As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/

City of Heroes or Villains or Rogues

• NarbusNarbus Registered User regular
    Their competition is "MMOs." Just read this thread a bit, see how many "This is the only MMO I came back to," or "this is the first MMO I played" comments there are. There is a certain percentage of people willing to play MMOs in general, no matter if they're an elf or a giant robot.

• HammerHeartHammerHeart Registered User new member
    I beta tested this game over 8 and a half years ago and have continued playing this game ever since. The community of people surrounding CoH, the Devs, the players, even the 3rd party companies, are the most wonderful gamers I've ever encountered and in my opinion, no game in the world had a more caring, dedicated group of developers than Paragon Studios.

In a vast sea of 'yet another fantasy-based MMO', CoH is completely unique and now that specialness is being crushed and taken off the playing field. NCSoft doesn't even want to sell it. Even though CoH is a popular game that is making money for them, they simply want to kill that potential competition. According to their own reports, CoH made 2.5 million for NCSoft in just the 2nd quarter of this year.

This action on the part of NCSoft should cause outrage all across the gaming industry. You don't treat customers or dedicated employees in that manner, and if publishers like NCSoft aren't sent a loud and clear message this this is not acceptable, then GuildWars 2 may well find themselves in the same situation down the road because this is not the first time NCSoft has done this to a game - remember Tabla Rasa? it is unfair to the good people at ArenaNet, but if they are paying attention to this, as I'm certain they are, then they should be actively seeking another publisher.

• TubeTube Registered User admin
    Narbles we're going to play before the end right

• NarbusNarbus Registered User regular
    Yes we are. I'm moving today and tomorrow, but after that I'll be in a new city and have no friends so I'll have so much time. Lemme know when.

• Raw ConcreteRaw Concrete Registered User regular
    Shine on you crazy diamond.
    vQCeO.jpg

Oh, come and shake me 'till I'm dry
  • Gear GirlGear Girl More class than a state university Registered User regular
    Since we are revealing things. I know this will be a shock for many of you but I am a man.

• PonyPony Registered User regular
    but...

• CaedereCaedere S'no regrets BIRDIESRegistered User regular
    CoH was my first real MMO (I played Horizons a bit, Earth and Beyond a week before it closed).

I loved it dearly, and still do—it's the game that set such high standards for dev team behavior for me.

It's a shame to see it go... I still have all of my old screenshots and the music videos I made from back in the day, too.

Personally, I strongly suspect that it's being shuttered in order for NCSoft to have more resources to funnel into GW2. If so, then... well, I hope it works for the best, and I hope ArenaNet is able to snag a bunch of personnel from Paragon Studios. (To be honest, I stopped playing before it switched hands from Cryptic to PS).

FWnykYl.jpg
  • ScooterScooter Registered User regular
    Wait

were we supposed to think Japh was a man

• RingoRingo He/Him a distinct lack of substanceRegistered User regular
    There was some confusion for people who joined post 2006 or so

Sterica wrote: »
    I know my last visit to my grandpa on his deathbed was to find out how the whole Nazi werewolf thing turned out.
    Edcrab's Exigency RPG
  • StericaSterica Yes Registered User, Moderator mod
    edited September 2012
    Gear Girl wrote: »
    Since we are revealing things. I know this will be a shock for many of you but I am a man.
    If it wouldn't get me in trouble, I'd change your name to Gear Guy.

Actually, it'd probably Lugnut Liar.

Sterica on
    YL9WnCY.png
  • guruslothgurusloth Registered User regular
    Accualt wrote: »
    The Squadron! - just a hilarious themed group of alien police officers who really didn't understand Earf.
    agglomerateaa0.jpg
    hey that's me on the far right! Neutron Squadron I believe was his name...lemme see if I got another pic lying around

ahh, here we are
    856921191_c731c9ac9b.jpg

• GhostalkerGhostalker Registered User regular
    Gear Girl wrote: »

There's no disagree button to share my feelings toward this statement.

steam_sig.png
  • see317see317 Registered User regular
    edited September 2012
    Nocren wrote: »
    It's not the fact that it's ending, but how. We always knew it would end, but that there would be a build up of sorts, the culmination of years of story telling and resolving the majority of loose ends.

But not like this.

