As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/

[PA Comic] Monday, September 3, 2012 - Friction

GethGeth LegionPerseus VeilRegistered User, Moderator, Penny Arcade Staff, Vanilla Staff vanilla
edited September 2012 in The Penny Arcade Hub

• HenroidHenroid Mexican kicked from Immigration Thread Centrism is Racism :3Registered User regular
    Oh my god yes.

• SabreMauSabreMau ネトゲしよう 판다리아Registered User regular
    Not my least favorite PA, but I'd still put it in the bottom 5.

• TleilaxuTleilaxu Registered User regular
    edited September 2012
    We need to build a ghost fence to secure our borders from those dad-gumm vampires!

Tleilaxu on
    checkpointangrybirds.gif
  • Black_HeartBlack_Heart Registered User regular
    Well you know what Igmund?!

MAYBE people would come to you instead of the Dwarves for their smithing if you had better craftsmanship, could work mythril, and knew how to throw a few enchantments on things. Don't blame them because you dropped out of smithing school and can't keep up in today's market.

• CasualCasual Wiggle Wiggle Wiggle Flap Flap Flap Registered User regular
    SabreMau wrote: »

You going to say why or is this just a hit and run?

• -Tal-Tal Registered User regular
    is that Link

PNk1Ml4.png
  • PeewiPeewi Registered User regular
    -Tal wrote: »
    is that Link

I think that's supposed to be long hair and not a cap.

• HenroidHenroid Mexican kicked from Immigration Thread Centrism is Racism :3Registered User regular

Go back to Ysgard.

• ZolafZolaf Registered User new member
    Does Link have a hotdog fairy?

• InXplotchInXplotch Registered User regular
    Zolaf wrote: »
    Does Link have a hotdog fairy?

I think you are correct. Guess he had to replace navi eventually.

PSN: InXplotch
    ... My, what a boring Signature.
  • BrainleechBrainleech 機知に富んだコメントはここにあります Registered User regular
    I do say a lot of racist things againist gnomes in wow
    Because I just dislike them

• LucascraftLucascraft Registered User regular
    Casual wrote: »

I agree with Sabre. Not the greatest comic. Maybe a bit of context from the newspost will help, but on it's own it feels like a joke from 2004.

• A Dabble Of TheloniusA Dabble Of Thelonius It has been a doozy of a dayRegistered User regular
    2004, the year of fantasy racism.

vm8gvf5p7gqi.jpg
    Steam - Talon Valdez :Blizz - Talonious#1860 : Xbox Live & LoL - Talonious Monk @TaloniousMonk Hail Satan
  • TheOtherHorsemanTheOtherHorseman Registered User regular
    It was a bad year to be an orc.

• GaslightGaslight Registered User regular
    Yeah, have to say I agree with Lucascraft and Sabre, feels pretty uninspired. But hey, they're coming off of PAX, and it's also a pseudo-holiday, so whatevs.

• KalTorakKalTorak One way or another, they all end up in the Undercity.Registered User regular
    This comic is from the PAX Make-a-Comic panel, if that changes anything.

(Hence the hotdog fairy and tiny bird and Binwin)

• AurichAurich ArizonaRegistered User regular
    It's like the opposite of allegory. In fantasy settings, all those negative stereotypes are actually racial abilities!

• BusterKBusterK Negativity is Boring Cynicism is Cowardice Registered User regular
    Dwarves actually exist

Visit http://www.cruzflores.com for all your Cruz Flores needs. Also listen to the podcast I do with Penguin Incarnate http://wgsgshow.podomatic.com
    Amazon Wishlist: http://www.amazon.com/BusterK/wishlist/3JPEKJGX9G54I/ref=cm_wl_search_bin_1
  • LuxLux Registered User regular
    Aurich wrote: »
    It's like the opposite of allegory. In fantasy settings, all those negative stereotypes are actually racial abilities!

