As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/

City of Heroes or Villains or Rogues

• NocrenNocren Lt Futz, Back in Action North CarolinaRegistered User regular
    Really? I thought there were more.

newSig.jpg
  • Eat it You Nasty Pig.Eat it You Nasty Pig. tell homeland security 'we are the bomb'Registered User regular
    I doubt he was literally the only person, but he was the only dev-with-a-signature-name-who-posted-on-the-forums that was left

NREqxl5.jpg
    it was the smallest on the list but
    Pluto was a planet and I'll never forget
  • LepLep Registered User regular
    Castle, Back Alley Brawler, and War Witch were there before the transition as well I think.

• PonyPony Registered User regular
    Lep wrote: »
    Castle, Back Alley Brawler, and War Witch were there before the transition as well I think.

and Castle and BAB haven't worked for Paragon for at least two years

• UreshiiAkumaUreshiiAkuma Registered User regular
    I'll just add mine to all the voices before saying this is quite unexpected, sad, and sucky. And it fills me with rage towards NCSoft and their corporate bullshit. Ah well, I'll be striking GW2 off my to-buy list.

I started playing CoH in the beta and played for a solid 5 or so years before real life got in the way. I was really happy to see it go F2P, and have been on and off since then. The fact that it seemed to be prospering in F2P was awesome. And then this, just so NCSoft can get some better numbers for a quarter :evil:

• LepLep Registered User regular
    Thought he was talking about who got carried over when CoX was sold to NcSoft.

• Gennenalyse RuebenGennenalyse Rueben The Prettiest Boy is Ridiculously Pretty Registered User regular
    edited April 2019
    I've got a ton of characters that I'm taking pictures of for posterity, which is monotonous as all hell. So I'll just post some select images of the ones I've done so far. Hopefully there aren't too many images in this, I'll pare it down if it's too much.

Platinum Gear, a Thugs/Traps MM
    I think I teamed with PAers with this guy more than anyone else.
    PlatinumGear1.png

The general concept was of a gang leader who got his hands on some serious hardware and became obsessed with figuring out how it worked.
    PlatinumGear4.png

And then...um...steampunk happened I guess?
    PlatinumGear9.png

Then Dark Brightness. A hero-side Necro/Pain MM.

So I really wanted to make a heroic Necro mastermind. But I didn't want to do the obvious antihero thing.
    DarkBrightness3.png

So I thought up this girl, who is bright, bubbly, and very much not evil. The idea being that she can talk to the dead, help solve their issues, etc.
    DarkBrightness4.png

As such, the dead tend to come to her aid when she's in peril.
    DarkBrightness7.png

Oh, and her dad's actually the evil necromancer that becomes the Lich she summons.
    DarkBrightness12.png

Behold the pastel horde!
    DarkBrightnessHorde.png

Gennenalyse Rueben on
  • A duck!A duck! Moderator, ClubPA mod
    Decided to snatch a few screenshots with UI elements in. These were taken in late 2007-early 2008. In retrospect, I was probably playing a lot at that time because I was working for a company that was falling apart.

A few shots from Private Attractions, the hooker/pimp (and thanks to Sponge, abortion doctor) super group. Juvenile and silly as hell, a lot of fun.
    rhSiG.jpg

How appropriate that my character from that (Madame Orgone) got MoLRSF by sleeping her way through the Freedom Phalanx. Twice.

• Raw ConcreteRaw Concrete Registered User regular
    I love the dialog in that shot. Especially since it includes classic 'Duck reminding people to stop being idiots'.

Oh, come and shake me 'till I'm dry
  • A duck!A duck! Moderator, ClubPA mod
    I was also thinking how appropriate that was.

• Gigazombie CybermageGigazombie Cybermage Registered User, __BANNED USERS regular
    Didn't they JUST roll out Nature Control on Live servers?

yes

and i24 was in beta and was basically almost done and was likely going to go live within the next three weeks

now that will never happen

most people will never know the glory that is the Martial Combat set for Blasters

or the Blaster revamp in general

• Operative21Operative21 Registered User regular
    I have alot of fond memories of this game. I'm going to be very sad to see it go. There's alot of history there and with this announcement I find myself reminiscing about all the great friendships and times I cultivated in-game. This is a sad day.

• Gigazombie CybermageGigazombie Cybermage Registered User, __BANNED USERS regular
    It just doesn't make sense. I mean, as far as I knew, CoH was profitable, not gangbusters, but doing well... Why the fuck would they get rid of something doing well in order to cover other losses? Because it was "western"?

