As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

City of Heroes or Villains or Rogues

• Options
    Eat it You Nasty Pig.Eat it You Nasty Pig. tell homeland security 'we are the bomb'Registered User regular
    I was probably gonna resub when i24 came out, at least for a month or two. Still don't understand why they don't just let people be VIPs until the shutdown, or at least sub up if they want to

I'll be curious to hear what they had coming down the pipe with the lore

NREqxl5.jpg
    it was the smallest on the list but
    Pluto was a planet and I'll never forget
  • Options
    override367override367 ALL minions Registered User regular
    This makes zero goddamn financial sense, just like THQ's new CEO wanting to drastically restructure Saints Row

Fuck NCsoft, what the fucking fuck

• Options
    ArchArch Neat-o, mosquito! Registered User regular
    Pony wrote: »
    I can't go through all my dudes and screenshot them now because I am now permanently a Premium and cannot access all my dudes.

Also, was talking to a buddy of mine. On wednesday he had bought $50 worth of Paragon Points to buy power sets and shit and was all happy to be back into the game after almost a year absence.

Then this happens.

He contacted customer support and they refuse to refund his points

NCSoft are colossal assholes

This is the worst part for me. They just released new power sets...what? A month ago? Two months? You can only get these powersets by paying for them (or having points saved up from subscribing)...so a lot of people did!

Whooooops no more for youuuu

I can't believe it is a "complete shutdown" sort of thing. Like

I just literally can't even process this. One of my favorite things was going in every now and then trying to make my dudes just right and I finally succeeded with a few of them!

Ugh if this was as shitty as it sounds, I feel really conflicted right now. On the one hand, Guild Wars 2 is like everything I wanted in a fantasy MMO, but now I feel bad for throwing so much money at them.

Why doesn't gaming have more good companies? It seems like every big name is a huge asshole.

• Options
    TubeTube Registered User admin
    I went and posted about all of my characters over here

http://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/comment/24165981/#Comment_24165981

I'm really going to miss @narbus who I used to play with the most other than @a duck!. He also built my dom for me and helped me with all my characters. I remember when he came into chat with the name "powerleveller" and I said "hey will you power level me" as a joke and he said "yes" and then he did and it was glorious. We must have spent hours doing that farm in the mission architect where dozens of monsters would respawn right on top of you. It didn't feel like farming though, it felt like super fun times.

• Options
    edited September 2012
    The only thing I could ever realistically complain about in city of heroes is this

The game, visually, shows its age with the older costumes and mobs.

Also oven mitt hands.

Both of these can be excused because it is like seven years old goddam and every other aspect of this game is (was?) more progressive than almost any other MMO out there.

Arch on
  • Options
    Rikidou HyuugaRikidou Hyuuga Registered User regular
    Guess they should have balanced their game back in the day to keep users. Oh well, maybe the next guy will learn from their example.

• Options
    jonxpjonxp [E] PC Security Registered User regular
    Dammit! I'm really going to miss my robot army. :-(

Is there any other mmo that gives an experience anything like playing a mastermind?

Every time you write parallel fifths, Bach kills a kitten.
    3DS Friend Code: 2707-1614-5576
    PAX Prime 2014 Buttoneering!
  • Options
    SpongeCakeSpongeCake Registered User regular
    edited September 2012
    Accualt wrote: »
    Snap, found some on ImageShack.

The Squadron! - just a hilarious themed group of alien police officers who really didn't understand Earf.
    agglomerateaa0.jpg

Eventually they tried to blend in
    pfeweatherns8.jpg

Sonic Squadron
    sonickberrtqw8.jpg

Maaaaaaan I totally almost forgot about Squadron. I can't find a pic of my Samurai Catfish dude anywhere. Sadface.

