As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

Dark Souls -- PC Version Launches On Steam August 23rd!

• Options
    GoatmonGoatmon Companion of Kess Registered User regular
    SLyM wrote: »
    Also, that what that mod does is give you 2 resolutions, the one the game plays at, and the one it displays at. If you put the display resolution really low, but keep the game playing on a high one, it'll have to work really hard on the AA. If you put them at the same, or even have it display larger than it runs at, it will be a lot smoother. You have to go into the file that you put in your directory to make the change.

I have no idea how to do any of that.

Switch Friend Code: SW-6680-6709-4204

• Options
    BarcardiBarcardi All the Wizards Under A Rock: AfganistanRegistered User regular
    not to mention that stupid bottomless box glitch that's been plaguing the game since like a week after launch.

what glitch is this? I always buy that box then never use it.

• Options
    Bluedude152Bluedude152 Registered User regular
    Your able to bring items over to a new character using the box. It's incredibly easy

p0a2ody6sqnt.jpg
  • Options
    SLyMSLyM Registered User regular
    You're using DSfix, right?

Because what you have to do is go into your dark souls/DATA folder, then open up the file called DSfix that has "configuration settings" as its type with like notepad or whatever.

There are two places where it will say resolutions:
    # internal rendering resolution of the game
    renderWidth 1366
    renderHeight 760

and

# The display width/height
    presentWidth 1366
    presentHeight 760

(I pulled these out of mine, which is why it shows the bizzaro resolutions)

If you're running slowly with the mod installed, reduce the internal rendering one, it starts off super high. I have mine 1:1 which has no AA because my computer is kinda poop from a butt. With it like this it runs at a higher resolution at about the same speed as it did for me before installing DSfix

My friend is working on a roguelike game you can play if you want to. (It has free demo)
  • Options
    VALVEjunkieVALVEjunkie Registered User regular
    Your able to bring items over to a new character using the box. It's incredibly easy

which results in incredibly low level players using gear they shouldn't have to wreck other players in pvp.

• Options
    SLyMSLyM Registered User regular
    Well it's not like there is any gear that's locked to a particular level or anything, as far as I'm aware. You can totally get every item in the game without leveling up once legitimately.

It's pretty dumb but it doesn't let anyone get anything they literally wouldn't have been able to otherwise if they tried hard enough.

My friend is working on a roguelike game you can play if you want to. (It has free demo)
  • Options
    DouglasDangerDouglasDanger PennsylvaniaRegistered User regular
    I think you can get stuff, sure. But some of the weapons have really high stat requirements, and some of the armor suits are really, really heavy. There is no way a level... 10 player should have the points to dump into strength and dexterity to wield a huge ass anime sword or a sick nasty scythe the size of a telephone pole.

• Options
    ButtfortButtfort don't go to church on a sunday got my own special wayRegistered User regular
    most of the low-level duders like that use weapons with fairly low requirements and enchanted with big wads of lightning damage. If you start out as a pyromancer (the only class that starts at level 1) you've got 9 stat points to spread around (if we're shooting for level 10), which'll get you up to 16 str and 10 dex with 4 points to play around with. That'll let you use a claymore, which is a pretty excellent weapon. With a Ring of Favor and Protection, Havel's Ring and the Mask of the Father you can equip some pretty heavy gear without having to pump your endurance much at all.

And there's always pyromancy, which doesn't rely on your soul level at all for effectiveness.

Low health would always be a problem, though, not a whole lot you can do about that.

• Options
    augustaugust where you come from is gone Registered User regular
    CATS AREN"T SUPPOSED TO ROLL

CATS AREN'T SUPPOSED TO ROLL

• Options
    ButtfortButtfort don't go to church on a sunday got my own special wayRegistered User regular
    those motherfucking cats

• Options
    PharezonPharezon Struggle is an illusion. Victory is in the Qun.Registered User regular
    august wrote: »
    CATS AREN"T SUPPOSED TO ROLL

CATS AREN'T SUPPOSED TO ROLL

:rotate:

jkZziGc.png
  • Options
    OR CHEW PEOPLE TO DEATH

THAT ALSO IS A THING THAT JUST HAPPENED

• Options
    I FUCKIN HATE THOSE CATS

GRAAAAAAH FUCK THOSE CATS

• Options
    I just don't even fuck around with that part of darkroot

those goddamn cats

• Options
    DarmakDarmak RAGE vympyvvhyc vyctyvyRegistered User regular
    You guys talking about the bear cats in the woods?

JtgVX0H.png
  • Options
    DarmakDarmak RAGE vympyvvhyc vyctyvyRegistered User regular
    Because fuck those things until they die

JtgVX0H.png
  • Options
    I put on Havel's set and tanked them. Made me do the fatty roll but didn't really matter much.

