As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

[Dark Souls] If only I could be so grossly incandescent (as Durante) - Res fix in OP

• Options
    Raiden333Raiden333 Registered User regular
    I know that the only way to increase Pyromancy damage is to boost the glove, but is there any way to boost casting SPEED? I very rarely find myself in a situation where casting is a better choice than melee due to how goddamn slow it is.

There was a steam sig here. It's gone now.
  • Options
    BehemothBehemoth Compulsive Seashell Collector Registered User regular
    Raiden333 wrote: »
    I know that the only way to increase Pyromancy damage is to boost the glove, but is there any way to boost casting SPEED? I very rarely find myself in a situation where casting is a better choice than melee due to how goddamn slow it is.

Pump up your dexterity, I believe. Although that might just be an internet legend from when the game was first released.

iQbUbQsZXyt8I.png
  • Options
    AistanAistan Tiny Bat Registered User regular
    cr0w wrote: »
    Restarted my game today since I fucked up and killed Laurentius. Just made it past Quelaag, finally going to call it a night. I just have to say one thing, though. After all these months and dozens upon dozens of hours put into the game, Blighttown can still go fuck itself. Absolutely the worst part of the game.

Bed of Chaos says hello.

I don't think i've ever managed to beat it without dying three times. If it reset i'm pretty sure it would be impossible.

• Options
    stopgapstopgap Registered User regular
    I found some humanity, went human-esque, and headed for the Undead Parish Church.
    I fought the three guys, summoned someone, who went into the Church and murdered everything while I tried to keep up, then summoned Solaire. I knocked the tail off the one gargoyle, chucked some black fire bombs at it while Solaire distracted it, and then it knocked me off the roof.

I use my other humanity, and try again. I summoned two people this time. One of them was super creepy, and looked like Ronald McDonald in an apron. And then we were invaded by two guys, who climbed up the ladder and murdered us with magic and some machine gun crossbow pistol things.

I don't know if I should spend hours grinding for humanity and try again, or just try to solo those Gargoyles.

what you need to do is let someone summon you, if you jointly defeat the boss you get a ton of souls and one humanity works well.

steam_sig.png
  • Options
    KainyKainy Pimpin' and righteous Registered User regular

Huge amounts of Dex will get you faster casting speed... barely.

At max (I think 44?) it's a few frames. Ranged pyromancies (and spells) always take a bit to cast. If you're close enough to worry a lot about speed, use combustion.

IcyLiquid wrote: »
    There's anti-fuckery code in there now :) Sorry :)
  • Options
    MovitzMovitz Registered User regular
    I need to know what to sort of go for in terms of weapons. I'm level 30-ish and I just entered the depths as a pyromancer. So far I've mostly put points in endurance and vitality but think I should go for more damage or something now. How do I upgrade to a decent weapon after the drake sword?

• Options
    edited September 2012
    Just had my first invasion. I'm cruising through the Depths with 2 humanity and I find a bonfire, so I decide to turn human and kindle it before I die and lose my humanity. I advance through the depths without even dying ONCE to the frogs (my friend warned me that they have some way to instantly kill you, so I was really cautious) and then some guy invades me and starts attacking me. He's wearing really heavy armor, using a morning star and a heavy shield. I keep my distance and roll around, getting a feel for his speed, and then I find out that my endurance is pumped enough that I can tank one of his hits and then counter-attack him, so I made quick work of him. Even still, my heart was pounding. Then I walked into a huge room with a white-light door, got scared, and returned to the bonfire to cash in my souls and quit for the night.

GOD I LOVE THIS GAME.
    Behemoth wrote: »

Pump up your dexterity, I believe. Although that might just be an internet legend from when the game was first released.

huh. I'll keep that in mind if I can spare some stat points for it, thanks.

Raiden333 on
  • Options
    LanrutconLanrutcon The LabyrinthRegistered User regular
    When you lower the water level in the ruins...oh my god. I happily went down to walk around the newly opened areas and then noticed what I'd uncovered.

This game sets the mood incredibly well. The ruins now creep the fuck out of me.

