As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

Werewolves and Villagers!

TubeTube Registered User admin
edited September 2012 in Indie Games
I am pleased to announce the release of my latest Android application: Werewolves and Villagers! This is an adaptation of the wildly popular Werewolves game that can be played by any number of people with Android phones or tablets. For more information visit the Google Play page at:

https://play.google.com/store/apps/details?id=com.appropel.werewolves

I am giving the game away free to the first 20 PAX attendees that download a copy. Just send me an e-mail letting me know that you've purchased the game and that you are attending PAX, and I will refund your purchase. I am anxious to hear about your gaming experiences!

Tube on

• Options
    aworldnervelinkaworldnervelink Registered User regular
    edited October 2012
    Version 1.11 is out and features the Seer role. Here are some screenshots from the latest release:

device-2012-10-10-202553.pngdevice-2012-10-10-203811.pngdevice-2012-10-10-203904.pngdevice-2012-10-10-204258.pngdevice-2012-10-10-204402.png

aworldnervelink on
    Android developer of Werewolves and Villagers.
  • Options
    DusdaDusda is ashamed of this post SLC, UTRegistered User regular
    Oh man, I love Werewolf / Mafia! I used to run games through Twitter with friends and family. I wish this were on iOS or Windows Phone.

and this sig. and this twitch stream.
  • Options
    kimekime Queen of Blades Registered User regular
    Dusda wrote: »
    Oh man, I love Werewolf / Mafia! I used to run games through Twitter with friends and family. I wish this were on iOS or Windows Phone.

Yeah, are there plans to port this to iOS at any time, @aworldnervelink ?

Battle.net ID: kime#1822
    3DS Friend Code: 3110-5393-4113
    Steam profile
  • Options
    DusdaDusda is ashamed of this post SLC, UTRegistered User regular
    @aworldnervelink you might have noticed there's a Werewolf/Mafia community in the Critical Failures subforum. kime dies all the time :D.

and this sig. and this twitch stream.
  • Options
    This is true :P.

So, the Google Play sent me over to your manual, which is this, I believe? Am I correct, then, in assuming that there are no other roles currently besides plain villager and mafia/werewolf? The manual mentions that you are adding more stuff, I'm curious what your expected timeline is on that or how many roles you eventually expect to have...?

I don't have an Android so won't be getting this soon, but if you have any plans to port it to iOS I'd definitely be interesting, thus my questions :D

Steam profile
  • Options
    My graphic artist tells me that someone has already done Werewolves for iOS, so I don't have a whole lot of interest in a port (I don't do iPhone myself anyway). I'm very customer-driven so if sales are good there will certainly be upgrades and enhancements. :) If anyone here tries it out I am very curious to hear about your experience!

• Options
    kime, that is indeed the manual and it is correct that currently the roles are werewolf and villager. The first additional role will be the seer... that should probably only take a week because I've been planning on it all along. I'm taking a bit of a rest right now because I spent many late nights trying to get this ready before PAX but just missed it. :? Beyond that, I have no immediate plans as I have personally only played the simple versions. As I said above I am customer-driven and I do my best to plan out work based upon what people want.

• Options
    CythraulCythraul Registered User regular
    Interested in seeing where this game goes! I'd get to day 1 kime by phone too?!? :D:D:D

I'm sure kime would agree that more variety in roles would make it much more popular, at least amongst the CF crowd. I'm sure a large number of us would pick it up if it could do some of the things we manage on the forum.

Steam
    Confusion will be my epitaph
  • Options
    AthenorAthenor Battle Hardened Optimist The Skies of HiigaraRegistered User regular
    I got to play Werewolves at a friend's birthday party a few weeks back, and I participated in phallas before I learned they were extremely bad for my mental health and sanity. So to have an Android version of one should rock. :)

I'm looking at the page.. it looks like it identifies people by their phone type? Or is that just the testing version? Also, do you only play against your friends, or is there a "public game" option?

I could see a game like this being helpful to eliminate the need for a storyteller, like if it shook your phone or something. Though that could give away too much.

He/Him | "A boat is always safest in the harbor, but that’s not why we build boats." | "If you run, you gain one. If you move forward, you gain two." - Suletta Mercury, G-Witch
  • Options
    For testing purposes I named the players after the various devices I was using, and this is what you are seeing in the screenshots. Players can use whatever names they like as long as they are all unique. Werewolves is a social game, and is designed to be played locally, so the design is focused on a group of people in the same room. There's nothing to stop any number of devices that are Internet-reachable from playing, but at this point there are no special mechanics to assist in that. As you pointed out there is no need for a storyteller or moderator - the host gets to play just like anyone else, which is an advantage.

