As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/

[Dark Souls] If only I could be so grossly incandescent (as Durante) - Res fix in OP

• Professor SnugglesworthProfessor Snugglesworth Registered User regular
    Blegh, I'm not equipped to handle Gaping Demon. He one shots me with every single move he makes. Solaire has been little help either.

Think I'll just head back to the forest and grind my stats.

• PolaritiePolaritie Sleepy Registered User regular
    Blegh, I'm not equipped to handle Gaping Demon. He one shots me with every single move he makes. Solaire has been little help either.

Gaping Dragon? I'd avoid summoning NPCs for that fight - they're really bad about just eating all his hits and then you're left alone with a boss that has more HP left than it would start with if you'd gone in solo.

The usual strategy is to just keep at a distance and wait for it to roar (and flex its giant toothy maw), back off as it brings its body down, watch for the second roar and get out of the way of the charge, and then pound on it while it's recovering. Just keep your distance and wait for the one attack, it's so much safer that way.

On a different note, it's amusing to stagger bosses because I'm two-handing massive weapons. Stunlocking Ornstein was awesome, and then super-Smough flinched from every other hit.

Steam: Polaritie
    3DS: 0473-8507-2652
    Switch: SW-5185-4991-5118
    PSN: AbEntropy
  • heenatoheenato Alice Leywind Registered User regular

The second it lowers it's head, IMMEDIATELY start making a wide circle behind it. It cannot turn once it's head is lowered. It has to go straight forward.

M A G I K A Z A M
    edited September 2012
    heenato wrote: »

The second it lowers it's head, IMMEDIATELY start making a wide circle behind it. It cannot turn once it's head is lowered. It has to go straight forward.

It's the jumps that get me.
    Gaping Dragon? I'd avoid summoning NPCs for that fight - they're really bad about just eating all his hits and then you're left alone with a boss that has more HP left than it would start with if you'd gone in solo.

Wait, their HP increases if you bring in help?

Professor Snugglesworth on
  • heenatoheenato Alice Leywind Registered User regular
    It's the jumps that get me.
    Really? The jumps are easily telegraphed, and beaten by rolling backwards a couple times.

M A G I K A Z A M
    I misjudge the distance, basically, thinking I'm far enough but getting a toe's worth of his body.

Think I'll go summon-less and just circle around him, like I did before.

• mere_immortalmere_immortal So tasty!Registered User regular
    After cutting off the tail I tend to just try and stay as close to one of the back legs as possible, usually never get hit.

Steam: mere_immortal - PSN: mere_immortal - XBL: lego pencil - Wii U: mimmortal - 3DS: 1521-7234-1642 - Bordgamegeek: mere_immortal
  • krylon666krylon666 Registered User regular
    Polar - how are you taking strength up to in your str build? I'm trying to decide what weapon I want to base my next build on (str or int). That moonlight gs is very tempting for a sorc build, but I'm not sure how I feel about focusing on magic. Boss fights seem too in your face for sorcery, but I never focused on it so I don't know.

edited September 2012
    krylon666 wrote: »
    Polar - how are you taking strength up to in your str build? I'm trying to decide what weapon I want to base my next build on (str or int). That moonlight gs is very tempting for a sorc build, but I'm not sure how I feel about focusing on magic. Boss fights seem too in your face for sorcery, but I never focused on it so I don't know.

Meh, if you can find an opening for a greatsword, it's enough of an opening for soul arrows/homing soulmass. And you have the advantage of range on a lot of fights too.

My strength build I'm probably going to leave strength at 34 for now, it's enough to 2h anything but Smough's Hammer, while I build up my endurance more.

How far into the catacombs is the darkmoon ring? I'm thinking about trying a fist-based cleric, since the damage bonus of buff spells doesn't care how big your weapon is. Basically, Dragon Bone Fist and Darkmoon Blade.

Polaritie on
  • DouglasDangerDouglasDanger PennsylvaniaRegistered User regular
    Polaritie wrote: »
    stopgap wrote: »
    I found some humanity, went human-esque, and headed for the Undead Parish Church.
    I fought the three guys, summoned someone, who went into the Church and murdered everything while I tried to keep up, then summoned Solaire. I knocked the tail off the one gargoyle, chucked some black fire bombs at it while Solaire distracted it, and then it knocked me off the roof.