• Options
    Bluedude152Bluedude152 Registered User regular
    Fire. Fire is the only solution. Burn the entire forest to the ground

p0a2ody6sqnt.jpg
  • Options
    fuck me I got cursed in the great hollow with no curse recoveries

wheeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeee

• Options
    wow, this undead female merchant is so pathetic and creepy, geez

• Options
    BahamutZEROBahamutZERO Registered User regular
    Nerdgasmic wrote: »
    the counter next to the health bar is loose humanity

the counter in the bottom right is the loose soul counter

you need to spend loose humanity to kindle fires, turn human, and rank up with certain covenants

also, for every loose humanity you have up to 30, you get a boost to all of your defenses, resistances, and item drop rate

They changed the humanity bonuses in the big patch on the console version to give the max benefit at 10 humanity in all areas where it gave the max at 30 before. I'd be very surprised if the PC port was used the earlier version of the game since that patch fixed a ton of things.

BahamutZERO.gif
  • Options
    wow, this undead female merchant is so pathetic and creepy, geez

that could accurately describe almost everyone in the game except maybe Solaire

• Options
    it sure is a hike back to the capra demon from firelink shrine, goddamn

• Options
    If at all possible get some co-op help with the Capra Demon because fuck that guy.

• Options
    I didn't see any signs anywhere near the fog door. Is there another place to look?

• Options
    Not really! Make sure you're human though if you're looking to summon people.

• Options
    edited September 2012
    I was human, the first two times. Then I died three or four times as a Hollow.

And then I went human again, found a sign, summoning failed. I spotted another sign, summoned a dude, walked through the door, pitched a firebomb, and then rolled right into a dog, and then saw nothing but vines and died.

Now, I am out of humanity.

DouglasDanger on
  • Options
    A good way to get some humanity would be to go put down your own sign in front of the boss gate. If you guys lose you don't lose anything, if you win you get humanity and a bunch of souls. Also practice fighting the boss.

Also you can summon two guys.

• Options
    I spent hours hanging out in front of the Undead Parish Church, just standing there, waiting to be summoned and never got a bite.

I will try that tomorrow though.

• Options
    edited September 2012
    SLyM wrote: »
    You're using DSfix, right?

Because what you have to do is go into your dark souls/DATA folder, then open up the file called DSfix that has "configuration settings" as its type with like notepad or whatever.

There are two places where it will say resolutions:
    # internal rendering resolution of the game
    renderWidth 1366
    renderHeight 760

and

# The display width/height
    presentWidth 1366
    presentHeight 760

(I pulled these out of mine, which is why it shows the bizzaro resolutions)

If you're running slowly with the mod installed, reduce the internal rendering one, it starts off super high. I have mine 1:1 which has no AA because my computer is kinda poop from a butt. With it like this it runs at a higher resolution at about the same speed as it did for me before installing DSfix

Tried tinkering with the 2 resolution settings, and had nothing but worse performance for every option I tried until I just removed the mod. With the mod, no matter what I do, it goes from having a bad framerate to straight-up slow motion AND bad frame rate.

Seems like the entire point of it is to crank UP the graphics. When I tried lowing the settings to a certain point well below the normal level, the game became unstable and started crashing before I even got to the main menu.

Also, I contacted live support and got my online stuff handled.

Except now it tells me my framerate is so bad that I am not allowed to have online play.

:(

Goatmon on

• Options
    BarcardiBarcardi All the Wizards Under A Rock: AfganistanRegistered User regular
    Goddamn the new dragon is such a pain to kill.

• Options
    i don't know what to tell you, @goatmon
    maybe your computer isn't up for the task

i'm starting to think this is another game that will be handicapped by my shitty 1.3 mbps internet. i run through levels as a human, but i hardly ever see summoning signs

• Options
    edited September 2012
    Okay how the hell do I get the stupid key for the shortcut by that bridge?

Lost 6k fucking souls to that god damned dragon lighting the bridge on fire, and then got gored by MechaPuumba, and I don't much feel like running through it again before I have a solid idea on where I'm going.

(I'm actually having fun now, btw)

Goatmon on

• Options
    where are you goatmon, what level are you

• Options
    Is there a variety of levels where a dragon lights a bridge on fire, and you are prone to running into giant armored boars?

If so, I'm still on the second stage. Last important thing I did was take out the Taurus demon, but I need the key for the door that supposedly opens a shortcut to the bonfire, and as much work as it is to get that far again, I don't much feel like running it over and over again without knowing exactly what I'm looking for.

• Options
    do you want some tips, or do you want to figure it out?

don't try to fight that dragon, run up the right side of the bridge. You will probably get blasted, but you should survive

about halfway across, there is a staircase on the right. it is near the spot with the hollow warrior guys

go in there

the key for the door to lower undead burg is sold by the undead merchant in undead burg, i think

• Options
    Indie WinterIndie Winter die Krähe Rudi Hurzlmeier (German, b. 1952)Registered User regular
    glad to hear things seem to be working out Goatmon

how'd the framerate issue get resolved?

wY6K6Jb.gif
  • Options
    edited September 2012
    i think i am wrong about that key

that metal pig is a miniboss, so once you kill it, it is gone

DouglasDanger on
  • Options
    the key for the door to lower undead burg is sold by the undead merchant in undead burg, i think
    Oh fuck I hope not

...'cause I accidentally murdered him.

• Options
    Also, I just ended up scrapping the mod and cranking the resolution down to 800x600.

the Framerate is still crappy but playable.

I've worked with far, FAR worse, to be honest.

Back when I first played Dragon Age Origins I had single digit framerate.

My first playthrough of that game was entirely in slow motion.

This discussion has been closed.