Capture.jpg~original
    Currently playing: GW2 and TSW
  • Options
    edited September 2012
    Ok, so I'm done playing for the night FOR REALSIES, but can I get a tip on where I should go next?
    I've already rung the Parish bell, beaten the Capra demon, explored the Depths up to where (I presume) a boss is... Huge open room... Then I backed off, returned to the Parish, killed the demon that shoots lightning below where the Blacksmith is and unlocked the forest... Explored the forest a bit, got some nice armor from a place with a bunch of really tough knights, and then returned back to the Firelink Shrine... Decided to give that asshole in in the Undead Burg with the huge club another couple tries, kicked his ass, got an awesome ring and unlocked a different way into the forest with a bunch of crystal-monsters.

Which way should I be going? Should I go (try to) fight that boss in the Depths, or should I advance through the forest?

Raiden333 on
  • Options
    BehemothBehemoth Compulsive Seashell Collector Registered User regular
    Ok, so I'm done playing for the night FOR REALSIES, but can I get a tip on where I should go next?
    I've already rung the Parish bell, beaten the Capra demon, explored the Depths up to where (I presume) a boss is... Huge open room... Then I backed off, returned to the Parish, killed the demon that shoots lightning below where the Blacksmith is and unlocked the forest... Explored the forest a bit, got some nice armor from a place with a bunch of really tough knights, and then returned back to the Firelink Shrine... Decided to give that asshole in in the Undead Burg with the huge club another couple tries, kicked his ass, got an awesome ring and unlocked a different way into the forest with a bunch of crystal-monsters.

Which way should I be going? Should I go (try to) fight that boss in the Depths, or should I advance through the forest?

The Depths

Gotta head towards the second bell

iQbUbQsZXyt8I.png
  • Options
    DrascinDrascin Registered User regular
    Well, I started that second character, a sorcerer. Definitely noticing I'm a lot more confident this time around, less stammering into places and more strolling in and taking names. Haven't played past the Burg yet, though.

The homing on the Soul Arrows is butts, by the way. But they do decent damage. Made a point to get a second dose of them through Rickert before going into the Burg. Tried to kill the Zombie Dragon at the Valley of Drakes, but I don't have enough castings, seems. A pity, that.

Steam ID: Right here.
  • Options
    MovitzMovitz Registered User regular
    edited September 2012
    Can I stop people from invading me somehow? Everytime I go human form I get invaded and while it's nice addition it's also annoying as fuck. The invaders are always geared up for PvP and just murders me with weird curses, poison, estus blocks and crap. I just want to kill some demons by my lonsies, is that to much to ask? :(

Movitz on
  • Options
    Zoku GojiraZoku Gojira Monster IslandRegistered User regular
    Movitz wrote: »
    Can I stop people from invading me somehow? Everytime I go human form I get invaded and while it's nice addition it's also annoying as fuck. The invaders are always geared up for PvP and just murders me with weird curses, poison, estus blocks and crap. I just want to kill some demons by my lonsies, is that to much to ask? :(

On the 360 and PS3 at least, you can play in offline mode. Not sure if DRM on the PC prevents this, as I've only played the console versions.

"Because things are the way they are, things will not stay the way they are." - Bertolt Brecht
  • Options
    KiplingKipling Registered User regular
    Movitz wrote: »

On the 360 and PS3 at least, you can play in offline mode. Not sure if DRM on the PC prevents this, as I've only played the console versions.

Stay in the Way of White or the other sun-related covenants, which supposedly helps. But you can't stop it when you are online. If you are low level still, some of them are probably hacked accounts.

There aren't as many "screw you" methods to PVPers in Dark Souls. I miss the scraping spear to destroy durability, and the durability wrecking pyromancy isn't nearly as good.

3DS Friends: 1693-1781-7023
  • Options
    VicVic Registered User regular
    I am currently bashing my head against Anor Londo, and being rid of Blighttown and Sen's Fortress is a blessed relief. My problem right now is figuring out which gear to aim for and upgrade. I just found the Black Iron set and it looks like one of the best in them game to my untrained eye, but I have a hard time comparing equipment on the wiki, especially considering upgrades. Basically, 1: Does anyone know which is better, Fully upgraded Black Iron or Havel's, and 2: considering I am building strength, what would be my next clear upgrade over the Black Knight Sword?

