As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/

[Star Wars: Edge of the Empire PbP (OOC)] It's not my fault!

• TalonrazorTalonrazor Registered User regular
    So I want surveillance, I need to choose a secondary spec that has it, right? Do we have anything that covers what actually those skills completely cover? I want something that does investigation; something give him the ability to study a thing further and find out all the little things about it.

sig4.jpg
  • InkSplatInkSplat 100%ed Bad Rats. Registered User regular
    Talonrazor wrote: »
    So I want surveillance, I need to choose a secondary spec that has it, right? Do we have anything that covers what actually those skills completely cover? I want something that does investigation; something give him the ability to study a thing further and find out all the little things about it.

Don't have to take a Spec with it, no, so long as you're willing to spend an extra 5XP per rank.

And I don't have the full skill breakdown done yet, but I will. These Talent Trees are just taking me some time, as they are hella tedious. But I'm almost there!

But let me give you a breakdown of Perception/Surveillance:

Perception: Based on Cunning. Perception is awareness of your environment, picking up on subtle cues to notice dangers, advantages, or even a familiar face. This is how a character notices concealed or subtle cues when he is not actively seeking them out.

Offers a chance to spot a trap, to notice a disguised individual when not actively seeking them, to pick something out of an overheard conversation, notice the smell of a Jawa, or even get a hint of the drug that got slipped into their drink.

Basically, its about your passive awareness.

Surveillance: Based on Intellect. Surveillance is what you use when you want to carefully watch a target, tracking activities and seeking vulnerabilities. Any active effort to observe, using any of the character's innate senses or technical devices, are governed by this skill.

A quick survey of the area is Surveillance, while what you pick up while strolling through in the middle of a conversation would be Perception.

Operating a sensors to analyze a planet, asteroid, or other vessel. When actively searching for hidden items.

Origin for Dragon Age: Inquisition Shenanigans: Inksplat776
  • GrimmyTOAGrimmyTOA Registered User regular
    InkSplat wrote: »
    One thing that I'll point out is that Skills and Talents can be purchased later in play, but Characteristics can't. You can raise them via the Dedication Talent at the bottom of every tree, and some cybernetic implants, but otherwise you are what you are. So, make sure your stats are where you like them.

Ah, thanks. That changes things a bit. I've reorganized some stuff.

Alright, all the Career Tech Trees are up. Later tonight I should have Force-Sensitive Exile up, and then skills, and Gear, and then we'll be good to go on my end.

Ok, so I have been writing about my idea for this character and it fucking took off. It is like, three pages and growing. I just really like the idea of some commercial regulatory special agent for the Old Republic watching the government collapse in bureaucratic inefficiencies while trying to fulfill his species' need for both personal achievement and predatory tracking. I like the idea that instead of being a martial predator, his is like the Findsman of accountants. Plus, having a special agent that does commercial regulations set during the Clone wars is pretty interesting.

@kilnaga you around to kick around some ideas of how our guys meet up? I am thinking this guy probably worked with Eshka's father at some point in some intelligence service and maybe his dad asked him to go check on his son? Kind of a "lost son still loved by father" type of angle?

sig4.jpg
    Talonrazor wrote: »
    Ok, so I have been writing about my idea for this character and it fucking took off. It is like, three pages and growing. I just really like the idea of some commercial regulatory special agent for the Old Republic watching the government collapse in bureaucratic inefficiencies while trying to fulfill his species' need for both personal achievement and predatory tracking. I like the idea that instead of being a martial predator, his is like the Findsman of accountants. Plus, having a special agent that does commercial regulations set during the Clone wars is pretty interesting.

@kilnaga you around to kick around some ideas of how our guys meet up? I am thinking this guy probably worked with Eshka's father at some point in some intelligence service and maybe his dad asked him to go check on his son? Kind of a "lost son still loved by father" type of angle?

Take a look at the Slicer talent tree I just finished, as that could potentially fit a theme like that.

So I am thinking Colonist Career with Scholar Spec. If I pick up the Slicer or Thief Spec, how does that work exactly? I am into the Stats now and it is a little confusing.

sig4.jpg
    edited September 2012
    Ok, I think I got the first run of him done. If we want to rebuild him to fit a better role in the party, no problem. He can be a lot of different things, stat-wise, and still fit the backstory. I think I got the XP expenditure correct, I wanted to focus on personal stats mostly. I can alter specs and skills to make him fit a better niche, though.

Vaqoroy Aldasi - Gand Former Special Investigator of the Bureau of Logistics & Supply Chains Office of Law Enforcement, Republic Department of Commerce

Talonrazor on
    sig4.jpg
  • KilnagaKilnaga Registered User regular
    I'll go back over where I spent my points and change them. I clearly didn't spend enough on stat points.

