As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

[Dark Souls] If only I could be so grossly incandescent (as Durante) - Res fix in OP

• Options
    DrascinDrascin Registered User regular
    Behemoth wrote: »
    Drascin wrote: »
    ...I'm trapped, seems.
    At New Londo, I found mist gate. It came into a spiral tower that went all the way down - but which seems to have no exit and I can't go back through the mist.

What do?
    You found the boss arena! Congratulations!

Unfortunately, to actually fight the boss, down in the Abyss, you need to get a ring from the giant wolf boss in Darkroot Garden. So... either use a homeward bone or jump to your death.
    I edited my post while you were writing, actually. Also, I have the ring already. Killing Sif broke my fucking heart but I did it.

Now the thing is whether I want to actually jump down and face this boss, because as mentioned, apparently doing so makes me give the Lordvessel to someone else and in honesty these darkwraith dudes look like they're basically MADE of evil.

Steam ID: Right here.
  • Options
    EtiowsaEtiowsa Registered User regular
    ...I'm trapped, seems.
    At New Londo, I found mist gate. It came into a spiral tower that went all the way down - but which seems to have no exit and I can't go back through the mist.

What do?

EDIT: A little googling tells me I have to equip the Abysswalker ring and drop - I'd kind of guessed the ring might be it, but I didn't think to just drop, I figured it'd be more of a matter of appearing stairs and then when they didn't I unequipped it.

The same google, though, tells me that if I do go down and face the boss there, then I'll give the Lordvessel thingie to someone else instead of Frampt. Hm. Not sure what to do. On that note, even if I give the Lordvessel to someone, I can still warp, right?
    You can still warp around regardless of who you give the lordvessel to. You need to give it to the abyss guy to access the darkwraith covenant though.

• Options
    BehemothBehemoth Compulsive Seashell Collector Registered User regular
    Behemoth wrote: »
    ...I'm trapped, seems.

What do?
    You found the boss arena! Congratulations!

Unfortunately, to actually fight the boss, down in the Abyss, you need to get a ring from the giant wolf boss in Darkroot Garden. So... either use a homeward bone or jump to your death.
    I edited my post while you were writing, actually. Also, I have the ring already. Killing Sif broke my fucking heart but I did it.

Now the thing is whether I want to actually jump down and face this boss, because as mentioned, apparently doing so makes me give the Lordvessel to someone else and in honesty these darkwraith dudes look like they're basically MADE of evil.
    Ah

Well you don't have to give it to Kaathe if you beat the Four Kings before placing it. It just makes that an option.

iQbUbQsZXyt8I.png
  • Options
    Well, it was kind of academical anyway. I just got basically destroyed.

• Options
    LanrutconLanrutcon The LabyrinthRegistered User regular
    The four kings are ass. The game generally rewards slow, careful progress with planning, awareness and preparation.

The four kings? nah, fuck that shit! WHAT'S YOUR DPS BRO?!?!

Capture.jpg~original
    Currently playing: GW2 and TSW
  • Options
    KainyKainy Pimpin' and righteous Registered User regular
    Well, it was kind of academical anyway. I just got basically destroyed.

Yeah, I was gonna say, with how little of the game you've done, Four Kings is going to undo and remake your anus in all kinds of creative ways.

Also, I kind of forgot to mention this, but anyone going to Blighttown should go back to the Undead Asylum and get the Rusted Iron Ring first. It makes it so you can move normally in muck, and thus makes the swamp portion of Blighttown refreshingly not awful.

IcyLiquid wrote: »
    There's anti-fuckery code in there now :) Sorry :)
  • Options
    Just beat Jake and the Fat Man again, and then helped two other people beat them. I got invaded between helping, and one of my hosts got invaded on the way there.

First thing in the morning: the best time for online play. Who'd've thunk?

iQbUbQsZXyt8I.png
  • Options
    Well, to be honest, "destroyed" is a bit of a misnomer. I wasn't hanging all THAT badly. The main problem is that fighting in a black void disorients me like you wouldn't believe and I have trouble dodging some of the guys' melee attacks due to that.

• Options
    If you're dodging, you're not swinging. If you're not swinging, you won't keep up with the dps race.

Get a ton of poise, an upgraded 2 handed weapon and go Conan on those assholes. There's no other way that I know of to get through that fight.

Capture.jpg~original
  • Options
    The secret to Four Kings is that they come out at a fixed pace. If you aren't killing them fast enough, you'll eventually be fighting 2 or 3 of them, which gets very, very hard.