Edit: Haha, found some pics of him in his civilian "MIB" costume. Loved this guy.

cosmicfq3.jpgearfstylerl7.jpg

SpongeCake on
  • Options
    edited September 2012
    Man so

I just realized that city of heroes is like

the reason I posted on the forums

So bear with me for a little (another) sob story

So I was in college, it was freshman year. I was fucking depressed out of my mind because what the fuck am I doing with my life, why am I a theater major? and I fucked up a lot of classes. Lost my scholarship and went on academic probation. To get my scholarship back I had to take a 300 level course as a freshman who failed two classes and get an A. This wasn't like some bullshit "you fucked up" course, it was Environmental Political Theory (arguments about political science courses' validity are notwithstanding). Problem is, to take this course I had to be on-campus, and my campus was not where my parents lived. I decided that I didn't want their help, and there were a lot of problems at home, and I basically just left home and drove to my college town, calling people.

Finally one of my buddies said I could sleep on his living room floor for the month and a half I needed to take this course. In between reading shit loads of political theory, writing essays every week, and participating in round-table debates to earn my A, I also was the busboy at a Cowboy-themed restaurant. I wore boots that were three sizes too big around a kitchen, bussing tables for chump change while driving around college on a moped because my car melted down.

I read the PA comic already, but one day I clicked on the forums button because why the fuck not. I started reading the creepy stories thread in D&D and that was fucking sweet. That kept me going for a while- coming home after a long class, getting in my cowboy outfit, mopeding to work, coming home and writing an essay...the only way to relax was to read the forums.

Also, during this time the house I was in had a flea problem, I was dirt broke and basically eating salsa and saltine crackers every meal. I also was so stressed out and flea ridden that I broke out in huge hives constantly.

Once I finished the creepy stories thread I began checking out the other subforums- found the old city of heroes subforum and got a huge kick out of reading the crazy antics and costumes everyone came up with. Everyone seemed to get along and have a great time playing together so I thought "Well fuck, I guess I can get some money together and get this game." I did just that...but was too shy at that time to really play with anyone. I picked up city of villains and thought the game was super fun though, so I stuck with it for a bit. Creating a new character, breaking out of jail over and over again, testing new powers, punching snakes in the face...it made my shitty life a little bit better.

To make it a bit better, I made an A in the course I was in, switched my major and got my life around, but I always kinda wished I had played with people. I mentioned that I posted once or twice to whoever forumer I had the nerve to randomly chat with, and they said "you should post more".

So I kinda did, and now I feel like one of those guys whose posts I read back in the day.

This kinda got really away from me, but the point here is that without city of heroes, I probably wouldn't be posting on these forums. I learned builds, saw characters people were posting that gave me inspiration...and in recent years have been pulled in again and again by Pony, Thomamelas and Jake.

RIP City of heroes. Will miss trying to conquer my alt problem to get a guy past level 15. Will miss plant control, one of the best-designed powersets in any MMO. Will miss the lore and characters that for some reason really grabbed hold of you and made you want to be a part of the world. Will miss the mature RP furries, even.

Arch on
  • Options
    OH FUCK, hahaha I forgot about the Squadron!

I registered a photobucket account back in the day to post my squadron guy's picture!
    brainsquadron.jpg

BEHOLD BRAIN SQUADRON

• Options
    skyknytskyknyt Registered User, ClubPA regular
    edited September 2012
    I'm gonna miss you, Kaus. BS/DA Scrapper on Virtue.
    64480_original.jpg

skyknyt on
    Tycho wrote:
    [skyknyt's writing] is like come kind of code that, when comprehended, unfolds into madness in the mind of the reader.
    PSN: skyknyt, Steam: skyknyt, Blizz: skyknyt#1160
  • Options
    Devlin_DragonusDevlin_Dragonus Gorgeous Dallas, TXRegistered User regular
    i lost all my screen shots. Ive rebuilt my computer too many times.
    I had one for 1st day of Game right after the First PA Super group was registered.
    It was a group shot.
    i dont even have a photo to remember you by.
    I would get regular emails, smile fondly and think, someday.

(I had written something else after this first paragraph but it got very personal and dark. related to a loss and how COX helped me through it. Suffice to say, some of my happiest moments were due to this game)

I got nothing for you now. Try again later.