I use my other humanity, and try again. I summoned two people this time. One of them was super creepy, and looked like Ronald McDonald in an apron. And then we were invaded by two guys, who climbed up the ladder and murdered us with magic and some machine gun crossbow pistol things.

I don't know if I should spend hours grinding for humanity and try again, or just try to solo those Gargoyles.

what you need to do is let someone summon you, if you jointly defeat the boss you get a ton of souls and one humanity works well.

i want to engage in jolly co-operation with solaire though

(and i don't know how to be summoned)

Just use the White Sign Soapstone somewhere. Just past the bridge leading to the blacksmith is a common location for Bell Gargoyles.

Oh, OK. I will try that some time soon.

I beat the Gargoyles and run that bell. I summoned another player outside the church, who promptly ran for the roof, and we picked up Solaire. We killed the Gargoyles really fast. Then I went back through Undead Burg to Firelink, so the elevator is at the top. I think my plan is to back through Undead Burg, get some souls, and level up on my way back to Andrei.

edited September 2012
    stopgap wrote: »
    I found some humanity, went human-esque, and headed for the Undead Parish Church.
    I fought the three guys, summoned someone, who went into the Church and murdered everything while I tried to keep up, then summoned Solaire. I knocked the tail off the one gargoyle, chucked some black fire bombs at it while Solaire distracted it, and then it knocked me off the roof.

I use my other humanity, and try again. I summoned two people this time. One of them was super creepy, and looked like Ronald McDonald in an apron. And then we were invaded by two guys, who climbed up the ladder and murdered us with magic and some machine gun crossbow pistol things.

I don't know if I should spend hours grinding for humanity and try again, or just try to solo those Gargoyles.

what you need to do is let someone summon you, if you jointly defeat the boss you get a ton of souls and one humanity works well.

i want to engage in jolly co-operation with solaire though

(and i don't know how to be summoned)

Just use the White Sign Soapstone somewhere. Just past the bridge leading to the blacksmith is a common location for Bell Gargoyles.

Oh, OK. I will try that some time soon.

I beat the Gargoyles and run that bell. I summoned another player outside the church, who promptly ran for the roof, and we picked up Solaire. We killed the Gargoyles really fast. Then I went back through Undead Burg to Firelink, so the elevator is at the top. I think my plan is to back through Undead Burg, get some souls, and level up on my way back to Andrei.

There's two elevators. Once you use it the first time, there will always be one on each side. There isn't a single elevator you can have stuck in the wrong position - there's always either a call lever or it's a double lift like Firelink <-> Parish.

Polaritie on
    Polar - the ring is somewhat far into the catacombs. I'm pretty sure you need to break a secret wall and deal with a giant skeleton. Probably worth checking the wiki. There are some great shortcutsfor the catacombs, but that particular area requires slogging through some enemies.

• jahsoldierjahsoldier Registered User regular
    I'm playing this on Windows with an Xbox pad, and I have an annoying problem... basically my characters keep switching from a jog to a walk for no reason, which makes running around a pain (and boss fights even moreso because it's hard to sustain a run) Thought it might be a problem with the left stick, but it's a brand new pad (I got it just for Dark Souls) and it seems to be fine on other games (tested with Skyrim). Anyone else having this problem and know what I can do? It's really starting to grind the old gears.

edited September 2012
    Polar - the ring is somewhat far into the catacombs. I'm pretty sure you need to break a secret wall and deal with a giant skeleton. Probably worth checking the wiki. There are some great shortcutsfor the catacombs, but that particular area requires slogging through some enemies.

Hmm. Guess I'll just see for myself. One advantage to having other chars already.

Edit: Yuck. I am never, ever going in there without a divine weapon again. If I hadn't gone with my pyromancer (Yay being able to pump vit and end so much), I'd have died to the respawning shit.

Please tell me necromancers stay dead forever.

Polaritie on
    oh, I meant to ask before - how does farming souls in the painted world compare to "the spot" in the woods? assuming I have good pyromancy

• SorensonSorenson Registered User regular
    Fuck Lost Izalith with a rusty screwdriver, the Blighttown descent ain't got shit on this pain in the ass. Can't see a fucking thing with all the lava, and then you've got those giant fuckers to deal with in addition to the lava nipping at your heels.

