As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/

[PRIME] 2012 Assassins Ball! (Ordering open until the 31st) [108!]

12346»

• LewieP's MummyLewieP's Mummy Registered User regular
    I killed someone yesterday - first time I've managed to do that, they were unimpressed.

For all the top UK Gaming Bargains, check out SavyGamer

For paintings in progress, check out canvas and paints

"The power of the weirdness compels me."
  • primalwulfprimalwulf Registered User regular
    Okay, two assassinations down, registered my kit via the wordpress site. . .but it doesn't accept my Registered Kills. Help?
    (feeling much better now that I assasinated 2 out of the 40 available .. but only 40? no wonder this game is so damn difficult)

• ottergalottergal Registered User regular
    And.. I got taken out fairly quickly this morning. I still haven't seen anyone with the shape my original target had - so I hope the next player had better luck finding someone than I did!

• TihshoTihsho Registered User regular
    edited September 2012
    Finally scored a kill yesterday, first person I spotted that matched my symbol managed to elude me via escalators, the second was playing halo at the machinima booth, waited for the match to end then I ended him.

Tihsho on
    A PAX in every mall! Genius!
  • edgeofbladeedgeofblade Warlock Houston, TXRegistered User regular
    I propose a battle royale slaughter. If you are still active, meet under the union street escalator at 1 pm. Let us go with a bang.

6YJGH2V.png
  • LewieP's MummyLewieP's Mummy Registered User regular
    Well, I survived! No-one killed me so I gave my kill prize to Vendal Thornheart cos he likes Assassin's Creed. Thank you, Mars, I really appreciate the work you put into this!

For all the top UK Gaming Bargains, check out SavyGamer

For paintings in progress, check out canvas and paints

"The power of the weirdness compels me."
  • TihshoTihsho Registered User regular
    Had a great first year playing, whenever i make it to another pax I'll be sure to play again. Finished strong with 2 kills and 3 things of intel and all without dying. Hats off to yah Mars for putting together a heck of a game!

A PAX in every mall! Genius!
    Totally fun time! Hey Mars.. first, thanks for all the hard work you did! Second.. (because I am a data geek) is there anyway to see who people reconned, etc, just for kicks? It would be interesting to see if people who lived were never seen or were seen all the time and not a good match (for example). Just curious! I will see you all next year!

• LegionnaireLegionnaire Registered User regular
    Just wanted to say this was really fun. Unfortunatley I got counter killed during my first assassination attempt. Oh well

• riryriry Registered User regular
    I had an absolute blast- got killed midway through Saturday, but I felt like an absolute ninja. Perhaps even a robotic one.

The guy who got me in the end told me that he hadn't even seen my badge when we traded buttons after running into each other on Friday. (When I consider how many people I saw wearing a badge versus the total population of PAX....I spent a lot of time being really, really lost and using random strangers as meat shields. It was awesome.)

I didn't have time for an actual signature, so here's a picture of a cat with a tinfoil hat.
    While the Gathering Intel was successful for three assassins, the combinations of 5-letter IDs and Death Codes for the three that I also killed consistently returned errors.

Completely unrelated to the rest of my posting, here, I DID have the entire line for Colonial Marines as well as the staff of Colonial Marines on lookout ALL morning on Sunday. :)

With only 48 registered kits among so many THOUSANDS attending PAX, this game was far more aggravating than engaging or interesting. I took no joy in camping out near the escalators on any given day (because that seemed to be playing _too_ efficiently and lacked any real challenge), because that seemed the only effective way to actually SEE someone who matched the shape (which was aggravating enough to find). This game would be SO much more fun with a critical mass (minimum 200 players for the attendance volume of PAX). Given the tech' errors on the WordPress site that prevented me from logging kills and the frustration with just finding the matching _shape_ (seriously, over 14 hours for a _first_ kill?), this makes this meta-game absolutely worthless in my mind. I really came into playing this game with a 'this'll be a BLAST!', had my signature death favors (folding umbrellas with the words 'You Only Live Once. . .' written on the umbrella tissue), and had my death gift (a folding fan with paper cranes on it). To only log three kills in roughly 40+ hours of playing makes it NOT WORTH IT.

• FourT2FourT2 SeattleRegistered User regular
    Scored 3 kills over 2 days. Didn't find my final target on Sunday though. This was fun, will do this again next year for sure!

pg1lub26cgqx.png
  • JeppyJeppy Maple Valley WARegistered User regular
    I was ripped off on my kills. There was a couple that was cheating and showed me some fake rules they must have made up and took my kills from me after killing me. I found out later the rules they had printed out were not valid. I had was pissed to find out later but there was nothing I could do because it was to late. I figured since there are people that cheated I will not participate in the Assassins Ball again. Cheating is total bullshit.