• Options
    NocrenNocren Lt Futz, Back in Action North CarolinaRegistered User regular
    Wow... You know, I was thinking about getting back into GW since I can still play it and I never finished any of the campaigns, but now I'm not sure I want to, thanks to NCsoft.

newSig.jpg
  • Options
    ScooterScooter Registered User regular
    Yea, one of my coworkers was trying to talk me into GW2, and I'm taking the week off so I was thinking of trying it. Not really eager to toss money NCsoft's way right now, even though I know it's not GW's fault.

• Options
    Sigh.... Dammit...

I liked the story, setting and lack of grinding. Every other MMO for me get 1.5 or 2 but not all 3 like CoX did.

newSig.jpg
  • Options
    TryCatcherTryCatcher Registered User regular
    edited September 2012
    I'm not throwing money to a company that just says "Whelp, Pool's Closed, pack your shit" out of the blue like that.

Also, I have a policy of waiting 6 months to see if an MMO flops before going for it.

TryCatcher on
  • Options
    Gear GirlGear Girl More class than a state university Registered User regular
    edited September 2012
    Scooter where he belongs..
    1AceK.jpg

Squadron after whooping Dr. Vahzilok's ass.
    lxbao.jpg

After beating the Dr. Quarterfield TF. Yup we did that.
    DNI6u.jpg

Gear Girl on
  • Options
    NarbusNarbus Registered User regular
    Tube wrote: »

I'm really going to miss @narbus who I used to play with the most other than @a duck!. He also built my dom for me and helped me with all my characters. I remember when he came into chat with the name "powerleveller" and I said "hey will you power level me" as a joke and he said "yes" and then he did and it was glorious. We must have spent hours doing that farm in the mission architect where dozens of monsters would respawn right on top of you. It didn't feel like farming though, it felt like super fun times.

Man I miss you tons, too.

• Options
    LawndartLawndart Registered User regular
    While I haven't played every MMO under the sun, it seems to me like City Of Heroes was the last MMO where each server had its own unique community and associated culture and history.

And almost certainly will be the only MMO where you herd Nazi werewolves into dumpsters and then set them on fire.

• Options
    Agent VesagoAgent Vesago Half Iago. Half Fu Manchu. All Bastard. Registered User regular
    I'm gonna miss this game.

Clowns.jpg
  • Options
    Raw ConcreteRaw Concrete Registered User regular
    This is sadder than I thought it would be; I expected this was coming but just not so soon. Especially when the game had so much good content coming out. Not my first MMO, but the longest I played one for sure. Started out on Champion with some friends around I2, and then playing Foul Flame with you guys when I suddenly got the City itch again. Most people have said what I'd want to say about the game at this point, but while not perfect it's still been worth paying and playing for many years. I hope the people associated with CoX land on their feet.

I don't think I ever took many screenshots, and I tended to solo a fair amount but I'll see if I can dig up anything interesting. Lots of good times playing the game and chatting in the channel, I'd even forgotten about that Dr Q. The lazily named Colonel Syberia--Ice/Rad troller & my first non scrapper to 50--is teabagging it up second from right.

Oh, come and shake me 'till I'm dry
  • Options
    Tube wrote: »

I'm going to remember all the TFs we went on where, even on a team of eight, it was really just you and me because we had broken things so hard the rest of the team didn't matter. If they could keep up fine, whatever, but they were mostly there to listen to us make fun of each other. Then sometimes they'd get mad at one of us because we had said something "too mean" and you and I would just laugh and laugh and then run off, hand in hand, and murder everything ever.

• Options
    Fartacus_the_MightyFartacus_the_Mighty Brought to you by the letter A.Registered User regular
    edited September 2012
    jonxp wrote: »
    Dammit! I'm really going to miss my robot army. :-(

Is there any other mmo that gives an experience anything like playing a mastermind?