• Options
    Kainy wrote: »
    The secret to Four Kings is that they come out at a fixed pace. If you aren't killing them fast enough, you'll eventually be fighting 2 or 3 of them, which gets very, very hard.

Shit, 2 of them is already crazy. They love barraging you with magic if you don't engage them in melee, so the moment there's 2 you always get raped in the back by Gandalf McUndeadmerlin pants.

Capture.jpg~original
  • Options
    Lanrutcon wrote: »
    If you're dodging, you're not swinging. If you're not swinging, you won't keep up with the dps race.

Get a ton of poise, an upgraded 2 handed weapon and go Conan on those assholes. There's no other way that I know of to get through that fight.

Do keep in mind I'm packing a wonderful 16 strength. Most big two-handers are waaaaaay out of my stat range. I could two-hand my +5 Silver Knight Sword if it'd help, or try upgrading the Black knight sword, maybe.

• Options

Do keep in mind I'm packing a wonderful 16 strength. Most big two-handers are waaaaaay out of my stat range. I could two-hand my +5 Silver Knight Sword if it'd help, or try upgrading the Black knight sword, maybe.

Same boat as me. I have 16 str and 40 Dex, 2 handing a Silver Knight Spear + 5 isn't doing the trick atm. I'm convinced that dex weapons are ass for damage, all the hard hitting weapons require chunky amounts of Strength. Gonna try the 4 Kings again tonight with a Furysword +5...I bet those fuckers don't like fire.

Capture.jpg~original
  • Options
    JintorJintor Registered User regular
    Eff you Sen's Fortress, Effffffffffffff youuuuuuuuuuuuuuuu

• Options
    A high upgrade Fire or Lightning Claymore is actually a really, really powerful weapon, and its 1-handed heavy attack is the extremely useful stab, just like the Balder Side Sword, and it can be 1 handed at 16 strength.

Sadly you only get one Claymore per playthrough, last I checked.

• Options
    SatsumomoSatsumomo Rated PG! Registered User regular
    Is there a secret way to get to the lower parts of Sen's fortress, where the Titanite demons are? I can survive the fall but it seems far from elegant.

• Options
    edited September 2012
    Satsumomo wrote: »
    Is there a secret way to get to the lower parts of Sen's fortress, where the Titanite demons are? I can survive the fall but it seems far from elegant.

Nope

Just have to fall. You can open up a safer way down, but it's one of those 1-way-locked doors.

Behemoth on
    iQbUbQsZXyt8I.png
  • Options
    I still need to go back and finish completely clearing Sen's Fortress.

I don't much relish the idea of fighting all those goddamn Titanite Demons, though... blegh.

108,000 souls to get my flame up to +15, and then I think I'll do that.

• Options
    Well, I think I'm going to give the Kings another try. Put on as much of Havel's as I can without going over 50% (to reach them quick), Magic Weapon, stamina-recharging herb, two-handing the silver sword, and let's see what shakes out.

I'm half-considering Power Within, but it seems kind of suicidal.

• Options
    Titanite Demons are weak to many arrows from afar. They're annoying to fight in melee.

Capture.jpg~original
  • Options
    They have a sweet spot to their left, where they will swing at you and miss constantly, but it leaves you open for them to do that quick jump and falling stab thing they do that can outright kill you.

• Options
    They are also one of my favorite monster designs. They are like these really ancient guardian statues, from a long lost era, feared by the whole world as unstoppable forces, but now they are reduced to being stuck in forgotten areas, crippled to only be able to crawl around, and yet, they are relentless and worthy adversaries even in their sad state.

• Options
    Satsumomo wrote: »
    They are also one of my favorite monster designs. They are like these really ancient guardian statues, from a long lost era, feared by the whole world as unstoppable forces, but now they are reduced to being stuck in forgotten areas, crippled to only be able to crawl around, and yet, they are relentless and worthy adversaries even in their sad state.

You just described half the monsters in the game. Old and worn, unable to leave their zones, but totally able to wreck your shit :P

Capture.jpg~original
  • Options
    JintorJintor Registered User regular
    Yeah, those Titanite Golems are awesome. And my shield + axe are tanked to the point where so long as I'm careful and I have enough room and I'm not being shot at by GODDAMN MAGES I can really enjoy a fight with them.

This doesn't happen very often.

Got to the roof of Sen's. I'm tired as hell.