"The psychedelic mind is a higher dimensional mind, it is not fit for three dimensional space time."
    - Terence McKenna
    What do you think of the idea of combined backstories?

sig4.jpg
    I'm open to it.

"The psychedelic mind is a higher dimensional mind, it is not fit for three dimensional space time."
    - Terence McKenna
    edited September 2012
    @Talonrazor One mistake is your extra XP from Obligations. You can take an extra 5 or an extra 10, but not both. So you'd have 5 less XP.

As for taking Slicer or Thief, it would just cost you 10xp. 5xp for taking a Spec inside your Career (apart from your free first one) or 10xp for a Spec outside your Career. No free skill points though.

InkSplat on
    Dang, ok. So I need to drop something. I don't think I could get another Spec without dropping more stats. And it seems like those are locked in once done with creation.

sig4.jpg
    You can always grab the specs later, so definitely worry about your stats more than anything.

Ok, updated. Dropped the extra XP and rank 2 perception and added Respected Scholar.

sig4.jpg
  • HeirHeir Ausitn, TXRegistered User regular
    Very cool. I'm not familiar with this system yet, so I think I'll just watch in interest. Looks like fun. :)

camo_sig2.png
    Is anyone currently planning to make a Force-Sensitive Character, or can I skip that bit for now?

• Fondor_YardsFondor_Yards Elite Four Member: Hydra Registered User regular
    edited September 2012
    Kavilo Clan Tetsu

Backround:
    Growing up on Rodia, Kavilo had a revelativly normal life. His family was known in the Tetsu clan for being skilled actors, so from early in life instead of being trained to hunt and kill, he was trained in pretending to hunt and kill.

That changed during the Rodian Clan Wars, when the Chattza clan began it's quest to exterminate the Tetsu. Kavilo and his clansmen fought back but were hardly a match for the planet's ruling clan. First they fled to Enak, one of Rodia's moons, but wasn't nearly far enough to escape their grasp. Eventually Kavilo made his way to Nar Shaddaa where no one would notice one more Rodian among the masses. And even if they did notice, they wouldn't take heed of a few more bodies thrown in the back alleys.

Kavilo found his youth training to be a big help during these times. While many of his clan had become more peaceful (by Rodian standards), he certainly didn't have to worry about a lack of skills. Acting proved jsut as useful trying to slip through a security checkpoint as it did entertaining crowds. After arriving on the Smuggler's Moon, he made his way into one of the many Hutt's Organizations. This gave him some measure of protection from the rest as well as a way to slow start taking his revenge.

Career: Smuggler
    Specializations: Scoundrel

Characteristics:
    Brawn 2
    Presence 3
    Intellect 2
    Cunning 3
    Agility 3
    Willpower 2

Wound Threshold: 12
    Strain Threshold: 12

Talents:
    Black Market Contacts: When purchasing illegal goods, may reduce rarity by 1 per rank of Black Market Contacts, increasing cost by 50% of base cost per reduction.
    Convincing Demeanor: Remove (S) per rank of Convincing Demeanor from any Deceit or Skulduggery tests.
    Quick Draw: Once per round, may draw or holster a weapon or accessible item as an incidental.

Skills:
    Charm 1
    Deceit 1
    Knowledge (Underworld) 1
    Ranged (Light) 1
    Skulduggery 1
    Streetwise 1
    Survival 1
    Vigilance 1

Gear:
    Padded Armor
    Slugthrower Rifle
    Comm
    Vibro-Knife
    Stimpack x5

Credits: 500

Experience: 100

Spent Experience: 100
    Willpower 2: 20
    Presence 3: 30
    Cunning 3: 30
    Quick Draw: 5
    Convincing Demeanor: 5
    Black Market Contacts: 5
    Knowledge (Underworld): 5

Obligation:

Obession: Kavilo cannot forgive the Chattza clan for their destruction of his own. If member of the clan were encountered he would be duty bound by clan honour to get revenge for his fallen kin. At the head of the list would be Navik the Red, head of the clan and Inta'si'rina, Grand Protector of Rodia.

Debt +5(+1,000 Credits): When he first arrived on Nar Shaddaa, he had little to his name and a clan of angry Rodians who would love to kill him. He joined up with the local Hutt crime lords for protection and work, but such things come at a cost.

Motivations:

Ambition: Power: Chattza Clan is the current ruling power on Rodia, meaning Kavilo has little chance of getting revenge on his own verus them. In order to do so, he needs power, regardless if it takes form as money, influence or anything else.

