As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/

City of Heroes or Villains or Rogues

• ShawnaseeShawnasee Registered User regular
    Is there any other game with player housing that you could edit? Or be functional?

I'm hoping this gets picked up or something.

This was my first MMO...my wife's first(only)MMO.

I'm at a loss here...don't dig this feeling at all. I've never gone through a game shutdown.......

• AccualtAccualt Registered User regular
    edited September 2012
    Snap, found some on ImageShack.

Accualt - my very first guy. I played him for 12 hours straight, along with a number of PAers, on the first day CoH went live. He was always my main, even when Defender's became the suck.
    acchoverok6.jpg

<3
    accscootoffendersbffpv5.jpg

Suck it, Hammy! Laser Eyes!
    screenshot2007072118084ki3.jpg

Accualt was not a fan of invisible powers on the ladies.
    hardconvosy3.jpg

Mr. Ice Cream - My main villain and the creepiest thing I could think of. He was the reason you never saw children running around Paragon City. Also he had ice cream cones for eyes.
    mriccrimebp3.jpg

he eventually became creepier.
    mrictrenchzh2.jpg

The Squadron! - just a hilarious themed group of alien police officers who really didn't understand Earf.
    agglomerateaa0.jpg

Eventually they tried to blend in
    pfeweatherns8.jpg

Sonic Squadron
    sonickberrtqw8.jpg

Accualt on
  • HenroidHenroid Mexican kicked from Immigration Thread Centrism is Racism :3Registered User regular
    Oh man, guild bases were the coolest thing in this. As long as it was done with true style. I've seen a bad base or two.

Also, I need to know what the hell is going to happen with the established setting. I mean, is NCSoft just going to sit on it, or sell it and let someone continue things in another game?

Also Accualt's images aren't showing for me, wut.

• PonyPony Registered User regular
    The Titan Network dude, TonyV, is gonna try to find a way to save the game

I wish him well.

• WeX MajorsWeX Majors 8th Floor, MegashipRegistered User regular
    might want to fix that code dawg :)

One of the things that I think gets glossed over in the fact that they don't deal with Elves and Orcs and Shit, is that by going with a modern setting it allows the game to throw in more tiny details to make the world more realistic because we know what that world is like. So of course in the section of the city that's the most isloated, in a zone surrounded by magical creatures out of ancient folk-lore, on a time that's super random with a very small encounter chance, is it any wonder this exists
    screenshot_2006-07-15-03-13-04.jpg

And it's entirely possible for a freemium player to go through the game normally, and never really learn about it at all.

• HenroidHenroid Mexican kicked from Immigration Thread Centrism is Racism :3Registered User regular
    Pony wrote: »
    The Titan Network dude, TonyV, is gonna try to find a way to save the game

I wish him well.

That would be cool as shit, but I'm not gonna get my hopes up. :(

• The Dude With HerpesThe Dude With Herpes Lehi, UTRegistered User regular
    Yeah I really highly doubt NCSoft would let not only the IP be handled by some (effectively) random people; but the amount of stuff that would have to be transferred to new administrators...it's never gonna happen.

Steam: Galedrid - XBL: Galedrid - PSN: Galedrid
    Origin: Galedrid - Nintendo: Galedrid/3222-6858-1045
    Blizzard: Galedrid#1367 - FFXIV: Galedrid Kingshand

• LawndartLawndart Registered User regular
    Well, I might as well share some of my favorite character/concept/costume combinations. This isn't every character I had, just the more visually interesting ones:

Audio Science
    Kin/Sonic Defender - Hipster club DJ turned superhero after discovering her mutant power to control soundwaves when the Skulls raided one of her warehouse parties.
    mIJfO.png

Betty Noir
    Thugs/Dark Mastermind - Introverted classic movie buff sells her soul to become a film noir femme fatale.
    Main costume:
    SrXCB.png
    Guns blazing:
    GTP3a.png
    Alternate glamour dress:
    GCcri.png

Libertease
    Super Strength/Invulnerability Brute - Paris Hilton meets Captain America.
    2dMug.png

The Savage Amazon
    Broadsword/Shield Brute - My "evil Wonder Woman" homage.
    TJUn3.png

Sister Sledgehammer
    Invulnerability/Energy Melee Tanker - My '70s blaxploitation/Luke Cage homage.
    zSjzL.png

Sister Sputnik
    Electric/Electric Blaster - Former Soviet-era robot heroine is reprogrammed for a post-Cold War era.
    s0HRU.png

Libertease is so fucking brilliant, oh my god.

My wife and I were rolling at Libertease!

Bravo sir...bravo.