I want to make an analogy here, but nothing seems to fit. Like drowning a bag of kittens because you're a dog person?
    Like if Marvel fired all their staff and torched all their inventory?

It's like visiting a dying relative in the hospital. You know your relative's passing on pretty soon, but you want the chance to listen to their stories and talk to them one last time. Besides which, they're actually doing a little better then they where last time you visited, still not likely to get back to 100%, but no longer on death's door either. While visiting the relative gets into telling a truly fascinating story. It rambles for a while, but it always keeps your attention. Then, just as they're getting to what promises to be a truly epic climax in the story, Nurse Soft walks in and pulls the plug.
    Flatline. Your relative's gone. You'll never know how the story ends. The nurse shrugs and tells you that they needed the space.

I guess that's my blatant exaggeration and overreaction quota for the week.

see317 on
  • StericaSterica Yes Registered User, Moderator mod
    I know my last visit to my grandpa on his deathbed was to find out how the whole Nazi werewolf thing turned out.

YL9WnCY.png
  • OwenashiOwenashi Registered User regular
    I have to admit, I'm kinda glad I wasn't able to spend money on unlocking access to the second SSA yet because then I really would have been invested in it's story and thus be even more upset over not seeing it's end.

I could tell you about it and then you can get upset for free!

Edcrab's Exigency RPG
  • guruslothgurusloth Registered User regular
    some other pics of my toons

Powerblaze (became Teknoblaze when I moved him from his original server to Virtue): a fire/dev blaster I was really planning to play the crap out of when the blaster changes dropped
    7917688658_e149a5eec6_b.jpg

Fleeting Shadow: my first lvl 50 and only hero to make it to 50. a dark melee/super reflexes scrapper. When shield defense came out I rolled a similar character, a dark melee/shield brute (Nightwarder Zero) who only made it to 41. Then Street Justice came out and I resisted the urge to re-roll the brute as Street Justice/Shield Defense. Street Justice is still pretty badass, though.
    7917687542_f4e31e1fd1_z.jpg

H A Z - M A T : my other 50, this time on redside. A radiation/thermal corruptor. I felt bad for anyone trying to add me to a team by typing out my name, what with all the spaces in it, but fuck it, that name owns. Marvel later on made a character with that exact same name and a similar theme (trapped inside a protective suit to keep everyone around from getting sick/dying) for their Avengers Academy title. Their character was female and used a yellow/black color scheme, though.
    7917687084_dbfab3315d.jpg

• EmperorSethEmperorSeth Registered User regular
    Like pretty much everyone, I'm going back to CoH for a while for its swansong. Going from old VIP to Premium, though. Can anyone help me figure out the global/server slot thing? I have 3 globals and 0 servers right now, apparently. Can these be used on old characters? I don't want to waste one on a new character if it means I can't unlock an old one.

You know what? Nanowrimo's cancelled on account of the world is stupid.
  • FiarynFiaryn Omnicidal Madman Registered User regular
    Fuck everything.

I can only hope private servers might salvage CoX somehow. I know it won't end up happening, but I'd like to hope. :(

Soul Silver FC: 1935 3141 6240
    White FC: 0819 3350 1787
    You can use Globals on old characters, yes

Edcrab's Exigency RPG
  • LawndartLawndart Registered User regular
    Rorus Raz wrote: »

Were his last words "Today Germany, tomorrow the mooooooon!"?

• EmperorSethEmperorSeth Registered User regular
    Well, I got my main hero unlocked. It felt good playing Angsty again after about half a decade. Unfortunately, the power set I wanted to try on a new character, dual pistols, is money locked. So much for that plan; I'll have to think of something new then.

You know what? Nanowrimo's cancelled on account of the world is stupid.
  • WeX MajorsWeX Majors 8th Floor, MegashipRegistered User regular
    We will *never* get to see Colorized Power Pools.
    Hasten and Super Speed will forever be yellow.
    I will have been stuck having to keep Purple as a color scheme to match Power Slide, for the entirety of this game.
    Teleport will always be way too short distance-wise and involve too much clicking.
    Blasters will never be able to return to their City Of Blasters glory days.

