As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

[Dark Souls] If only I could be so grossly incandescent (as Durante) - Res fix in OP

• Options
    CorpekataCorpekata Registered User regular
    edited September 2012
    Gargoyle Helm has fans because it can be obtained really early and is really good in the early chunk of the game, so a lot of players doing PVP that keep their soul level low so they can gank newbies will try for it. You can do the First Bell fight and if the first gargoyle that dies doesn't drop it, you can let yourself get killed for more chances at it. So can more or less farm it really early with enough patience. It has good stats for the level in general, but also pretty decent elemental and status protection, as well as is pretty light and offers good poise.

Corpekata on
  • Options
    Solomaxwell6Solomaxwell6 Registered User regular
    Pharezon wrote: »
    Blegh, Smaugh and Ornstein.
    I've managed to kill Smaugh a few times. Uber-Ornstein just destroys me, though. I don't have any spells besides a couple of Pyromancy that won't be helpful here, I'm a melee character. I've decided to start using the Drake's Sword as my secondary weapon, so hopefully I can switch over to that from my Lightning Spear after Smaugh dies and deal more than 44 damage at a time. Still, this is NOT the time to be a melee char. I'm thinking of going human and getting some friends to help, but... I only have one twin humanity left, and that's it. So I really need to make it count when/if I do try.
    Drake sword is terrible for that fight. Use Quelaag's Furysword or some other weapon.

I don't have one! I'll see about picking up the components, thanks for the advice.

• Options
    The_SpaniardThe_Spaniard It's never lupines Irvine, CaliforniaRegistered User regular
    edited September 2012
    Corpekata wrote: »
    Gargoyle Helm has fans because it can be obtained really early and is really good in the early chunk of the game, so a lot of players doing PVP that keep their soul level low so they can gank newbies will try for it. You can do the First Bell fight and if the first gargoyle that dies doesn't drop it, you can let yourself get killed for more chances at it. So can more or less farm it really early with enough patience. It has good stats for the level in general, but also pretty decent elemental and status protection, as well as is pretty light and offers good poise.

Ok, so that's why it's worthless to me now late in the game, I just have seen tons of people wearing it, and people online were saying it's awesome, but my elite knight helm is better in pretty much every way, so I thought there might be some unlisted stats that it might have that made it great.

Now I just need help with the rest of my post.
    When I get invaded do I want to use my halberd or zweihander?

I also just got the gargoyle halberd in Anor Londo, I'm thinking of making it lightning, would that be a decent well rounded path to take it for PvE and the occasional PvP invader? If I do that I'd probably make my zweihander fire.

The_Spaniard on
    Playstation/Origin/GoG: Span_Wolf Xbox/uPlay/Bnet: SpanWolf Nintendo: Span_Wolf SW-7097-4917-9392 Steam: http://steamcommunity.com/id/Span_Wolf/
  • Options
    PolaritiePolaritie Sleepy Registered User regular
    edited September 2012

Ok, so that's why it's worthless to me now late in the game, I just have seen tons of people wearing it, and people online were saying it's awesome, but my elite knight helm is better in pretty much every way, so I thought there might be some unlisted stats that it might have that made it great.

I also just got the gargoyle halberd in Anor Londo, I'm thinking of making it lightning, would that be a decent well rounded path to take it for PvE and the occasional PvP invader? If I do that I'd probably make my zweihander fire.

My pyromancer is very happy with lightning gargoyle halberd, it does more than enough damage to let me hold back my castings when I'm in a particularly aggravating area, and has good attack animations as well (Anything that has both narrow forward hits for corridors and wide sweeps for open spaces is nice). As a bonus, it boosts your poison and bleed resistances when equipped (The tail axe does too).

I'm stuck on deciding covenant for my faith build. I'm currently Warrior of Sunlight (because Lightning Spear is nice to have. First undead dragon died to 9 casts from out of its range). I'm trying to decide between gravelord and darkmoon. Darkmoon lets me invade and gives a great weapon buff, but I can just kill Gwyndolin for Sunlight Blade (slightly lower modifier, lightning instead of magic damage) too and get the sword dance miracles. On the other hand, gravelord requires me to wait for people to invade me (while significantly encouraging it, admittedly).