• Options
    CantidoCantido Registered User regular
    edited September 2012
    Okay, I made it to the Taurus dude, I can take him! I think.

I'm aggravated with the same thing happening in this game that happened in Demon Souls. It provides branching pathways...that are all full of rape save for 1, with no way to learn, or write "hey, you need to be level X or you're gonna die here."

Cantido on
    3DS Friendcode 5413-1311-3767
  • Options
    KainyKainy Pimpin' and righteous Registered User regular
    There's a pretty easy way to learn - take the path and find out!

That's, like, the whole underlying point of not holding your hand. When you find the right way to go, or the right way to approach an enemy, you did it.

If that's not your style, though, there's plenty of info to steer you in the right direction on the wikis!

IcyLiquid wrote: »
    There's anti-fuckery code in there now :) Sorry :)
  • Options
    CorpekataCorpekata Registered User regular
    Most of the Rapeways tend to have big imposing dudes on the path that are pretty clear "You ain't ready for this yet" indicators.

• Options
    ShenShen Registered User regular
    The alternative routes aren't actually that bad though. Even discounting the awesome people doing SL1 runs, my first time playing I ended up doing Pinwheel after the Gargoyles (which is actually around when you're supposed to do him, as he only gives like 6k souls).

I then took a couple of steps into the Tomb of Giants, encountered the first enemy and went nope.jpg and hightailed it the fuck out of there. The problem with that was it was before you got a Homeward Bone from every boss, so I then had to climb all the way back up...

3DS: 2234-8122-8398 | Battle.net (EU): Ladi#2485
    ladi.png
  • Options
    Sigh. The fucking crystal caves. I swear to god, just when I think I'm doing decent damage they fucking up the hp of everything.

Capture.jpg~original
  • Options
    krylon666krylon666 Registered User regular
    Anyone know a wiki that has up to date elemental damage tables for weapons? None seem to be accurate at the moment for 1.05.

I'm trying to pick a weapon to go +3 lightning with (+4 if I can find another chunk). The claymore seems like a great choice, but I already have it at +5 fire and I don't know if I want to lose that. But overall, lightning will probably help me more right? (probably not in O&S fight though). I have a uchigatana I could use as well. The scythe looks promising. Any opinions on this would be appreciated.

• Options
    MrDelishMrDelish Registered User regular
    Just had my first invasion. I'm cruising through the Depths with 2 humanity and I find a bonfire, so I decide to turn human and kindle it before I die and lose my humanity. I advance through the depths without even dying ONCE to the frogs (my friend warned me that they have some way to instantly kill you, so I was really cautious) and then some guy invades me and starts attacking me. He's wearing really heavy armor, using a morning star and a heavy shield. I keep my distance and roll around, getting a feel for his speed, and then I find out that my endurance is pumped enough that I can tank one of his hits and then counter-attack him, so I made quick work of him. Even still, my heart was pounding. Then I walked into a huge room with a white-light door, got scared, and returned to the bonfire to cash in my souls and quit for the night.

GOD I LOVE THIS GAME.

Not to rain on your parade but if the guy's name was something Kirk then it was an NPC invader

• Options
    Yeah, but he still got that adrenaline rush - so mission accomplished :)

• Options
    PolaritiePolaritie Sleepy Registered User regular
    Zweihander+9 in Sen's Fortress? It's amusing using chain heavy attacks. Snakes get slammed into the ground, and then as they stand up the second one comes down and cleaves em in two.

Steam: Polaritie
    3DS: 0473-8507-2652
    Switch: SW-5185-4991-5118
    PSN: AbEntropy
  • Options
    Polar - any thoughts on a lightning weapon? I have 16/14 str/dex

Also - 4 Kings defeated. There's some luck involved for sure, sometimes they really like casting that homing blast that lasts forever (even when you're close). My advice to anyone doing this melee, is to stay as close as you can. Push against the king as you strafe left and attack. Heal up whenever you're near half. And of course, going in with 20 +3 Estus flask helps.

