As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

[PRIME] PAX XP

alegriaalegria Registered User regular
edited September 2012 in PAX West
I'm having a lot of trouble finding codes this year! I understand there are 17 but I've only found a few. I'm more than happy to keep looking, but for example I wandered around the Red Lion area for like 20 minutes this morning and couldn't find one, so I don't want to go back if there definitely isn't one there. Anyone have some help? General areas are fine, I certainly don't want to get anyone in trouble for posting exact coordinates, or ruin the fun of the hunt - I just want to avoid spending time hunting blank spots!

My contribution is there's one near BYOC and there's one near the Info Booth.

Rw4xnu6.png
PAX Prime Attendee since 2006, BYOC Attendee 2008-2012, Buttoneer 2010-2014
https://www.pinnypals.com/pals/alegria
Moe Fwacky on

• Options
    AtomicGaryBuseyAtomicGaryBusey I put on my robe and wizard hat. Beautiful Lynnhood, Wash.Registered User regular
    Oh dude, I totally agree. It doesn't help that nearly every booth is using QR codes on their signage and materials this year. I've been looking all over and haven't managed to find one. I don't want to "spoil the fun" either, but if it's so hard that you can't find any of them it kind of spoils the fun in its own crummy way. If/when I manage to find any I'll post here with a ballpark location, but no specifics.

fss_overall.png
  • Options
    Scrivener.ErrorScrivener.Error TacomaRegistered User regular
    there's a code on the sign in the street at the end of queue for the main theater.

anyone else having issues with guidebook remembering you downloaded the guide and that you scanned the qr codes?

• Options
    AtomicGaryBuseyAtomicGaryBusey I put on my robe and wizard hat. Beautiful Lynnhood, Wash.Registered User regular
    So I hit up the info booth to gripe about the QR code situation... they told me they've had a few folks complete PAX XP but not a ton. To give more detail: the PAX XP QR code signs have a "PAX XP" logo in white on a black background just above the QR code. This should help you eliminate the cruft QR codes at all the booths.

As far as location, GENERICALLY there is one in the vicinity of the info booth, one in the expo hall on the front of a booth, and several at off-site locations such as hotels and the theaters. Hopefully this will get some folks going.
    there's a code on the sign in the street at the end of queue for the main theater.

anyone else having issues with guidebook remembering you downloaded the guide and that you scanned the qr codes?

The folks at the info booth spoke about that. They've had a LOT of complaints about the app not remembering scanned QRs. They recommend carrying paper and pen with you and manually writing the results down. They'll accept it if you bring it to them on paper.

fss_overall.png
  • Options
    Sleepy KittySleepy Kitty Registered User regular
    not sure which qr codes you are looking for but just about every theatre banner has a QR code on them if that helps anyone ... and don't forget that there are theatre's in both the Grand Hyatt and the Sheridan

• Options
    Didn't see a QR code at any of the theaters on the sixth floor, nor at the tabletop theater in Red Lion. There's one near Kraken and one near the Main Theater though.

Anyone know if you need to have the full phrase visible, or just enough that you've figured it out?

Rw4xnu6.png
  • Options
    DaisyDaisy Registered User regular
    PAX XP was one of the most fun things I did last year, but it's kind of less interesting with not having clues (Both to locations of codes and to the final phrase), and between that and the bug with Guidebook which lost my progress several times, not sure I want to go find them all again : \

• Options
    KwoodKwood Registered User new member
    edited September 2012
    Hey guys, I'm from Guidebook. There was an issue with codes getting forgotten on Android only. We think it's fixed now, but if you're using an Android device you might want to write them down as you scan them. If you lost some of your codes, tweet at me (@megakwood) or Guidebook (@guidebook) and we'll meet you somewhere on the show floor to help you restore your codes. #ourbad

Also if you see us on the show floor randomly say hey! We're wearing Guidebook shirts.

Kwood on
  • Options
    siradiasiradia Registered User regular
    I've found 11/19 and I'm running out of ideas. Nearly all of the ones I've found have been on the blue banners for the location. There is (at least) one in the Red Lion. I found at least one in each main location: main theatre, annex, Red Lion, Hyatt, Sheraton, and quite a few of course in the main building.

I *do*, however, have a pretty good guess at what the phrase is, but I'm not sure I'm confident enough to take it to the info booth. I may make another swing tomorrow before I just go for it. I am really glad they labelled them as PAX XP this year. Last year I scanned so many codes that weren't part of the game. I also like that there probably aren't mistakes in the clues/letters like last year.

• Options
    Ratchet_1060Ratchet_1060 Registered User new member
    Everything I've found so far (spoilers for general locations):
    Ground floor wscc. (1) When you first walk in and see Ryze, go to the right and down the small steps. The sign off to the side has the code.
    Level 2 (2). Close to elevator. Other one is in front/outside of one of the table top rooms.
    Level 3 (2). Raven theatre. Classic Arcade by S.M.A.C.
    Level 4 (1). Info desk
    Level 6 (1). PC gaming corner
    Annex level 1 (1). Entrance
    Annex level 3 (1). Bottom of escalators that go up to level 4.
    Red Lion level 3 (1). Theatre doors.
    Hyatt level 1 (1). Between Kickstarter and Kraken
    Paramount (1). outside close to Pike street.
    Sheraton level 3 (1). Right as you get to the 3rd floor via escalators.

So...anyone know of any I missed?