Not really. Kingdom Heroes was an RoTK-based MMO where you could get a number (depending on class) of semi-autonomous soldiers, but the USA/Aeria version of that game was shuttered in April.

The Mastermind was the epitome of pet classes, as far as I am concerned, and there's no other MMO out there that has one like it. Most MMOs have some kind of pet mechanic, but it almost always involves a pet that's either a one-trick-pony (i.e. a DoT with fancy graphics) or does several things but poorly. Aside from KH/CO, you'd also be hard-pressed to find a game which allows multiple pets at once.

Ironically, the closest you can get is in Champions Online. If you have access to freeform characters (via subscription) you can build a dude that can summon a decent menagerie of pets while also having support powers. Unlike CoH, however, getting enough pets in CO to use them as your primary damage output will require you to be thematically eclectic. Unless your theme is a treehugging magedruid who builds robots and consorts with demons in his spare time.

Fartacus_the_Mighty on
  • Options
    Decided to snatch a few screenshots with UI elements in. These were taken in late 2007-early 2008. In retrospect, I was probably playing a lot at that time because I was working for a company that was falling apart.

A few shots from Private Attractions, the hooker/pimp (and thanks to Sponge, abortion doctor) super group. Juvenile and silly as hell, a lot of fun.
    rhSiG.jpg
    EuYy0.jpg

Japh being...well, Japh. Wonder how hard this news hit ol' Japhster?
    Rhi60.jpg

Not an epic example, but bad bio. And chatting with Flammie about his working on that terrible crafting accolade.
    frZJi.jpg

• Options
    Regina FongRegina Fong Allons-y, Alonso Registered User regular
  • Options
    MyDcmbrMyDcmbr PEWPEWPEW!!! America's WangRegistered User regular
    See! See!

Next time I say something like "NC Soft are a bunch of assholes" maybe I won't get 15people dog piling me about how they aren't.

I was never a big CoX fan, NC Soft being the reason I never really played it, but that still blows that you all are losing a game that you love. :(

Steam
    So we get stiff once in a while. So we have a little fun. What’s wrong with that? This is a free country, isn’t it? I can take my panda any place I want to. And if I wanna buy it a drink, that’s my business.
  • Options
    ShawnaseeShawnasee Registered User regular
    @Raw Concrete...we had a similiarly themed SG called the Working Girls. No male toons allowed.

Wife made a strip club, with VIP rooms, in the base.

Not buying GW2 now.

Assholes....

• Options
    OwenashiOwenashi Registered User regular
    Quoting this from the CoH thread in SE in response to the last couple of posts here:
    Owenashi wrote: »
    Macro9 wrote: »
    I was going to buy Guild Wars 2 today, but I'm actually debating on whether or not I should give any money to NCsoft.

Of course that would be punishing the developers too and it's not like it's their fault NCsoft pulled this shit.

Yeah, I think that's what people who are upset enough to refuse playing any more NCsoft products are forgetting. Actually, PAX is going on right now, isn't it? I've never been to one but would there be any NCsoft people there at the moment to promote GW2's launch? I'd hate to be them right now if that's true.

• Options
    Eat it You Nasty Pig.Eat it You Nasty Pig. tell homeland security 'we are the bomb'Registered User regular
    it isn't really about punishing the company or whatever

it's just like, why do I want to play online games overseen by a company that has this kind of attitude toward the user base?

NREqxl5.jpg
  • Options
    edited September 2012
    I24 will never see the live servers. All the stuff on test, including the last two missions of SSA2, Bio Armor, the new super packs, all the new costumes, all that stuff is going to stay on test. I'll never have any idea what the next five incarnate slots were going to be. I"ll never get to break the shit out of Radiation Armor. The devs said I25 was going to finally see the the Coming Storm, so I'll never know what that was going to be like (and I've been waiting for that one for five fucking years).

It's not like NCSoft gave the game any time at all to wind down. So all this stuff that I was really looking forward to, that was actually in the pipeline and on its way, is just never going to happen.