• Options
    ShenShen Registered User regular
    krylon666 wrote: »
    Polar - any thoughts on a lightning weapon? I have 16/14 str/dex

Also - 4 Kings defeated. There's some luck involved for sure, sometimes they really like casting that homing blast that lasts forever (even when you're close). My advice to anyone doing this melee, is to stay as close as you can. Push against the king as you strafe left and attack. Heal up whenever you're near half. And of course, going in with 20 +3 Estus flask helps.

Great Scythe was my fave weapon on my first playthrough and Halberd is pretty cool, they'd make good lightning weapons. To get a feel for their movesets you need to use them against actual enemies though, because whiffing an attack those weapons causes you to stagger.

3DS: 2234-8122-8398 | Battle.net (EU): Ladi#2485
    ladi.png
  • Options
    edited September 2012
    I love the halberd, it's my goto divine weapon. The great scythe looks amazing, but I wasn't sure about the move set. The main attack is just the downward chops right? I assume it has good reach though. How about the normal scythe?

edit: Here's an easy way passed the Anor Londo snipers if interested (I saw ppl talking about it earlier)
    Just go up the beam toward the ledge with the snipers as usual, then head toward the one on the right (we'll be ignoring the left one the whole time). As you approach try to roll to dodge the arrow, or take the hit, but dont bother blocking. The goal is to get close so he switches to melee. Once he does, just head back to the beam you came in on and head down it a little. It's almost guaranteed that he will fall off the ledge/beam. Then head back to the right and carefully go around the ledge and jump down. Did it on my second try this play through.

krylon666 on
  • Options
    edited September 2012
    krylon666 wrote: »
    I love the halberd, it's my goto divine weapon. The great scythe looks amazing, but I wasn't sure about the move set. The main attack is just the downward chops right? I assume it has good reach though. How about the normal scythe?

Probably - I'd imagine the great scythe has the same attack set as the Lifehunt. Quick downward chops for regular attacks, wide arcing sweeps for heavy, the 2h heavy takes two steps forward as you sweep, making it a great move to punish stuff that leaves a boss open if you pull back.

My pyromancer just used a lightning gargoyle halberd - if you have 16 strength there's a lot of good options for heavy hitting weapons.

Polaritie on
  • Options
    heenatoheenato Alice Leywind Registered User regular
    Ugh. Great. Dark souls has started to piss me off again. Not because of enemies. Or because of bosses. No. It's because the matchmaking/multiplayer system is terrible.

Oh sure. I can GET invaded. I'll get invaded the second I even THINK about going back To human form. But can I summon a phantom to help me? Fuck no. Summon failed EVERY TIME. Thanks game.

M A G I K A Z A M
  • Options
    heenato wrote: »
    Ugh. Great. Dark souls has started to piss me off again. Not because of enemies. Or because of bosses. No. It's because the matchmaking/multiplayer system is terrible.

Oh sure. I can GET invaded. I'll get invaded the second I even THINK about going back To human form. But can I summon a phantom to help me? Fuck no. Summon failed EVERY TIME. Thanks game.

Yeah, summoning help is really unstable, and it's annoying.

Especially for fights where NPCs are no help.

• Options
    I am scared of heights: the Crystal cave is making me poop myself.

Capture.jpg~original
  • Options
    DrezDrez Registered User regular
    It took me WAY less time to get Pharos' Bow this time around. When I was playing this for the first time on the PS3, I think I tried like 50+ times. This time, I got it after engaging Pharos the second time. Wowzers.

Of course, I'm not really a Dex-based character but whatever.

Switch: SW-7690-2320-9238Steam/PSN/Xbox: Drezdar
  • Options
    Professor SnugglesworthProfessor Snugglesworth Registered User regular
    Behemoth wrote: »

The Depths

Gotta head towards the second bell

Funny, that's exactly where I am.

So take out Gaping Demon then head to Blighttown, right?

