoH's existence played no part in CO being around.

• WeX MajorsWeX Majors 8th Floor, MegashipRegistered User regular
    I have so many shots of me dicking around with you guys. Imgur is gonna get flooded.

Oh wow, the page that hosts the .pdf scans of the two CoH comic-series is still up! I dunno about you guys but I plan to download all of those as quick as I can.

• ScooterScooter Registered User regular
    Pony wrote: »
    Positron was saying they're not even sure if they'll have forums access next week.

There will be no grand event, no last hurrah

the devs have all gotten their pink slips

Yea, the first MMO I ever played was Earth & Beyond, which was killed by EA a month after I started playing it. And even EA just killed their new development and let the devs give it a graceful death.

All I can imagine is that this is an idiotic move to try and make their stock numbers look better (somehow) for the next quarter or two, because the company is run by people who have never understood CoH at all. Remember when they tried selling CoH to Koreans and how hard it failed? The kind of gameplay design CoH used just didn't fit the mindset of Korean gamers at all. I mean, not trying to paint all Koreans with the same brush and all, but this move seems really insensitive to the hundreds of thousands of current and former CoH fans and I feel like they don't know what the fuck they're doing. The more I think about it the angrier I get. I know after E&B, I swore never to play another EA MMO again, which I only broke with TOR because BioWare's basically my favorite game company.

I'll dig up my massive character list here...

CoH's Korean launch failed spectacularly

I feel that the fact that it's the only NCSoft game that isn't in the Korean market at all is a factor in it getting killed like this.

CoH's Korean launch failed spectacularly

I feel that the fact that it's the only NCSoft game that isn't in the Korean market at all is a factor in it getting killed like this.

Agreed, but it was NCSoft that botched that launch, not the dev team. You told us that story yourself in [chat], Korean players didn't understand not having "gear" but enhancements, didn't understand visual character customization being divorced from statistical effect enhancing items, and instead of having a launch that introduced the new players to this new and interesting system, it threw it at them and they naturally didn't respond to the game.

I think CoH could have been wildly successful if launched properly in asia. As things stand right now there are robust French and Brazilian communities on CO, proving that superheroes are not some exclusively American thing.

hahahahah "robust Brazilian community" just requires a game being free

or should i say

huehuehuehuehue

• ScooterScooter Registered User regular
    edited September 2012
    Encyclopedia Scooterica
    First off, of course is Scooter. Force Field superspeedster mutant, uses his powers for fame and celebrity. (FF/Energy Defender)
    Scooter1.jpg
    Scooter2.jpg

The Shining Spirit, former cop and martial artist who was given mystical artifacts by her master, giving her great speed, strength, regeneration, and flashy yellow skin whenever she puts them on. (MA/Regen Scrapper)
    Shining1.jpg
    Shining2.jpg

The Sable Spirit, (non-identical) twin sister of Shiny. Born with the mutant powers of psionics and blue skin, she never quite cut it as a hero until joining with the Warshade Sabelion. (Warshade)
    Sable1.jpg
    Sable2.jpg
    Sable3.jpg

The Aegis Phantom, a disciple of the Japanese mystic school known as the Path of the Living Light. She summons light elementals to fight by her side, and can manipulate light as if it were a solid object. (Illusion/FF Controller)
    Phantom1.jpg
    Phantom2.jpg

Nordic Golem, a Viking smith who was tricked into creating a cursed axe, and was then murdered by it, transforming him into a mindless stone golem. After his axe was recovered from a collection of Hellion artifacts, he has since done the bidding of Power's Allegory. (Stone/Axe Tank)
    Nordic1.jpg
    Nordic2.jpg

Lady Threnody, Praetorian of Operative Threnody. Born into a family of privilege and powers, she always wanted powers of her own. Unfortunately, the doctors she hired to give her cybernetic upgrades went far further than she had agreed to, losing most of her limbs, skin, and organs in the process. Humbled by her loss, she joined the Resistance to fight against those who believe in power at all costs. (Elec/Elec Dominator)
    LadyThren2.jpg
    LadyThren1.jpg

Lady Parabellum, trained to be an assassin from birth. She fled her order after being upset at being unable to choose her own targets, and has become a vigilante so that she can kill without worrying too much about her conscience. She loves to shoot things, and she is very, very good at it. (DP/Psi Blaster)
    LadyPara2.jpg
    LadyPara1.jpg