• NarbusNarbus Registered User regular
    MOTHERFUCKERS.

narbus, hold me

God this is going to be the worst part, seeing all these guys who I *knew* had way more time invested than I do, suddenly showing up because they just found out or whatever.
    I can't believe how much this just bums me out.
    I did way too much shit with you dudes over the years, I can't even keep track
    screenshot_2009-04-12-03-38-34.jpg

screenshot_2009-03-24-00-33-35.jpg

screenshot_2009-02-01-02-12-58.jpg

screenshot_2009-05-19-02-02-52.jpg

screenshot_111011-22-09-25.jpg

I'm gonna miss the fuck out of you guys.

• Al BaronAl Baron Registered User regular
    WeX Majors wrote: »
    screenshot_111011-22-09-25.jpg

I'm gonna miss the fuck out of you guys.
    This game had the best worst dances and I love it for that.

steam_sig.png
  • LepLep Registered User regular
    Man I was thinking about resubbing too.

No, seriously, motherfucking goddammit.

WeX Majors wrote: »
    screenshot_2009-05-19-02-02-52.jpg

"YOU'RE A SENSATION!"

YESSSSSSSSSSSS

narbus, hold me

Pony I'm scared.

• LepwaveLepwave Registered User regular
    The end is here.

XBL/CoX tags - Lepwave/@Lepwave
    steam_sig.png
    Not even getting a "Oh the Rikti destroy hero and villain kind alike and take over earth" scenario for server shutdown.

I am so much more upset about this than I ever expected to be.

• MuddBuddMuddBudd Registered User regular
    God I am gonna be bummed about this for a while.

Champions just doesn't cut it, and I have no interest in DC Online. I don't want to be second banana to Superman.

Maybe someone will take this as a sign they need to make a newer superhero game in the vein?

There's no plan, there's no race to be run
    The harder the rain, honey, the sweeter the sun.
    Apparently, I had an unprecedented ability to never remember which button took a screenshot with the UI, and which took a blank shot. So for most of my earliest pictures, I actually ended up snapping a lil slice of life in Paragon City circa 2006. I had just graduated from Film School. I had moved back to New Jersey, with no idea how I was supposed to approach the future.
    You guys were clearly my only grip on sanity
    http://imgur.com/a/yl9CM

Narbus wrote: »

I have never been this angry about a video game before.

Ever.

I feel like I'm not just losing a game, I'm losing a hobby.

The best comparison I can make, and I made elsewhere in the forum tonight, is like if Games Workshop suddenly announced not only were they discontinuing Warhammer 40,000, within the next two months they are coming to your house and melting all your hand-painted miniatures into scrap so you can never, ever play with them again.

Literally just yesterday I started working on a new AE arc series. I will never get to complete it because as of midnight PST, my account was no longer VIP and it's impossible for me to resubscribe for the next couple months, and as a freemo I have no AE access.

I am so fucking furious about this.

Ever.

The best comparison I can make, and I made elsewhere in the forum tonight, is like if Games Workshop suddenly announced not only were they discontinuing Warhammer 40,000, within the next two months they are coming to your house and melting all your hand-painted miniatures into scrap so you can never, ever play with them again.

Literally just yesterday I started working on a new AE arc series. I will never get to complete it because as of midnight PST, my account was no longer VIP and it's impossible for me to resubscribe for the next couple months, and as a freemo I have no AE access.

Whoa, I didn't know it went that far, what the fuck. I thought the note was just stopping people from reupping after their latest VIP date came up.

Henroid wrote: »

Ever.

Whoa, I didn't know it went that far, what the fuck. I thought the note was just stopping people from reupping after their latest VIP date came up.

My account was supposed to re-up on the 1st of September.

As of midnight, PST, it became the 1st of September, and because they are no longer allowing re-ups, it automatically became Premium.

This is pretty much gonna happen to all of y'all over this month, if you're VIP now you won't be by the time the servers go down.

It makes me feel better that people are as outraged and hurt about this as I am.

Misery loves company and all that...

I am in the process of going through all my toons and screen shotting them. Every time I log onto a char I haven't been on in a while I feel like I should be doing something with them now.

Bah!

I can't go through all my dudes and screenshot them now because I am now permanently a Premium and cannot access all my dudes.

Also, was talking to a buddy of mine. On wednesday he had bought $50 worth of Paragon Points to buy power sets and shit and was all happy to be back into the game after almost a year absence.

Then this happens.

He contacted customer support and they refuse to refund his points

NCSoft are colossal assholes

Wow, I never heard the original login screen music until now. This is pretty majestic.

Shawnasee wrote: »
    It makes me feel better that people are as outraged and hurt about this as I am.

I am in the process of going through all my toons and screen shotting them. Every time I log onto a char I haven't been on in a while I feel like I should be doing something with them now.

Bah!

I don't want fucking screenshots. Those do nothing. I want to log in and run around and punch space nazis in their stupid nazi faces because they are nazis AND THAT IS WHAT ONE DOES. I want to like, download all my characters and make them dance whenever I want. Then put on new and more fancy hats and then make them dance again and then keep up my stupid little running Powerleveler story arc that only really existed in my head but it was still great and then I'd reroll Permadebt for like the 19th time and yeah. I want to play this stupid little game more. And now I can't.