• Operative21Operative21 Registered User regular
    Looking back it's funny but CoX really doesn't get alot of credit for being very different than alot of the MMO's it competed with at the time of its release. Besides some of the quality of life stuff they came up with (ie. sideckicking/mentoring), just the fact that it wasn't another fantasy MMO was fairly significant, and don't even get me started on how incredibly awesome that character creator is compared to others of its time.

• ArcasArcas Registered User regular
    Doesn't look like it's been mentioned but the last day of CoX is November 30, 2012. Time to run old Positron at +4/x8!

• TubeTube Registered User admin
    Any word on whether well be able to unlock content in that time? I don't even have inventions at the moment.

• Macro9Macro9 Registered User regular
    Pony wrote: »

yes

and i24 was in beta and was basically almost done and was likely going to go live within the next three weeks

most people will never know the glory that is the Martial Combat set for Blasters

I had no idea about this stuff.

My Fire/Dev would have been pretty nice to romp around on again. Snipes actually being useful in combat with targeting drone, blaze getting double the range, and cloaking device getting +regen and +recovery.

Maaannnn

58pwo4vxupcr.png
    Tube wrote: »
    Any word on whether well be able to unlock content in that time? I don't even have inventions at the moment.

Doesn't look like it. Do you have any points left over to get a 1 month invention license?

I have a thousand points saved, but I don't think the store is even open

• Fartacus_the_MightyFartacus_the_Mighty Brought to you by the letter A.Registered User regular
    It just doesn't make sense. I mean, as far as I knew, CoH was profitable, not gangbusters, but doing well... Why the fuck would they get rid of something doing well in order to cover other losses? Because it was "western"?

The going theory is that Aion is an expensive, steaming pile of feces. In order to look good to investors they need to get rid of CoH so that their expenses are technically lower. It is also surmised that, in addition to writing off the expense, NCSoft believes they can take the CoH money and put it into something with a higher profit margin.

The ingame paragon market still works. I just bought some random helmet to test it.

• HenroidHenroid Mexican kicked from Immigration Thread Centrism is Racism :3Registered User regular

yes

Tell me of this Blaster revamp, @Pony.

• EWomEWom Registered User regular
    The only character I ever worried about a story to go with the concept for, and ever only "roleplayed" was Atomic Jolt (rad/rad defender IIRC.. the defender that had buffs that made people run insane fast, jump stupid high, fight better etc) - the science created spokesman for Atomic Jolt energy drink. I had keybindings for my buffs and such that each buff was a different flavor of Atomic Jolt. I loved that char, and pissed off a lot of random group mates with my constant in character references to Atomic Jolt energy drink.

That was really the only character I put thought into, the rest were mostly "cause it's cool" for my concepts, like "Steampunk Viking" the BS/WP scrapper.
    Scrapper is, was, and most likely will be my favorite class/at of any MMO ever. So many times in groups going into "scrapper lock" and finding that I'd wandered away from my group, gone down a different hallway, just from chasing down runners and ending up in a different group of mobs. Great times.

Whether they find a life there or not, I think Jupiter should be called an enemy planet.
  • StericaSterica Yes Registered User, Moderator mod
    Radiation was super awesome. I'll fondly recall the rez skill that turned the target into a hulk for a short period.

YL9WnCY.png
    Henroid wrote: »

yes

Tell me of this Blaster revamp, @Pony.

so, the blaster revamp

basically every Secondary set was going to get one of their powers modified into a "Survival" power that boosted your regen or def or whatever

like Devices' Cloaking Device was gonna be changed to Field Operative. Same stealth and def component, but now also with +regen and +recovery

All the 40-foot short-range heavy blasts, like Blaze, were being changed to 80-foot like other blasts

Snipe powers were actually gonna be useful. If you had improved Accuracy (via Aim or a yellow inspiration or something) then Snipes would fire without their normal interrupt time. (This was a huge thing for /Devices blasters because with Targeting Drone you could basically have permanent insta-snipe)

Dual Pistols had all of its animation times trimmed down to increase its DPS

they added a new secondary for Blasters called Martial Combat that was a mixture of kicks, punches, shuriken throwing, and a wicked "Burst of Speed" power that was kinda like Shield Charge or Vorpal Judgment

I got to play with it on the Beta server and it was pretty rad! AR/Devices blasters got pretty beastly, in particular

none of that matters now. i24 will never come out.

• LepwaveLepwave Registered User regular
    I'm sad that I don't have very many screenshots of bios on this computer. I need to check my old computer to see if I have hidden gems still on there.