• Options
    So this got into the wild a bit too late for PAX, but I'll still give away 10 free copies. Just send me an e-mail after your purchase indicating that you read this forum and I will refund the purchase. I'm curious to hear someone's experience playing this in a large group!

As for the upgrade to include the seer, I should be starting on the coding in a few days. My graphic artist will need some lead time to create the new images.

• Options
    RhileyRhiley Registered User regular
    Does this have any type of matchmaking so you can play with random public users or is it invite only?

2013 Prime Omeganaut
  • Options
    It's essentially invite-only. Werewolves is a game that relies on a group of people in the same room talking, debating, lying, etc... I'm not sure if it would work with the players being remote. My focus as a developer is on games that people can play in personal groups, not the more isolated stuff that tends to be the norm.

P.S. Still 10 free copies to give away!

• Options
    I just published an official 1.00 release of Werewolves and Villagers. Still have 10 copies to give away.... someone's entire game group could snag this for free! The coding is just about done for the Seer and I'm working with my graphic artist to define the new images. Have to decide what this role is going to look like...

• Options
    Release 1.10 was just uploaded to Google Play and should be live soon. This version features the Seer! Anyone want to give this a whirl?

• Options
    DrakhadesDrakhades Registered User regular
    any way you could (easily) do a webplayer version? I think you'd get more feedback from webbies (like me) if you did

• Options
    I think a web version already exists somewhere, so I'm not keen to reinvent the wheel. I'm trying to focus on the party atmosphere where everyone is together in the same room.

• Options
    JAGSJAGS Orlando/VietnamRegistered User regular
    Dusda wrote: »

o_0 I've only played this with a live group. I wouldn't think this to be much fun via social media/web. Where is the arguing, the body language clues, and painting someones false logic into a corner? Then again, maybe online I could live past the 1st round. :(

Cursed MECH 1/2 Tower Defense 1/2 Twin Stick Action. FREE 2 Play.
    http://www.kickstarter.com/projects/budleiser/web-and-ios-game-twin-stick-shooter-tower-defense
  • Options
    edited October 2012
    As was mentioned above, there's a big community of us that play it here on these forums. It has an entirely different dynamic, and you have to watch out for different clues.

I haven't played in person in a long time. Not that I wouldn't want to, but I don't have a large enough group of interested people here. :(

Edit: JAGS, if you're interested in trying it online, hop over to the Critical Failures subforum, or just watch this thead for new games.

There are actually sign-ups for one now, but I think that game may be a bit heavy if you're new. Not that you can't, it would be awesome if you did join, but if you are hesitant, or if you want a game that's more indicative of how they usually go, I don't think that's best :)

kime on
    Steam profile
  • Options
    JAGS, I'm attempting to keep the live flavor with my app. My design goal was to let the app serve as an extension to the game where it keeps track of the voting/bookkeeping and the players can just have fun. If you can get a few friends together and you'd like to try it I will give out some refunds...

• Options
    I just finished a promotional video for the game:

Werewolves & Villagers Promo

• Options
    fallenfallen Boston MARegistered User regular
    awesome video! well done

so the idea really is not to replace the card game and to make a distributed version, but to enable an easier around-the-table version of the game? cool!

• Options
    ZenfarZenfar Registered User regular
    Why Mafia as another role? How about Mad Scientist or Priest or Monster Hunter?

• Options
    I just released version 1.20. The main feature is a rewrite of the networking code which makes the gameplay much snappier. I plan to add some more features in the near future. Still willing to give a few freebies to forum members!

• Options
    Version 1.22 is out. The host can now activate text-to-speech on their device and it will speak the game events as they happen. This is very similar to having a traditional narrator and it makes it easier to follow what's going on.

• Options
    I just wanted to mention that I'll be at PAX East with the game, and I'm bringing all the Android devices I own. I hope to see some of you there!

• Options
    I'm pleased to announce that Werewolves and Villagers has gone freemium as of version 1.30! The basic game allows play with Werewolves and Villagers. Upgrading to the premium version unlocks additional roles such as the Seer, removes all advertising, and enables a few other features. I'm optimistic that this change will encourage more players and really get the ball rolling.