Polaritie on
    Steam: Polaritie
    3DS: 0473-8507-2652
    Switch: SW-5185-4991-5118
    PSN: AbEntropy
  • Options
    MetaHybridMetaHybrid Taste defeat!Registered User regular
    Please tell me the dreaded "Sniper Run" are those two black Knight archers on opposite ends.

I'm scared of it being something more crazy.

3DS: 3265-5577-2211 NNID: Metahybrid
  • Options
    heenatoheenato Alice Leywind Registered User regular
    MetaHybrid wrote: »
    Please tell me the dreaded "Sniper Run" are those two black Knight archers on opposite ends.

You are correct. This is sniper run.

M A G I K A Z A M
  • Options
    edited September 2012
    heenato wrote: »

Also, they're merely silver knights. Not quite as tough. It's also not too hard once you get it down - just parry kill the right archer, silver/black knights using regular swords are fairly easy to parry, and the ledge is so narrow he'll probably fall to his death when you kick him off your blade.

Polaritie on
  • Options
    DouglasDangerDouglasDanger PennsylvaniaRegistered User regular
    How do I engage in jolly co-op with the soapstone? I use it in front of the Undead Parish Church, and then I wait, and nothing ever happens. I am Hollow, but I thought you could be summoned while Hollow.

• Options
    How do I engage in jolly co-op with the soapstone? I use it in front of the Undead Parish Church, and then I wait, and nothing ever happens. I am Hollow, but I thought you could be summoned while Hollow.

You can. Unfortunately, someone else has to summon you, and on top of that summoning is rather iffy atm.

• Options
    Polaritie wrote: »

Also, they're merely silver knights.

Thank god.

• Options
    LanrutconLanrutcon The LabyrinthRegistered User regular
    The light spell is the best thing ever for the Catacombs. I don't cast spells generally, but those 2 points of int? worth every soul.

Capture.jpg~original
    Currently playing: GW2 and TSW
  • Options
    jahsoldierjahsoldier Registered User regular
    Sorry to repeat the question but this is doing my nut in. If anyone has any answers please, please let me know

I'm playing this on Windows with an Xbox pad, and I have an annoying problem... basically my characters keep switching from a jog to a walk for no reason, which makes running around a pain (and boss fights even moreso because it's hard to sustain a run) Thought it might be a problem with the left stick, but it's a brand new pad (I got it just for Dark Souls) and it seems to be fine on other games (tested with Skyrim). Anyone else having this problem and know what I can do? It's really starting to grind the old gears.

• Options
    Lanrutcon wrote: »
    The four kings are ass. The game generally rewards slow, careful progress with planning, awareness and preparation.

You'd be surprised about how much the game rewards you for blindly charging around. As soon as you stop you're fucked, if you run into an area and stop to get your bearings you will be murder killed but keep on running and enemies will often fall far behind you. You can explore masses of the map this way and pickup helpful items.

That's mostly how I dealt with the Catacombs - ran around like a loon, occasionally kamikazeing against any necromancers I found - running so fast all the traps and ambushes were pretty much going off behind me. So what if I died - I'd discovered some new info and you keep any loot you find.

If I'd went slow and cautious I'd have never of found the Catacombs Blacksmith and then I wouldn't have my Fire Zweihander. And then I'd be sad.

It's how speed runs are done. I posted the half hour cheaty speedrun a few pages back, but you can find ones on youtube that aren't too much over an hour and playthrough the entire time game legit. Get naked for low encumbrance, and then just run/roll everywhere. Laugh as enemies fail to touch you.

I found the cheaty speedrun while at Sen's Fortress. Took me a bit over 10 hours to get that far. The speedrun makes it in 15 minutes (and hadn't done the glitch yet).

• Options
    edited September 2012
    4 Kings down. And accidentally scored another fire keeper soul.

Anor Londo didn't need her anyway.

I was headed back from Anor Londo to Undead Parish for a moment. I ran right past her, hesitated for a minute, then said "fuck it," turned around, and ruined her day.

Once you get the shortcuts she really doesn't do anything useful.

Edit to avoid triple posting:

Also, they're merely silver knights. Not quite as tough. It's also not too hard once you get it down - just parry kill the right archer, silver/black knights using regular swords are fairly easy to parry, and the ledge is so narrow he'll probably fall to his death when you kick him off your blade.