• DouglasDangerDouglasDanger PennsylvaniaRegistered User regular
    edited September 2012
    There's two elevators. Once you use it the first time, there will always be one on each side. There isn't a single elevator you can have stuck in the wrong position - there's always either a call lever or it's a double lift like Firelink <-> Parish.

Oh, that's good to know.

I went through Undead Burg, used the basement key, and found Griggs. I also fought off three weird skinless dog-things, and then trekked back to the fire near the ladder to dragon. I attempted to just make it across the bridge to the little shortcut, but I somehow drew the dragon and almost died with 4900 souls... so I backtracked.

Is there a fire in the basement key area? Is this a distinct area?

DouglasDanger on
    edited September 2012
    oh, I meant to ask before - how does farming souls in the painted world compare to "the spot" in the woods? assuming I have good pyromancy

In about 30 seconds I net 7000-8000 souls without any boosts (silver serpent ring, mimic hat). Run through gate, cutting down skeleton as I pass, around blocks, drop Fire Tempest, and then just run out - it slows me down to pick off the one or two stragglers. Tag bonfire and repeat as needed. If you have a strong area spell (they have shields, but fire erupting from the ground kind of goes around them), it's amazing. I probably couldn't farm nearly as fast in the woods, because the enemies are all scattered widely about.

The only builds I don't know a good way to do it on are dex and sorcery. Dex doesn't have the Dragon King Greataxe's area blast special, and sorcery tends to be very, very linear - I don't think there's an area explosion spell.
    Sorenson wrote: »
    Fuck Lost Izalith with a rusty screwdriver, the Blighttown descent ain't got shit on this pain in the ass. Can't see a fucking thing with all the lava, and then you've got those giant fuckers to deal with in addition to the lava nipping at your heels.

Chaos Servants can skip Demon Firesage, Centipede Demon, and the entire lava area of Lost Izalith - the shortcut you unlock for rank 2 takes you right to the inner city, quite close to the Bed of Chaos in fact (can easily dash around the stone demons and then there's just the hollowed Daughter of Chaos in the way). I know what you mean about the lava though. It's a pain, the centipede demon is a pain, etc. Yay pyromancers!

Polaritie on
  • AistanAistan Tiny Bat Registered User regular
    30 humanity for never having to deal with the lava part of Lost Izalith is worth it every single time.

• ruzkinruzkin Registered User regular

I just beat Lost Izalith for the first time and found it pretty simple - just ignore the bounding demons. Sprint for the first little temple area and hide inside until the way is clear. Aim for the 2nd temple and sprint across, ignoring all bounding demons. Activate the hidden bonfire inside. From there, it's a 10 second sprint to the ramp out of the lava.

g4OlSIF.jpg
    edited September 2012
    ruzkin wrote: »

I just beat Lost Izalith for the first time and found it pretty simple - just ignore the bounding demons. Sprint for the first little temple area and hide inside until the way is clear. Aim for the 2nd temple and sprint across, ignoring all bounding demons. Activate the hidden bonfire inside. From there, it's a 10 second sprint to the ramp out of the lava.

Wait, there are people who try to fight those damned things? The aggro radius isn't that huge...

On a different note - I don't get why they made Beatrice's Catalyst so bad (And by bad, I mean it's exactly the same as the basic one), considering you have to kill the Four Kings to get it.

Polaritie on
  • cj iwakuracj iwakura The Rhythm Regent Bears The Name FreedomRegistered User regular
    Also, the bounding demons don't respawn.

Gaping Dragon is probably the easiest hard-looking boss. Just stay far away from it and only go in when you're sure it's done wailing at you. Lots of fun with two skilled helpers.

wVEsyIc.png
    edited September 2012
    cj iwakura wrote: »

Gaping Dragon is probably the easiest hard-looking boss. Just stay far away from it and only go in when you're sure it's done wailing at you. Lots of fun with two skilled helpers.

