As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

Self-contained recommendations

2»

• Options
    KVWKVW Registered User regular
    edited July 2007
    Fables 1001 Nights of Snowfall is made of win and awesome. Self contained as well. Its about old fable characters (snow white, etc) and is a set of random stories about characters in the main series. You do not need to read the main story to understand it.

Superman Red Son. Probably the best Superman story you can read as its an Elseworlds story that allows writers to be unique and creative with him.

JLA Earth 2 is another great one shot elseworlds (I assume its elseworlds, but could be wrong. Dont think its ever been mentioned in continuity and too lazy to check if its marked as such). Its basically a one off story of the meeting between the JLA and Crime Syndicate of Amerika (evil earth 2 counterparts of JLA). Really well done story that requires only the most basic understanding of DC (ie Superman is super, Batman is the god damn Batman, etc).

League of Extraordinary Gentlemen is another must have. Theres 2 volumes, but each could be considered self contained. Do not confuse with the groan inducing LXG movie.

Ghost in the Shell is an incredible read, even after all these years. If you liked Akira, you'll like GitS.

The Golden Age is another DC must read Elseworlds tale. Deals with the golden age characters after the war dealing with McCarthyism.

If you decide on Sandman, Lucifer will be an excellent companion piece as well as the Death minis/tpbs. Get the Sandman Absolutes if you decide. Worth every penny (although only one out as far as i know with 2 more on the way).

Rising Stars rocked for the first 2 trades then floundered to a mediocre ending in the third, but I think id still recommend it.

More contemporary pieces from Marvel like Runaways or Annihilation (i didnt know anything about half the characters and only knew the rest of them by name/image when I first read it and it was awesome, 3 hardcovers for the set).

Im sure there are a million others people will get around to recommending that I missed.

KVW on
  • Options
    AlgertmanAlgertman Registered User regular
    edited July 2007
    Flex Mentallo

Algertman on
  • Options
    jabrams007jabrams007 Registered User regular
    edited July 2007
    Some great recommendations so far! Especially Sanctuary if you can find it. Here are some more of my own. These are all "done in 1" trades that the OP seems to be looking for:

Pride of Baghdad
    Mouseguard
    Wanted
    Orbiter
    Batman: Year One
    Blankets
    Soulwind
    Midnight Nation
    Inhumans
    Rose (especially if you liked Bone)
    Stardust
    Murder Mysteries
    Superman Birthright
    Superman For All Seasons
    Daredevil: The Man Without Fear
    Long Halloween
    Almost anything by Andi Watson or Scott Morse
    Domu (especially if you liked Akira)

That's all I can think off off the top of my head. Hope that helps, and enjoy!

jabrams007 on
  • Options
    ShoggothShoggoth Registered User regular
    edited July 2007
    Algertman wrote: »
    Flex Mentallo

Lawl, I had the chance to read it a while ago but we sold all the issues before I could D:

Shoggoth on
    11tu0w1.jpg
  • Options
    Dublo7Dublo7 Registered User regular
    edited July 2007
    Dublo7 on
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
  • Options
    AlgertmanAlgertman Registered User regular
    edited July 2007
    Shoggoth wrote: »
    Algertman wrote: »
    Flex Mentallo

Lawl, I had the chance to read it a while ago but we sold all the issues before I could D:

AAAAHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHH!

Algertman on
  • Options
    CharmyCharmy Registered User regular
    edited July 2007
    My major recommendation is, and always will be, Grant Morrison's run on "Animal Man". It's mostly self-contained (there is some crossover with the larger DCU), awesome as hell, and available in a three trade set.

Watchmen is pretty high on the list, of course, though you've already read it. I can't recommend New Frontier enough; it's perhaps one of the best things to come out of superhero comics ever. Runaways Vol. 1 is self-contained and pretty amazing.

Charmy on
    I have a twitter.
  • Options
    SageinaRageSageinaRage Registered User regular
    edited July 2007
    I enjoyed Ultimate Adventures a lot, and it's completely self contained - as far as I know none of the characters are used elsewhere. (Except for the cameo from the Ultimates).

On that note, does anyone know if they're going to make more comics about Hawk-Owl and co. ?

SageinaRage on
    sig.gif
  • Options
    edited July 2007
    Blade of the Immortal is a good self contained manga. Although it runs past 100 issues.

Shoggoth on
    11tu0w1.jpg
  • Options
    Calamity JaneCalamity Jane That Wrong Love Registered User regular
    edited July 2007
    The Punisher: Born

Calamity Jane on
    twitter https://twitter.com/mperezwritesirl michelle patreon https://www.patreon.com/thatwronglove michelle's comic book from IMAGE COMICS you can order http://a.co/dn5YeUD
  • Options
    Dublo7Dublo7 Registered User regular
    edited July 2007
    Blade of the Immortal is a good self contained manga. Although it runs past 100 issues.
    Yeah, it's pretty damned expensive. The trades over here run for around 30 dollars each D:

Dublo7 on
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
  • Options
    Chrono PaladinChrono Paladin Registered User regular
    edited July 2007
    In terms of self-contained single issues, I've really liked Fell so far.
    Detective Comics usually achieves the same short story style.

They're good alternatives to graphic novels if you just want a relatively cheap self-contained reads.
    But then again, I'm just a sucker for short detective stories.

Chrono Paladin on
  • Options
    DraXXXenDraXXXen Registered User regular
    edited July 2007
    EMPOWERED by Adam Warren.
    It was funnier then it has any right to be, a good comic to get into if you are going into withdrawal from a lack of Nextwave. Available in a TPB that just came out.

DraXXXen on
    donutMachine.jpg
  • Options
    edited July 2007
    Dublo7 wrote: »
    Yeah, it's pretty damned expensive. The trades over here run for around 30 dollars each D:

Weird, they're like under $15.00 on amazon.

Shoggoth on
    11tu0w1.jpg
  • Options
    grendel824_grendel824_ Registered User regular
    edited July 2007
    actually "The Matrix" was inspired by a screenplay called Third Eye that the Wachowski brothers stole.

That's an urban legend (or the ravings of a paranoid who claims every successful movie EVER stole from her screenplays, even if they had to time travel in order to do it). You make the call.:roll:

grendel824_ on
  • Options
    ChicoBlueChicoBlue Registered User regular
    edited July 2007
    Ministry of Space.

ChicoBlue on
  • Options
    FeathersMcGrawFeathersMcGraw Registered User regular
    edited July 2007
    More emphatic support for Girl Genius.

Other stuff I've enjoyed a lot, in no particular order:

Finder