So, with that knowledge, if I ever did pick up GW2, then eventually, like eight years later, I'd have to go through this again when its numbers started dropping. And I'd have all this shit that was going to be awesome, and it would just sit in some notebook that no one would ever get to do anything with, and that fucking sucks.

So I'm pretty comfortable telling NCSoft to fuck itself forever.

Narbus on
  • Options
    supposedly positron et al will at some point take to the forums and explain all the lore shit that we don't know about yet

NREqxl5.jpg
  • Options
    WeX MajorsWeX Majors 8th Floor, MegashipRegistered User regular
    So, at this point, it seems like Champions isn't as shit as it once was. Why?
    Vehicles motherfuckers
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=lFReyE2htr8

I might end up checking this out at some point.

• Options
    OwenashiOwenashi Registered User regular
    Yeah, it's kinda funny they're finally adding 'mounts' to a superhero MMO. The Nighthawk Jets are just a taste though as CO's devs plan to add a proper selection that you can customize their abilities and most likely looks as well.

• Options
    I'm a pretty hardcore lurker, but I know that people that post here (and not just company reps) are involved in working on both CoX and GW2. I don't wish them ill of course. I could tell that Fearghas was pretty proud of contributing to the new DA, and I've seen posts from people excited about what they're bringing in the new Guild Wars. You kind of want people that have been working hard on something they're passionate about to succeed.

NCSoft's actions aren't exactly making me want to buy GW2, but I don't really want to see all the people working on GW2 suffer just because bean counters keep acting like bean counters either.

• Options
    JohnHamJohnHam Registered User regular
    I reinstalled and bought 1200 PP literally six days ago and I am not even mad, just really, terribly sad that this game's going away. I remember lowbie Sewer Groups in Atlas. I remember a few epically protracted Positron runs with PAers that had me up until godawful late. I bought every retail expansion that exists for this game and I absolutely feel like it was well-spent.

I never liked CO, and despite trying a few other MMOs over the years, none of them stuck like CoH. It was too beautiful for this world.

signature.png

• Options
    LawndartLawndart Registered User regular
    Honestly, as much as I hate the idea of CoX ceasing to exist, if they simply hired all of Paragon Studios to work on Guild Wars 2, I'd at least not loathe NCSoft quite as much.

Or, you know, perhaps the folks at Cryptic might want to hire some folks with experience at creating new content for a F2P superhero MMO.

• Options
    SpongeCakeSpongeCake Registered User regular
    Decided to snatch a few screenshots with UI elements in. These were taken in late 2007-early 2008. In retrospect, I was probably playing a lot at that time because I was working for a company that was falling apart.

A few shots from Private Attractions, the hooker/pimp (and thanks to Sponge, abortion doctor) super group. Juvenile and silly as hell, a lot of fun.

Haha, Dr. C Hanger. I really did forget that guy. I had a Chelsea Smile in that VG too. Man, those hookers were awesome.

So many good times in this game. So many inappropriate characters....

• Options
    Regina FongRegina Fong Allons-y, Alonso Registered User regular
    Lawndart wrote: »
    Honestly, as much as I hate the idea of CoX ceasing to exist, if they simply hired all of Paragon Studios to work on Guild Wars 2, I'd at least not loathe NCSoft quite as much.

Or, you know, perhaps the folks at Cryptic might want to hire some folks with experience at creating new content for a F2P superhero MMO.

This.

Cryptic does fire people, but for the most part rather than just cut tons of people loose they try to shift them over to a different game. Unfortunately, this has happened a lot to CO lately with a lot of talent being moved over to Star Trek and Neverwinter. I get the feeling that the people who are working on CO work quite fervently at it, but I also get the feeling that it is very much a game that they aren't throwing a lot of resources at.

• Options
    Well, how many at Paragon were originally with Cryptic before NCsoft bought the IP?

newSig.jpg
  • Options
    PonyPony Registered User regular
    Nocren wrote: »
    Well, how many at Paragon were originally with Cryptic before NCsoft bought the IP?

I think Positron was the only one left