HOWEVER
    Rag Doll Control was turned awesome, and people got to remember why the fuck they took Gravity Control in the first place.
    Water Blast came out and allowed me to finally have fun with my character I ripped off from a Shower Installation Company.
    We got every stupid Emmert character killed off and finally had a World Without A Superman, if only for a few brief awesome months.
    WE WERE ON THE MOTHERFUCKING MOON
    I got a character, just in time, to level 50
    wKdk1.jpg

I'm kind of glad that I only know you guys as acquaintances, because if I was any more attached to you motherucking nerds, I'd probably have random bursts of tears over the next few months. As it stands, it's way easier for me to focus on the positives that this game brought, and maybe if all of our account do slowly go freemium over the next few months, focus on the positives that this game ending so suddenly will bring.
    Has anyone made a Steam Group or something similar so that we can all keep in touch post-CoX? I know some of you are in my Steam List already, and maybe if you all decide to dick around a bit in Champions or whatever, I'll head there.

• GlalGlal AiredaleRegistered User regular
    Gah, I want to go through all my characters and take screenshots of their costumes and bios, but I'm not really thrilled to throw $15 at a dead MMO just to be able to access them all. :(

• AstaleAstale Registered User regular
    Glal wrote: »
    Gah, I want to go through all my characters and take screenshots of their costumes and bios, but I'm not really thrilled to throw $15 at a dead MMO just to be able to access them all. :(

Can't anyways, they're not letting people pay for subs from now on.

• GlalGlal AiredaleRegistered User regular
    FFS, I have some amazing stuff in there. I hope someone thinks to unlock people's character slots...

• LawndartLawndart Registered User regular
    Glal wrote: »

If it helps, you can take screenshots of every character from the character select screen, and you should have enough veteran points to unlock at least a few characters to take in-game screenshots of.

• MuddBuddMuddBudd Registered User regular
    Hopefully someone just unlocks VIP for everyone before the end.

So I figure best case scenario out of all this, someone convinces NCsoft to sell the IP, and they make COH2.

There's no plan, there's no race to be run
    The harder the rain, honey, the sweeter the sun.
  • INeedNoSaltINeedNoSalt with blood on my teeth Registered User regular
    Hey guys. It's Acronym X.

I still love you all.

• Fartacus_the_MightyFartacus_the_Mighty Brought to you by the letter A.Registered User regular
    Best case scenario would be either "hay guys the whole shutdown thing was our bad; one of our accountants got totes drunk and started firing everyone, so we hired everybody back on and everything shall continue as usual" or perhaps "we are transferring the game, accounts, and character DB to company X, who will reform Paragon and everything shall continue on as usual."

• MuddBuddMuddBudd Registered User regular
    I meant the best case scenario in reality.

There's no plan, there's no race to be run
    The harder the rain, honey, the sweeter the sun.
  • OwenashiOwenashi Registered User regular
    Anyone up for old lore documents?
    Jim Hague of the rpg.net forums just posted an old, OLD (pre-CoV) copy of the game bible he had from when he was working on the City of Heroes tabletop RPG from a while back. Also has a bunch of write-ups he did for the RPG as well.

https://docs.google.com/open?id=0BypRfkMsgQOiUXJLUzY4QlhtN2M

Might be of interest to Lore whores (like me)

• Fartacus_the_MightyFartacus_the_Mighty Brought to you by the letter A.Registered User regular
    MuddBudd wrote: »
    I meant the best case scenario in reality.

:cry:

• GhostalkerGhostalker Registered User regular
    So if the dev team can't put together an end event what are we going to do?

This SG has always managed to put together stuff even when States ran the show.

steam_sig.png
  • PonyPony Registered User regular
    it appears they've shut down the official forums

• DalantiaDalantia Registered User regular
    Yeah, I can't seem to log in to the forums.

steam_sig.png
    DS Friend code: 3840-6605-3406
  • LepLep Registered User regular
    Forums are still working for me.

• korodullinkorodullin What. SCRegistered User regular
    You can view them, but all the subforums are locked.

ZvOMJnu.png
    - The Four Horsemen of the Apocalypse (2017, colorized)
  • HenroidHenroid Mexican kicked from Immigration Thread Centrism is Racism :3Registered User regular
    So we're not getting that tell-all from the devs about storylines / lore points that didn't get covered.