As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

New iOS game, Qwak HD + Retro Racing [free]

TubeTube Registered User admin
edited September 2012 in Indie Games
Mr Qwak wrote:
To celebrate the launch of our new iPad game, 'Qwak HD'; we're giving away our retro 2d top-down racer, aptly titled 'Retro Racing'.

Qwak HD
Page - http://www.mrqwak.com/games/qwak-hd/
Trailer -

AppStore - http://itunes.apple.com/us/app/qwak-hd/id543139719?mt=8

Retro Racing
Page - http://www.mrqwak.com/games/retroracing/
AppStore - http://itunes.apple.com/us/app/retroracing/id436151675?mt=8

Remember, Retro Racing is FREE for a limited time only.

Plus, some promo codes for Qwak HD (it's iPad only):

9YM9LLPYKRX4
XLMTE34AEE97
WLPLNAKYK9EA
7W4JEY6RRYEX
WYEENA34TRHX

Welcome any feedback or questions. Have fun!

- Mr Qwak

Here's some images of Retro Racing

screen1.jpgscreen2.jpgscreen3.jpg

Tube on

• Options
    Mr QwakMr Qwak Registered User regular
    edited September 2012
    I'm the developer and this space is reserved for my updates!..

Thanks Tube; yep, so they're both iOS games. As stated in the OP, Retro Racing is free at the moment, but will revert to paid soon, so please nab it quick! Also, may be an idea if you take one of the codes for Qwak HD (iPad only), to state which code you took.

Welcome feedback or any questions. Enjoy! :)

Mr Qwak on
  • Options
    Erin The RedErin The Red The Name's Erin! Woman, Podcaster, Dungeon Master, IT nerd, Parent, Trans. AMA Baton Rouge, LARegistered User regular
    Retro Racing looks reminiscent of Super RC Pro Am from the GameBoy days. Now I want to play it. Damn!
    Also, I don't have an iPad, but your game looks fun. I hope it sells well. Good luck!

• Options
    Squirminator2kSquirminator2k they/them North Hollywood, CARegistered User regular
    I beta-tested Qwak for iPad and was a huge fan of the original Amiga version. Fun game.

Jump Leads - a scifi-comedy audiodrama podcast
  • Options
    Thanks chaps. :)

Yep, the game (Qwak) is actually 25 years old now. I started working on the first version of the game in 1988 (on the BBC Micro), it's since appeared on a number of formats, including (as Squirminator2k points out) the Amiga (published by Team17).

Sales wise, it's not been too encouraging so far. Certainly nowhere near as popular as Retro Racing was.

• Options
    PrimePrime UKRegistered User regular
    edited September 2012
    Looks like bubble bobble on speed?

edit: not that thats a bad thing.

Prime on
  • Options
    citizen059citizen059 hello my name is citizen I'm from the InternetRegistered User regular
    Retro Racing is great - the best part is that the controls are responsive and work exactly as they should.

A lot of iOS games, especially racers, get this wrong.

• Options
    Prime wrote: »
    Looks like bubble bobble on speed?

edit: not that thats a bad thing.

Yeah! You're not the first to say so! :)

• Options
    citizen059 wrote: »
    Retro Racing is great - the best part is that the controls are responsive and work exactly as they should.

Thanks. Did you think it worked okay in Portrait orientation too?

• Options
    citizen059citizen059 hello my name is citizen I'm from the InternetRegistered User regular
    Mr Qwak wrote: »
    citizen059 wrote: »

Thanks. Did you think it worked okay in Portrait orientation too?

Portrait orientation is the only mode I've used, actually.

Was there a specific game you drew inspiration from on this one, or was it more a mix of games?

• Options
    Yeah! It was probably mostly inspired by Nitro (developed by me too), and in turn, classic 2d arcade racing games of yesteryear, such as Sega HotRod, and Atari SuperSprint.

• Options
    I played a ton of Super Sprint growing up. Between that and Ironman Stewart's Off-Road...many quarters were spent invested.

RR actually reminds me a lot of F1 Dream, which I liked as well.

• Options
    DírhaelDírhael NorwayRegistered User regular
    I seem to remember Qwak from way back when, but I can't remember if I ever played it or not. Time to do something about that though, as I redeemed the code #WYEENA34TRHX.

• Options
    Qwak first appeared on the BBC in 1989 (started development in 88, so I guess that makes it 25 years old)..

Anyhow, please remember to say if you took a code! Are there really 4 left?..

• Options
    I used the one starting in 7W4. Haven't had time to really sit down for a long session but on the surface it looks like everything I enjoy about classic games. Never played the original.

• Options
    gotofailgotofail Registered User new member
    Ahh offer expired, was trying the HD iPad game. I just found this post...