Also the easiest tail to cut in the game, with the exception of the drake, of course. (And a particular trick with Priscilla)

Polaritie on
  • Raiden333Raiden333 Registered User regular
    edited September 2012
    Ugh. (pre-second bell ringing)
    I'm camped out at the bonfire right before Quelaag's Domain, and I'm completely out of purple moss. I have 3 humanity on my corpse, but every attempt is a slow painful slog due to poison. I can't just grab my corpse and homeward-bone out of the boss fight, I tried. I think I have to nip out the back door, run all the way to the merchant in the sewer tunnel, buy a bunch of moss, and run all the way back.

THAT'S DARK SOULS.

Raiden333 on
    There was a steam sig here. It's gone now.
  • CorpekataCorpekata Registered User regular
    Poison isnt that bad. Just wear the swamp gear you should find there, and wait for the poison to run it's course, it'll barely do any damage, a flask or two at most needed.

• ruzkinruzkin Registered User regular
    Poison ain't no thang, I just wait for it to run down. Toxic, on the other hand...

g4OlSIF.jpg
  • bigwillchbigwillch Registered User regular
    Convinced my pal to get this on Steam (found him a tidy £14 deal so he couldn't refuse). He phoned me up last night very confused asking me to explain how the hell this game works. I went over the basics of humanity / invasion / respawning etc. He currently seems to be in the camp of indignant rage at how a game can treat you so 'unfairly', but I'm hoping he'll stick at it. I've noticed a few new players in this thread who started out finding the game totally frustrating but who have grown to really enjoy it, so we'll see.

fss.png
    xbox GT: Big Will C H
  • BehemothBehemoth Compulsive Seashell Collector Registered User regular
    I was farming leeches earlier (they can drop stacks of 5 green titanite!) and I was getting more health back from the evil eye ring than I was taking from poison

If worst comes to worst, just estus through it

But yeah if you're toxic'd without moss, you're already dead. Just jump off a cliff so you know where your bloodstain will be.

iQbUbQsZXyt8I.png
  • Solomaxwell6Solomaxwell6 Registered User regular
    edited September 2012
    Blegh, Smaugh and Ornstein.
    I've managed to kill Smaugh a few times. Uber-Ornstein just destroys me, though. I don't have any spells besides a couple of Pyromancy that won't be helpful here, I'm a melee character. I've decided to start using the Drake's Sword as my secondary weapon, so hopefully I can switch over to that from my Lightning Spear after Smaugh dies and deal more than 44 damage at a time. Still, this is NOT the time to be a melee char. I'm thinking of going human and getting some friends to help, but... I only have one twin humanity left, and that's it. So I really need to make it count when/if I do try.

Solomaxwell6 on
  • Raiden333Raiden333 Registered User regular
    edited September 2012
    Ok so, I just rang the 2nd bell.
    Firekeeper shrine is fucked apparently, and a new area off Undead Parish is open. It seems like the game is telling me to forget New Londo Ruins, Darkroot Basin, and Valley of Drakes exist for now. Is this the case? Should I check out that new area, or explore the areas I still have open first? I'm still using the Drake Sword from the dragon's tail and it's starting to feel weak, I'd really like to find a new weapon. I would explore and experiment but I'm carrying 3 humanity on me now.

Raiden333 on
    There was a steam sig here. It's gone now.
    Raiden333 wrote: »
    Ok so, I just rang the 2nd bell.
    Firekeeper shrine is fucked apparently, and a new area off Undead Parish is open. It seems like the game is telling me to forget New Londo Ruins, Darkroot Basin, and Valley of Drakes exist for now. Is this the case? Should I check out that new area, or explore the areas I still have open first? I'm still using the Drake Sword from the dragon's tail and it's starting to feel weak, I'd really like to find a new weapon. I would explore and experiment but I'm carrying 3 humanity on me now.
    Feel free to explore, but the area you have to go next to continue the plot is the new area, Sen's Fortress.

And there is a really good weapon hidden somewhere in there, if you can find it.

iQbUbQsZXyt8I.png
  • JintorJintor Registered User regular
    How do you cut off tails? Do you just need to whale damage on it? It's gonna take more than one swing I'd guess? I just chipped the Gaping Dragon to death :/

• The_SpaniardThe_Spaniard It's never lupines Irvine, CaliforniaRegistered User regular
    edited September 2012
    So what's so fancy about the gargoyle helm, it doesn't have the stats that my elite knight helmet has, but people rave about it online? Also when I get invaded do I want to use my halberd or zweihander?