La Espina, a Columbian mutant born with great control over plant life. She was 'bought' at a young age by the drug cartels to create faster-growing, more potent crops, and later to act as an assassin. She became a free agent mercenary after Hollywood Nocturne killed her bosses, but has never enjoyed her life of crime and is working to redeem herself. (Plant/Thorns Dominator)
    Espina1.jpg

Alraune (aka "Blind Al"), a Germanic archer who was promoted to the ranks of the Valkyries in death. However, she wouldn't shut up about how the Valkyries ought to be doing more on Earth to help the mortals, and was eventually blinded, bound with Fire Giant chains, and banished for her annoyances. Someone must've liked her, though, as she can now sense her targets with even greater accuracy, and even control the flames. (Archery/Fire Blaster)
    Alraune.jpg
    Alraune2.jpg

Shapshu was once a fire sorceress, until she was chosen to become the avatar of the Canaanite Sun Goddess. For centuries she has done her bidding, and these days is investigating why an avatar of Lotan has become active in the Rogue Isles. (Fire/Thermal Controller)
    Shapshu.jpg
    Shapshu2.jpg

By day, he is a mild mannered President.
    B-Rock1.jpg

But by other times of the day...
    B-Rock2.jpg

He. IS. B-ROCK SUPERALLAH!
    B-Rock3.jpg

Sarah Helms has been many things in her life. She was once the Battle Medic, a pacifist healer, but after being abandoned to a 5th Column prison for several weeks, she turned to a life of vigilantism and psychosis. First in Paragon (AR/Dev Blaster):
    H-Judgment3.jpg
    H-Judgment1.jpg
    H-Judgment2.jpg

Then in the Rogue Isles, after forcing a few minor gangs to aid her at gunpoint (Thugs/Traps MM):
    V-Judgment1.jpg
    V-Judgment2.jpg
    However, after spending a few weeks in the hospital and losing her eye in a fight with a future Lord Recluse, she came to terms with her life and re-devoted herself to heroism as a Longbow Warden (MA/Shield Scrapper):
    Ward-Justice.jpg

Overlord Slider is the Praetorian version of Scooter. Instead of turning his force fields to defend others, he focused them on turning himself invincible. Like Scooter he desires adoration and power, unlike Scooter he enjoys causing pain to get it. (Energy/Energy Brute)
    Slider2.jpg
    Slider1.jpg

Splendid Spirit is the Praetorian version of Shining Spirit. Also a PPD veteran, she instead took her artifacts from her master and turned him in for being resistance. Her artifacts are slightly different, and instead allow her to move more swiftly through time as she fights. (KM/WP Scrapper)
    Splendid1.jpg
    Splendid2.jpg

Operative Threnody always wanted powers, and volunteered for an Arachnos Super Soldier power to get them, in the form of Sonic abilities. However, her program's funding was cut, her powers taken, and she was reassigned to the Blood Widows. Angered by this, she now pushes the limits of her authority to take back as much power as she can get. (Widow)
    Op-Threnody1.jpg
    Op-Threnody2.jpg

Lotan, an avatar of the Canaanite serpent God of Sea and Storms. Lotan was annoyed by the presence of the Coralax in his oceans, and sent his avatar to learn more about them, and destroy them if necessary.
    Lotan1.jpg
    Lotan2.jpg

Huntress Fenja, a Nordic Frost Giant who has long hated mankind. She fights now for Arachnos as they value combat and warfare, but she existed before them and expects to exist for long after. (Bane Spider)
    Fenja1.jpg
    Fenja2.jpg

Hollywood Nocturne, former black ops agent turned mercenary. He lost all sense of patriotism after killing many considered to be heroes in southeast Asia and South America, and went freelance. His powers come from a variety of sources gathered by Malta, and allows him to convert himself to a form of black smoke, giving him the ability to fly, regenerate, and create concealing clouds. (Merc/Dark MM)
    Hollywood.jpg

Bellatrix Belle, a special operative of the galactic police and peacekeeping force, the Squadron. When criminals hide in time as well as space, they call in a temporal operative like Belle. Permanently assigned to Earth, she's just returned from a stint in 1850s London. (Beam Rifle/Time corr)
    belle1.jpg
    belle2.jpg

