As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

Dark Souls -- PC Version Launches On Steam August 23rd!

• Options
    DouglasDangerDouglasDanger PennsylvaniaRegistered User regular
    Some weapons seem to have a dex requirement, like that one huge ass katana.

• Options
    NerdgasmicNerdgasmic __BANNED USERS regular
    you can hold off on getting more Str and Dex than you need to meet minimum requirements until later levels

vit and end are usually much more valuable early on, and it isn't really until you have highly upgraded weapons that scaling begins to matter

• Options
    VALVEjunkieVALVEjunkie Registered User regular
    if you want to use it then stick the required points in dex! easy as pie.

• Options
    I think i am level 25, I just unlocked the lower Undead Burg, freed Griggs, and then ran back out of there because I was getting weird vibes and I needed to find a campfire.

My nephew and I are taking one hour turns. He thought this game was too hard, so he plays New Vegas.

• Options
    so i spend a lot of time hollow, because i die every 10 minutes or so

i can be summoned when hollow, right?

• Options
    yes, you can drop signs and have people summon you when you're hollow. if you beat the area's boss with them you get a humanity! with that you can go human and have someone else help you!

JOLLY COOPERATION!

• Options
    augustaugust where you come from is gone Registered User regular
    So Anor Londo is supposed to be a bad place where the bosses are hard and it's difficult to summon help because of all the invasions.

You could have fooled me, though. I had like five people to choose from for help and they showed me where a secret room was and then we worked the bosses like what. It got a little tense towards the end but the amount of help I get every time I go up against a new boss for the first time has turned them from controller breakingly nuts to fun, exciting spectacles.

This is all on XBox live btw.

• Options
    SLyMSLyM Registered User regular
    Yeah, on the console the people playing are the ones who love it and have been playing nonstop for a long-ass time.

My friend is working on a roguelike game you can play if you want to. (It has free demo)
  • Options
    not to mention that stupid bottomless box glitch that's been plaguing the game since like a week after launch.

• Options
    i just got it on ps3 and i try to avoid being human if it all possible because of invaders

• Options
    ultimakay wrote: »
    I think you can find 6 in the firelink shrine if you drop down the elevator shaft.

I am also having terrible urge to keep trying out different play styles, I may just end up playing through as a few different characters to make sure the one I am on currently is the one I want to play for the rest of the game.

man what

just jump down that elevator shaft? do you mean the one to undead parish church?

yes, i am reading this thread, and yes this post is almost a year old, but it is new to me

• Options
    BarcardiBarcardi All the Wizards Under A Rock: AfganistanRegistered User regular
    edited September 2012
    Just today i found out you can find a secret exit to Sens Fortress that allows you to go try to kill the giant that opens sens fortress gate.

key word try, hes got tons of space to work with and you cannot hide.

Barcardi on
  • Options
    just circle around him until he does the arm wavy charge thing, then beat on him while he catches his breath.

In other news, trying to do andor londo when you've spent all your souls on items instead of leveling is kinda not fun. So summon signs, you don't get summoned, and there isn't a whole lot to farm for souls so you can level enough to get player interaction going.

My friend is working on a roguelike game you can play if you want to. (It has free demo)
  • Options
    PharezonPharezon Struggle is an illusion. Victory is in the Qun.Registered User regular
    Barcardi wrote: »
    Just today i found out you can find a secret exit to Sens Fortress that allows you to go try to kill the giant that opens sens fortress gate.

Woah woah owah.

jkZziGc.png
  • Options
    i came so close to killing that weird demon thing between Andre and Darkroot. I almost had it four or five times! I used all 10 of my bombs, and six of my eight fireball things, and two handed my long sword +3 (haha wink face). I also used almost all 10 of my estus flasks. So close. I'll get it next time!

And it turns out there is sweet loot in the graveyard full of angry skeletons next to Firelink Shrine, but I do not have the stats for anything, not even the winged spear. I need two more levels of dex to get to 15. Vit is almost to 20, 18 or 19 I think, end is at 20, I don't know much about the rest of the stats. I think I will just farm souls and hope for titanite tomorrow.

• Options
    Barcardi wrote: »

the giant that does the opening is the level boss

that other golem just drops rocks into the dungeon

• Options
    GoatmonGoatmon Companion of Kess Registered User regular
    edited September 2012
    So uh, I'm probably done with this game.

Took me a day just to figure out how to get past the first room. Had no real fun forcing myself to adapt to the controls, and once that was over with, it still felt very clunky and I can do nothing to get the framerate down to something reasonable.

But if I were really having fun otherwise, I could get past all that. Problem is, I'm not.

I'm in the second level, and I'm just getting really fed up at the enemies and not really finding any satisfaction in killing them because of how much work it's making me do to kill anything.

I'm glad I tried it, but

Well actually no, I'm not. I could have just slammed my head in a door for the same experience, and saved myself the $40 for something more useful.

Goatmon on
    Switch Friend Code: SW-6680-6709-4204

• Options
    I'm sorry you didn't like it

you're missing out on a great game

• Options
    edited September 2012
    For me to be missing out I would have to have stopped doing something I was enjoying.

It is possible that the versions on 360/PS3 are actually fun! Too bad that wasn't what I was playing.

I may give it a try if they come out with mods that address some of the major problems I had, but otherwise, I'm pretty much done with it.