• Options
    DrascinDrascin Registered User regular
    edited September 2012
    Man. The lower levels of New Londo Ruins are unnerving as shit. The dark swordsmen that can basically kill me in a single combo if I don't see the coming (to be fair, I can do the exact same to them if I do see them. The thing is that - I have to see them coming. It's rocket tag) don't help either. But the ambiance and whispering breezes and the moans in the soundtrack and the odd ways the lights seem to reflect and... all that stuff squelching under your character's feet... eeeesh. Not a fan of this place, no. That I'm utterly failing to find any shortcuts doesn't help.

On the plus side, I got a Very Large Ember!

Drascin on
    Steam ID: Right here.
  • Options
    Ok, somebody needs to tell people that the catacombs should be done early to get the extra kindle item. Just discovered the place, cakewalked it and the boss. I feel like such a dunce for leaving it this late.

Capture.jpg~original
  • Options
    edited September 2012
    Drascin wrote: »
    Man. The lower levels of New Londo Ruins are unnerving as shit. The dark swordsmen that can basically kill me in a single combo if I don't see the coming (to be fair, I can do the exact same to them if I do see them. The thing is that - I have to see them coming. It's rocket tag) don't help either. But the ambiance and whispering breezes and the moans in the soundtrack and the odd ways the lights seem to reflect and... all that stuff squelching under your character's feet... eeeesh. Not a fan of this place, no. That I'm utterly failing to find any shortcuts doesn't help.

On the plus side, I got a Very Large Ember!

The shortcuts down there are Valley of the Drakes, and dropping from various places down. I hear there's a spot right down from Firelink that's fairly good. I also know a good route to get to the boss fast that skips all the wraiths (but you run by a lot of ghosts)

Lanrutcon wrote: »
    Ok, somebody needs to tell people that the catacombs should be done early to get the extra kindle item. Just discovered the place, cakewalked it and the boss. I feel like such a dunce for leaving it this late.

I've gone in there, and can't figure out where to go. So dark, looks like a dead end with pits all around.

Polaritie on
  • Options
    themightypuckthemightypuck MontanaRegistered User regular
    How does this play with KB+M?

“Reject your sense of injury and the injury itself disappears.”
    ― Marcus Aurelius

Path of Exile: themightypuck
  • Options
    VicVic Registered User regular
    How does this play with KB+M?

Terribly. I am managing somehow, but the KBAM truly are awful and have led to no end of stupid deaths. The biggest problem is that target switching is incredibly finicky so if you are trying to use focus with enemies to multiple sides the camera bounces between them a few times a second. That is far from the only problem, I should note.

• Options
    DouglasDangerDouglasDanger PennsylvaniaRegistered User regular
    stopgap wrote: »
    I found some humanity, went human-esque, and headed for the Undead Parish Church.
    I fought the three guys, summoned someone, who went into the Church and murdered everything while I tried to keep up, then summoned Solaire. I knocked the tail off the one gargoyle, chucked some black fire bombs at it while Solaire distracted it, and then it knocked me off the roof.

I use my other humanity, and try again. I summoned two people this time. One of them was super creepy, and looked like Ronald McDonald in an apron. And then we were invaded by two guys, who climbed up the ladder and murdered us with magic and some machine gun crossbow pistol things.

I don't know if I should spend hours grinding for humanity and try again, or just try to solo those Gargoyles.

what you need to do is let someone summon you, if you jointly defeat the boss you get a ton of souls and one humanity works well.

i want to engage in jolly co-operation with solaire though

(and i don't know how to be summoned)

• Options
    edited September 2012
    stopgap wrote: »

i want to engage in jolly co-operation with solaire though

(and i don't know how to be summoned)

Just use the White Sign Soapstone somewhere. Just past the bridge leading to the blacksmith is a common location for Bell Gargoyles.

Currently my strength build seems to be turning into a greatsword build. I have a Zweihander+10 (Going to make +15 eventually), a Divine Claymore, a Lightning Flamberge, and a Greatsword I intend to make fire. Then I can just switch out for enemies and SMASH SMASH SMASH SMASH no matter what. I can also now farm Painted World, since I hit the 34 strength needed to use the Dragon King Greataxe for it's AoE nuke special.

Polaritie on
This discussion has been closed.