I also just got the gargoyle halberd in Anor Londo, I'm thinking of making it lightning, would that be a decent well rounded path to take it for PvE and the occasional PvP invader? If I do that I'd probably make my zweihander fire.

The_Spaniard on
    Playstation/Origin/GoG: Span_Wolf Xbox/uPlay/Bnet: SpanWolf Nintendo: Span_Wolf SW-7097-4917-9392 Steam: http://steamcommunity.com/id/Span_Wolf/
  • Alistair HuttonAlistair Hutton Dr EdinburghRegistered User regular
    Zweihander+9 in Sen's Fortress? It's amusing using chain heavy attacks. Snakes get slammed into the ground, and then as they stand up the second one comes down and cleaves em in two.

The only thing better than a Zweihander is a Fire ZweiHander.

BOOOOOOOOOOOM.

I have a thoughtful and infrequently updated blog about games http://whatithinkaboutwhenithinkaboutgames.wordpress.com/

I made a game, it has penguins in it. It's pay what you like on Gumroad.

Currently Ebaying Nothing at all but I might do in the future.
    Jintor wrote: »
    How do you cut off tails? Do you just need to whale damage on it? It's gonna take more than one swing I'd guess? I just chipped the Gaping Dragon to death :/

Yeah, just gotta hit the tail a lot. There's nothing for a caster from tails, though, except Seath's. And his is really hard to get.

I've been enjoying my sorcerer a lot. Soul spear is ridiculous
    CEF303C0E3005ADC8258B1AACFDE33E587783005

iQbUbQsZXyt8I.png
  • PharezonPharezon Struggle is an illusion. Victory is in the Qun.Registered User regular
    edited September 2012
    Blegh, Smaugh and Ornstein.
    I've managed to kill Smaugh a few times. Uber-Ornstein just destroys me, though. I don't have any spells besides a couple of Pyromancy that won't be helpful here, I'm a melee character. I've decided to start using the Drake's Sword as my secondary weapon, so hopefully I can switch over to that from my Lightning Spear after Smaugh dies and deal more than 44 damage at a time. Still, this is NOT the time to be a melee char. I'm thinking of going human and getting some friends to help, but... I only have one twin humanity left, and that's it. So I really need to make it count when/if I do try.
    Drake sword is terrible for that fight. Use Quelaag's Furysword or some other weapon.

Pharezon on
    jkZziGc.png
  • KlykaKlyka DO you have any SPARE BATTERIES?Registered User regular
    I just used the demon spear and poked them through the pillars *shrug*

SC2 EU ID Klyka.110
    lTDyp.jpg
  • DrascinDrascin Registered User regular
    edited September 2012
    ...I'm trapped, seems.
    At New Londo, I found mist gate. It came into a spiral tower that went all the way down - but which seems to have no exit and I can't go back through the mist.

What do?

EDIT: A little googling tells me I have to equip the Abysswalker ring and drop - I'd kind of guessed the ring might be it, but I didn't think to just drop, I figured it'd be more of a matter of appearing stairs and then when they didn't I unequipped it.

The same google, though, tells me that if I do go down and face the boss there, then I'll give the Lordvessel thingie to someone else instead of Frampt. Hm. Not sure what to do. On that note, even if I give the Lordvessel to someone, I can still warp, right?

Drascin on
    Steam ID: Right here.
  • LanrutconLanrutcon The LabyrinthRegistered User regular
    cj iwakura wrote: »

Actually, I'd give that honor to Scaleless whathisface. You circle him, run right into his model from the side, start swinging. Every attack misses you 90% of the time, and when something does tag you it's usually minor damage from the crystal field...which you just avoid by hugging him again.

Capture.jpg~original
    Currently playing: GW2 and TSW
    Drascin wrote: »
    ...I'm trapped, seems.
    At New Londo, I found mist gate. It came into a spiral tower that went all the way down - but which seems to have no exit and I can't go back through the mist.

What do?
    You found the boss arena! Congratulations!

Unfortunately, to actually fight the boss, down in the Abyss, you need to get a ring from the giant wolf boss in Darkroot Garden. So... either use a homeward bone or jump to your death.

iQbUbQsZXyt8I.png
This discussion has been closed.