• Sharkey1337Sharkey1337 Registered User regular
    edited September 2012
    Jeppy wrote: »
    I was ripped off on my kills. There was a couple that was cheating and showed me some fake rules they must have made up and took my kills from me after killing me. I found out later the rules they had printed out were not valid. I had was pissed to find out later but there was nothing I could do because it was to late. I figured since there are people that cheated I will not participate in the Assassins Ball again. Cheating is total bullshit.

Ok, I'm pretty sure you're talking about me and my fiance. I was the Umbrella soldier at the Flying Frog Production booth.

First of all, you were completely misinformed on how kills worked: you have to match the badge SYMBOL in order to get a kill. The way you were telling us was that any assassin was free game. NOT TRUE. I specifically printed out the official rules posted by Mars in the OP in case such confusion happened at PAX, and boy am I glad I did. Had you kept my death code you wouldn't have gotten any points as they wouldn't have been any valid kills. I think you only had my faction on your mission card, but you needed my symbol. Please READ the rules and you'll see where you were misinformed.

Second of all, don't be a dick and call us cheaters. You had the misfortune in being my fiance's perfect kill, so you have only yourself for exposing yourself to her. The guy you were with was a perfect match on your mission card, so you could've taken him out and scored 500 points. Instead my fiance scored 1000 points because of that fiasco, but unfortunately the other guy didn't have his mission card so she had to sit out of the game for the rest of the day as it was pointless if she was killed and had no mission to give her killer. The other guy actually tried to kill her, but he was simply going off what you were told that any assassin was free game, not understanding the importance of the mission card.

ANYWAY, I had a lot of fun with this, even though I was legitimately killed later on in the Expo Hall while during picture taking. I was way too easy a target with my height and costume, lol. My fiance though was incredibly lucky as all 4 of her kills were perfect matches. Our friend Creamsteak gave himself up to her as he was her perfect match after 2 assassins attempted to kill him at the Saturday buttoneering meetup, which was a safe zone. We had a friendly agreement on not killing each other until that happened, lol. We later found her last kill (another perfect kill) outside the expo hall (can't remember her name though, ugh!), but she was very sweet and we got pictures together.

Ironically my fiance didn't want to play, had to convince her to sign up with me. Little did I know what a femme fatale she actually was, scoring 2060 (kshark2013 on the leaderboard) points in 2 days, LOL. We didn't have much internet access until we got back to our home in Missouri just now, so we totally missed out on the final challenge meetup on Sunday, totally would've shown! We simply didn't see any other assassins Sunday until the final buttoneering meetup, but the other woman and my fiance weren't matches for each other.

I'll probably skip out on future games as I'm simply too easy a target and I just can't see other assassins as well as they can me given my extreme height. My fiance won't be able to get to Prime until 2014, so her leading spot is definitely there for the taking with 2 Easts and 1 Prime in between for other assassins to rise in the ranks.

Thanks again for putting together an amazing social game to play at PAX, Mars! It was a pleasure to meet you in person! =D

Sharkey1337 on
    Hey Sharkey (waves to the soon to be missus), I was that last kill! It was a pleasure meeting both of you! I think that a couple of people didn't quite get the rules just based on a couple of interactions I had with folks. Trust me, if it were a free for all, I'd have real scores next to my name!

The only frustrating part for me was the scarcity of my particular target. Even though I'd died by then, I didn't even see a valid kill for me until mid day Saturday. Didnt diminish my fun though!

Although it looked like less than half the people who signed up even registered their badges - am I reading that right?

• JeppyJeppy Maple Valley WARegistered User regular
    edited September 2012
    Sorry but who is being the dick? You did not have those rules on you when I did my kill then you pull them out of your ass in mid air after leaving. I call bullshit on that. It was a valid kill and you know it. Your printed rules are bullshit invalid rules until I see them from the man himself I will not believe them. I did read the rules my kill was valid.

Jeppy on
    Hey ottergal! Glad to finally have a name to go with the pictures of you! Let me know if you want me to PM them to you! Yeah, Kristen was unable to find someone with your mission card, the only one we saw was mine, but I was already dead, lol. Still had fun though!

Jeppy wrote: »
    Sorry but who is being the dick. You did not have those rules on you when I did my kill then you pull them out of your ass in mid air after leaving. I call bullshit on that. It was a valid kill and you know it. Your printed rules are bullshit invalid rules until I see them from the man himself I will not believe them. I did read the rules my kill was valid.