Yeah, I didn't actually think it was hard at all. Took me two tries. The first try, I got nervous when I saw the narrow ledge and the knight, so I started to run away... and he fell over without me stabbing him once. I would've made it but I was dumb and wasn't paying attention and the second archer knocked me off the ledge as I was headed back up. The second time I headed back up, actually fought him, and he fell over after I got him halfway down. Looks like it's mostly just a matter of paying attention to your surroundings and always moving.

Solomaxwell6 on
  • Options
    The light spell is the best thing ever for the Catacombs. I don't cast spells generally, but those 2 points of int? worth every soul.

Yeah, otherwise you need the Sunlight Maggot or the Skull Lantern. The maggot works well, since it only takes up the helm spot (as opposed to the far more valuable offhand spot). There's also a spot in the new areas where you open a secret passage by using one of the three - it leads to one of the new sorceries.
    jahsoldier wrote: »
    Sorry to repeat the question but this is doing my nut in. If anyone has any answers please, please let me know

I'm playing this on Windows with an Xbox pad, and I have an annoying problem... basically my characters keep switching from a jog to a walk for no reason, which makes running around a pain (and boss fights even moreso because it's hard to sustain a run) Thought it might be a problem with the left stick, but it's a brand new pad (I got it just for Dark Souls) and it seems to be fine on other games (tested with Skyrim). Anyone else having this problem and know what I can do? It's really starting to grind the old gears.

Just to be sure - have you made sure to plug the controller in with the sticks in the neutral position, are you running out of stamina in some fashion, and what's your equip load?

• Options
    My Battle Maiden in the Catacombs:
    DarkSouls1.jpg

Capture.jpg~original
  • Options
    jahsoldierjahsoldier Registered User regular
    Just to be sure - have you made sure to plug the controller in with the sticks in the neutral position, are you running out of stamina in some fashion, and what's your equip load?

Yep, I'm not touching the controller when I plug it in, and it's not to do with any in-game mechanic - it's just as if the controller doesn't register that the left stick's being pushed all the way out every so often. I was wondering if recalibrating the controller to increase the sensitivity might help, but I'm not sure how to do that and doing it through the control panel in Windows wasn't much help. Any way to make it more sensitive?

Also, I don't think I'm the only one having this problem - what this guy says sounds just like what's happening with me, and his answer didn't help me either.

• Options
    SatsumomoSatsumomo Rated PG! Registered User regular

Huh? Really? I got that on my first try, I headed straitght for the guy on the right, neither of them were able to hit me, killed him easily with my gargoyle halberd. The other dude might have fallen off, or he's not able to hit you if you're next to the guy on the right.

• Options
    DouglasDangerDouglasDanger PennsylvaniaRegistered User regular

You can. Unfortunately, someone else has to summon you, and on top of that summoning is rather iffy atm.

Oh, OK. Thanks.

• Options
    krylon666krylon666 Registered User regular
    Nice screenshot @Lanrutcon - what's your build looking like?

• Options
    Satsumomo wrote: »

Huh? Really? I got that on my first try, I headed straitght for the guy on the right, neither of them were able to hit me, killed him easily with my gargoyle halberd. The other dude might have fallen off, or he's not able to hit you if you're next to the guy on the right.

He's not able to - the level creates a blind spot there. He can hit you for part of the path right before you close in though, but there's enough time between shots you're liable to move from the big blind spot at the top of the ramp to the blind spot in front of the other archer quickly enough, and they tend to be synced, so if you dodge roll one you dodge roll the other.

• Options
    WalkerWalker BlightyRegistered User regular

I found the cheaty speedrun while at Sen's Fortress. Took me a bit over 10 hours to get that far. The speedrun makes it in 15 minutes (and hadn't done the glitch yet).

I enjoyed watching that. I'm not bad at certain runs myself but the way he sprinted across those beams in the first part of Anor Londo was pretty...confidant. I usually tippy-toe my way across at like 1 mile an hour. Although I love breaking into Anor Londo with a crack team of summoned phantoms I tend to do the first bit myself in case I embarrass myself by falling off and completely wasting their time.