They better be refunding long-term subscribers at this point.

• StericaSterica Yes Registered User, Moderator mod
    I think the worst part is that this means no sequel.

Paragon Studios did an admirable job picking up where Cryptic left off. In fact, Cryptic kinda went off the deep end after they left CoH. Without Paragon Studios, a sequel is highly likely to be a cynical cash grab, but I doubt NCSoft even cares about the IP. Shut down what you can and suckle from GW2's ample bosom.

YL9WnCY.png
    Shawnasee wrote: »

Bah!

I don't want fucking screenshots. Those do nothing. I want to log in and run around and punch space nazis in their stupid nazi faces because they are nazis AND THAT IS WHAT ONE DOES. I want to like, download all my characters and make them dance whenever I want. Then put on new and more fancy hats and then make them dance again and then keep up my stupid little running Powerleveler story arc that only really existed in my head but it was still great and then I'd reroll Permadebt for like the 19th time and yeah. I want to play this stupid little game more. And now I can't.

Are you trying to make me cry?

MORE?

• AstaleAstale Registered User regular
    edited September 2012
    So from what I'm reading of the collective rumors, the reason for the shutdown was that shutting down an mmo can be written off as a business loss same as anything else, except of course you can simply choose to shut it down at will. So, since CoX was just successful enough to hold a value on a ledger, but not enough it wasn't expendable, they're tossing it so they can come up with better numbers? And something about Aion being the cause of the issue as well somehow?

Is that really how it could work? Turn off a profitable venture and claim it as a loss for tax purposes?

Edit: Crazy sounding or not, it WOULD explain the sudden 'now now now' aspect of it and trying to have it completely shut down before the year ends.

Astale on
    I want to log in and run around and punch space nazis in their stupid nazi faces because they are nazis AND THAT IS WHAT ONE DOES.

That's what Civil Disorder was all about. "This chick is for punching fascists." Had her all written up to have the 5th Column and Council as nemesis.

• StericaSterica Yes Registered User, Moderator mod
    edited September 2012
    Well, generally speaking, you can see the writing on the wall for a shutdown. If WAR closed up, nobody would be shocked because it hasn't had content updates in two years. CoX still had planned stuff dor this fall, apparently? There was zero slowdown.

Sterica on
    YL9WnCY.png
  • Great ScottGreat Scott King of Wishful Thinking Paragon City, RIRegistered User regular
    Yeah, my first-ever character background was that the 5th column killed her father (who was a secret-agent type, although she never knew who precisely he worked for). I used to RP "arresting" random 5th every time I came across them whether or not it was worth any XP. Never did end up playing her that much (Claws/Regen didn't exactly set the world on fire after Issue 5 or so) but fun times were had by all...

I'm unique. Just like everyone else.
    Astale wrote: »
    So from what I'm reading of the collective rumors, the reason for the shutdown was that shutting down an mmo can be written off as a business loss same as anything else, except of course you can simply choose to shut it down at will. So, since CoX was just successful enough to hold a value on a ledger, but not enough it wasn't expendable, they're tossing it so they can come up with better numbers? And something about Aion being the cause of the issue as well somehow?

Is that really how it could work? Turn off a profitable venture and claim it as a loss for tax purposes?

Edit: Crazy sounding or not, it WOULD explain the sudden 'now now now' aspect of it and trying to have it completely shut down before the year ends.

This was written about in an article Pony linked in the SE++ thread about this, the article being from like 2009.

The thing about Aion tying into this is that it apparently isn't a hot game, doesn't bring business outside of Korea like City of Heroes does. But I guess NCSoft values Korean customers first and instead of slighting them, they're slighting their international consumers. Well, fine then, if this is all the case then I don't have to give them any business. "Oh here's some vouchers for our other games!" No, I want to play this one you goddamn geese.

• Great ScottGreat Scott King of Wishful Thinking Paragon City, RIRegistered User regular
    edited September 2012
    What I'll miss most, honestly, is sticky target-of-target. One of the many things that made CoX so dual-box friendly. Well, that and power sets like Sonic Resonance...
    xelCA.jpg

May as well post my most-often Main, who was Energy Blast / Energy Manipulation "Scrapping" way before it was cool (Issue 2):
    e8VRy.jpg

Great Scott on
    I'm unique. Just like everyone else.
  • flammiebcflammiebc Registered User regular
    Yeah, there was a lot of content on beta for i24 that would have brought back quite a few people. Feel rather bad convincing coworkers to play this in recent months, they were just beginning to really understand the game systems.

The costume sets on beta now (tech knight, cybertech, bodysuits) are some of the best ones to date, too :(

Switch: SW-7753-7176-1119
    PSN: LucidStar_BC