An agent of the underworld goddess Hela, Hela's Huntress exists to do her bidding on the mortal plane. (Demons/Pain MM)
    hela.jpg

A young couple, both biologists, were ambushed and apparently killed by poachers while exploring their native India. One, though, was brought to a secret temple where she was merged with a spirit of nature, becoming the Jungle Justicar. (Dual Blades/Ninja Stalker)
    just1.jpg
    just2.jpg

Count all the crows you want, but when Hell needs a thief, they call the Seventh Magpie. (Mace/Fire brute)
    magpie.jpg

The Praetorian Ms. Judgement was a combat medic for the Syndicate criminal empire. After spending some time in the tender care of Emperor Cole's prisons, she decided organized crime wasn't enough and became an all-out terrorist for liberty. (Dual Pistols/Empathy defender)
    msj.jpg

The Praetorian Sable Spirit, Sable Seer never merged with a warshade. Instead, she was admitted to Mother Mayhem's Seer program, where she was too inward-focused to ever fit in. Instead she has been reassigned to Power Division to see if she is an asset or a liability. (Psi/Mind dominator)
    sableseer.jpg

Brought back for a chance at redemption: Tarpeia (wiki it, bitches) (Dual Blades/Willpower scrapper)
    tarp1.jpg
    tarp2.jpg

A mechanical and electrical engineer, Warren Smith built himself a power suit for power punching: the War Smith project. (Invince/Energy tank)
    war1.jpg
    war2.jpg

A doctor in biochemistry by training, weather-controlling mutant Angela Winters gained interest in interdimensional physics when her superhero sister was lost in space-time. Using a suit built by War Smith, she became Warpstorm. (Gravity/Storm controller)
    warp1.jpg
    warp2.jpg

A member of Squadron laid off by budget cuts, the criminal-tracker Yrrrlrr decided to become the earth-based PI known as Detective Yowler, helping Vanguard and the PPD on extraterrestrial cases. (Sonic/Psi defender)
    yowler1.jpg
    yowler2.jpg

Pink Glove. She's got a bio but I'll just leave it to your imaginations.
    pink-1.jpg

Scooter on
  • The Dude With HerpesThe Dude With Herpes Lehi, UTRegistered User regular
    Here's my guys. Never got anything to the cap, probably never will unless someone ticks the "10x XP" box before they turn out the lights. :(

Kingshand:
    Kingshand_1.jpg
    Kingshand_2.jpg
    Kingshand_3.jpg

Labyrinthos:
    Labyrinthos_1.jpg

'Nam:
    Nam.jpg

Magnus Xavier and crew:
    Magnus.jpg

Sad sad sad panda. :(

Steam: Galedrid - XBL: Galedrid - PSN: Galedrid
    Origin: Galedrid - Nintendo: Galedrid/3222-6858-1045
    Blizzard: Galedrid#1367 - FFXIV: Galedrid Kingshand

hahahahah "robust Brazilian community" just requires a game being free

or should i say

huehuehuehuehue

'cism

Heh, Scooter, Alraune reminds me of a concept I worked with but never really played. Flying archer.

techangelfemalt.jpg
    techangelfemalt2.jpg

• CyberJackalCyberJackal Registered User regular
    Sad times, guys. I've messed around with a few other MMOs, but CoX was definitely the one I spent the longest with. Also, the only one where I was part of a community.

Thinking about how long CoX has been a part of my life, it's really crazy that in just a couple months it's going to be gone forever.

• StericaSterica Yes Registered User, Moderator mod
    City of Heroes has probably done more revolutionary shit in MMOs than a lot of the trumped up stuff you see today. Shit, it was probably more casual-friendly than WoW has ever been.

The game had no real loot to speak of besides enhancements and inspirations. The combat kept things simple with a handful of skills that you chose from your build. The game tried to move away from the healer/tank/damage roles, particularly with healing. While heal-focused Defenders existed, you could keep the party trucking with more buff or debuff-oriented powersets. The game focused on missions about as much as WoW did with quests, albeit things did dry up here and there in the game's infancy. Task Forces were lengthy story-focused arcs that really challenged your group and normally climaxed against a supervillain of some time. It really made the game less intimidating to get into.