• Options
    krylon666 wrote: »
    Nice screenshot @Lanrutcon - what's your build looking like?

40 Dex, 30 End, 30 Vit, 12 Faith, 14 Intelligence:
    Bloodshield+15 + Silver Knight Spear+5, <casting implement> + Black Bow of Pharos +15 on swap, Havel's Ring + <open ring slot for whatever>, Havel's armor set + Wanderer Hood.

I stay just barely below 50% weight so I can dodge when necessary, using my spear and bow to out-range baddies.

Capture.jpg~original
  • Options

Hah Gargoyle Halbred, that's what I'm still using at that point as well. But my strength is pretty low, so I can't wield all the cool stuff.

• Options
    SatsumomoSatsumomo Rated PG! Registered User regular
    I'm on the exact same boat, I'm doing a str build but everything is either for dex or the str stuff needs you to have 36+ str.

How does PVP work? As in, what are the level tiers or how does the game decide who to match you against?

• Options
    edited September 2012
    I think you can summon / be invaded by anyone below you in level, up to your SL + (SL/10) + 10. So level 10 can summon up to level 21. Invaders can invade up in level to whatever, but the min is their level I think (or close to it). Actually, that may depend on how you're invading (forest covenant or darkwraith, etc).

edit: I don't know how the new content pvp arena stuff works, but it sounds cool.

krylon666 on
  • Options
    How does PVP work? As in, what are the level tiers or how does the game decide who to match you against?

To quote the Wiki, "Players can only be matched with other players who are within a certain level range. The formula for finding the range is roughly +/- (10 + 10% of the player's level). This means that if you take ten percent of your player's current level, add the number ten to that, you can add or subtract the resulting number to your level to find out the levels you can be matched with. For example, a level 50 player can be matched with players between levels 35 and 65."

However, in the Forest Hunter Covenant there is no upper level cap so you can end up invading players way above your soul level. Also there are twinks who know how to get good weapons quick while keeping a low level, and twinked gankers who just like to hang around in 2's and 3's and beat the crap out of you.
    Most worrying is the recent signs on PC of players with very high stats but with artificially low soul levels who if left unchecked could totally break the co-op/pvp aspect of the game.

• Options
    Alistair HuttonAlistair Hutton Dr EdinburghRegistered User regular
    The four kings are ass. The game generally rewards slow, careful progress with planning, awareness and preparation.

You'd be surprised about how much the game rewards you for blindly charging around. As soon as you stop you're fucked, if you run into an area and stop to get your bearings you will be murder killed but keep on running and enemies will often fall far behind you. You can explore masses of the map this way and pickup helpful items.

That's mostly how I dealt with the Catacombs - ran around like a loon, occasionally kamikazeing against any necromancers I found - running so fast all the traps and ambushes were pretty much going off behind me. So what if I died - I'd discovered some new info and you keep any loot you find.

If I'd went slow and cautious I'd have never of found the Catacombs Blacksmith and then I wouldn't have my Fire Zweihander. And then I'd be sad.

It's how speed runs are done. I posted the half hour cheaty speedrun a few pages back, but you can find ones on youtube that aren't too much over an hour and playthrough the entire time game legit. Get naked for low encumbrance, and then just run/roll everywhere. Laugh as enemies fail to touch you.

It took me X amount of hours to get the Lord Vessel my first time through, where X was a large number. On my NG+ run (without the Master Key) it took me 2.5 hours to get to Smaugh and Ornstein and that's only because I spectacularly fucked up both the Gargoyle's and Quellag's boss fights so I had to do them multiple times.

I have a thoughtful and infrequently updated blog about games http://whatithinkaboutwhenithinkaboutgames.wordpress.com/

I made a game, it has penguins in it. It's pay what you like on Gumroad.

Currently Ebaying Nothing at all but I might do in the future.
  • Options
    Sadly, save game editing has always been an issue (console as well) - I think it's something you just have to hope you don't run into. I'm pretty sure I ran into it myself. I fought an invade around level 10 who was holding havels shield (and wearing a heavy set I didn't recognize, maybe from O&S)- pretty sure that's not possible stat-wise in that level range.

• Options
    Adam BombAdam Bomb Registered User regular

The four kings? nah, fuck that shit! WHAT'S YOUR DPS BRO?!?!