Those rules were in my pack. My fiance and I were trying to comprehend the rules you told us, so we took them out and re-read them. After seeing you were mistaken we looked around and found you shortly after. If you click on this link, you'll see these were identical to the rules in my hand: http://phenixone.com/resources/games/AssassinsBall/AssassinsBall_Rules_PRIME_2012_Final.pdf

As for your mission card, take a look at this picture. At the top is my badge, to the bottom left is your Death Code with your mission card to the right. Take a good look at that mission card. That symbol does not match my symbol, nor does the faction. The only thing that matches is the color, but that's not what determines a target. The SYMBOL determines a legit target.

scaled.php?server=225&filename=photo10la.jpg&res=landing

• RichSoCashRichSoCash Portland, ORRegistered User regular
    I had so much fun playing, and actually had a friend I was with get a kit on Saturday when she saw how much fun it was. I ended up killing three people, but know for a fact I was spotted at least twice by others but I wasn't their target. I was in a tabletop freeplay room when I saw an assassin sitting at a table next to us. He wasn't my target, but I could've been his. I was paranoid the entire time playing, but luckily he didn't see me and I lived.

Also riry is the nicest, sweetest girl I've ever met, I felt so bad killing her after we talked for a few minutes

• redhaloredhalo Also a Professional Alcoholic Registered User regular
    Sorry Jeppy, Sharkey is correct and politely explaining this to you. If you still feel like you are being cheated, may I suggest taking it up with Mars via PM rather than getting the thread locked.

• CreamsteakCreamsteak Thrall Registered User regular
    I am so mega tired but Sharkey does have all the details. If anyone did anything shady its me as I'm not totally sure I was immune while at the buttoneering meet up after most people left, with two people camping for me to leave and opting to suicide to my friends rather than face an un sporting execution.

• kemikalkemikal Registered User regular
    After seeing how many assassin's went to the buttoneering meetup, I'm a little glad that I missed it! But I only ever saw 4 different players during the entire weekend. Luckily 3 of them were my targets at the time, but I was still hoping to run across more.

Assassin's Ball, Prime '13: @CowboyVerse
    TWDT '13: Hufflepuff OotP
  • acydlordacydlord Phoenix, AZRegistered User regular
    I really didn't see many assassins this weekend. I ended up forgetting my mission card at home on Friday so I didn't really have my eye out for assassins till Saturday. I think I lasted about 2 hours Saturday before a really excited girl appeared out of nowhere to kill me. I'm definitely in for next year, gonna try to get some friends in on it too.

paxsignature.png

• MidnyteMidnyte Registered User regular
    I only saw one other person that was part of the Ball, and that was while standing in line for the Assassin's Creed BBQ, and they weren't a valid kill for me. But admittedly I was only on the expo floor on Friday. I spent Saturday at the Pathfinder tables.

• MarsCheliosMarsChelios Registered User regular
    I apologize for the delay in responding to new posts, I've just now had some time to rest up and will start to work my way through them. Instead of piling them all together though I will respond individually unless there is some overlap. If you have any criticisms please form them constructively and try to provide suggestions on how to fix them. Thanks in advance!

For everyone posting about how much fun they had playing, thank you! I haven't looked at the numbers yet but from what I'm hearing this game can be considered a success. I'll post some stats after I get a chance to review everything more. :)

• kemikalkemikal Registered User regular
    Dear MarsChelios,

I tried several times to hunt you down in order to get my branded player badge and Cowboy Verse button, but alas, I kept just barely missing you. Is it at all possible to get these mailed to me if I offered to pay shipping?

With love,
    the moogle girl that actually didn't end up dead!

Assassin's Ball, Prime '13: @CowboyVerse
    TWDT '13: Hufflepuff OotP
  • SumiSumi Abbotsford, BCRegistered User regular
    YOU! YOU KILLED ME!!!

Heh, hope you had fun!!

Standard Action, it's a webseries.
    edited September 2012
    primalwulf wrote: »
    Okay, two assassinations down, registered my kit via the wordpress site. . .but it doesn't accept my Registered Kills. Help?
    (feeling much better now that I assasinated 2 out of the 40 available .. but only 40? no wonder this game is so damn difficult)

Send me the codes you're trying to enter and I'll check them out. Try to put them in order of kills so I can follow your kills from your starter mission.

This goes for anyone else who has issues entering kills.

The 40-something number you mentioned is just those who have registered their badge. Registering badges online is not required so don't go off that for the total player count. I'll post that number once I confirm the kits sold vs kits not picked up, but its likely higher than 110.

MarsChelios on
    edited September 2012
    ottergal wrote: »
    Totally fun time! Hey Mars.. first, thanks for all the hard work you did! Second.. (because I am a data geek) is there anyway to see who people reconned, etc, just for kicks? It would be interesting to see if people who lived were never seen or were seen all the time and not a good match (for example). Just curious! I will see you all next year!

Thank you! Making a visualization of which colors/symbols/factions were assassinated/had intel gathered is a great idea. I'll see if I can put together a data set for that.