Goatmon on

• Options
    even on the consoles it takes a while to get used to the controls

but once you get into them they actually work very well

• Options
    edited September 2012
    I was actually getting pretty comfortable with the combat controls.

Problem is that it was forcing me to do stuff like turn targetting on and off over and over because the only place where I could comfortably fight these two skeleton assholes was on a path right next to that giant bird, and the autotarget kept making me turn to face this giant bird hovering nearby while these two skeleton assholes are trying to stab me to death. That got tired really fucking quick.

I think I managed to kill them both once out of some 20+ deaths.

I have a very strict policy on how much effort something can force out of me before it stops being fun. When just killing a few enemies takes this much work, there's just no fun to be had. With some of the port issues resolved i can see it being a lot less annoying otherwise. But, personally, thus far the gameplay itself just isn't worth putting up with everything that's wrong with it.

Goatmon on

• Options
    you went the wrong way

the skeletons aren't really intended to be fought that early by first time players

• Options
    edited September 2012
    It was the only path I could find that wasn't a dead end.

Goatmon on

• Options
    ShenShen Registered User regular
    Yeah the game is trash without a controller, and if you're getting bad framerates there's no reason to stick around.

3DS: 2234-8122-8398 | Battle.net (EU): Ladi#2485
    ladi.png
  • Options
    Goatmon wrote: »

there's a staircase leading up on the far right

• Options
    edited September 2012
    Speaking of which, I was worried about the lack of graphics adjustment options, and tried that "Fix" mod. And all it did was turn the graphics up.

It ran worse at 800x600 with the mod on than it currently does at 1024x768.

Goatmon on

• Options
    Nerdgasmic wrote: »
    Goatmon wrote: »

there's a staircase leading up on the far right

I followed that, and came to what seemed like a dead end.

I guess I'll give it one last try tomorrow.

• Options
    Indie WinterIndie Winter die Krähe Rudi Hurzlmeier (German, b. 1952)Registered User regular
    only time I got bad framerate was when Steam was downloading a patch for Endless Space in the background

and yeah Goatmon, there's a much, muh easier way right the other way around

I would say you should give it one more try, maybe watch a little of an LP or read a FAQ to give you a general direction first

because it is worth it

wY6K6Jb.gif
  • Options
    the very far right

• Options
    Indie WinterIndie Winter die Krähe Rudi Hurzlmeier (German, b. 1952)Registered User regular
    from the main hub, with your back against the flooded temple, go left up the stairs

there's a stone archeway there with more stairs, leading to a door, enemies around it

go there

wY6K6Jb.gif
  • Options
    Yeah

I went there

Fought some dudes and thought it was a dead end.

I will try.

Again.

Tomorrow.

Jesus.

• Options
    Also, that what that mod does is give you 2 resolutions, the one the game plays at, and the one it displays at. If you put the display resolution really low, but keep the game playing on a high one, it'll have to work really hard on the AA. If you put them at the same, or even have it display larger than it runs at, it will be a lot smoother. You have to go into the file that you put in your directory to make the change.

• Options
    You should get a gamepad, from what I hear, @Goatmon

and then You Should Do Better Next Time!

that is the lesson Dark Souls has taught me.

• Options
    ButtfortButtfort don't go to church on a sunday got my own special wayRegistered User regular
    Dark Souls is a game that cares deeply about education. Generally speaking in Dark Souls if you died it's more or less your own fault and there are definite steps you can take to make sure it doesn't happen again.

Unless you died fighting the capra demon, there's not a lot you can do about him except cry and cry.

• Options
    edited September 2012
    You do have to learn things, but the game doesn't tell you a lot of things, and the manual is a joke. You need to read every little note too.

I have vit to 20, end to 20, dex to 13, shooting for 15, I think str is 15? I am going to get dex up to 15, I think, and then start dumping points into str. I want to use the winged spear, and eventually wind up with a huge anime katana.

I spent a couple of hours playing so far today. I can't get anyone to summon me for the gargoyle fight. I put the sign right in front of the door on the Andre/fire side and wait around, and eventually I get bored. I still haven't killed that crippled demon thing between Andre and Darkroot, but I get so close some times.

DouglasDanger on
  • Options
    Zen VulgarityZen Vulgarity What a lovely day for tea Secret British ThreadRegistered User regular
    Anor londo can suck my balls

• Options
    NikolaiNikolai SSSSSSSSSSS Registered User regular
    I've never summoned anyone in this game. NPC or otherwise. The gargoyle fight took me forever.

xXNXOA7.png?1
  • Options
    DarmakDarmak RAGE vympyvvhyc vyctyvyRegistered User regular
    Buttfort wrote: »
    Dark Souls is a game that cares deeply about education. Generally speaking in Dark Souls if you died it's more or less your own fault and there are definite steps you can take to make sure it doesn't happen again.

Unless you died fighting the capra demon, there's not a lot you can do about him except cry and cry.

Or beat him your first time because you're a badass [/smug]

I seriously think I lucked out though because I kept hearing about how hard he was and I just walked into the room and killed the dogs and him without taking a single hit.

JtgVX0H.png
  • Options
    Zen VulgarityZen Vulgarity What a lovely day for tea Secret British ThreadRegistered User regular
    Also fuck invaders

• Options
    what happened, zen

This discussion has been closed.