Fondor_Yards on
    Secrets, lies, and tragedy. The trifecta.
    3DS Code: 5043-2172-1361
    Xbone Tag: Salal al Din
    @Fondor_Yards You did a strikethrough of half your character sheet, just fyi :P

@Fondor_Yards You did a strikethrough of half your character sheet, just fyi :P

Well he did say he might change a few things? :P

- Terence McKenna
    That's what I get for putting the description next to the talent. And apparently if you don't put an end bracket it keeps going.

That's what I get for putting the description next to the talent. And apparently if you don't put an end bracket it keeps going.

I didn't even think about that being a problem! Whoops.

Guess I'll need to switch to {} instead of [] when posting here in the thread.

• jdarksunjdarksun Struggler VARegistered User regular
    InkSplat, I grabbed the beta book from the FFG table here. Will read it on the plane tomorrow and post something tomorrow evening. Anybody post a force-sensitive pilot?

jdarksun wrote: »
    InkSplat, I grabbed the beta book from the FFG table here. Will read it on the plane tomorrow and post something tomorrow evening. Anybody post a force-sensitive pilot?

Nobody has gone for Force-Sensitive yet, so feel free.

If somebody is going to have pilot skills I might move those 5 points around to another skill then.

- Terence McKenna
    Alright, so, all the Talent Trees are done, Skills are up, Weapons & Armor & Gear lists are up, so feel free to go ahead and finish up your characters.

I should have the "How to play" doc done tomorrow, so, we should be good to go pretty soon. Huzzah!

edited September 2012
    Alright, so, all the Talent Trees are done, Skills are up, Weapons & Armor & Gear lists are up, so feel free to go ahead and finish up your characters.

I should have the "How to play" doc done tomorrow, so, we should be good to go pretty soon. Huzzah!

@InkSplat What was starting money again? I'm too lazy/busy with GW2 to look that up ATM.

Actually, I'm not seeing if it was ever listed. Just that it can be augmented with the Obligations.

Kilnaga on
    - Terence McKenna
    500 credits starting.

500 credits starting.

Ohh, thats brutal. I may take away the XP from the Obligation for the credits. I can't even afford a heavy weapon with 500 credits, and I'd like to make use of the fact I took it as a skill. :P

- Terence McKenna
    Uh do we start with any gear? Cause just a pistol eats up all our starting money.

Uh do we start with any gear? Cause just a pistol eats up all our starting money.

That's what I'm saying. :P

- Terence McKenna
    You don't start with any free gear, no. It pretty much forces you to choose between XP and starting equipment. Some things will be easily acquired once the game starts, but you do need to consider what you want to actually have on hand right at the gate.

You don't start with any free gear, no. It pretty much forces you to choose between XP and starting equipment. Some things will be easily acquired once the game starts, but you do need to consider what you want to actually have on hand right at the gate.

Makes sense I guess. I suppose with my backstory/obligation, if I went into debt to a Hutt to get started, I'd actually have money to spend on equipment. :(

- Terence McKenna
    I think it helps balance non-combat characters a bit. They don't need the credits, so they can have slightly higher stats and skills and more talents. But they're also squishy in the open.

What do some of those items even apply bonuses to? Also, what the hell is the difference between the 2 binoculars other than price?

- Terence McKenna
    Goddamn, this game is brutal.

So what is our party composite? Bounty Hunter with combat skills, Scholar with... knowledge and face skills, Rodian Scoundrel with criminal stuff and a force-sensitive pilot?

sig4.jpg
  • GrimmyTOAGrimmyTOA Registered User regular
    Explorer-type with a rifle, here.

Kilnaga wrote: »
    What do some of those items even apply bonuses to? Also, what the hell is the difference between the 2 binoculars other than price?

Not everything applies bonuses innately. The game is narrative, so you might get a bonus out of them if you can use them appropriately, but otherwise they are what they are.

So,mthe sensor goggles let you see better in low light, e macrobinoculars are basically scifi binoculars, and the next tier work in the dark, longer range, and can even record.

I'll go back and add some basic descriptions later today.

edited September 2012
    Kilnaga wrote: »

Not everything applies bonuses innately. The game is narrative, so you might get a bonus out of them if you can use them appropriately, but otherwise they are what they are.

So,mthe sensor goggles let you see better in low light, e macrobinoculars are basically scifi binoculars, and the next tier work in the dark, longer range, and can even record.

I'll go back and add some basic descriptions later today.

Well I grabbed the fancy ones, because I figured if they were more expensive they'd do cooler stuff. :P

I just grabbed a bunch of random items off the list after picking up my gun/armor. I figured most of the stuff could come in handy situationally: Backpack with lots of crap in it, rations, datapad, coms, restraining bolt, etc. I even got a nifty Utility Belt, every cool dude needs one of those.

Kilnaga on
    - Terence McKenna
    Hopefully somebody buys stimpacks at least :p

So, we've got 5 characters if I include jdarksun, right? That should be perfect.