MarsChelios on
  • FourT2FourT2 SeattleRegistered User regular
    Hey Jeppy, I wish I saw you on Sunday, you would be a 250 pt target for me

pg1lub26cgqx.png
  • LTAcostaLTAcosta Boston, MARegistered User regular
    I survived, and never found my target. I was rather busy though, being in the omegathon, speaking on a panel, and doing the prank. Was still fun though.

AN9buWz.png
  • jukkakhanjukkakhan Registered User regular
    edited September 2012
    So I only saw maybe 5 assassins the whole weekend, but I still had a blast trying! I spotted my perfect target in the Saturday Night Concerts but I had accidentally left my badge in my bag, which I left at my hotel :( So no kills for me this year, but you all won't be so lucky next year!

Thanks Mars for putting this on!

jukkakhan on
    PimDtoK.png
  • draco24draco24 Registered User regular
    Whoo, this was fun and interesting.

I had two kills on Friday (ran into what I believe was a PMS lady at the swag line in the morning then sneaked up on a couple which I took my pick from later that afternoon). Then I was cerimouniously taken out by a young lady on Saturday as I stood in a line.

Lines kill, apparently.

I also fubared and handed my killer a deathcard that was not mine, so I may have messed up the scoring. :/

• peterhuzzajpspeterhuzzajps Registered User regular
    Creamsteak wrote: »
    I am so mega tired but Sharkey does have all the details. If anyone did anything shady its me as I'm not totally sure I was immune while at the buttoneering meet up after most people left, with two people camping for me to leave and opting to suicide to my friends rather than face an un sporting execution.
    My wife and I both had a match for you, but after meeting you at The Cheese cake factory the previous day, we decided we wouldn't assassinate you, because well.. we liked ya heh. We also felt that camping the buttering was going to happen so we booked it out of there real fast. I hope you didn't feel that we where camping you, you were totally safe around us. (Robot NinJa (borg))

• CreamsteakCreamsteak Thrall Registered User regular
    Was nice meeting you guys. :P

Camping is legitimate in a play-to-win thing. So it doesn't necessarily bother me that camping happens. I just don't "play-to-win" assassins. I felt bad enough about killing Mars when I accidently happened into him at table-top early Friday.

Either way it's all good. Everyone is welcome to play how they want as long as it's within the rules. I play assassins only for the excuse to be paranoid and constantly glancing around seriously.

Mars, I appreciate you following up regarding kills that were not being allowed to enter via the wordpress site. However, by the time your message posted I'd already tossed it all in the garbage in frustration.

I have to admit: I've been bitten by the PAX bug, and will probably be an Enforcer next year. I don't know what that entails, but I think I'd rather volunteer my time than just wander aimlesssly and feel like I'm just repeating everything from the previous year. So, if that happens, then I'll be an Assassin again (and good luck trying to find me. . .;-).

• shadowscoutshadowscout Registered User regular
    hmm seems that even tho I never managed to pick up my kit (variety of reasons meaning I was never in the right place at the right time) I did actually see a few assassins around the place - ah well maybe next time ;)

• shadowscoutshadowscout Registered User regular
    holy cow - i just saw the refund notification - wasn't expecting that ! it was my fault I never picked the kit up
    but thanks @MarsChelios

guess I wont be sending that email asking if I can bank it as payment / part payment for next time when I get home now lol

holy cow - i just saw the refund notification - wasn't expecting that ! it was my fault I never picked the kit up
    but thanks @MarsChelios

guess I wont be sending that email asking if I can bank it as payment / part payment for next time when I get home now lol

No problem! I give out refunds to anyone who didn't receive their kit (If you didn't receive your kits and don't get a refund in the next day or two please alert me). One of the experiences I'd like to create going forward is a way get kits out to people at shows that doesn't require so much back and forth. I've got some ideas about partnering with other people for a space at PAX to getting players involved in distribution but let me know any suggestions you may have.

edited September 2012
    Just sent out emails to everyone I had marked as not receiving their kits. If you didn't get your kit, have not received a refund already and did not get an email from PM me and I'll issue a refund.

I want to acknowledge that I was not at the final button meetup as I indicated on here and elsewhere. To make up for that if you'd like a button you can send me a SASE and I'll send you a button (or two). PM me for the address. I will also have some buttons at East so hit me up there as well. :)

kemikal wrote: »
    Dear MarsChelios,

I tried several times to hunt you down in order to get my branded player badge and Cowboy Verse button, but alas, I kept just barely missing you. Is it at all possible to get these mailed to me if I offered to pay shipping?

With love,
    the moogle girl that actually didn't end up dead!
    Yes you may and congrats on surviving! :)

MarsChelios on
This discussion has been closed.