• Options
    Alistair HuttonAlistair Hutton Dr EdinburghRegistered User regular
    The four kings are ass. The game generally rewards slow, careful progress with planning, awareness and preparation.

You'd be surprised about how much the game rewards you for blindly charging around. As soon as you stop you're fucked, if you run into an area and stop to get your bearings you will be murder killed but keep on running and enemies will often fall far behind you. You can explore masses of the map this way and pickup helpful items.

That's mostly how I dealt with the Catacombs - ran around like a loon, occasionally kamikazeing against any necromancers I found - running so fast all the traps and ambushes were pretty much going off behind me. So what if I died - I'd discovered some new info and you keep any loot you find.

If I'd went slow and cautious I'd have never of found the Catacombs Blacksmith and then I wouldn't have my Fire Zweihander. And then I'd be sad.

I have a thoughtful and infrequently updated blog about games http://whatithinkaboutwhenithinkaboutgames.wordpress.com/

I made a game, it has penguins in it. It's pay what you like on Gumroad.

Currently Ebaying Nothing at all but I might do in the future.
  • Options
    stopgapstopgap Registered User regular
    the first one i killed was so incredibly satisfying. almost as satisfying as the Taurus demon the first time. Best boss kill I have experienced thus far is killing Havel... that bastard.

steam_sig.png
  • Options
    Is the Zweihander also like the Halberd, where if you connect a hit, you don't stumble? Because I see many people liking it a lot but my guy just struggles so much to flail it around.

• Options
    Okay, this is doable. Easy, even. I almost took down the four kings easily. The first two died so fast that between the second and third I actually had to stop and wait. But when I charged the fourth I forgot to reequip my shield for the approach and got the twin diagonal hit straight to the face and died.

• Options
    Okay, this is doable. Easy, even. I almost took down the four kings easily. The first two died so fast that between the second and third I actually had to stop and wait. But when I charged the fourth I forgot to reequip my shield for the approach and got the twin diagonal hit straight to the face and died.

Hate you :( now if I don't kill them tonight I'll feel like a failure.

Capture.jpg~original
  • Options

Hate you :( now if I don't kill them tonight I'll feel like a failure.

Do keep in mind I'm kind of buff-stacking, though. Magic Weapon with Oolacile catalyst, fully upgraded Silver sword in two hands, and quick-regen herbs (seriously, buy some of those from the merchant at Sen's. The main advantage of Dex weapons is that they swing quickly, but that eats Stamina fast. With the herb it recharges really fast, allowing you to keep at it with very small breathers to scream WAAAAAAAAAGH ork-style).

• Options
    AkilaeAkilae Registered User regular
    Four Kings is pretty easy if you're able to let go of the dodge mentality. Full Havel's, Crest Shield, and the largest two hander you can use, and just charge in. They hit harder from afar than when you're right in their face.

• Options
    edited September 2012
    And Four Kings out, easy as pie. The grab is probably the most problematic thing they have - because it makes you lose a lot of time and you might get the next one appearing before finishing this one, and that is a big problem.

Also, one must be very careful of the diagonal slices when approaching. If you're up in their face the attack just hits you with the butt of the weapon and barely hurts (comparatively), but if you get caught by it in the blade area you're pretty much boned. I was packing all of Havel's except for the gauntlets, and each hit took a on the whereabouts of 650-700 HP. It also eats through shields like a motherfucker. So when you approach, keep an eye on what they do. If they put the weapon diagonally over their shoulder, prepare to DODGE. Once you're in, just keep whacking like a madman (screams of DEMACIA not necessary but recommended nonetheless), and take any time between Kings to renew your buffs.

In any case, I'm down in the Abyss bonfire right now. Anything else to do here, or should I just go away?

Drascin on
  • Options
    PolaritiePolaritie Sleepy Registered User regular
    And Four Kings out, easy as pie. The grab is probably the most problematic thing they have - because it makes you lose a lot of time and you might get the next one appearing before finishing this one, and that is a big problem.

Also, one must be very careful of the diagonal slices when approaching. If you're up in their face the attack just hits you with the butt of the weapon and barely hurts (comparatively), but if you get caught by it in the blade area you're pretty much boned. I was packing all of Havel's except for the gauntlets, and each hit took a on the whereabouts of 650-700 HP. It also eats through shields like a motherfucker. So when you approach, keep an eye on what they do. If they put the weapon diagonally over their shoulder, prepare to DODGE. Once you're in, just keep whacking like a madman (screams of DEMACIA not necessary but recommended nonetheless), and take any time between Kings to renew your buffs.