I've always wondered what it would be like for a game to translate real world racial politics into a fantasy world. "LISTEN, JUST BECAUSE I'M A DWARF DOESN'T MEAN I'M A BLACKSMITH, OKAY? I DON'T EVEN LIKE MINES."

• -Tal-Tal Registered User regular
    Lux wrote: »

I've always wondered what it would be like for a game to translate real world racial politics into a fantasy world. "LISTEN, JUST BECAUSE I'M A DWARF DOESN'T MEAN I'M A BLACKSMITH, OKAY? I DON'T EVEN LIKE MINES."

275px-Varric.jpg

PNk1Ml4.png
  • SabreMauSabreMau ネトゲしよう 판다리아Registered User regular
    Casual wrote: »

1) A people-standing-and-talking comic again.
    2) Not an obvious political comic, but feels like one.
    3) If it's referencing a game in particular, I have no idea which one. If it's just genre, eh.
    4) I look forward to the Draw a Comic Panel for months, which furthered Saturday's disappointment.

• WUAWUA Registered User regular
    I wanted to make a joke about the opposite. That is to say, about real races transplanted into a fantasy RPG context. I was going to say something about rolling a black guy giving a +5 bonus to athletics, but then I remembered that Elder Scrolls already did that for reals.

• KalTorakKalTorak One way or another, they all end up in the Undercity.Registered User regular
    Oh shit I just noticed that the First Party jackets are up for sale, finally - how long has that been going on?

goddamn those are hot. Might have to wait until Christmas to justify $120 hotness, but shit.

• LuxLux Registered User regular
    -Tal wrote: »

275px-Varric.jpg

Only played Dragon Age: Origins :( Sounds cool though.

• TychoCelchuuuTychoCelchuuu PIGEON Registered User regular
    I like the little bird in panel 2. Otherwise kind of a boring comic.

• piLpiL Registered User regular

This is how Shadowrun Dwarves behave.

• BarryvaBarryva Registered User new member
    Not sure if strip is funny..or I am just punchy from attending PRIME.

J/K loved this one

• Eat it You Nasty Pig.Eat it You Nasty Pig. tell homeland security 'we are the bomb'Registered User regular
    these kind of comics do feel sort of like reaching for the low hanging fruit

on the other hand I have a virtually endless appetite for the 'taking our jerbs' meme, so

NREqxl5.jpg
    it was the smallest on the list but
    Pluto was a planet and I'll never forget
  • Warlock82Warlock82 Never pet a burning dog Registered User regular
    Yeah not feeling this one... I don't really get where they were going with it...

Switch: 2143-7130-1359 | 3DS: 4983-4927-6699 | Steam: warlock82 | PSN: Warlock2282
  • ArbitraryDescriptorArbitraryDescriptor changed Registered User regular
    Outside of the Schmaurnyaarks, the quality of life in Ysgard makes Hotel Rwanda look like a Sandals. That elf can go fuck himself.

• Goose!Goose! That's me, honey Show me the way home, honeyRegistered User regular
    During the Q&A, the first question they took (after Jerry wrote up the script for the comic) was a guy who basically said he had a friend who not only doesn't believe in other life forms but actively hates the idea of "alien" things and only played human races in D&D even though he was a world traveler and has seen people of all types and what not. It was such a weird first question that it felt like a plant, but Jerry said that the whole idea of the comic was lampooning that idea, that someone would bring racism to a fantasy realm.

But racism in fantasy is like how I learned about racism (beyond the "racists bad, MLK good!" thing we got in elementary school). Elves in Dragonlance getting all uppity about Tanis being a half-breed and whatnot.

http://tvtropes.org/pmwiki/pmwiki.php/Main/FantasticRacism

• Saint JusticeSaint Justice Mercenary Mah-vel Baybee!!!Registered User regular
    I was there while they did the strip and it was a lot of fun. I'm glad we got to squeeze so many suggestions into the final product. My favorite is the request to make one of the Minotaur's nipple rings into a skull.

Some people play tennis, I erode the human soul. ~ Tycho