Shit, it was a game ahead of its time. Badges were basically achievements before Microsoft had ever thought of the concept. It had one of the greatest character creators ever, allowing for an insane amount of customization and personal tweaking. It was an MMORPG that wasn't just the standard fantasy or sci-fi. It was also an evolving world, where the story would bring drastic changes. The ousting of the Fifth Column was pretty crazy even if it was just swapping some names here and there. Shit, you got a goddamn comic book every month or so just by being subscribed (let's ignore that they tapped Tim fucking Buckley for "bonus comics" at the end of the issue), which was not terrible for a freebie!

The feel was also really solid. City of Heroes taught what the word "mob" meant for incredibly wrong reasons. This is because you literally fought mobs of enemies in City of Heroes. You didn't one-on-one or any of this bullshit: an average solo pull could be around 10 bastards depending on the group. You felt like a badass straight from Security Level 1, and things just escalated as you went from common thugs, to robots, to plant people, to fucking Nazi werewolves, and then you find out that the homeless are being turned into aliens. Shit was just insane, and this doesn't get into the alternate dimensions that are trying to kill everyone. All wrapped up in what felt like a large city, including areas that felt like warzones from alien assault or local villains. Or maybe the big monster that Hazard zones tended to house.

I didn't play CoX a ton, but I was hooked when I did. In some ways I am a little upset that WoW dragged me away from it, and was glad to give the game another two months when Villains came out, and then another month when Going Rogue launched. It was my first MMORPG, and one of the reasons I stopped lurking to post here. It showed me one of the potentials of video games that I was never aware of: creating vast, believable worlds that you actually got to play in as opposed to treated most of it like background.

YL9WnCY.png
  • WeX MajorsWeX Majors 8th Floor, MegashipRegistered User regular
    I was *literally* just talking about how much a "Healer" and "Tanker" and various other types simply weren't needed in this game and why it makes it infinitely better.
    Fuck You NCSoft.

Another of my favorite aspects of City of Heroes' design was the NPC factions progressing along with you. Like yeah, the 5th Column was soldiers at the start, but eventually you're fighting goddamn monsters and crazy robots.

I loved the concept of Ouroboros. Especially when they started linking access to phased-out or out-leveled content through it.

• AccualtAccualt Registered User regular
    I lost all of my screenshots in a hard drive failure years ago. Now I'm super sad by that....really wanted to post the Team Squadron post cards I had made.

• Jesus McChristJesus McChrist Registered User regular
    Well, was a fun six years or so.

if you can read this i hope you have a good day partner
  • Eat it You Nasty Pig.Eat it You Nasty Pig. tell homeland security 'we are the bomb'Registered User regular
    man I guess I should get in and and take some screens

I dunno if I can even get to all my characters, since I'm just a freebie

or maybe they'll unlock everything in the last couple months, if they won't let people pay for it?

NREqxl5.jpg
    it was the smallest on the list but
    Pluto was a planet and I'll never forget
  • JacobkoshJacobkosh Gamble a stamp. I can show you how to be a real man!Moderator mod
    I would love to see Kuchera do a look at this and at exactly what happened.

rRwz9.gif
  • The Dude With HerpesThe Dude With Herpes Lehi, UTRegistered User regular
    Jacobkosh wrote: »
    I would love to see Kuchera do a look at this and at exactly what happened.

I...kinda don't? I mean, I dunno, I've been considering picking up GW2, but if it's gonna make me really really angry at NCSoft as opposed to being annoyed, but kinda blissfully ignorant of what actually happened....I don't want to feel guilty about buying GW2.

Steam: Galedrid - XBL: Galedrid - PSN: Galedrid
    Origin: Galedrid - Nintendo: Galedrid/3222-6858-1045
    Blizzard: Galedrid#1367 - FFXIV: Galedrid Kingshand

Henroid wrote: »
    Another of my favorite aspects of City of Heroes' design was the NPC factions progressing along with you. Like yeah, the 5th Column was soldiers at the start, but eventually you're fighting goddamn monsters and crazy robots.

or all the stuff with the Lost and the Rikti and THE BIG REVEAL related to that

Henroid wrote: »

or all the stuff with the Lost and the Rikti and THE BIG REVEAL related to that

That's the nice thing about CoH. I dunno how it goes in DC's MMO but CoH was 100% original lore so you could have all sorts of stories and characters without stepping on anyone's toes or violating any 'do-not-create' guidelines.

sK1Ha.jpg

Well, for the most part anyway.