In any case, I'm down in the Abyss bonfire right now. Anything else to do here, or should I just go away?

Nothing to do there if you're not going Darkwraith. Just warp out and pick another boss to off.

Steam: Polaritie
    3DS: 0473-8507-2652
    Switch: SW-5185-4991-5118
    PSN: AbEntropy
  • Options
    LorkLork Registered User regular
    edited September 2012
    Polaritie wrote: »

Nothing to do there if you're not going Darkwraith. Just warp out and pick another boss to off.
    At the very least you should talk to Kaathe and hear what he has to say. I don't think Frampt will refuse to talk to you unless you actually place the lordvessel (you should; Frampt sucks), so you're probably safe on that front.

Lork on
    Steam Profile: Lork
  • Options
    edited September 2012
    Lork wrote: »
    Polaritie wrote: »

At the very least you should talk to Kaathe and hear what he has to say. I don't think Frampt will refuse to talk to you unless you actually place the lordvessel (you should; Frampt sucks), so you're probably safe on that front.

Frampt is more useful if you aren't going Darkwraith.
    Both of them have their own agendas anyways

Edit: Yay! Lucky loot of a black knight shield from my asylum return trip on a char. Rather nice, since it's so good against fire.

Polaritie on
  • Options
    4 Kings down. And accidentally scored another fire keeper soul.

Anor Londo didn't need her anyway.

Capture.jpg~original
  • Options
    krylon666krylon666 Registered User regular
    With the covetous ring + a bunch of humanity, I got a couple of the balder side swords - actually one guy almost dropped the entire balder set. I'm trying to decide how early I could get that ring on a new character. It would make farming leeches / slimes a lot nicer. I think I'm going to go with a sorcerer for now. I've done dex and melee a lot, time to nuke things with magic.

Can someone who played the new content tell me if there's anything I should do in a certain order, to not miss anything new. For instance:
    Someone mentioned that you can someone puppy Sif at some point, and that will change the intro to the fight. Is there anything else that should be done in a certain way so I can see all the summons or new things? Thanks

• Options
    The_SpaniardThe_Spaniard It's never lupines Irvine, CaliforniaRegistered User regular
    So what's so fancy about the gargoyle helm, it doesn't have the stats that my elite knight helmet has, but people rave about it online? Also when I get invaded do I want to use my halberd or zweihander?

I also just got the gargoyle halberd in Anor Londo, I'm thinking of making it lightning, would that be a decent well rounded path to take it for PvE and the occasional PvP invader? If I do that I'd probably make my zweihander fire.
    Curious about this.

Also lol at mildly implied sunbro-mance in Anor Londo. :D

Playstation/Origin/GoG: Span_Wolf Xbox/uPlay/Bnet: SpanWolf Nintendo: Span_Wolf SW-7097-4917-9392 Steam: http://steamcommunity.com/id/Span_Wolf/
  • Options
    Sorry, by the time I killed the Four Kings I'd already given it to Frampt anyway.

Anyway, went into the Catacombs. Went around for a while. Killed Pinwheel. Fell to my death in the area with the shiny color pebbles. Recovered my body. At all times failed to find much n the way of shortcuts. The only necromancer that dropped what I figure was a lantern died in a place I could not freaking access to.

This place is way more fucking irritating than Blighttown. At least with Bighttown being mostly open I had an idea of where I was going relative to everything else.

Considering spending the next 50000 souls in leveling two points in intelligence solely for cast light, given I probably lost that lantern forever.

• Options
    Sorry, by the time I killed the Four Kings I'd already given it to Frampt anyway.

Anyway, went into the Catacombs. Went around for a while. Killed Pinwheel. Fell to my death in the area with the shiny color pebbles. Recovered my body. At all times failed to find much n the way of shortcuts. The only necromancer that dropped what I figure was a lantern died in a place I could not freaking access to.

This place is way more fucking irritating than Blighttown. At least with Bighttown being mostly open I had an idea of where I was going relative to everything else.

Considering spending the next 50000 souls in leveling two points in intelligence solely for cast light, given I probably lost that lantern forever.

Yeah, you might be out of luck there. For the record, if something falls off a cliff and drops something, quit and reload and it should put the item on the cliff.

There's also the sunlight maggot in Lost Izalith for light-generating equips.

This discussion has been closed.