Pure hyperbole. Here is a video of a wanderer, starting level and equipment (though the equipment is upgraded), taking on all 4 at once. Zero poise and masterful dodging.

• Options
    krylon666 wrote: »
    Sadly, save game editing has always been an issue (console as well) - I think it's something you just have to hope you don't run into. I'm pretty sure I ran into it myself. I fought an invade around level 10 who was holding havels shield (and wearing a heavy set I didn't recognize, maybe from O&S)- pretty sure that's not possible stat-wise in that level range.

I've seen plenty of yt footage of XBox infinity health/endurance hackers but I play PS3 and the worst I've had are Dragons Head abusers and bottomless box twinks (both nerfed in PTD/dlc). You can carry some quite heavy stuff at a low level with the right rings (on console at least) but what you describe sounds a bit outrageous - cheating mofo's.
    I dont mind getting ganked in the forest, you learn how to deal with it, the feeling you get when you kill your first ganker crew is an amazing high, like when you finally manage to take down Capra for the first time, but players with maxed out stats operating at SL 1 is too much.

• Options
    KainyKainy Pimpin' and righteous Registered User regular
    edited September 2012
    Drascin wrote: »
    Sorry, by the time I killed the Four Kings I'd already given it to Frampt anyway.

Anyway, went into the Catacombs. Went around for a while. Killed Pinwheel. Fell to my death in the area with the shiny color pebbles. Recovered my body. At all times failed to find much n the way of shortcuts. The only necromancer that dropped what I figure was a lantern died in a place I could not freaking access to.

This place is way more fucking irritating than Blighttown. At least with Bighttown being mostly open I had an idea of where I was going relative to everything else.

Considering spending the next 50000 souls in leveling two points in intelligence solely for cast light, given I probably lost that lantern forever.

Cast light is worth it, but you can get a guaranteed lantern a very short way into the Tomb of the Giants, down where you get kicked by everybody's favorite asshole, Patches.

But having to have the lantern out at all times, in place of either a weapon or shield, against those fucking dog skeletons, is suicidal. 14 int is basically a prerequisite to any character I'll take through that place.

Just went through Dragonslayer Greatbow alley. Took me 3 tries.

Remember, kids, if an enemy strikes your shield with their weapon, they'll bounce off, and if you're standing in the right place...

Kainy on
    IcyLiquid wrote: »
    There's anti-fuckery code in there now :) Sorry :)
  • Options
    edited September 2012
    Adam Bomb wrote: »

Pure hyperbole. Here is a video of a wanderer, starting level and equipment (though the equipment is upgraded), taking on all 4 at once. Zero poise and masterful dodging.

Because I'm sure that guy is busy with his first playthrough :)

Edit: For the skeleton dogs you want to open with a jump attack (forward + heavy attack). If you're two-handing a big enough weapon that puts them near death. Follow up it up a quick poke while they retaliate with their swipe attack (the least threatening of all their moves) and they'll fall over. Just don't jump attack into the group of 3 skeleton dogs :(

Lanrutcon on
    Capture.jpg~original
  • Options

[/quote]

To expand a little on what Corpekata said about it, the Gargoyle helm has the 2nd best poise/weight for a helmet, losing only to Havel's helm, which is much heavier and slows stamina regent. That's what makes it good.

• Options
    AistanAistan Tiny Bat Registered User regular
    edited September 2012
    Walker wrote: »
    Most worrying is the recent signs on PC of players with very high stats but with artificially low soul levels who if left unchecked could totally break the co-op/pvp aspect of the game.

I went through the top 100 players in the Book of the Guilty the other day, filing cheating complaints though LIVE against those who had 99s in all stats but were soul level 30 or whatever. Doubt it'll do anything but it made me feel better.

In non-narc related news, I finally managed to beat the last two bosses in the new content areas. Didn't manage to get the tail weapon for the optional one, but i'm not a strength build anyway and he rarely gives you an opportunity to hit his tail. I'd say it's harder than getting Seath's.