• Options
    Level 2 (2). Close to elevator. Other one is in front/outside of one of the table top rooms.

There are several sets of elevators. Is this one in handheld? I know there's one in handheld, I just don't remember which floor. I think it was near elevators though.

I see two areas you mention that I don't think I've found. (floor 1 at entrance and annex 3), so I think it's time for me to look yet again in those areas. I think everything else matches up to those I've found.

Someone mentioned at least one in expo hall? I haven't seen any in there, but with so many people and so much territory, I'm not sure I could. Any insight would be appreciated.

• Options

Oh, I just re-read this. There's another one in the Red Lion then. Hint: go inside a big room but not too far.

Now I need to head back to Red Lion too.

• Options
    cbelleviecbellevie Registered User regular
    Thanks for some of the pointers, really appreciated. We were very excited to do this, but when we really started having a hard time tracking some of them down, and then found that what we did find was not being recorded and then had to go back to scan again, my son was really frustrated.

• Options
    siradia wrote: »

Oh, I just re-read this. There's another one in the Red Lion then. Hint: go inside a big room but not too far.

They may be one in the same... That was the first one I got and I could be wrong/bad memory. It's worth a check though.

Can we guess the phrase on here? (am I allowed to ask this...)

• Options
    siradia wrote: »

They may be one in the same... That was the first one I got and I could be wrong/bad memory. It's worth a check though.

Can we guess the phrase on here? (am I allowed to ask this...)

I am at the Red Lion... I was told the one that was inside the Tabletop Tourney room was moved outside the doors so there seems only one at Red Lion.

• Options
    I didn't see an additional one at Red Lion from what I could see from creeping around before it opened.

I don't think we should post guesses here.

• Options
    Ok, next question: Did anyone confirm if there were some in the middle of all the exhibits? Its such a clustered, packed area I haven't been able to find any if so.

• Options
    There is one in the PAX program also.

• Options
    4th floor Runic...

• Options
    level 3 pc room/digipen

• Options
    You just need to take the completed phrase to Infodesk - so if you are close enough you can figure out the rest, no need to go find the other codes to scan. I got my XP keyring! :)

Rw4xnu6.png
  • Options
    DaisyDaisy Registered User regular
    Kwood wrote: »
    Hey guys, I'm from Guidebook.
    '

Just want to say I really appreciate you guys working to help people who lost codes!

• Options
    NeuralLinkNeuralLink Registered User regular
    Now that Prime is over, the phrase was
    "If an asteroid should strike the convention, we apologize profusely."
    IIRC.

• Options
    edited September 2012
    Yep. That was my guess as of yesterday, and it was only corroborated by the ones I found today. Got my keychain this afternoon!

I only managed to actually find:
    "If __ asteroid sh____ strike the con____ion __ apologize profusely".

I'm really curious where the others were... Oh, and thanks to everyone who provided tips!

siradia on
  • Options
    PikaPuffPikaPuff Registered User regular
    I wasn't really paying attention to it but my friend was all over this stuff. And one thing he said was that the PAX XP QR Stickers were changing locations during the con. Saturday he checked for a sticker he found on Friday and said it wasn't on that sign anymore.

jCyyTSo.png
  • Options
    inkedcatsinkedcats Registered User regular
    Kwood wrote: »
    Hey guys, I'm from Guidebook. There was an issue with codes getting forgotten on Android only. We think it's fixed now, but if you're using an Android device you might want to write them down as you scan them. If you lost some of your codes, tweet at me (@megakwood) or Guidebook (@guidebook) and we'll meet you somewhere on the show floor to help you restore your codes. #ourbad

Also if you see us on the show floor randomly say hey! We're wearing Guidebook shirts.
    Actually on Friday iPhones were having difficulty too. I resorted to taking pictures as a backup even though by Saturday things seemed to be sorted out. I got my keychain, and I have to say it really did the job of getting me all over PAX but at the same time it was a bit annoying for the locations of some (aka the Runic code).

I hope that everyone I gave general hints to while at the expo got a keychain! :)

• Options
    PikaPuff wrote: »
    I wasn't really paying attention to it but my friend was all over this stuff. And one thing he said was that the PAX XP QR Stickers were changing locations during the con. Saturday he checked for a sticker he found on Friday and said it wasn't on that sign anymore.

Well that's a little unfair. Moving QR stickers is just a tad mean in my opinion.

I love getting the PAX XP keychains, I've gotten them all three years they've been available. This year was an improvement over the amount of effort required (19 codes max, could get the answer with about 14 of them) over last year (what, 47 something codes? with errors?), so that was good. However, at the same time there were some odd location choices, and it was difficult to find codes at the locations where they were. It would take someone a couple of hours to walk around and nab all the codes, and to add multiple trips and searching for "hidden" codes just adds frustration and not enjoyment. Also codes should be largely be visible outside of regular hours, especially at the satellite locations. :)

Rw4xnu6.png
  • Options
    jag986jag986 Registered User regular
    I wish I had been able to find this thread before...Google failed me and I was too tired to think of going directly here or something, idk. Fortunately I finished enough of the phrase to know the rest by checking the back of my pass for location hints.

And there was no asteroid this year (woot!)

• Options
    cabbie98cabbie98 Registered User regular
    Does anyone have a picture of the keychain?

I got one at East and wanted to know if they are the same.

WiiU: cabbie98
    3DS FC: 4382-1976-1645
    Pin Pals Digital Lanyard
This discussion has been closed.