XBL/CoX tags - Lepwave/@Lepwave
    steam_sig.png
  • Jesus McChristJesus McChrist Registered User regular
    edited September 2012
    Good bye forever Santo Blanco, intergalactic cruiserweight champion of the universe. :(

Screenshot_2009-02-18-18-57-52.jpg

Jesus McChrist on
    if you can read this i hope you have a good day partner
  • AstaleAstale Registered User regular
    Was discussing this with the person who got me to play (years ago, neither of us were currently playing), and the topic of "how would people react if this happened in a fantasy mmo", since a lot of people are obviously very personal about their characters due to the customization.

It was an interesting discussion, though I think the only thing we agreed on is if for some bizarre reason it happened to WoW tomorrow people would start turning over cop cars and setting fire to them.

But it's an interesting thought. I mean, all these characters, and the ones in Champions (DCUO doesn't have a lot of customization so I can't speak to that), and even ones in some of the fantasy ones, people seem to be very attached to them. Not suprising. But at the same time, you know they will be lost forever when the mmo shuts down, and the vast majority of mmos don't get past, what, five years? Some people are more attached than they are to a pet, and would you get a dog or cat if they told you up front they were unlikely to live past five years (or less, if they've already aged)?

I don't think I'm trying to make a point here, just stuff this makes me think about.

• Eat it You Nasty Pig.Eat it You Nasty Pig. tell homeland security 'we are the bomb'Registered User regular
    what's weird about this isn't that CoX is shutting down really; if you'd told people five years ago that CoX would be shutting down right now, I feel like most of them would've been content with how long its run was.

what's weird was it seemed to be on the upswing. No one outside the company ultimately knows how profitable they were or were not, but it was starting to seem like they had really hit their stride in terms of developing new stuff and were succeeding with the f2p model.

NREqxl5.jpg
    it was the smallest on the list but
    Pluto was a planet and I'll never forget
  • NocrenNocren Lt Futz, Back in Action North CarolinaRegistered User regular
    It's not the fact that it's ending, but how. We always knew it would end, but that there would be a build up of sorts, the culmination of years of story telling and resolving the majority of loose ends.

But not like this.

I want to make an analogy here, but nothing seems to fit. Like drowning a bag of kittens because you're a dog person?
    Like if Marvel fired all their staff and torched all their inventory?

newSig.jpg
  • LepwaveLepwave Registered User regular
    In terms of content for f2p CoX, it was a pretty good amount of stuff you got.

XBL/CoX tags - Lepwave/@Lepwave
    steam_sig.png
  • Just_Bri_ThanksJust_Bri_Thanks Seething with rage from a handbasket.Registered User, ClubPA regular
    ...and when you are done with that; take a folding
    chair to Creation and then suplex the Void.
  • HarshLanguageHarshLanguage Registered User regular
    edited September 2012
    This is sad news, but it was nonetheless fun to team with some of you tonight. As it always was! Well, I'll have some fun over the next two months to relive the old memories and make some new ones. Actually I have one last character I might try to get to 50!

I think I have an unused Going Rogue serial code, I wonder if I used that now would I get VIP for just the month or all the way to the end?
    Are folks who are VIP now going to lose it after their current pay period expires if it's within the month? Hmm...

HarshLanguage on
    QSwearing_trans_smooth_small.gif
    > turn on light

Good start to the day. Pity it's going to be the worst one of your life. The light is now on.
  • BasilBasil Registered User regular
    Aw, shucks.

9KmX8eN.jpg
    edited September 2012
    I was looking for old screenshots in my old photobucket and imageshack accounts but I couldn't find any good ones but I did find this gem.

awesomebio.jpg

Arcas on
  • BionicPenguinBionicPenguin Registered User regular
    I spent far more time with CoX than any other MMO. In fact, it's the only one I played longer than a few months. I guess I'll have to reinstall to get one last look at it and screenshot some of my creations. Right now, the only one I have is Lord Punchington, the kick-punching robot.

punchington.png

As a sidenote, I'd pay money for a standalone version of the costume creator.

• override367override367 ALL minions Registered User regular
    I still can't wrap my head around this, presumably NCsoft could sell COX to one of the other companies that runs F2P mmos for something, just scrapping it seems asinine

They don't want a new source of competition

• Just_Bri_ThanksJust_Bri_Thanks Seething with rage from a handbasket.Registered User, ClubPA regular
    But they don't have a competing product, right?

...and when you are done with that; take a folding
    chair to Creation and then suplex the Void.