Aistan on
  • Options
    Adam Bomb wrote: »

Because I'm sure that guy is busy with his first playthrough :)

Edit: For the skeleton dogs you want to open with a jump attack (forward + heavy attack). If you're two-handing a big enough weapon that puts them near death. Follow up it up a quick poke while they retaliate with their swipe attack (the least threatening of all their moves) and they'll fall over. Just don't jump attack into the group of 3 skeleton dogs :(

Sorry, I didn't mean to imply that beating the Four Kings this way was easy. I was reacting to the exaggerated claim that the ONLY way to beat the Four Kings is with poise and DPS. It might be the easiest way, and I did not intend to represent that it wasn't. It just isn't the only way.

• Options
    SorensonSorenson Registered User regular
    Siegmayer:
    Aw man. I made sure to clear out all but one of the chaos eaters in the Demon Ruins before letting him have at it (and he soundly trounced it too, no less) and yet he still bit it by the time I hit Ash Lake (which was the only damn reason I bothered with the fucking Great Hollow as it is). Does talking twice to Sieglinda at the Duke's Archives count for that "don't talk to her except at very specific points" thing?

• Options
    edited September 2012
    Kainy wrote: »
    Drascin wrote: »
    Sorry, by the time I killed the Four Kings I'd already given it to Frampt anyway.

Anyway, went into the Catacombs. Went around for a while. Killed Pinwheel. Fell to my death in the area with the shiny color pebbles. Recovered my body. At all times failed to find much n the way of shortcuts. The only necromancer that dropped what I figure was a lantern died in a place I could not freaking access to.

This place is way more fucking irritating than Blighttown. At least with Bighttown being mostly open I had an idea of where I was going relative to everything else.

Considering spending the next 50000 souls in leveling two points in intelligence solely for cast light, given I probably lost that lantern forever.

Cast light is worth it, but you can get a guaranteed lantern a very short way into the Tomb of the Giants, down where you get kicked by everybody's favorite asshole, Patches.

But having to have the lantern out at all times, in place of either a weapon or shield, against those fucking dog skeletons, is suicidal. 14 int is basically a prerequisite to any character I'll take through that place.

Just went through Dragonslayer Greatbow alley. Took me 3 tries.

Remember, kids, if an enemy strikes your shield with their weapon, they'll bounce off, and if you're standing in the right place...

Skull Lantern is definitely the worst option there. Sunlight Maggot is vastly superior. Cast Light is iffy, since it requires 14 int, and the Maggot isn't too hard to get (Assuming you can reach Lost Izalith, or are a Chaos Servant, as Ceaseless Discharge is one of the most cheesable bosses in the game).

With my faith char, Darkmoon Blades or Gravelord Servant?

Polaritie on
  • Options
    Moridin889Moridin889 Registered User regular

My pyromancer is very happy with lightning gargoyle halberd, it does more than enough damage to let me hold back my castings when I'm in a particularly aggravating area, and has good attack animations as well (Anything that has both narrow forward hits for corridors and wide sweeps for open spaces is nice). As a bonus, it boosts your poison and bleed resistances when equipped (The tail axe does too).

I'm stuck on deciding covenant for my faith build. I'm currently Warrior of Sunlight (because Lightning Spear is nice to have. First undead dragon died to 9 casts from out of its range). I'm trying to decide between gravelord and darkmoon. Darkmoon lets me invade and gives a great weapon buff, but I can just kill Gwyndolin for Sunlight Blade (slightly lower modifier, lightning instead of magic damage) too and get the sword dance miracles. On the other hand, gravelord requires me to wait for people to invade me (while significantly encouraging it, admittedly).

Gravelord gives miracles and a sword. Both apply toxic. Both are pretty good. If you get toxic on an opponent then its over. Just back off and wait for them to keel over.

Also the eyes are super cheap to buy, compared to how rough it is to get max rank for other covenants

• Options
    Wow, my victory over Uber-Ornstein was really unsatisfying.

Mother fucker glitched out. It was down to the wire. I was out of Estus, but Ornstein was close to death. I probably would've won, and it would've been a great feeling. Finally, he used his spear attack where he lifts you into the air and throws you to the ground, and just disappeared. Where did he go? Fuck you, that's where he went. I chilled out for a minute, then got the "Yo dawg, you win" message and my ill-gotten rewards. Fuck, even in victory Dark Souls is an asshole.

This discussion has been closed.